• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox is ‘More Advanced’ Than the PS5 according to Insiders.

TLZ

Banned
Xbox.
I have more games on Xbox then ps4 so they all transfer for me to play.
I'm getting 4 games a month with gold.
I prefer the Xbox elite controller
My friends are mostly on Xbox.
I like my game share partner on Xbox better.
I think you're looking for this thread?

CloudSolace

I don't care if the next Xbox is more powerful, because it won't be much more powerful if it is. That and Xbox just doesn't have the games to grab my interest anymore. I'm sticking with the PS5 even if the next Xbox is more powerful.

quickwhips

I don't care if the next Xbox is more powerful, because it won't be much more powerful if it is. That and Xbox just doesn't have the games to grab my interest anymore. I'm sticking with the PS5 even if the next Xbox is more powerful.
I agree they will probably be close in power. The difference probably won't matter. The more important things next gen will be cross play so everyone can just play together and exclusives should determine purchase.

SonGoku

What are you not understanding?

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2140?vs=2137

YyQpSnm.png
The X GPU is not half a 1080Ti, nvidia has more performance per flop than AMD
I do agree however 400GB/s is way to low for next gen, 600GB/s minimum considering the X already has 326.4GB/s

Ar¢tos

The X GPU is not half a 1080Ti, nvidia has more performance per flop than AMD
I do agree however 400GB/s is way to low for next gen, 600GB/s minimum considering the X already has 326.4GB/s
I'm not sure the Nvidia flops vs amd flops thing applies to consoles, since they are closed platforms with fixed hardware and have their own very optimized APIs.
Just look at the ps4, at has 1.8 AMD tflops and I'm sure each flop is very well used in games like God of War or Spiderman.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm not sure the Nvidia flops vs amd flops thing applies to consoles, since they are closed platforms with fixed hardware and have their own very optimized APIs.

That is why the 1.84TF PS4 first party games have been punching above it's weight in comparison to the PC arena with what they are pulling off in games flop for flop.

SonGoku

Sure you can get more performance out of closed box but the same hw limitations exist.
A 6TF nvidia GPU would perform better on a console than a 6TF AMD GPU.

SonGoku

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Interesting read on a patent which suggest AMD may take a similar approach to nvidia SM design
Disregard the Arcturus speculation bit

Also interesting:
AMD patent could bring Nvidia’s variable rate shading to Navi and next-gen consoles

What does this mean? Can you summarize it please? Thanks

SonGoku

Just look at the ps4, at has 1.8 AMD tflops and I'm sure each flop is very well used in games like God of War or Spiderman.
That is why the 1.84TF PS4 first party games have been punching above it's weight in comparison to the PC arena with what they are pulling off in games flop for flop.
For sure, i think Async compute customization helps a great deal in getting the most out of each CU with exclusives designed to take advantage of the hw, keep in mind though this is not as flexible and might have limitations.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I still hate the idea of MS hindering the nextgen leap with their weaker machine. Why can't they just release a beast system like Sony and that's it? It's one thing that they don't do favors with this for the core gamers but they don't do for themselves either because all Sony exclusives will be designed with a ~12 Tf machine in mind unlike multiplatforms and MS exclusives. The difference will be quite big I think.

93xfan

Banned
I still hate the idea of MS hindering the nextgen leap with their weaker machine. Why can't they just release a beast system like Sony and that's it? It's one thing that they don't do favors with this for the core gamers but they don't do for themselves either because all Sony exclusives will be designed with a ~12 Tf machine in mind unlike multiplatforms and MS exclusives. The difference will be quite big I think.

I’m so confused. MS is still rumored to have the stronger console, correct?

Can we please put this nonsense to bed? Does it look like the Xbox One as the lowest denominator is in any way hindering games on the Xbox One X? This is without a doubt one of the falsest narratives of the generation, platforms are handled on an individual basis...

42983419390_eb609213e8_o.png

30376137517_3e2eaab92e_o.png

46810524735_734059f46e_o.png

45100384832_fe40986e16_o.png

47674083422_261aa15801_o.png

47727092481_7b4560a602_o.png

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Can we please put this nonsense to bed? Does it look like the Xbox One as the lowest denominator is in any way hindering games on the Xbox One X? This is without a doubt one of the falsest narratives of the generation, platforms are handled on an individual basis...

They don’t understand how game development works. These consoles are like PCs now and they just literally turn off graphical features here and there, then decrease or increase the resolution. It’s not rocket science.

makaveli60

Going by your logic, cross-gen games aren't held back on nextgen consoles either. Do you think that's also true?

Last edited:
They don’t understand how game development works. These consoles are like PCs now and they just literally turn off graphical features here and there, then decrease or increase the resolution. It’s not rocket science.
This first sentence right here says it all. Developers build high and then scale down, they don't start lower and then build up.

Going by your logic, cross-gen games don't hold back nextgen consoles either. Do you think that's also true?
Cross-gen has typically come with the reality of completely different API's, and completely different feature sets in the hardware that the previous generation simply could not do. That doesn't translate here.

Last edited:

makaveli60

This first sentence right here says it all. Developers build high and then scale down, they don't start lower and then build up.

Cross-gen has typically come with the reality of completely different API's, and completely different feature sets in the hardware that the previous generation simply could not do. That doesn't translate here.

But if I see a comparison between base Xbox One and Xbox One X, the only difference I see is resolution, and sometimes some very minimal upgrades that wouldn't be noticeable if you didn't compare them. I refuse to believe that games wouldn't look better if XBX was the base machine.

But if I see a comparison between base Xbox One and Xbox One X, the only difference I see is resolution, and sometimes some very minimal upgrades that wouldn't be noticeable if you didn't compare them. I refuse to believe that games wouldn't look better if XBX was the base machine.
Every single game depicted in those above images is graphically tuned higher than its Xbox One counterpart abstract of resolution.

Where do you think PC Ultra settings come from and the like? That's the top end of game development, uncompressed textures, higher environmental assets, better shadow resolution, better reflections etc. That's what developers build from the get go abstract of the platform, when porting it over they tune and scale down. The same applies in the console sector, they build a game as they were going to and then worry about making it work on its host platform bit by bit as they iterate.

usually they have 4K resolution as well as a 4K asset pack with higher res models and textures with a few more effects or so. But for the most part, the Xbox One X is literally taking current gen titles and upping the resolution.

Think about this, my buddy is running a nVidia Titan Xp with 12GB GDDR5X (12TF) has 32GB DDR4, and a Intel Core i9 with 10 cores and 20 threads. To this day he cannot run games at 4K60 at ultra settings. Low maybe, but not ultra. All that extra beef in the Xbox One X is literally for resolution. If games were made for the Xbox One X and focused on 1080p they would look phenomenal. But that’s not it’s purpose.

Correction: he can play at 4K but it doesn’t give him the FPS he’s looking for.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Every single game depicted in those above images is graphically tuned higher than its Xbox One counterpart abstract of resolution.

Where do you think PC Ultra settings come from and the like? That's the top end of game development, uncompressed textures, higher environmental assets, better shadow resolution, better reflections etc. That's what developers build from the get go abstract of the platform, when porting it over they tune and scale down. The same applies in the console sector, they build a game as they were going to and then worry about making it work on its host platform bit by bit as they iterate.
AAA games are designed with the weakest hardware in mind. Why doesn't Witcher 3 look like the initial trailer on PC even on ultra settings? They had to design it around XBO, they even admitted it. Or why doesn't games from e.g. 2011 on their absolute highest settings look nothing like the games nowadays? Because these games are designed around the lowest common denominator.

AAA games are designed with the weakest hardware in mind. Why doesn't Witcher 3 look like the initial trailer on PC even on ultra settings? They had to design it around XBO, they even admitted it. Or why doesn't games from e.g. 2011 on their absolute highest settings look nothing like the games nowadays? Because these games are designed around the lowest common denominator.
Because of bullshot mentality for showcasing and developers who shoot far beyond what's feasible even on PC and then have to scale back to realistic levels. Also you're lying out of your ass, they never admitted that. That's been community conjecture since day one.

No, because rendering technology and graphical feature sets have changed and advanced, new engines have been created around these features sets and new technology. The original Xbox One can render ANYTHING the Xbox One X can, the Xbox 360 cannot render what the Xbox One can, even if it were just a still image. It lacks the API, it lacks the hardware features to run newly created technology implemented into graphics engines...

You're not understanding this.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Because of bullshot mentality for showcasing and developers who shoot far beyond what's feasible even on PC and then have to scale back to realistic levels. Also you're lying out of your ass, they never admitted that. That's been community conjecture since day one.

No, because rendering technology and graphical feature sets have changed and advanced, new engines have been created around these features sets and new technology. The original Xbox One can render ANYTHING the Xbox One can, the Xbox 360 cannot render what the Xbox One can, even if it were just a still image. It lacks the API, it lacks the hardware features to run newly created technology implemented into graphics engines...

You're not understanding this.
Get off your high horse and let's just agree to disagree. I have no intention arguing with anyone that accuses me of lying anyway. It was maybe just a rumor, but I haven't made it up.

Get off your high horse and let's just agree to disagree. I have no intention arguing with anyone that accuses me of lying anyway. It was maybe just a rumor, but I haven't made it up.
No I'm not on a high horse, you're just wrong. There's no middle ground here, I'm not conceding to a fallacy.

You're perpetuating a lie and presenting it as a fact, that's you lying.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Just a hint if Xbox One never existed then you could see X reach heights you can’t believe.

X and Pro power are subutilized.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sorry:messenger_beaming:

With the advent of checkerboard, and even the decent upscaling from 1800p, there's no reason to go 1080p on a 12TF 4K system unless you're offering a performance mode. In many cases, the Lockhart would still be able to offer something similar with reduced settings in some areas.

I hope the rumors are true and the price comes in around $250-299. I'd like 2 for me and my boys and it's more practical to have two $299 1080p systems than a single $500 4K system in our case.

So now you guys think the difference in GPUs between Lockhart and Anaconda are $200-$250 worth in price? No way man.

Just a hint if Xbox One never existed then you could see X reach heights you can’t believe.

Some people here don't understand the bolded.

Last edited:

What are you even basing this on?

The only new rendering technology to come around in recent history and it's not even really new is ray tracing. Games are created in the developers vision and scaled to the confines of the platform in which they operate. If the X was the only system in the Xbox line the games wouldn't look any different than they do now whether exclusive or multiplatform. Games are graphically built well beyond the platform in which they operate and then scaled down for operation. There's no magic glass ceiling in development preventing developers from making peak use of a system because anything and everything can be reduced to conform for operation.

This is Witchfire, an in development game exclusive to the PC, it's a major looker but where are these heights being reached that can't be believed? Hunt: Showdown is another fine example of this, beautiful game but it's not off the map because this is simply what developers can do currently. You fundamentally misunderstand the way development works and you overestimate how far along game engines are in terms of their peak for real-time rendering.

Witchfire_01.jpg

That looks insane! Where did you find these specs?
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/xbox-one-x-gpu.c2977

ethomaz

Banned
What are you even basing this on?
In actual games for Pro/X even exclusives.

BTW multiplatform games can't reach the weight in graphics of the exclusives due the same issue... needs to cater a big range of hardware config that holds the strong ones to reach the best it could archive.

That is clearly saw when you look at the best looking games for Xbox One X being inferior for Sony exclusives where the base is higher (PS4) than X (XB1).

If that was not true then X should be showing the top graphics this gen but that trophy holds to Sony with games like GoD, Horizon, etc... The Last Us Part 2 will probably push the bar again to new weights.

Lower denominator holds game development... that is true for X and XB1 (or Pro and PS4) today and it will be true for next-generation.

There is no magic against that.

X could delivery way better graphics if any developer choose to make a exclusive game to push it capabilities to max without any other platform holding it (today all console hardware holds X to reach the peak).

PS. That is the same reason that PC mostly do better graphics via brute force instead optimizations... no dev in the world can optimization to the wide range of hardware found in PC world... that is utophic... if a dev in PC chosse the highest hardware existent in the market and develop since beginning for it alone with optimizations and features that works best for that hardware the results could be described like miracle.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

So basically they're going to sandwich Sony

A console more powerful than the PS5 for the enthusiast

A console cheaper but similar in power to the PS5 for the casuals

Shit...Sony's really going to have to rely on having stronger brand power and on PS4 owners who want to stay in the ecosystem and keep their digital games.

Except only one of those consoles will be the real Xbox Next console. Lockhart will either be called the Xbox Next Poor or the Anaconda will be called the Xbox Next Bill Gates edition (because it'll cost waaaay too much i.e. like $699).

BTW multiplatform games can't reach the weight in graphics of the exclusives due the same issue... needs to cater a big range of hardware config that holds the strong ones to reach the best it could archive.

That is clearly saw when you look at the best looking games for Xbox One X being inferior for Sony exclusives where the base is higher (PS4) than X (XB1).

If that was not true then X should be showing the top graphics this gen but that trophy holds to Sony with games like GoD, Horizon, etc... The Last Us Part 2 will probably push the bar again to new weights.

Lower denominator holds game development... that is true for X and XB1 (or Pro and PS4) today and it will be true for next-generation.

X could delivery way better graphics if any developer choose to make a exclusive game to push it capabilities to max without any other platform holding it (today all console hardware holds X to reach the peak).

You can look at Days Gone on the PS4 vs. the same game on the PS4 PRO. One game has double the TF power, yet the difference for that game is small but also noticeable. If the game was built for the PS4 PRO only, it'll look better.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
In my view if the both companies choose to follow the rumored paths we will have next gen:

$299 Xbox Lockhart ~4-6TFs (I don't see reason to push more than that for 1080p)
$399 PS5 ~13-14TFs
$499 Xbox Anaconda ~12TFs

Add $100 if they want to push more TFs but that is about what will happen next gen based on rumors... any surprise will be Sony pushing more for graphics entering in the $499 price point and Anaconda trying to cover that with the $599 price point.

And I believe due how gaming development works no game will beat Sony PS5 exclusives in terms of graphics due it having no other hardware holding it to reach fully optimizations... even Anaconda with ~2TFs additional will be hold by Lockhart and PC to reach the peak and so being below PS5 in terms of graphics.

Hardware optimizations exists in gaming development.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

In my view if the both companies choose to follow the rumored paths we will have next gen:

$299 Xbox Lockhart ~4-6TFs (I don't see reason to push more than that for 1080p)
$399 PS5 ~13-14TFs
$499 Xbox Anaconda ~12TFs

Add $100 if they want to push more TFs but that is about what will happen next gen based on rumors... any surprise will be Sony pushing more for graphics entering in the $499 price point and Anaconda trying to cover that with the $599 price point.

And I believe due how gaming development works no game will beat Sony PS5 exclusives in terms of graphics due it having no other hardware holding it to reach fully optimizations... even Anaconda with ~2TFs additional will be hold by Lockhart and PC to reach the peak and so being below PS5 in terms of graphics.

Hardware optimizations exists in gaming development.

Is the only difference in Lockhart compared to Anaconda is the GPU (based on rumors)? Or is it a worse GPU, plus other things?

Again, that's not how game development works. I don't know how many different ways it can be reiterated to you that what you see on a console is not what was created. It's a scaled down build of the original texture resolution, assets, environmental geometry, shadows, reflections, LoD distance and draw etc.

I just posted two PC exclusive games from some of the most talented graphically focused developers that have no ceiling in their development beyond what is capable from an art and real-time rendering standpoint and they roughly fall in line with the rest of the pack. You overestimate what game developers can do.

None of this is sky's the limit, there's engine and technological limitations in the software.
You can look at Days Gone on the PS4 vs. the same game on the PS4 PRO. One game has double the TF power, yet the difference for that game is small but also noticeable. If the game was built for the PS4 PRO only, it'll look better.
No it wouldn't because there's only enough power there to push the increase in resolution and some minute setting differences. If they could graphically push the game more that would only serve to decrease its rendering resolution.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Again, that's not how game development works. I don't know how many different ways it can be reiterated to you that what you see on a console is not what was created. It's a scaled down build of the original texture resolution, assets, environmental geometry, shadows, reflections, LoD distance and draw etc.

I just posted two PC exclusive games from some of the most talented graphically focused developers that have no ceiling in their development beyond what is capable from an art and real-time rendering standpoint and they roughly fall in line with the rest of the pack. You overestimate what game developers can do.
No it wouldn't because there's only enough power there to push the increase in resolution and some minute setting differences. If they could graphically push the game more that would only serve to decrease its rendering resolution.
Optimization is done by specific hardware... open any API or game source code and you will see tons of IFs with platform specific (even PC CPU, GPU, etc) code path.... you can reach these called "miracles" with code optimization for specific hardware.

Yes gaming development... no... any software development works like that.

BTW Intel.

How Should a System be Optimized?
In the "good old days" developers expended a lot of effort formulating the most efficient mechanisms to perform specific tasks on expensive hardware. The software engineering departments of many universities invariably had teams of researchers performing mathematical proofs on the latest algorithms, identifying the speed with which they would operate. (These were the days of Tony Hoare and Donald Knuth, famed for their works on the ways of searching and sorting data.) This was, and still is, valuable work, applied by many pieces of commercial software. However, the performance of modern hardware far outweighs that which was available in even the recent past (Moore's Law still applies), and the costs also continue to drop.

These days, optimization is much more likely to involve identifying the appropriate hardware to use as a platform, and then tuning the system for that hardware. It is far more cost-effective to add another 512 MB of memory to a computer running an application server than to pay for a consultant or developer to rewrite part of the system. With the commoditization of software (how many sites write their own database server software these days rather than using a commercial package?), hardware selection is critical since the customer often does not have access to the underlying source code of the system.

That said, fast hardware is not an excuse for poor design and coding practice; if an application halts while waiting for user input, or while data is locked in a database, it does not matter how fast the processor is. Software tools such as the Intel VTune™ Performance Analyzer should be used to identify, isolate, and rectify bottlenecks occurring with in-house code, and software vendors often supply their own tools for monitoring and maintaining the performance of their systems.
The best is make your code optimized to the specific CPU your running it... of course optimization costs money so you should balance what is better to you but when you are developing for a fixed hardware it becomes cheaper because you already develop for that hardware alone making optimization merged with your game development budegt.

Brute force will always be a less-optimized way to archive better graphics because if you take your time to optimize for that stronger hardware then you have the "miracle".

You can expect next-gen to PS5 shines in graphics with exclusives even having the weaker hardware ;)

It would be the RAM capacity as well, a system with a different target resolution doesn't need the same amount of RAM.
Ohhh yeap... I forgot the RAM... amount of RAM will be different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom