• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF: Create the Official Box Art for the EU Release of BlazBlue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
robotnjik said:
art1.jpg
As box art, looking at it from someone who sells these things, this is my favourite. It puts the point across that this is a fighting game with multiple characters, but it's not cluttered and it has an almost minimal approach I like. The shard style works with the game's general graphic design and interface. I have the Japanese PS3 version of Blazblue and I don't really care for the box art, because it's just another 'dudes pasted over each other' on a box thing.

somnific said:
here's a quick submission-- going for something a little unexpected? for a fighting game cover i guess.

blazblue_02c2a.png
I love this one too, but it's definitely more of a tin case collectors edition box thing. It's a beautiful minimalist piece, but it's definitely for the fans only. If Arc Europe do a LE for Blazblue, this really needs to go on the front though.

somnific said:
This one is almost there. I can't really tell you if it's missing something or if it needs less. I reckon if you put another character silhouette or two in the background, it might get interesting.

orioto said:
Thx :p

I'm almost feeling radiantdreamer one would be a better boxart actually !

Anyway i updated the pic cause the jawbone was weird. He looks more manly now.

Ragna.jpg
This one should go in the manual.

orioto

Good Art™
Tager.jpg

ok this one is more crappy, that was just for fun actually !!
I wanted to do a detailled video wip of my progress. I never do that with the good ones :lol But the fact i do the wip actually bother me while i'm working.

here is the wip :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSe6eusQIFA

It's fun to watch ! I used Ioan Gruffudd as "material":D

Originally, I was going to do a cover piece that looked as close as possible to the original art style. Was going to do a 5-character cover, starting with Noel Vermillion.

I had a lot of fun doing this one, but not sure if I'm going to complete the other characters.
noel_fanart.jpg

Here's a youtube video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOdypkYzCC4

I dunno... I might keep at it for the fun of it. It's so different from the GAF Collection style though...

I did one for Ragna too:
ragnafanart.jpg

Here's a youtube video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgi-ekhKNjA

Not that happy with the Ragna one. The pants are wrong, and so are the boots. It was still fun to do though.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
m0dus said:
I think it'd work just fine ;p Though we'll see. Still a WIP.

Some more touchups:

Thats some nice work, but i would hate it having it on my box when i buy the game. I dont think it does well as a boxart, but thats just me :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im going to be close to the edge on this submission. Tomorrow I leave for Spain and wont have means to work on this until I get back on the 25th, then Ill have time to finish up.

ARC Euro

Email submission from Vyze
(note; email submission is only for junior members. If you can post directly, there is no need to email to us.)

951023_Vyze-Box-Art.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Final submission, since I felt my last one could use some touching up.

Alt cover:

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
wow has this been stickied forever? this is the first time i've seen the thread :\

Awesome for Arc Euro to do this. Awesome GAF entries. Awesome all-around.

Dilli666

This is my submission:
2dkxr8i.jpg

And the mandatory boxshot:
28su3ie.jpg

I used the character select screen from the game as an inspiration.
Bigger version (350dpi) is available upon request.

Alphalpha

Neo Member
Hi GAF! Long time lurker - first time poster.

Wanted to put an entry in for this great opportunity - Thanks ARC Euro - great initiative!...

Art only
BlazBlue_boxart_11_art_low-1.jpg

PS3 mockup:
BlazBlue_boxart_11_PS3_low-1.jpg

Xbox360 mockup:
BlazBlue_boxart_11_XBOX_low-1.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
robotnjik said:
I like that one a lot. A few things that I don't like is that Ragna is missing from the box, and Mu is on it twice. Put the Mu near the middle to where the other one is, put Ragna where the center Mu is, and swap the positions of Bang and Jin.

PBz0r

Banned
_dementia said:
Is the Euro release still going to be Calamity Trigger, or are they getting Continuum Shift?
If they'd change the name we would have known before this contest started.

But if there is indeed a new character in the EU version you can be pretty sure it's Tsubaki by now.

_dementia said:
Is the Euro release still going to be Calamity Trigger, or are they getting Continuum Shift?

Yo Dementia! Haven't seen you in a while! We must not lurk the same threads anymore. What's that on yer head??

radiantdreamer said:
Yo Dementia! Haven't seen you in a while! We must not lurk the same threads anymore. What's that on yer head??
Hey you.

It's supposed to be Ryu Hayabusa's headgear.. I guess it's not too obvious.

SmokyDave

Some serious talent in here. More publishers should get GAF to do their box-arts. Great job all round but special props to radiantdreamer, I'd happily put that cover on my wall.

Thai

Bane was better.
robotnjik has my favorite entry but most of the other ones are also incredible.

If someone wants to run with this idea i've had: One cover for 360, one for ps3, put them side by side to make 1 large image. Maybe the 360 cover could have a red theme and the ps3 one a blue theme.

I dunno, maybe its just the comic book reader in me :lol :lol

Canti

So being stuck at the bottom of page 5 might do me no favours but it's about time I submitted my entry. As a long time GG and Arc Sys fan I just had to enter after missing the SF4 contest at the start of the year. So here's my entry...

kb4pyv.jpg

Some thoughts behind the design:

Wanted something colourful that expressed the fantastic visual style of the game. I'm notoriously lazy so intended to just 'shop some official art but couldn't find anything in a high enough res that showed dynamic and visually arresting action, rather than standard character portraits (that fighting game boxes are cliché for using). So I was forced to do it myself :lol Didn't turn out as well as I'd envisioned but things rarely do; I basically wanted to recreate a more detailed form of the game itself, so the art speaks for the general theme and tone of the product. I spent a long time on the composition (such as leaving necessary space for an unobtrusive logo) and detail of the background as I wanted every part of the image to be interesting, so Rachel's stage let me play around with the roses and moonlight a little.

Obligatory box shot mock-ups:

2rgkxvo.png

I'll upload the A4 print size res when la.gg stops timing out on me. Hopefully a few people like it anyway :)

edit: full size -

Acosta

Canti said:
edit: full size -

Fantastic job, I really like it! I dislike making any criticism having myself absolutely zero talent, but the only thing that don't convince me is Jin face, there is something about it that put me off. Maybe is just a personal thing but wanted to share it in case it could help you.

But really, love the work and the idea, and it looks striking in the box.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
OatmealMu said:

New fave, beautiful work.

Sadly Im not gonna make the cut, sorry, but I have other art stuff going on that has to get done first :(

Oh man! I'm assuming today is the last day for posting?! I'm staying up trying to finish mine. I should call in sick for work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom