• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2007

LightningZero5 said:
Impressive Vegas sales for 360. That game came out in November right? A Ubi game with legs is a rarity, I hope it stays up.

It's the best multiplayer shooter on the system. The sales are well-deserved. Don't forget that GRAW had legs for most of last year.

Dante said:
Because over the next couple weeks PS3 owners are getting:

VF5
Tekken DR
flOw
F1
Motorstorm
Calling All Cars
God Of War 2 ( yeah I know )
Oblivion

well atleast I'll be picking these up

NPD doesn't track downloads and the only PS3 game on your list with a shot of making the Top 10 is Motorstorm in March unless people suddenly decide they like VF5 (which they won't).

With that being said, I'm glad that I'll be getting some good use of my PS3 by March!

Jammy

Banned
Why do I keep seeing this "Seems like it's all Nintendo stuff selling on Wii" crap? Isn't Resistance: Fall of Man generally seen as a first party title?

I also think the only reason that it's up there is because PS3 owners haven't bought anything else on the system. As of last month, Madden was the second-highest seller on the system and it was only outselling the Wii version by a couple thousand.

If you bring up a "What else are they going to buy" or "Too bad only Nintendo's getting those sales" comments, you better not be one of those PS3 lovers.

Dante

DeaconKnowledge said:
Then Why can't the Virtual Console be counted?

Go ahead and count it :)

I'm just saying maybe the list of games I mentioned is why some people have cooled on the "no games out" for PS3 talk.

Jammy

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Then Why can't the Virtual Console be counted?

Virtual Console is too popular. A month ago Nintendo reported over 1.5 million games sold via the Shop Channel, effectively making it a non-channel.

I am glad when good games get their due. Lost Planet being the top selling game of the month is cool to see. Especially when it shows that Capcom's newer direction with the 360 is paying off. While short, the game is a blast to play and the graphics are top notch.

The ~350K copies that they have sold puts them at about 18 million at retail. While they still have a long way to go to recoup the 40 million they spent, they are well on their way. (I realize Capcom does not see all of the 18 million)

Also very sweet R6 Vegas numbers. That game delivers such a solid multiplayer experience. It deserves the good sales and guarantees us that there will be a constant stream of people to play with online. It has to be approaching 600K at this point.

Dante said:
I'll give you the PS2 game which is why I added a comment, but I don't see why you can't add PSN stuff. Tekken DR could easily be a full retail title.

Sony releases the sales figures of their Playstation Network games?

Dante said:
Go ahead and count it :)

I'm just saying maybe the list of games I mentioned is why some people have cooled on the "no games out" for PS3 talk.

I'm not poo-pooing the PS3 as having no games, understand. I just hate the "OMG Wii has no games" cry when it's right off of launch and the PS3 (and to a lesser extend the 360 in January) were in a like-minded situation.

sphinx

the piano man
hasn't zelda sold more than a million already?

I guess it has passed to the other realm.

it's now a Non-adventure game.

jwj442

jjasper said:
PS3 might have had the worst line up in the history of videogames last month, it had Sonic on 1/31 and that's it.
Didn't the Gamecube get ZERO games in one month of 05?

Kaeru

Banned
sphinx said:
hasn't zelda sold more than a million already?

I guess it has passed to the other realm.

it's now a Non-adventure game.

I think this joke has passed on to non-funny being used more then 1million times.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Tell that to the XBOX.

It was the superior graphic system which had a lot of the multiplatform PS2 titles. Why didn't it sell 1:1 with the PS2?

There are extenuating factors, and HD penetration is one of them, but you are grossly overstating its importance.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. Xbox's situation is nothing like that of PS3's and X360's situations. Xbox still worked on the same display technology as the competition, it was around the same price, and Microsoft was a newcomer. SDTV and HDTV is a clear market segmentation. People do not usually go out and buy things that are meant to be played in HD resolutions unless they are capable of displaying them in said HD resolutions. Microsoft and Sony are both established market leaders at this point. The slow uptake isn't because of brand, software, or interface. It's because of price and HDTVs being a barrier to entry.

So HDTV adoption is in fact a huge differentiating factor this generation as compared with last generation.

plagiarize said:
i think the slowing zelda tie ratio is symptomatic of a couple of things. most zelda fans probably have a cube and are getting frustrated trying to find a wii, and word of mouth with 'non gamers' is increasing meaning that more of the people looking for the system are kind of people that don't care about zelda.
while that's quite true, it begs the question (that only the lower end of the charts can inform us of), are these new "non-zelda"-centric adopters buying ANY other game, since Wii sports is bundled with the system? and if so, what titles are they gravitating towards? surely it can't all be warioware, as it's pretty obvious the early adopters for WarioWare are 'starved' early adopters from november/december for the most part.

PS2 outsold the 360 again?!? Wow. That PS2 just won't die! (it just barely beat the 360 though.)

:lol @ PS3 . . . that thing may die! As a brand new console, it should be selling MUCH better.

Total Software and Accesory sales:
PS3 $63M
Wii $72M
(Assuming 4 60 gig PS3s sold for every 20 gig)

This means the Wii´s attach rate this past month was probably about 2.5 (not counting the pack in), while the PS3´s attach rate was about 4!
(This assumes that about 80% of the money goes towards software, and 20% to accesories - beware, this is a big assumption!)

Yay! Finally some good PS3 news!

I don´t have the time to do this for the other systems, maybe someone else can finish this off, and check my numbers and do this all more accurately. This was just a back of the envelope calculation.

mmlemay said:
No, I think that the fact that it's an incredibly fun game with a great demo plays just as much of a role. If people just wanted it for the Halo 3 beta they could wait for it and they wouldn't all be playing it on Live right now.

*snf*

"Mmmm! Fresh Agent!"

:D

So, I guess its safe to assume that LP is > 400K (possibly 450K).

Seems to me thats gotta be one of the best selling new IPs released in the month of January.

Anyone know how it compares to other new IPs released in January?

Busaiku

Bungalow Bob said:
This means the Wii´s attach rate this past month was probably about 2.5 (not counting the pack in), while the PS3´s attach rate was about 4!
(This assumes that about 80% of the money goes towards software, and 20% to accesories - beware, this is a big assumption!)
Can't say the numbers, but I can say that you're wrong (right?).

Moderation Unlimited said:
I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. Xbox's situation is nothing like that of PS3's and X360's situations. Xbox still worked on the same display technology as the competition, it was around the same price, and Microsoft was a newcomer. SDTV and HDTV is a clear market segmentation. People do not usually go out and buy things that are meant to be played in HD resolutions unless they are capable of displaying them in said HD resolutions. Microsoft and Sony are both established market leaders at this point. The slow uptake isn't because of brand, software, or interface. It's because of price and HDTVs being a barrier to entry.

So HDTV adoption is in fact a huge differentiating factor this generation as compared with last generation.

That's quite the assumption. Prove it.

Mar

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

orange.gif

NPD this month was an epic frustrating event.

Nice to see Wario Ware up in the top 10. I didn't expect that at all. I have a feeling Wii Play will go well this month. As for Wii hardware sales, it's pretty interesting to see it still going strong. I certainly didn't expect it to top all the other systems, but it did that and almost doubled everything elses total. I mean, sure you heard everyone saying the PS3 was everywhere and the Wii was nowhere. But the defence on GAF almost made me believe it was because Nintendo weren't getting anything into stores and the PS3 was selling like hot cakes. Well that silly idea has been put to rest at least.

Shame the DS is in short supply. That's the lowest we've seen it for quite some time.

Considering Sony's trumpeting of being able to sell systems with no games. And their general arrogant attitude. I'm pleased to see their sales low. Hopefully they learn from this and realise they aren't the juggernaut they believe they are. Take a leaf out of Nintendo's book and see that your brand name does not equal success.

Bungalow Bob said:
PS3 $63M
Wii $72M

I don´t have the time to do this for the other systems, maybe someone else can finish this off, and check my numbers and do this all more accurately. This was just a back of the envelope calculation.

Hmm... what?

Flo_Evans

vasuba said:
Lost Planet is benefittingnot cause of itself in sales. There was a picture someone posted yesterday from a Stores backroom. The Box Said Halo 3 Beta with Lost Planet pack in.

Halo 3 Beta is whats really on sale with a just happened to be packed in lost planet.

you mean crackdown? LP was not packed in with anything.

Just a question. We're not allowed to post sales figures for NPD because they're copyrighted and they can only be released when they say it's ok.

Software sales come out on Wednesday for Mediacreate and hardware comes out on Thursday.

But...we get leaks sometimes that are very, very close to the actuals. Now, why are we allowed to leak sales and information from magazines and other sites...but NPD is held on a higher pedestal. So high, in fact, that a person posting "rumored" figures that were found elsewhere becomes a bannable offense?

NDA leaks and "top-secret" information are posted all the time. That's one of the things that make GAF so good. Why is NPD different? I understand an agreement was made to release them at their discretion...but why did it even have to get that far?

vasuba said:
Lost Planet is benefittingnot cause of itself in sales. There was a picture someone posted yesterday from a Stores backroom. The Box Said Halo 3 Beta with Lost Planet pack in.

Halo 3 Beta is whats really on sale with a just happened to be packed in lost planet.

*shakes head*

Bungalow Bob said:
PS3 $63M
Wii $72M

Roughly 98% of the PS3s sold were the 60 GB version according to one of the reports. Also, you are assuming that no one bought any controllers, cables, or any other accessories for the PS3 or the Wii. It's already been stated in one report how many pieces of software were sold for each system. The Wii had almost 1 million and the PS3 had around 675,000, if I remember correctly. This would mean the Wii has a January tie ratio around 2.2 and the PS3 has a January tie ratio closer to 2.7.

Impressive for the PS3.

DayShallCome said:
Hmm... what?

Just take the total sales for a system (which is in this thread), and then subtract the money generated from hardware sales. Then all you need is the software to accesory ratio (which of course would be different for each system), and then you just have to know how much the average game costs for whatever system you´re analizing. It should give a pretty good approximation (assuming the numbers in this thread are all correct).

Flo_Evans

Martoo said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

orange.gif

NPD this month was an epic frustrating event.

But the defence on GAF almost made me believe it was because Nintendo weren't getting anything into stores and the PS3 was selling like hot cakes. Well that silly idea has been put to rest at least.

In all fairness I did not think nintnedo shipped half that many based on how hard it was to obtain one last month. I would go to stores and they would say "we havent got any this month and we don't know if we even will"

There was no doubt about the demand, it just didn't seem like nintendo was shipping any based on my (and many others) frustration.

DeaconKnowledge said:
In 05? I doubt it. The shovelware train was going full speed.

'06? Almost definitely.
No, it was '05. It was the month Pennant Chase was shelved and Fire Emblem: PoR came out in Japan.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
jjasper said:
PS3 might have had the worst line up in the history of videogames last month, it had Sonic on 1/31 and that's it.

If you think that's bad, pray for the 360 Japanese release list for the next 3 months. It's absolutely atrocious and MS deserves every kick in the balls joke about having NOTHING their Japanese customers might be interested in.

mmlemay said:
Roughly 98% of the PS3s sold were the 60 GB version according to one of the reports. Also, you are assuming that no one bought any controllers, cables, or any other accessories for the PS3 or the Wii. It's already been stated in one report how many pieces of software were sold for each system. The Wii had almost 1 million and the PS3 had around 675,000, if I remember correctly. This would mean the Wii has a January tie ratio around 2.2 and the PS3 has a January tie ratio closer to 2.7.

Impressive for the PS3.

Thanks.
I assumed people bought controllers and stuff - just underestimated.

And 98%. Damn, I find that hard to believe.

vasuba

Banned
Bungalow Bob said:
Thanks.
I assumed people bought controllers and stuff - just underestimated.

And 98%. Damn, I find that hard to believe.

honestly i stopped seeing 20gb shipments before christmas. all i ever saw coming into stores was 60gb

JCBossman

Banned
Moderation Unlimited said:
This is the sad truth. There is nothing to buy :/.

I have a hunch that Wii and DS sales are being driven by little girls. I swear everytime I go into a place like EB Games or Gamestop, the place is packed with them. The prospects of getting more 'teh mature' games on Wii seems bleak at best.

Those little girls are waiting to buy Manhunt 2, when they grow up, I'd sleep with one eye open...if you catch my drift

vasuba

Banned
mmlemay said:
Did you delete your idiotic, trolling post about Crackdown?

wasnt a trolling post really. The pictures were posted on the forums yesterday of the do not open boxes with it specifying Halo 3 was the real draw inside the box.

vasuba said:
wasnt a trolling post really. The pictures were posted on the forums yesterday of the do not open boxes with it specifying Halo 3 was the real draw inside the box.

Yes. It was a joke. An old joke from before people realized how awesome Crackdown is. And you made the comment that the only reason that Crackdown will sell well is because of the Halo 3 beta that no one can play until April or May.

mmlemay said:
Yes. It was a joke. An old joke from before people realized how awesome Crackdown is. And you made the comment that the only reason that Crackdown will sell well is because of the Halo 3 beta that no one can play until April or May.

I'm sure that it did see more than a few sales because of the Halo 3 beta, to be honest.

mmlemay said:

It's truly remarkable to watch Crackdown trolling, is it not?

Top Bottom