• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NBC Show: Revolution - Lost meets Jericho - From Eric Kripke and JJ Abrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I still cant belive people remember Lost fondly, i thought it was some stone tampoon-induced denial, but i see people actually consider it the gold standard of tv scifi characters.

I understand a lot of criticism of LOST, but the characters? I think they were/still are pretty damn good.

WillyFive

I still cant belive people remember Lost fondly, i thought it was some stone tampoon-induced denial, but i see people actually consider it the gold standard of tv scifi characters.

I wouldn't say 'the gold standard', but they were characters you cared immensely about. It's something that countless shows try to do and fail miserably, but Lost did it with flying colors.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So all the electricity stops working? Because of an EMP or because the foundations of electromagnetics just decided to change? They can still burn gas and stuff, right?

Quick

Banned
I'm mixed on this. Premise seems interesting, but it oozes cheese at some parts.

And lol Cubs as the World Series champs. :lol

Ashhong

Jesus Christ this show needs better makeup artists. It's fucking embarrassing.

This show looks like someone saw Hunger Games and immediatedly got to work on a pilot.

You hear that guys? Bow and arrows = Hunger Games! Shit, Pixar must have copied Hunger Games too! Brave is such a ripoff.

Quick

Banned
You hear that guys? Bow and arrows = Hunger Games! Shit, Pixar must have copied Hunger Games too! Brave is such a ripoff.

He makes a point, sort of. She looks like Katniss, and the forest setting early in the trailer reminded me a bit of District 12 and its forest. I personally don't see anything else other than those two points I brought up. If anything, The Hunger Games wasn't even what I had thought of until he and you brought it up.

Might have jumped too far with the whole "bow and arrows = hunger games" thing.

So what's the angle of the show? Supernatural or just normal drama?
I'm sure someone will be along in just a minute to give you the complete run down of the entire series from beginning to end. In short: No one knows except for what is seen in the trailer: all electrical power ceases except for the funny gadget and computer, so... drama/scifi.

LOCK

I will watch the pilot but if they do not explain some of this stuff then I will not waste anymore of my time.

I'm becoming very picky.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I know most of the music in this trailer is TSFH, but what's the track that starts around 3 minutes in? I've heard it before and I can't remember the name of the track and it's driving me nuts.

EDIT: found it - Touched by V.A.S.T

Aaron

No electricity. Okay. Why no steam power then? Obviously you're not going to adapt a modern car in a weekend, but after fifteen years with the knowledge that would still be in books, if not in people's heads, they shouldn't still be living like the Amish. It would make a little more sense if this was set further in the future where we've become more dependent on electronics, with electric cars and real books are a thing of the past.

GloveSlap

If Eric Kripke is involved I am there. Kripke has to fill the void now that Joss Whedon is most likely doing movies only for the foreseeable future.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Based on the trailer... still not feeling this. Prairie western drama plus a seemingly ridiculous sci-fi premise. Energy has stopped working! Or something. They've already lost me with the high concept gimmick. I doubt any explanation for that would ever satisfy me.

antonz

Probably have some odd religion twist at the end because theres that whole thing about the end days will be in darkness etc

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Eric Kripke, JJ Abrams and Giancarlo Esposito?

You had me at Eric Kripke.

G-Fex

The young people are annoying.

But it looks okay. I like the dad from Twilight i'm glad he's getting more work.

Threshold
Jericho
V
Terra Nova
Falling Skies

...I watch them all, and its always the same.

Great idea.
Good pilot.
Piss poor execution*
Cancelled

*Exception jericho.

Why do I do this every year....?

Im there on day one.

....speaking of which, I still want to watch Day One....wasnt that the same show as this, also on NBC?

ivysaur12

Banned
Threshold
Jericho
V
Terra Nova
Falling Skies

...I watch them all, and its always the same.

Great idea.
Good pilot.
Piss poor execution*
Cancelled

*Exception jericho.

Why do I do this every year....?

Im there on day one.

....speaking of which, I still want to watch Day One....wasnt that the same show as this, also on NBC?

Falling Skies wasn't canceled?

Falling Skies wasn't canceled?

Fair enough. V had a second season too.

But seriously, NBC did this exact show already.

:/

Day One is a planned NBC sci-fi television movie—originally a TV series pilot—about apartment residents that survive an unknown worldwide cataclysm, that destroys modern infrastructure. The movie/pilot was directed by Alex Graves, who previously directed the pilot episodes for the Fox TV series Fringe and Journeyman. According to NBC's Angela Bromstad, the show was originally expected to fill the Heroes time slot after the 2010 Olympics. But, it has been reported the show will never air.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_One_(TV_series)

ivysaur12

Banned
Fair enough. V had a second season too.

But seriously, NBC did this exact show already.

:/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_One_(TV_series)

Just because something is high concept doesn't mean it'll be good.

Let's look at Terra Nova and V. Terra Nova was boned from the start, 12 producing credits and Brandon Braga showrunning it. Then, you have V, created by Scott Peters who might be certifiably insane and had one of the worst writing-room environments during the development season.

There are plenty of shows that have "meh" premises on paper, but are extremely amazing in their execution (as I expect Vegas on CBS will be this year). Look at Justified - it's a "cop show" without much a hook beyond a western drawl, but is one of the best shows on television. Same with Southland.

The reason why I'm stoked for Revolution is that the script was a great read and Kripke is a huge talent. That's enough to be excited for it. But I'd caution people (especially internet critics) who get insanely hyped for high-concept shows while dismissing others (not to say you did that, just an afterthought of mine).

The NBC dramas are really awful though. Notorious could be fun, but Frontier was such a better script and turned out really well. It sucks they played it safe. Maybe Hannibal. I do like me some Bryan Fuller.

The reason why I'm stoked for Revolution is that the script was a great read and Kripke is a huge talent. That's enough to be excited for it. But I'd caution people (especially internet critics) who get insanely hyped for high-concept shows while dismissing others (not to say you did that, just an afterthought of mine).

The NBC dramas are really awful though. Notorious could be fun, but Frontier was such a better script and turned out really well. It sucks they played it safe. Maybe Hannibal. I do like me some Bryan Fuller.

All these shows seem to turn out the same though.

They keep making the same damn error. Create a concept aimed at male sci-fi fans....

And then stick in an angsty teenage boy everyone hates, spend most of the show on stupid family crap, and then pussy out on the actual action.

....its one of the reasons NBC torpedoes Heroes too! The season 2 flying carpet lvoe shit is where half the fans jumped ship. And for good reason.

.....and ivysaur, did the Day one pilot/mini series ever leak to the internet? Did you ever see it?

ivysaur12

Banned
All these shows seem to turn out the same though.

They keep making the same damn error. Create a concept aimed at male sci-fi fans....

And then stick in an angsty teenage boy everyone hates, spend most of the show on stupid family crap, and then pussy out on the actual action.

....its one of the reasons NBC torpedoes Heroes too! The season 2 flying carpet lvoe shit is where half the fans jumped ship. And for good reason.

.....and ivysaur, did the Day one pilot/mini series ever leak to the internet? Did you ever see it?

Well, the teenage character in Revolution is fairly resourceful and makes a dumb mistake that's unfortunate but otherwise understandable given the circumstances. The idea is to be rooting for him once the pilot is over (and you do, given what happens, at least at the script stage - doesn't look like much has changed).

But the examples that you give are due to bad writers. There are plenty of good writers who have created wonderful scifi. It's the same with any genre. Getting hyped for some because of the genre is stupid - get hyped because of the team behind that can carry the concept forward.

And no, never saw Day One. Never had any interest to try to find it.

Well, the teenage character in Revolution is fairly resourceful and makes a dumb mistake that's unfortunate but otherwise understandable given the circumstances. The idea is to be rooting for him once the pilot is over (and you do, given what happens, at least at the script stage - doesn't look like much has changed).

But the examples that you give are due to bad writers. There are plenty of good writers who have created wonderful scifi. It's the same with any genre. Getting hyped for some because of the genre is stupid - get hyped because of the team behind that can carry the concept forward.

And no, never saw Day One. Never had any interest to try to find it.

Thats the thing, these networks seem not to understand how important good writing is.

I dont get how with such giant casts and crews, nobody stops by the writing room to say "um, hey guys, this last script is garbage, youre going to get us all fired"

...I want to see what could have been, and why it was destroyed

ivysaur12

Banned
Thats the thing, these networks seem not to understand how important good writing is.

I dont get how with such giant casts and crews, nobody stops by the writing room to say "um, hey guys, this last script is garbage, youre going to get us all fired"

...I want to see what could have been, and why it was destroyed

Well, again, that's any show, regardless of drama. And a lot of that has to do with the schedule that TV runs on. The writing team never has their head above water until they've finished the last episode.

The size of this thread has me excited for the premiere's ratings.

The lead-in has me excited for premiere ratings (and how NBC will treat the show).

Well, again, that's any show, regardless of drama. And a lot of that has to do with the schedule that TV runs on. The writing team never has their head above water until they've finished the last episode.

I think its more than that.

All these shows have the same thing in common, is that the concept is aimed at men but they keep trying to get women with the family/relationship garbage. They end up losing both men and women. That seems more like a directive from the network.

Make it more accessible! Expand the audience!

Someone needs to tell the networks that shows like 24 and Prison Break which are aimed at men do succeed (and draw in women as well).

24 didnt last for 8 seasons by pushing the action aside to focus on teenage boy relationship drama.

squidyj

Okay, here's the thing. If the failure of combustion prevents the jet from flying, how does it explode into a fireball? This premise is really fucking stupid.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, here's the thing. If the failure of combustion prevents the jet from flying, how does it explode into a fireball? This premise is really fucking stupid.

all of the electrics on the plane failed? I didn't see anything on the show that indicated that petrol wouldn't still burn.

the premise is all electricity, ALL of it is gone. Flight computers and powered items like... flaps on an aircraft run on the stuff.

squidyj

all of the electrics on the plane failed? I didn't see anything on the show that indicated that petrol wouldn't still burn.

the premise is all electricity, ALL of it is gone. Flight computers and powered items like... flaps on an aircraft run on the stuff.

I was under the impression that it affected the combustion of the engine because apparently in 15 years after the fall of man noone can make a car engine that works without electronics? At least that's what I read. car engines don't work, nothing works.

The laws of physics dictate the plane would continue forward, not fall straight down.

I was under the impression that it affected the combustion of the engine because apparently in 15 years after the fall of man noone can make a car engine that works without electronics?

Indeed, every other show where electronics fail allows for older cars to continue to operate. (falling skies, jericho, etc)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The laws of physics dictate the plane would continue forward, not fall straight down.

it was spinning and it wasn't going straight down.

I was under the impression that it affected the combustion of the engine because apparently in 15 years after the fall of man noone can make a car engine that works without electronics? At least that's what I read. car engines don't work, nothing works.

well apparently (from the last few frames of the four minute preview)
computers still work.... something is probably actively blocking operation of these things

I took from it that it's probably quite difficult to get petrol producing operations up and running with no power hence horse/cart again.

squidyj

it was spinning and it wasn't going straight down.

well apparently (from the last few frames of the four minute preview)
computers still work.... something is probably actively blocking operation of these things

....So it's stopping the normal hydrocarbon combustion within an engine but when it would become a catastrophic form of that same combustion it lets it happen? really?

the only way any of it makes any sense is if they're in the matrix and even then, they're already in the matrix so why do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom