• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple sources: George H.W. Bush says privately he is voting for Hillary

Who will George HW Bush Vote For?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The letter in the OP makes me wonder what Obama would write to Trump if he won. Not that I am curious enough to hope that happens or anything.

I think Obama would be classy enough to write a congratulations, but I honestly think Obama would opt-out of participating at the inauguration in protest.

benjipwns

Banned
To many of the established base of Trump, you're right. But I do think this will ring to the more moderate Republicans. I don't know if it'll make a huge difference, but I think the narrative that a former GOP President, who was VP to the Legendary Reagan, and largely followed and is associated with said legend, isn't a narrative you really want to have either. Obama, Bill and Carter are just sort of assumed, and energize the left. Someone so prominent from the other side jumping ship, publicly, is pretty unprecedented. I can't think of such an example off the top of my head.
Colin Powell in 2008. Speaking of people in the news recently, Bill Weld endorsed Obama in 2008 too, now he's running as Libertarian VP candidate.

If we go farther back though... John Connolly and other Democrats opposed McGovern. Romney, Rockefeller and Scranton wouldn't endorse Goldwater.

Has any living president endorsed Trump?
Three of the five living Presidents are Democrats. The others are Bushes.

With Trump representing the anti-establishment, I doubt this will do much sway many people, if anything it will just play into the whole Hillary = establishment thing.

Good on GW, though. This election wouldn't be nearly as terrifying if Jeb was the GOP nominee.

People who are dumb enough to believe Trump is the anti-establishment won't be swayed by anything at this point.

It might hit home with independents/moderate republicans though.

Good to hear that the former president is voting for the only major candidate that respects and loves America, Hillary Clinton.

Given the failure of most members of his party, I am pleased to see him reject neo-nazi Donald Trump: the vile man has repeatedly demonstrated his hatred for this country. There are so many things to note: depravities like suggesting the banning of an entire religion, his threats against a free press, the racist smear against the judge in his scam university trial, and his incitement for violence against his political rival. Trump knows so little about this country despite slurring out his crappy slogan at every opportunity.

It says something when all living people who previously served refuse to endorse you. The people who've actually done the work know you have no business anywhere near the White House. The unstable cantaloupe stinks like failure and everyone who is paying attention knows it.

mo60

He was smart enough to stop at the Kuwait border.

He wasn't smart enough to not make promises he couldn't keep, most infamously "Read my lips: No New Taxes".

In the end he fell victim to being 3rd-partied by Ross Perot, who siphoned enough Republican votes to hand the Presidency to Bill Clinton, ending more than a decade of Republican control of the White House.

Nah. If I recall perot siphoned votes from both candidates equally.

I still think Cruz will fall in line before the end. Kasich probably not.

Would be something to see George Jr. and Jeb back Hillary.
Cruz, at great cost to his favorability standings, stood at the RNC and refused to endorse Trump.

Like the man is evil and terrible but I don't think he's going to bend the knee.

I still think Cruz will fall in line before the end. Kasich probably not.

Would be something to see George Jr. and Jeb back Hillary.
Hell no on Kasich. He's pretty much told Trump to eat a dick. I'm hoping Kasich supports Hillary. It's a long shot, but that would help a lot in Ohio.

bachikarn

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the families were actually very close.

I don't think this will really change anything. Pretty much no one supporting Trump at this point is going to see this and suddenly change stances. Still pretty cool though.

I think the main reason for Hilary's recent decline is people going from voting for her to not voting for her. This move definitely won't turn around many current Trump supporters, but it might motivate some people who were planning on not voting.

AYF 001

He was smart enough to stop at the Kuwait border.

He knew what he was doing, although I'd hardly call it smart. He could have easily gone into Iraq with the full backing of an entire middle eastern coalition and dismantled the remainder of their military installations. Even if he somehow made the same blunders of dissolving the entire Baathist regime and mixing Republican Guard members in with innocent suspects in prisons, Iran would not have interfered by sending insurgents, nor would any ISIS-like group have had international impact, due to the much smaller Internet of the era. An occupation would have been necessary, but it likely would never have descended into the chaos we see today.

Instead, he withdrew, knowing full well that Saddam would once again pose a threat to his neighbors oh, say roughly...10 years from then, aka 2001. So he really just loaded the bases for his little baby boy to take over, only to hit a ground ball and get 3 strikes on a single play.

He was also head of the CIA at one point in the 70's. So just imagine what he was involved in there as well.

Colin Powell in 2008. Speaking of people in the news recently, Bill Weld endorsed Obama in 2008 too, now he's running as Libertarian VP candidate.

If we go farther back though... John Connolly and other Democrats opposed McGovern. Romney, Rockefeller and Scranton wouldn't endorse Goldwater.

Well, a failure to endorse someone is not really the same, to me, than actively supporting the opposition. I don't those are quite at the same level as this.

Isn't it pretty well known that the Bush's and Clinton's are close friends?

Is it? I don't know, I never heard this. Even if they are, does it really matter to the political ramifications of this move?

I don't agree with everything the man has done nor the political positions he's taken, but as President he tended towards diplomacy (probably due to his time as a U.N. Ambassador) and kept military conflict to a minimum. Very intelligent guy and seems like a class act. This just adds to my respect of him as a man who can put country before political affiliation.

Also, H.W. was a legit WW2 hero.

170px-TBF_GeorgeBush.jpg

Following the attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, Bush decided to join the US. Navy,[1] so after graduating from Phillips Academy in 1942, he became a naval aviator at the age of 18.[4] After completing the 10-month course, he was commissioned as an ensign in the United States Naval Reserve at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi on June 9, 1943, just three days before his 19th birthday, which made him the youngest naval aviator to that date.[1]

He was assigned to Torpedo Squadron (VT-51) as the photographic officer in September 1943.[1] The following year, his squadron was based on the USS San Jacinto as a member of Air Group 51, where his lanky physique earned him the nickname "Skin".[5] During this time, the task force was victorious in one of the largest air battles of World War II: the Battle of the Philippine Sea.[1]

After Bush's promotion to Lieutenant (junior grade) on August 1, 1944, the San Jacinto commenced operations against the Japanese in the Bonin Islands. Bush piloted one of four Grumman TBM Avenger aircraft from VT-51 that attacked the Japanese installations on Chichijima.[6] His crew for the mission, which occurred on September 2, 1944, included Radioman Second Class John Delaney and Lieutenant Junior Grade William White.[1] During their attack, the Avengers encountered intense anti-aircraft fire; Bush's aircraft was hit by flak and his engine caught on fire. Despite his plane being on fire, Bush completed his attack and released bombs over his target, scoring several damaging hits.[1] With his engine ablaze, Bush flew several miles from the island, where he and one other crew member on the TBM Avenger bailed out of the aircraft;[7] the other man's parachute did not open.[1] Bush waited for four hours in an inflated raft, while several fighters circled protectively overhead until he was rescued by the lifeguard submarine USS Finback.[1] For the next month he remained on the Finback, and participated in the rescue of other pilots. Several of those shot down during the attack were executed and eaten by their captors.[8]

Bronx-Man

Banned

Three of the five living Presidents are Democrats. The others are Bushes.

Has any living presidential candidate endorsed Trump?

Damaniel

Banned
Has any living president endorsed Trump?

If this story is true, then GWB will be the only remaining living President to have not decided who to vote for. All the others have chosen Hillary, and I expect that GWB will too (even if he doesn't publicly say so).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I was like 5 when he became president but from what I've read, he is mostly remembered for successfully beating back Saddam's army from Kuwait during the 1st Gulf War and raising taxes despite campaigning on no new taxes (which killed him in re-election). I think the economy slowed down a little as well.

For all the shit he took on the no new taxes. It was what was needed to be done and paid dividends for a lot of Clinton's term.

antonz

H.W. was a fairly decent President. He is a lot like Hillary in the sense he is much more composed and what trump would call low energy.

His supporting Hillary makes sense. He is a WWII Vet with a great love for the country and you would have to be crazy to think Trump will be good for America. Even as a conservative leaning person as far as politics go I can never in good faith vote for Trump

Wow. A Republican president and also former VP to Reagan choosing a democrat for president. Bush Sr. can see how bad Trump is to set party affiliation aside.

I don't agree with everything the man has done nor the political positions he's taken, but as President he tended towards diplomacy (probably due to his time as a U.N. Ambassador) and kept military conflict to a minimum. Very intelligent guy and seems like a class act. This just adds to my respect of him as a man who can put country before political affiliation.

Also, H.W. was a legit WW2 hero.

170px-TBF_GeorgeBush.jpg

Following the attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, Bush decided to join the US. Navy,[1] so after graduating from Phillips Academy in 1942, he became a naval aviator at the age of 18.[4] After completing the 10-month course, he was commissioned as an ensign in the United States Naval Reserve at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi on June 9, 1943, just three days before his 19th birthday, which made him the youngest naval aviator to that date.[1]

He was assigned to Torpedo Squadron (VT-51) as the photographic officer in September 1943.[1] The following year, his squadron was based on the USS San Jacinto as a member of Air Group 51, where his lanky physique earned him the nickname "Skin".[5] During this time, the task force was victorious in one of the largest air battles of World War II: the Battle of the Philippine Sea.[1]

After Bush's promotion to Lieutenant (junior grade) on August 1, 1944, the San Jacinto commenced operations against the Japanese in the Bonin Islands. Bush piloted one of four Grumman TBM Avenger aircraft from VT-51 that attacked the Japanese installations on Chichijima.[6] His crew for the mission, which occurred on September 2, 1944, included Radioman Second Class John Delaney and Lieutenant Junior Grade William White.[1] During their attack, the Avengers encountered intense anti-aircraft fire; Bush's aircraft was hit by flak and his engine caught on fire. Despite his plane being on fire, Bush completed his attack and released bombs over his target, scoring several damaging hits.[1] With his engine ablaze, Bush flew several miles from the island, where he and one other crew member on the TBM Avenger bailed out of the aircraft;[7] the other man's parachute did not open.[1] Bush waited for four hours in an inflated raft, while several fighters circled protectively overhead until he was rescued by the lifeguard submarine USS Finback.[1] For the next month he remained on the Finback, and participated in the rescue of other pilots. Several of those shot down during the attack were executed and eaten by their captors.[8]

What the hell! The soldiers were eaten?! Holy shit!

McCain and Dole.

What the fuck, Bob Dole is still alive? Sweet Jesus, that motherfucker was decrepit as fuck 20 years ago.

EDIT: He was at the RNC? Damn, I must've missed that. I could've sworn he died years ago.

If this story is true, then GWB will be the only remaining living President to have not decided who to vote for. All the others have chosen Hillary, and I expect that GWB will too (even if he doesn't publicly say so).

And I doubt he will. Most likely he sides with all the others knowing that Trump is worthless, and knows his endorsement for Trump will just be another voice and not have any real positive or negative impact on him, but if he endorses Hillary it could be a negative thing since he's probably the most mocked and disliked President in modern history.

Although, if he does, having the headline that every living President endorsing you, including two harder leaning Republicans, could be a boon headline if he did.

benjipwns

Banned
Well, a failure to endorse someone is not really the same, to me, than actively supporting the opposition. I don't those are quite at the same level as this.
It was then, especially when governors controlled political patronage and power. They sat on their hands and notably. It'd be closer to as if Obama wanted Hillary blocked from the nomination and then refused to speak in favor of her.

but as President he tended towards diplomacy (probably due to his time as a U.N. Ambassador) and kept military conflict to a minimum.
He launched a military invasion of Panama to get a drug trafficker. He's the one who sent troops into Somalia.

Has any living presidential candidate endorsed Trump?
Dan Quayle, Donald Rumsfeld, Tommy Thompson, Johm McCain, Orrin Hatche, Marco Rubio, Pat Buchanan, Bob Dole, Rick Santorum, etc....or do you just mean eventual party nominees?

Because the only Republican Presidential nominee's we've got alive are the Bushes, Dole, McCain and Romney.

Democrats we have Carter, Mondale, Dukakis, Bill, Gore, Kerry and Obama.

daveo42

Banned
I wish more politicians acted like normal, decent humans than caricatures of politicians all the time. Reminds me of that Reagan/Bush debate from 1980 someone posted on here a few months back.

benjipwns

Banned
I mean, this was kind of obvious, especially given his long friendship with Bill and clear distaste for Trump.

The question is, will he say so publicly?
Added to the POLITICO Story:
Asked about Townsend’s post, George H.W. Bush spokesman Jim McGrath in an email replied, "The vote President Bush will cast as a private citizen in some 50 days will be just that: a private vote cast in some 50 days. He is not commenting on the presidential race in the interim."
Gross that they still call him President.

Regardless who he will vote for, GHW Bush was a good president and he had good grasp of America's role in the globalizing world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom