• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlDan

Now let's talk about the clowns, known as Digital Foundry. First zooming 800% or even 400% is laughable for 4K, it's like asking for 16K sharpness at 800% or 8K sharpness at 400%.

Horizon: Forbidden West looks flawless at native 4K:

49995809658_9e3764c4b3_o.png

Now zoom in 800% asking for 16K clarity, you find some minor flaws, which further proves that it's running in real-time not pre-rendered. You see aliasing, pixelization effects, mostly due to Geometry Engine drawing the necessary visible frame budget for native 4K, as you can't spot them in native resolution:

hfw-zoom.jpg

Now to the peice of crap called Halo Infinite:

3712380-halo-infinite-2020_ascension_demo_campaign_05_4k-b108ee98525741458824e698aa131f8b.png

You don't even need to zoom in because it's extremely visible how crap it looks, but here, 800% zooming:

- Trees floating with no trunks.
- Extremely pixelized.
- Severe VRS image/resolution degradation.
- Blurry mess of tree details with no textures.

halo-zoom.jpg

You don't need DF to acknowledge that, you only need a pair of eyes and a functional brain.
Aloy's eyebrows tho, looks like they get them done in the post apocalypse lol

FeiRR

Banned
299 is what the 334mm ^ 2 silicon wafer costs with the SSD and GDDR6. You still have to pay for the rest of the systems and the cooling solution. Packaging and transportation.

Sorry to say but XSX will cost no less than XOX.

Maybe You are being sarcastic and I am not understanding it because of the language change.
Are you Polish, dude?

There, PS5 Pro with 36+36=72CU GPU, 3.5+3.5= 7.0Ghz CPU:messenger_sunglasses: Following the footsteps of AMD's 3D stack roadmap.
Tbe combination of two SOCs is not optimal. It is like SLi and cross fire where you dont get double the performance. This patent seems to focus on rendering method that can actually take advantage of the set up and give a real double performance.

Seems like PS5 pro incoming.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Tbe combination of two SOCs is not optimal. It is like SLi and cross fire where you dont get double the performance. This patent seems to focus on rendering method that can actually take advantage of the set up and give a real double performance.

Seems like PS5 pro incoming.

The Sli and crossfire are the dumbest shit you can think of if you check motherboard powermap, it's a waste of money. This should follow AMD's 3D stacking core philosophy and nVidia's future module GPU plans instead of SLi's and Crossfires. And they've been already testing 8K@120Hz, HDR, Raytracing behind closed doors.

sircaw

Banned
Now I got to deal with 2 Hype Trains???

Wanted: Hype Train engineer.
Skills required: Understands FUD and how to get rid.
Must be able to Download RAM.
Must know how to switch the Ray Tracing on.
Must provide own spare GPU.
TFLOPs are optional.
Religion MUST be Craig.
This is not a diversity hiring!

Need Liverpool F.C at bottom of tracks.

Mr Moose

I'm trying to search for it but I can't find it :(

Search is also giving me results in a weird order

Sony Dual GPUs - calling misterXMedia alert....

:messenger_beaming:
Usual caveat that a patent doesn't mean something will actually be released to production...

Having said that I would bust a nut if this came to fruition :p

AeneaGames

So you might be right, but Microsoft might just stick with regular 50 GB Blu-rays as the official disc format for all Xbox consoles, and then have games download the rest of the data from servers, or maybe ship with 2 discs in the box. The Xbox 360 stuck with DVDs, while the PS3 used Blu-rays.

Or the clever tricksters over at MS found a way to do a combo disc. Ie. An Xbox One will read it as a 50GB disc but the XSX can access the remaining 50GB as well?

----

Hmm, just checked. Normal format has 2 layers of 25GB each, the UHD variant has 3 layers of 33GB each.

Perhaps it is possible to make a hybrid disc, 2 layers of 25GB and 1 layer of 33GB, giving you 83GB total instead of 99/100GB.

Not sure if that is possible but would be a neat solution tho!

Games Dean

Kinda Funny Games posted this earlier today and had Imran Khan on while they talked about what's coming next for both PS and Xbox. Imran knows a fair bit about what's coming for both companies and gave some insight for to expect. I'll go over what he said because other than him, no one else contributed anything worth spending time on imo.

General Stuff:

- To the surprise of no one, both companies have big events this month. We'll get hardware, UI, price, date, preorder details. Just confirming what we all know.
- Also don't expect the companies to show absolutely all their cards in August. Should be obvious but in case that is what people are expecting.
On Xbox:

- Microsoft still has more software to show
- Has things that are "Holy shit I can't believe they're showing that". Isn't sure whether or not these games will be shown in August event or later this year.
- Microsoft's major remaining reveals for the rest of the year seem to be first party titles.
- Microsoft may have some additional third party games marketed with them, but the majority are with Playstation. He suggests this is due to a mixture of Sony's market dominance and major publishers not really wanting to engage with Gamepass.
- The only third party exclusive he could see Microsoft having is a new Dead Rising game. (Noteworthy because he treats this as speculation, but he's "speculated" about this so many times this year that it makes me think he might be subtly hinting that this is in fact happening.

On PS5:

- Also has things that are "Holy shit I can't believe they're showing that" moments that he's surprised Sony is still holding on to closely.
- Sony has a ton of third party support, mixture of both exclusives and just marketing rights, that they haven't revealed yet. He's surprised Sony still hasn't revealed them all and has managed to keep them close to the vest. (Should be some more console launch exclusives like Project Athia and the Bethesda games, and marketing deals like CoD).
- About whether or not Sony showed the extant of its major third party support in the June event: "There's more. They're holding onto some things that I'm really surprised that they're holding onto, and I would be shocked if they showed them soon".
- Many of Sony's first party studios are well underway with PS5 projects. Not necessarily 2+ years away.
- He reiterates the tweet he had about Sony back in June. He says that Sony has invested significantly in having a monster first year+.
- He thinks the Ps5's launch will be reminiscent of the Nintendo Switch's first year of nonstop quality content before slowing down. He doesn't think that PS5 content will slow down quite to the extent that Switch has since the first waves has ended but that "after about 16 months or so, it will become a more traditional console generation".
- About Sony's first party studios he says "They're in a good position to have their studios ready to launch major things over the next (pauses) 16 months".

it was clear that he was picking his words carefully throughout the episode to make sure he doesn't spoil anything and seemed to be amused while listening to the other 3 speculate. Should be an interesting few weeks ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom