• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Threi

notag
Hopefully factory images post then, too. I'm basically running stock and unrooted, but something I did before makes OTAs not work. Factory images are easy to flash though.

If you use a custom recovery with logs you can see what is causing the OTA to fail and fix it (it's usually just some system file that is modified; happened to me and it was stickmount that modified a file and i had to change it before OTA updates would work again)

Jzero

I wonder how many times i've pressed "Check now" haha. Either way, goodbye jelly bean and hurry up KitKat.

ibdzCGodt3TnJF.png

tagrat

Just picked up my Nexus 7 from MicroCenter today. Any suggestions on a video player? Want to be able to playback 1080p mkv files with soft subs.

Was gonna go iPad but think I've decided to get this instead. My father had the original G1 and I got the first mytouch. I'm too attached to android.

Jzero

Not much changed in the update besides the sounds and some icons, etc.

Still no transparent App Drawer, looks like i'm sticking with Nova.

I don't get why we didn't get the same things as the Nexus 5.

Edit: Son of a bitch, why did Google think installing the HP Print Service Plugin automatically was a good idea? Now i can't even remove it from the "updates" list for my apps.

Threi

notag
Does Nova have any cons versus Apex Launcher? That hasn't been updated in a while.
The only con i can think of is nova doesn't have a "tablet mode" like apex (although you can make your own)

Outside of that everything else is either the same or better.

DonMigs85

The only con i can think of is nova doesn't have a "tablet mode" like apex (although you can make your own)

Outside of that everything else is either the same or better.

The Apex devs said updates are on the way so I'll give them a bit longer. But is the free Nova good enough?

Threi

notag
The Apex devs said updates are on the way so I'll give them a bit longer. But is the free Nova good enough?
Yeah. Unless you need something specific in the paid version (like custom gestures), the free version is fine.

Either way it's like installing a different browser. Just try it out and if you don't like it use something else.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Quite often, when I hit the home button, the tablet takes a second or so to display all the icons on my home screen. It sometimes happens when I first unlock my device as well. Is this an android thing or do I have a defective unit?

Just got one. Already have the update to kit kat but havent installed it.

I heard HBOgo only just got updated for 4.3. If I update to 4.4 will the app not work?

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using the built in encryption tool? When you start it, does the encryption get to 100% then reboot to ask for a password then reboot again into the lock screen? I am trying to figure out if it was a successful encryption. If it failed, would it have shown an error?

Groof

Any idea when the update comes online? Don't wanna do it manually D:

It is already online. Google's rollouts are so slow the actual rollout needs to be rolled out. If you really want it now just sideload the OTA .zip, it's easy and you won't lose any data. Otherwise, wait a bit more.

Blablurn

It is already online. Google's rollouts are so slow the actual rollout needs to be rolled out. If you really want it now just sideload the OTA .zip, it's easy and you won't lose any data. Otherwise, wait a bit more.

wait wait, when i download the zip straight on my nexus 7 and sideload it, i dont have to do all those strange menu action with shutting down ur nexus, pushing some buttons, going to the android menu etc?

Groof

wait wait, when i download the zip straight on my nexus 7 and sideload it, i dont have to do all those strange menu action with shutting down ur nexus, pushing some buttons, going to the android menu etc?

No, you can't just put it on your device, so you still need to enter the strange menu and push some buttons. But it's really quite simple. Here's a good guide of how to do it:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...4-4-ota-update-krt16o-for-2013-wi-fi-nexus-7/

I would also recommend getting Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit, as it can streamline a few of those bits.

Husker86

Ok everyone, I thought I should make a small tutorial on how to flash the factory images (without wiping!) for those that don't know.

Android SDK should be installed on your computer.

Firstly, the link https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
From here you get the factory images straight from Google.

Next, use 7zip or something similar to get to the uncompressed folder of what you downloaded and extract that folder.

For the 2013 Nexus 7 WiFi you are left with a folder called "razor-krt16o" for the KitKat build.

Inside that folder there is a file called "flash-all.bat". This is what you use if you're on Windows. For Mac, you use the "flash-all.sh".

You can edit either of these in a text editor, what you see is this:

The '-w' that I underlined in red is what you need to delete. After getting rid of that and saving, run the "flash-all.bat" for Windows or "flash-all.sh" for Mac and that's it; the tool will do everything from there and get you the fresh update straight from Google. You can do this while your phone is booted up as long as USB debugging is enabled. Otherwise, you'll have to reboot to the bootloader and then run the tool.

Remember that this will write a stock recovery and you will lose root. On Nexus devices that isn't an issue really, as long as your bootloader is unlocked. Pushing TWRP or CWM and flashing SuperSU is pretty simple.

Or you can just get an OTA zip from XDA like others have suggested. I'm weird in the sense that I don't mind flashing custom ROMs on some phones but I just really prefer to get my updates straight from Google. Also, factory images are usually posted very quickly.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
That $50 off coupon at Staples finally made me pick one up and it's great! One thing though, is there some sort of issue with Netflix on this thing? It never gets past the loading screen. I can't do anything with it. I tried reinstalling it ands still nothing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That all reads like gibberish to me. I flashed phones before and even put android on the hp touchpad back in the day, but eff it. Ain't nobody got time for that anymore. Just hurry up and push it, google!!!

Groof

That all reads like gibberish to me. I flashed phones before and even put android on the hp touchpad back in the day, but eff it. Ain't nobody got time for that anymore. Just hurry up and push it, google!!!

If all your drivers are properly installed, it takes the better part of 30 seconds to do all of that. However, Windows 8 and Android drivers seem to be enemies for life so you'll probably be fighting with that for a bit.

Threi

notag
I've honestly never really had much of a problem with adb/drivers and windows 8 (for nexus devices anyways...samsung devices are a pain in the ass)

All i do is grab the driver off google's site, plug it in, turn on usb debugging, install the driver, reboot to the bootloader, install the driver again, and i'm done. Always works for me.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If all your drivers are properly installed, it takes the better part of 30 seconds to do all of that. However, Windows 8 and Android drivers seem to be enemies for life so you'll probably be fighting with that for a bit.

I have no doubt I can get it done, I just don't feel like trying. I'm also worried about the expanded role of Google now and search which is flaky for me given that Google hasn't decided whether I live in the united States or not.

Blablurn

WiFi seems to be improved on KitKat for me. Device feels a little more snappy overall.
I saw a YouTube video where someone mentioned the same. Can't believe it since the new nexus is already so damn snappy. Looking forward to see the improvements.

Forsete

Gawgle needs to step up their push game. Pushing out updates takes waaaaaay to long. Blah.

Manually installed 4.4, sad to see no transparent bar. :(

Top Bottom