• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple sources: George H.W. Bush says privately he is voting for Hillary

Who will George HW Bush Vote For?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Er - this collection of words seems like it would work a lot better with Trump at the end instead of Hillary.

You mean the man running a private business who constantly brags about his wealth isn't concerned about the status of private businesses and wealth?

Well I never

chadskin

QHxBI.jpg

Was George Sr. a good president? The only ones I've known were Bill Clinton, Dubya, and Obama.

Good to see he has some common sense.

He was smart enough to stop at the Kuwait border.

He wasn't smart enough to not make promises he couldn't keep, most infamously "Read my lips: No New Taxes".

In the end he fell victim to being 3rd-partied by Ross Perot, who siphoned enough Republican votes to hand the Presidency to Bill Clinton, ending more than a decade of Republican control of the White House.

George is vested in the status quo of money and private interests running the country. Of course he would back Hillary.

With each thread and post, your mask cracks just a little more. I would suggest stopping if you don't want to just fully give yourself away, or just stop giving a fuck and reveal yourself as the Trump supporter we all know you are and try to be as civil as possible.

Was George Sr. a good president? The only ones I've known were Bill Clinton, Dubya, and Obama.

I was like 5 when he became president but from what I've read, he is mostly remembered for successfully beating back Saddam's army from Kuwait during the 1st Gulf War and raising taxes despite campaigning on no new taxes (which killed him in re-election). I think the economy slowed down a little as well.

I wasn't alive during his presidency, but I haven't heard anything about it, both good or bad.

So... I guess he was OK? He's probably going to be one of those presidents that just come and go with little to say about them.

Krejlooc

Banned
He didn't like the Simpsons (which is why that episode exists, he specifically called the show out as an example of the decay of America's morals) but he liked Dana Carvey's impersonation of himself.

He kept the War on Drugs going, too.

Ithil

He didn't like the Simpsons (which is why that episode exists, he specifically called the show out as an example of the decay of America's morals) but he liked Dana Carvey's impersonation of himself.

He kept the War on Drugs going, too.

His wife Barbara was negative on the Simpsons too, another reason for that episode, though oddly enough the episode had an entirely positive portrayal of her.

Please do, it would be SO easy for Trump to spin it as a negative if Dubya endorsed Hillary.

He could hammer her on Iraq and 2008 even harder.

You mean the war that Trump supported, but continues lying about supporting, but Hillary admits to and now sees it as a mistake? Yeah, Iraq is really somewhere Donald Trump wants to go. It'd be great, really, because it'd just continue to solidify your white supremacist as the lying piece of shit that he is.

kswiston

The letter in the OP makes me wonder what Obama would write to Trump if he won. Not that I am curious enough to hope that happens or anything.

Valhelm

contribute something
Really hope this encourages other big Republicans to announce their support.

Trump can't win without the allegiance of country club Republicans.

1 term president despite being at war. This will largely ring hollow with Trump voters.

Now if Dubya says he's voting Hillary...

To many of the established base of Trump, you're right. But I do think this will ring to the more moderate Republicans. I don't know if it'll make a huge difference, but I think the narrative that a former GOP President, who was VP to the Legendary Reagan, and largely followed and is associated with said legend, isn't a narrative you really want to have either. Obama, Bill and Carter are just sort of assumed, and energize the left. Someone so prominent from the other side jumping ship, publicly, is pretty unprecedented. I can't think of such an example off the top of my head.

User1608

Banned
More support is always good, and yes,that Simpson's impression and episode of HW is funny as hell.
You mean the war that Trump supported, but continues lying about supporting, but Hillary admits to and now sees it as a mistake? Yeah, Iraq is really somewhere Donald Trump wants to go. It'd be great, really, because it'd just continue to solidify your white supremacist as the lying piece of shit that he is.
https://youtu.be/77P6fxa2KOs
1:43
Stern: "Are you for invading Iraq?"

Trump: "Yeah, I guess so."

Just leaving that here.

Saganator

With Trump representing the anti-establishment, I doubt this will do much sway many people, if anything it will just play into the whole Hillary = establishment thing.

Good on Bush Sr, though. This election wouldn't be nearly as terrifying if Jeb was the GOP nominee.

Zeshile

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the families were actually very close.

I don't think this will really change anything. Pretty much no one supporting Trump at this point is going to see this and suddenly change stances. Still pretty cool though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom