• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4 trailer online on Konami's website

SpudBud

Why did they make Raiden look more like woman? (Face wise) The couldn't man him up a bit? Oh well, the game looks really badass.

SpudBud said:
Why did they make Raiden look more like woman? (Face wise) The couldn't man him up a bit? Oh well, the game looks really badass.
He has always looked feminine. It wouldn't add or subtract from anything, if they were to change his appearance.

They probably will change him around, though. :lol

jett

D-Member
Nah, Raiden is for sure more girly, for reasons I can't quite fathom. He looks even more like a bitch than in MGS2. His face is rounder, his features smoother, his nose pretty ****ing feminine, and those goddamn huge eyelashes.

6blmfcy.jpg

I want this guy back. :\

thetrin said:
Everything you`ve said this post (barring the last line) is very very wrong. VERY.
Are you kidding me? That shit was the definition of chesse and completely over the top. I half expected The Boss's zombie to ride up on a horse while Snake proceeds to suplex her, horse, and all. Raiden did handstands and ****ing splits while balancing on a sword. What the hell is that about?

I think the sexual tension between Vamp and Raiden speaks for itself. They even made Raiden more feminie than his last incarnation, he is a dead ringer for Buck Angel now. Google Buck Angel and tell me you don't see the numerous similarities.

Rufus

U K Narayan said:
Oh, I don't know, maybe it's because he's suited in a cybernetic exoskeleton?
Aaand he's fighting a vampire, can't leave that one out. As far as consistency goes, it's on par with past MGS games in terms of weirdness of characters and action scenes. So what the hell... It's a video game.

U K Narayan said:
Oh, I don't know, maybe it's because he's suited in a cybernetic exoskeleton?
So were Grey Fox and Olga and I don't remember their fights looking resembling a "Stomp the Yard" remix. I mean I'm an intense dude, I give high fives and pound my chest in public, but there is a limit. That fight just looked ridiculous like some over the top anime aimed at hyperactive children

MickeyKnox said:
Upon seeing these new direct feed screens I demand a new encode of the trailer for the PSN. It's way too lossy to full appreciate the fine detail.

Agreed.

The one on PSN is pretty hard to watch. Its too blurry during movement.

Ok I just saw the trailer on G4 and at first I was like wtf this dance fighting is gay but then it go totally awesome when
Raiden stabbed himself to stab the other guy
. That was awesome!

jett

D-Member
Rufus said:
Aaand he's fighting a vampire, can't leave that one out. As far as consistency goes, it's on par with past MGS games in terms of weirdness of characters and action scenes. So what the hell... It's a video game.

HELLO MCFLY?

The trailer clearly shows tha Vamp is a cyborg, just like Greyfox and Raiden. Which pretty much explains everything about him.

Rufus

No, it doesn't. If you're referring to his claws on his feet you could argue that, but there's never a clear enough shot to see if they're prosthetics or just some sort of shoes. Besides that there's no further clue to his nature having changed. He's still a vampire, or whatever is closest.

And HELLO to you to.

Buck Angel
Oh thanks a lot, I didn't need to be reminded of that...

BamYouHaveAids said:
So were Grey Fox and Olga and I don't remember their fights looking like "Stomp the Yard" remixes. I mean I'm an extreme dude, I give high fives and pound my chest in public, but there is a limit.
You should watch those cut scenes again. It's not that much of a jump from past games, really. There's maybe more grandiosity, coreography and style, but in terms of overall exaggeration? Nah, not really. Nothing beats Fortune, Vamp or Psycho Mantis and they don't even need to do anything.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Aokage said:
Okay, I want to know what up with Raiden's TRANSLUCENT LOWER JAW. That is simply fierce design. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Shinkawa sat down in Kojima's office and said, "you know, I really think Raiden's jaw should be translucent, so you could see his teeth through it."

Just beyond awesome. Sorry, I had to share that.

That is pretty interesting. A while back Kojima explained that they were scanning the heads of real people (they had some Japanese woman on stage who they scanned) and said we would understand why they need to do this in the game. He said it had something to do with a "group of people who use a skin and bone effect".

MGS2 spoiler
I thought about The Patriots. In MGS2, when GW is affected by the virus the Campbell AI sometimes turns translucent revealing a skull. Obviously it was still just an AI, but it was shown as such nonetheless. So I thought maybe in MGS4 The Patriots will again use this effect, but more convincingly. And the reason they are scanning real people is probably because Kojima is going the extra mile to make sure the skulls and faces match. That's the kind of crazy thing he would do:)

If that IS the case then it might indicate how Raiden is still used by The Patriots. A sort of "hint". Look on his helmet, it says "Tokugawa Heavy Industry". It said the same on Gray Fox and Olga's suit (not Solidus').

And now think about Snake's self-imposed last mission, to erase himself, his genes, his memes, from the face of the world. What is Raiden's mission as far as we know? "Snake, it's my turn to protect you." These two "missions" contradict one another. Snake seeks to erase himself, Raiden seeks to protect/preserve him. Snake sees himself and his bloodline as a mistake, Raiden (at least according to MGS2), sees Snake as an inspiration.

Hmmm:)

KGKK

Banned
The music wasn't as good as the other trailers. The trailer seemed very depressing somehow. Then again, so did the other MGS4 trailers. Can't wait till the full trailer and demo next week!:D

how will snake shooting himself destroy his genes. he would have to like jump in a pool of lava or something. cant they just take his dead body like big boss after he shoots himself?

BamYouHaveAids said:
So were Grey Fox and Olga and I don't remember their fights looking like "Stomp the Yard" remixes. I mean I'm an intense dude, I give high fives and pound my chest in public, but there is a limit. That fight just looked ridiculous like some over the top anime aimed at hyperactive children
It has something to do with choreographic decisions. Look at Metal Gear Solid on the PlayStation, then look at Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on the GameCube.

Obviously, the bar is raised. Plus, it's a video game. Why the Hell do you even play them, if you can't grasp a video game's "reality" with your imagination?

[exaggeration]Hurr, and in Katamari Damacy, a little dude rolls shit up with a ball. TOTALLY UNREALISTIC. TOO OVER THE TOP. VIDEO GAMES ARE SHIT.[/exaggeration]

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
momolicious said:
how will snake shooting himself destroy his genes. he would have to like jump in a pool of lava or something. cant they just take his dead body like big boss after he shoots himself?

Genes=Information. Same thing with memes. The only ones that could "erase" such information are The Patriots.

oh and just for fun, an old wallpaper I had made of Snake, with beard and battleworn (and who could be experienced enough to go close to Snake and strike him to his gun-holding arm with a knife?!;))

misc_mgs4_paintover.jpg

jett said:
Nah, Raiden is for sure more girly, for reasons I can't quite fathom. He looks even more like a bitch than in MGS2. His face is rounder, his features smoother, his nose pretty ****ing feminine, and those goddamn huge eyelashes.

6blmfcy.jpg

No ****in way, his new design is far more bad-arse

899_0010.jpg

His ****ing jaw is see-through.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jett said:

Raiden has eyeliner, long finger nails, and high heels. Kojima did this on purpose. I posted a long explanation on the "why" here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7011072&postcount=104

But like Orlics said Raiden probably gets ****ed up (probably by Vamp who is trying to kill Olga's child by killing him, sort of his way of getting at The Patriots' next "agent"), and is saved at the last minute but his only mean of surviving is to be turned into a cyborg, Gray Fox style.

Or maybe not, maybe there really is two Raidens, and his girlyness is the lie we gloss over in order to satisfy our psyche at the idea of him being all ninja and kicking ass:)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jett said:
Sorry no, I don't approve of Dickchick Raiden, see-through jaw be damned.

People complained Raiden was girly in MGS2, Kojima has been very aware of that, and he gave us what we wanted, a cool ninja-cyborg Raiden, but he made him even more girly. That is all intentional, and so is your reaction:) Even the joke trailer had sparkles on Raiden's teeth. Then look at how much he made fun of him in MGS3 and "Metal Gear Raiden".

jett said:
Sorry no, I don't approve of Dickchick Raiden, see-through jaw be damned.
Raiden is supposed to be feminine though, there was some seriously implied sexual tones to his fight with Vamp.

Like in any artistic medium, form has to fit the function.

The trailer was a bit short and didn't have much impact on me, but the game looks great nonetheless. Meryl looks hotter and more mature now, feels like she's Snake's equal. Great job! (the back of her hair looked bad, though)
Vamp looks fantastic! Intimidating, yet so gay. "Could you be the one to finally satisfy me?.."
AWESOME.

U K Narayan said:
It has something to do with choreographic decisions. Look at Metal Gear Solid on the PlayStation, then look at Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on the GameCube.

Obviously, the bar is raised. Plus, it's a video game. Why the Hell do you even play them, if you can't grasp a video game's "reality" with your imagination?

[exaggeration]Hurr, and in Katamari Damacy, a little dude rolls shit up with a ball. TOTALLY UNREALISTIC. TOO OVER THE TOP. VIDEO GAMES ARE SHIT.[/exaggeration]
Just because a game isn't realistic doesn't mean it doesn't need to be grounded in reality. It wouldn't make sense if Snake took multiple bullets to the head and kept standing like the terminator or some shit, even tough it's an video game he is still portrayed as an human.

MGS:TT didn't raise the bar, it took the bar and shoved it up it's ass. This cutscene would be fine if this game was trying to be DMC 3, but for a MGS game it just conflicts with the game's style.

karasu

BamYouHaveAids said:
Are you kidding me? That shit was the definition of chesse and completely over the top. I half expected The Boss's zombie to ride up on a horse while Snake proceeds to suplex her, horse, and all. Raiden did handstands and ****ing splits while balancing on a sword. What the hell is that about?

Man this is muthashittin METAL GEAR! The characters are just plain badass enough to use their swords like a pommel horse. Just accept it. You don't change Metal Gear. Metal Gear changes you.

BamYouHaveAids said:
Just because a game isn't realistic doesn't mean it doesn't need to be grounded in reality. It wouldn't make sense if Snake took multiple bullets to the head and kept standing like the terminator or some shit, even tough it's an video game he is still portrayed as an human.

MGS:TT didn't raise the bar, it took the bar and shoved it up it's ass. This cutscene would be fine if this game was trying to be DMC 3, but for a MGS game it just conflicts with the game's style.

It absolutely doesn't. The human characters in MGS are grounded, you aren't going to see Snake and Meryl doing what Raiden or Vamp are doing. But those 2 aren't human, they are meant to do over the top things, which is no different from the other supernatural characters.

BamYouHaveAids said:

Wow.

PleoMax

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Genes=Information. Same thing with memes. The only ones that could "erase" such information are The Patriots.

oh and just for fun, an old wallpaper I had made of Snake, with beard and battleworn (and who could be experienced enough to go close to Snake and strike him to his gun-holding arm with a knife?!;))

misc_mgs4_paintover.jpg

That rocks. He would look much better that way.

I just noticed that Vamp still has the bullet hole in his head from when Raiden shot him in MGS2. Awesome stuff. At least I think that's what it is.

And damn SolidSnakeX you always have great avatars:D

BamYouHaveAids said:

Completely disagree. Twin Snakes was an abortion for many reason, one of which is the completely ridiculous cutscenes.

Snake fighting Vamp in this way would be garbage. But he's not, the game's new "cyborg ninja" is. Vamp was clearly established as a character who's abilities defy the laws of physics, as was cyborg Raiden, (and Frank Jager, Phsyco Mantis, Decoy Octopus, Fortune, Vulcan Raven, the Cobra Unit, and Volgan)

Part of what makes MGS so great is the juxtaposition of abilities between Snake and his adversaries. They are over the top and far more "powerful" than normal people, which are epitomized by Otacon, and yet Snake manages to overcome impossible odds while retaining his humanity and that's what makes him such a bad-ass, larger than life character (my absolute favorite game character ever, and top 10 fictional characters ever)

this is pretty much how I see it going, atleast based around what I saw in trailers.

-Snake arrives on the battlefield, fights some metal gears, meets up with new Fox Hound (who have the same goal as Snake, the team has Meryl and Raiden pre-cyborg in it), then a big attack on Liquid happens and fails, we see what happends in the trailer. The hit on Liquid fails and after the events of the trailer, Snake protects/saves Raiden by injecting him with whatever he used on himself and Meryl ends up getting killed. Then this is around where we see Snake putting the gun in his mouth who feels weak that he couldent stop Liquid and because Meryl ended up being killed in the process. Then there will be a time jump of some sort to the next events.

-This is time for the second mission, this is where we see Snake in a suit over a grave (Meryl's grave), we also learn that while Raiden was kept alive his body was affected to stand on is own, so he is given this cyberbody. This would be the true last mission for Snake.

thats atleast what I think will happen, Kojima is so awesome and I cant wait to see how it all plays out.

Archer

Laurent said:
raidenbh7.jpg

The hair color and direction, the chin...

Raiden gets pwned in the first part of MGS4 and comes back as a cyborg late in the story, which is several years after the first part of the game. He doesn't give a damn about his new life, other than to kick ass and take names, hence his willingness to toss a sword thru himself to get Vamp.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Linkzg said:
this is pretty much how I see it going, atleast based around what I saw in trailers.

-Snake arrives on the battlefield, fights some metal gears, meets up with new Fox Hound (who have the same goal as Snake, the team has Meryl and Raiden pre-cyborg in it), then a big attack on Liquid happens and fails, we see what happends in the trailer. The hit on Liquid fails and after the events of the trailer, Snake protects/saves Raiden by injecting him with whatever he used on himself and Meryl ends up getting killed. Then this is around where we see Snake putting the gun in his mouth who feels weak that he couldent stop Liquid and because Meryl ended up being killed in the process. Then there will be a time jump of some sort to the next events.

-This is time for the second mission, this is where we see Snake in a suit over a grave (Meryl's grave), we also learn that while Raiden was kept alive his body was affected to stand on is own, so he is given this cyberbody. This would be the true last mission for Snake.

thats atleast what I think will happen, Kojima is so awesome and I cant wait to see how it all plays out.

Cannot be.

The grave scene is 100% sure before those events. It is there that he is picked up by Otacon and meets with Campbell, told about Liquid and the middle east, etc.

MGS3 spoilers
The grave is almost 100% sure to be
The Boss' grave. It is written "In memory of a Patriot who saved the world" on it, just like on The Boss'. Either that or Big Boss was given the same kind of grave for some strange reason (maybe he was loyal to the end as well, just like The Boss, to The Patriots). If it is The Boss' grave, maybe MGS3 was really a reliving of the memories of Big Boss, which would make sense considering various hints around MGS3 and the MGS-DGN interface hints)

pel1300

U K Narayan said:

Your comparison is ridiculous.

MGS takes place in the real world with one exception - in the MGS world, there were technological and scientific breakthroughs in nuclear weapons development and human cloning that did not happen in our world.

Therefore, the MGS world is supposed to be grounded in reality, with the exceptions being a few characters like villains in MGS 3, psycho mantis, etc.

According to your logic, we might as well throw all realism out the window and have solid snake start shooting laser beams our of his eyes??

Yes we should be willing to tolerate some over the top action since this IS a game with certain scifi elements, however, THERE ARE LIMITS, and at a certain point when you have human characters like Solid Snake dodging bullets or kicking a missile, it just looks freakin retarded.

FOR THE RECORD -

I don't have any issue with the Vamp/Raiden fight being "unrealistic", since those 2 characters are obviously supposed to be superhuman.

I do, however, think the *dancing on the chest* attack and blocking bullets with a thin samurai blade look pretty damn stupid.

OatmealMu said:
158fs417278.gif

I'm fanning the flames, so to speak.
Well that's exactly what's implied through out the scene.

The final line and it's delivery: "are you the one to finally finish me?" + the choreography + all the penetration that happens + that reach around.

Holy shit, i'm watching the Vamp fight frame by frame and I just noticed that Raiden is actually using his free leg to bang the knife through his other foot like a ****ing NAIL when he was stomping on Vamp's chest. HOLY SHIT.

karasu

Thank god the world isn't as creatively bankrupt when it comes to fight scenes as us westerners. Thank you Hong Kong/Mainland for your contribution of highly kinetic action scenes. Thank you very much!

It's still gonna be this fiscal year, so probably mid-March. Same time as all the 2nd edition games were released (Substance and Subsistence).

Top Bottom