• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 Plans: Digital Event On 06/16, Nintendo World Championships 2015 on 06/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Reggie: Ohhh Dee you stupid bitch!

Frank: OK, all right, what makes me happy is, like, you know, at night, a ride around town in a limousine, partying, having a good time. When I'm on my way to E3, I'll pass someone going to the Xbox conference. I take a box with some Wii U stuff in it, lob it out and bean him. He only gets a couple of the games. He doesn't get the whole thing, most break. He doesn't even have a way to play it! And you say, "Hey, how do ya like a taste of the good life, ya sack a' shit?"

Tell me this isn't writing itself!

AdanVC

I'm surprised (sad) we didn't see a Fils-A-Mech appearance :( But props to Mega64 for bringing a new concept with this announcament video wich was funny AF. But Fils-A-Mech remains GOAT.

Why can't 2D platformers be considered big games? Then if there is a new DK and it is 3D, can it be considered a big game? You are right, most people wouldn't put a Yoshi game on the same level as the top franchises of the company, but at the same time, two of the top franchises are 2D platformers franchises, at least partially (Mario and Donkey Kong).

You didn't answer why you think Nintendo isn't going to announce a big game this year, though. Or if Splatoon counted as a big announcement.
Nintendo is saturated with 2D platformers. The announcement of another one would not be huge news. I would not consider Donkey Kong a top franchise for Nintendo, and Nintendo has exhausted Mario's name to the point of hilarity. I was also comparing Yoshi's Woolly World and Mario Maker to the top franchises of other companies, not just Nintendo. The only thing, in my opinion, that is on the level of something like Final Fantasy, Uncharted, or Metal Gear Solid is Zelda, and that won't be at E3.

I personally don't consider Splatoon to be a big game. It's a fun game. I hope it does well, and it's great that Nintendo is pushing a new IP so much, but it's not on the same level as the games I've mentioned. The reason I don't think Nintendo will have any big games is that they have not given any reason to believe that they are. I could ask the same about you. What makes you think Nintendo has big games to announce? Nintendo has chosen to showcase Mario Maker at the Best Buy demo, which is already a weird game to allow the public to try. Every game Nintendo is known to be developing is a smaller game with the exception of Zelda. The Wii U successor could be announced as early as next year. Any new game they could announce isn't likely to be huge, in my opinion. Even if it were something like Star Fox, it could be of an episodic nature with shoe-horned GamePad controls, something that would probably disappoint the few people who wanted a new Star Fox. To me, it's just safer to assume Nintendo doesn't have much than to expect the world from them.

Edit: What studios do Nintendo have that could be working on unannounced projects?

Brofield

In case anyone can figure it out, here's the best shots I could get of the games:

SNES game:
nVIBU1.png

N64 game:
hfIkUL.png

We can probably narrow it down to Nintendo-published games, right?

I'd almost say the N64 reminds me of Mario Party.

SNES looks like a moon (yellow blob), but it doesn't quite match StarFox

Hatchtag

Banned
When E3 is televised as well?

I think it can make some impact on them.

no one watches tv anymore. it's all about going on youtube grandpa.

Only half sarcastic. With the large young audience of e-celebs and such, I think there's not much to gain anymore by putting conferences on television. The majority of their target audience is tech savvy. Couple that with how much they've already lost mainstream audiences and won't really gain a good opportunity to regain them until a new system, and there's almost nothing to gain by broadcasting this on tv.

Rosalina game...

I want to believe.
Thats what I've been thinking for a couple years now. They will make a Rosalina game, but due to moving the 3D Mario series into a more...NSMB look they will make Super Rosalina Galaxy that would essentially be SMG3. If a Galaxy game gets made at all, I'm betting on Rosalina being the main character.

Red Devil

Nintendo is saturated with 2D platformers. The announcement of another one would not be huge news. I would not consider Donkey Kong a top franchise for Nintendo, and Nintendo has exhausted Mario's name to the point of hilarity. I was also comparing Yoshi's Woolly World and Mario Maker to the top franchises of other companies, not just Nintendo. The only thing, in my opinion, that is on the level of something like Final Fantasy, Uncharted, or Metal Gear Solid is Zelda, and that won't be at E3.

I personally don't consider Splatoon to be a big game. It's a fun game. I hope it does well, and it's great that Nintendo is pushing a new IP so much, but it's not on the same level as the games I've mentioned. The reason I don't think Nintendo will have any big games is that they have not given any reason to believe that they are. I could ask the same about you. What makes you think Nintendo has big games to announce? Nintendo has chosen to showcase Mario Maker at the Best Buy demo, which is already a weird game to allow the public to try. Every game Nintendo is known to be developing is a smaller game with the exception of Zelda. The Wii U successor could be announced as early as next year. Any new game they could announce isn't likely to be huge, in my opinion. Even if it were something like Star Fox, it could be of an episodic nature with shoe-horned GamePad controls, something that would probably disappoint the few people who wanted a new Star Fox. To me, it's just safer to assume Nintendo doesn't have much than to expect the world from them.

For one I don't think they'd just delay Zelda without nothing to make up for it, and not it isn't the game that's coming out in September...

No idea where that idea that Star Fox is episodic came up from either.

TrueBlue

Rosalina game...

I want to believe.

Super Mario Galaxy 3: Rosalina's Universe?

I will say this for conferences: the quantity of the games shown is usually never in doubt. I just feel like there's a lot of preening that detracts from the experience. Those 3 or 4 minutes Sony spent on saying they weren't going to be shitheads would have been better served showing the Last Guardian, or something from Naughty Dog, or whatever etc.

Edit: What studios do Nintendo have that could be working on unannounced projects?

I agree with you completely, Dimentio. That's why I keep my expectations in check and will avoid any hype. No Zelda U footage already destroyed my hype and I have no reason to believe we will get atleast two other high budget AAA Games from Nintendo announced at this years E3.

Dr. Buni

I wouldn't really say they are saturated with 2D platformers, although I would much rather have a new 3D one instead of a 2D. On Donkey Kong, that is your opinion only. Not trying to belittle your opinion, you are obviously entitled to it, but Donkey Kong IS one of Nintendo's top franchises and among the best selling ones as well.

I understand. If those are the franchises you consider top (which seems to imply that top = popular), I personally would rather Nintendo focus on "mid" and "bottom" franchises at E3 then. Don't get me wrong, I like Zelda and enjoyed most titles I played from the series, but it isn't alone in the hall of top Nintendo franchises at all.

So even with all the marketing Nintendo is giving to Splatoon, it doesn't count as a big game in your opinion. I think it was the biggest and most impressive announcement of the past E3 personally. And yeah, the Wii U successor could be announced next year for sure, but it isn't going to be released before 2017 at earliest. Do you think Nintendo will not release any notable games in those next two years? I don't.

I personally don't consider Splatoon to be a big game. It's a fun game. I hope it does well, and it's great that Nintendo is pushing a new IP so much, but it's not on the same level as the games I've mentioned.

Splatoon is the very definition of a "big game."

Can't believe that nobody allows Nintendo any latitude to make any new IP and god forbid it be considered something big if it's not Mario or Zelda. You're the reason we get Nintendo properties shoehorned into everything, that reluctance to design anything new and let it stand on its own.

I'm hyped! :D Last year was great, I honestly stayed up all night watching Tree House and Tournament stuff. It was really fantastic.

And of course the Direct is the juicy best bit! :D

Can't wait for this year!

Sometimes they are, but not always. I think both Sony and Microsoft have been better at focusing on games and not diagrams and chatter the last couple of years. I expect something similar this year.

And E3 wouldn't be E3 without stuff like this.

This is a lot like what Nintendo is doing, though. That year Sony went full force with pandering to their fans to get to e dge on the competition, and it worked out very nicely. They basically realized that their fans are everything.

Nintendo has started realizing this, and it is quite noticeable. People don't want Cammie Dunaway Nintendo, they want fun silly Nintendo that has great games and makes us feel like kids again.

When Nintendo or Sony does stuff like this it keeps their names in the headlines. People talked about the Robot Chicken stuff last year because it stood out. They had a fun press station and delivered the games.

They had those E3 moments, but they were delivered in a different way. I understand the hype of having a live audience, but when most of the audience is just filler it kind of devalue the message the company is trying to convey.

Can't believe that nobody allows Nintendo any latitude to make any new IP and god forbid it be considered something big if it's not Mario or Zelda. You're the reason we get Nintendo properties shoehorned into everything, that reluctance to design anything new and let it stand on its own.

And then people moan about Nintendo not having new IPs when they were actually making a lot of fresh series and franchises throughout the 21st century.

TrueBlue

Well, it is Mario's 30th anniversary this year. Even if Mario Maker is the commemorative game, it doesn't preclude Nintendo from announcing something else Mario related.

blurrygil

I played in the 1990 NWC (I didn't do very well, I was 9) in Cleveland. It was awesome. Glad to see they are bringing it back. It was an amazing experience, one of the most memorable from my childhood.

That's awesome to know. I was there too in Seattle, PowerFest 1990. Amazing stuff.

One of the few memorabilia I have from then is my NWC90 original t-shirt, which is now displayed in my arcade room (upper-right):

CE5z9XAVEAMqe6z.jpg~original

I wouldn't really say they are saturated with 2D platformers, although I would much rather have a new 3D one instead of a 2D. On Donkey Kong, that is your opinion only. Not trying to belittle your opinion, you are obviously entitled to it, but Donkey Kong IS one of Nintendo's top franchises and among the best selling ones as well.

I understand. If those are the franchises you consider top (which seems to imply that top = popular), I personally would rather Nintendo focus on "mid" and "bottom" franchises at E3 then. Don't get me wrong, I like Zelda and enjoyed most titles I played from the series, but it isn't alone in the hall of top Nintendo franchises at all.

So even with all the marketing Nintendo is giving to Splatoon, it doesn't count as a big game in your opinion. I think it was the biggest and most impressive announcement of the past E3 personally. And yeah, the Wii U successor could be announced next year for sure, but it isn't going to be released before 2017 at earliest. Do you think Nintendo will not release any notable games in those next two years? I don't.
I wish I could take the time to respond to you with a more in-depth reply, but I'm on my phone at the moment running errands, so I cannot do the research I want to. What studios does Nintendo have that could be working on games we don't know about? I mean, it's probable that there will be a big game released on Wii U before its successor releases, but I'm doubtful of it showing up this June.

Just because I don't believe Splatoon is a big game does not mean I would have preferred it to be Mario Paintball. I don't even think it's a bad game, and I even said it was great that they are pushing a new IP. Nintendo did it a disservice by the way it plans on handling the online play.

Bioshocker

I know Im being trolled here, but Mega64 did a lot of this video so I would hazard a guess that Nintendo themselves didnt spend an extraordinary amount of time on it.

Yeah, and some of them were funny. But I'm not talking about resources but rather attention. And this thread is poof that it works.

Exactly. Splatoon is most certainly a big game. The focus on it during last year's E3 and everything that's been happening with it the last couple weeks show that. The fact that it's a new IP doesn't matter. Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, No Man's Sky, etc. are all big games and are all new IPs.

JoeM86

And then people moan about Nintendo not having new IPs when they were actually making a lot of fresh series and franchises throughout the 21st century.

StreetsAhead pointed this out to me earlier. The Top 4 featured games on Nintendo Japan's site right now are of IP that were introduced the past 5 years. Two of them new this year

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/

Codename STEAM (2015), Splatoon (2015), Xenoblade Chronicles X (2010), Stretchmo (2011)

Sendou

Yeah, and some of them were funny. But I'm not talking about resources but rather attention. And this thread is poof that it works.

Yeah Nintendo has formed the perfect plan. Gather a lot of attention to their E3 showing just to show nothing. I mean what's your thinking here?

Would it have killed them to use the old red Nintendo logo for the NWC2015 design only? Looks weird and not as good with the boring new white Nintendo logo.

Well, it is Mario's 30th anniversary this year. Even if Mario Maker is the commemorative game, it doesn't preclude Nintendo from announcing something else Mario related.
Super Mario Galaxy HD Collection for Wii U I could see happening.
I honestly really don't have any clue what to expect in terms of announcements.
I just hope they have enough content for both platforms.

Penguin

When E3 is televised as well?

I think it can make some impact on them.

I don't think any of e3 will be televised this year

And part of it has to do with the death of G4, but when networks are doing LESS e3 coverage not more year over year, I think it speaks to the mainstream general lack of interest

StreetsAhead pointed this out to me earlier. The Top 4 featured games on Nintendo Japan's site right now are of IP that were introduced the past 5 years. Two of them new this year

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/

Codename STEAM (2015), Splatoon (2015), Xenoblade Chronicles X (2010), Stretchmo (2011)

Yup, I have also read Streets's tweets. Makes statements about lack of new franchises even more delusional... and now it's just painful to hear moans like "they will show Mario, Mario and another Mario" from dumbasses from my very Nintendo-unfriendly country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom