• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

Busaiku

Aeana said:
DQ9's position means it probably did 80k or higher, which would put it on par (or better) than DQ8's opening in the US, and about 3x higher than DQ4 DS's (let's not speak of DQ5's).
It's definitely better than Dragon Quest VIII, which started out less than 108k (don't know how much less though).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mrbob said:
It is possible. Maybe people were waiting for a big hdd and wireless included? After seeing these numbers, outside of a kinectabomb, it might be possible for the 360 to have better holiday numbers than the Wii.
You have gone very far.

NekoFever

mboojigga said:
ps3t.png
Needs more MotorStorm and Virtua Fighter 5.

FrankT

miladesn said:
First time? :lol this is obviously false or I'm missing something?

Console wise not the first time since then, but HW wise yea. DS is a beast. 3rd time this year console wise though which is total shock to me.

360 having a pretty good slim launch as compared to the PS3 first month and half or so (2 month NPD period).

360 895k
PS3 702k

We'll see if it holds up, but it's got to be up pretty nicely week over week compared to the 5 weeker last month. Best start of the year by far. We'll see how the second half holds up with the holidays.

Saiyar said:
Probably depends on wether or not Microsoft drop the price of the Slim to $150/$250 for the holidays. Would be interesting to see what happens if both Microsft and Nintendo drop their pirces.
The Wii is pretty much mirroring 2009, so its safe to say it'll still do gangbusters this Christmas.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Chozo said:
I don't know, I would consider Starcraft 2 the mother of all big game releases personally.

This top 10 doesn't include SC2 ~_^

Honestly, I think people need to moderate their expectations. A niche game series isn't likely to suddenly hit it big in the west just because Seth Green is shilling for it or an angry Scotsman is ranting about the masculinity of crab fishermen.

I dunno I was just hoping for more then that. Still, it did better then MGS5...

What's a Seth Green anyway?

edit: any word on Peace Walkers 2nd month? that $20 k-mart deal must've helped since it got even me on board o.o

Gravijah

Lindsay said:
This top 10 doesn't include SC2 ~_^

I dunno I was just hoping for more then that. Still, it did better then MGS5...

edit: any word on Peace Walkers 2nd month? that $20 k-mart deal must've helped since it got even me on board o.o

I don't think a 20 dollar k-mart deal is going to help anything. :D

Aeana

Busaiku said:
It's definitely better than Dragon Quest VIII, which started out less than 108k (don't know how much less though).
DQ8's opening was around 84k. If I had to guess, it looks like DQ9 is probably around 100-110k. That would make it a pretty big success, and all without an FF demo.

Rainier

Jtyettis said:
Console wise not the first time since then, but HW wise yea. DS is a beast.
360 having a pretty good slim launch as compared to the PS3 first month and half or so (2 month NPD period).

360 895k
PS3 702k

We'll see if it holds up, but it's got to be up pretty nicely week over week compared to the 5 weeker last month. Best start of the year by far. We'll see how the second half holds up with the holidays.
When the Slim came it, it outsold the Wii and 360 for its first two months, correct?

Lindsay said:
246830l.jpg

Road

BishopLamont said:
Whats your point? The already low Wii price isn't going to benefit as much from a price drop as the other consoles.
There's nothing "crazy" about Wii sales last month.

Will it destroy again during holiday season? Most probably.

GhaleonEB

I'm very surprised at the 360, as I thought it would lose a bit of steam this month. Wow.

Crackdown 2 sold less than half the first game opening month, but the quality of the demo minus the Halo 3 Beta is probably what did it.

Well the 360 is surprising. Didn't think it could beat the monster that is the DSi but it did for July. Good for MS, at least for last month.

Chris1964 said:
It's not the first time. It was the top selling hardware at Halo 3 month.
Really? Must have been very close.

Road said:
There's nothing "crazy" about Wii sales last month.

Will it destroy again during holiday season? Most probably.
I never said Wii sales was crazy, its just doing what it do.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
YoY

DS -26%
PSP -32%
360 119%
PS3 76%
Wii 1%

YTD

DS 3,469,800
PSP 683,300
360 2,368,400
PS3 1,805,500
Wii 2,659,600

LTD

DS 42,196,558
PSP 17,520,836
360 20,999,386
PS3 12,934,196
Wii 29,793,981

FrankT

Chris1964 said:

Hence since then as Anita states that which is what he was originally commenting on.

360 2,368,400
Wii 2,659,600

A little closer than I thought. Still firmly in the camp that a price drop is due for 360, but it seems they may hold out another year.

360 20,999,386
PS3 12,934,196

First time passing the 8 million mark differnce I believe.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gravijah said:
I don't think a 20 dollar k-mart deal is going to help anything. :D

I'm just being optimistic! Handheld games outside of main PKMN ones just can't compete with console game sales in the west huh? Segac better brace for VCII / PS:p2 bombage ;.;

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Lindsay said:
I'm just being optimistic! Handheld games outside of main PKMN ones just can't compete with console game sales in the west huh? Segac better brace for VCII / PS:p2 bombage ;.;
of course they can.

Chris1964 said:

Ahhh, I forgot about it but if there was only one month that they did it would have been Halo 3's launch.

BishopLamont said:
Really? Must have been very close

Sept. 07 NPD
* Microsoft Xbox 360: 527.8K (6.8 million total)
* Nintendo Wii: 501K (4.5 million total)
* Nintendo DS: 495.8K (13.2 million total)
* Sony PlayStation 2: 215K (39.3 million total)
* Sony PSP: 284.5K (8.6 million total)
* Sony PlayStation 3: 119.4K (1.87 million total)

markatisu

So I think we can finally declare DQIX a full success since its charting highly for 3 weeks in the EU and now in the Top 10 of the US.

Boney

Banned
Thought Galaxy 2 could be stable, kinda like Punch Out last year...

Great job on Dragon Quest, although it shouldn't be that big of a number let's hope those legs keep truckin!

Wow at 360!

Cheech

Lindsay said:

I would love to be optimistic and say Sega will learn something from this, but that company is going to be bankrupt before anybody can even say "Valkyria Chronicles 3".

And damn them for putting that series on the PSP. Just damn them.

markatisu said:
So I think we can finally declare DQIX a full success since its charting highly for 3 weeks in the EU and now in the Top 10 of the US.
UK+US = 200k? :lol

That's good... for Dragon Quest, I guess.

Jtyettis said:

360 895k
PS3 702k

I'd guess 360 sales will remain high for the rest of the year with the less expensive (and nicer looking IMO) 4GB 360 S out in August, Halo: Reach + Reach themed 360 S + big marketing push in September, and Kinect + big marketing push later in the year.

Rainier

No_Style said:
Mama, that was fine piece of work there. :lol

I want to believe you churned that out within minutes of this thread.
No, he wisely comes prepared for any and all situations. Sadly, the funniest one he created this year was in case the PSP outsells the DS. Shame that we'll never see it. :(

V_Ben

Banned
Rainier said:
No, he wisely comes prepared for any and all situations. Sadly, the funniest one he created this year was for the PSP outselling the DS. Shame that we'll never see it. :(

Maybe he'll post it in the December thread as a "deleted scene"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
BishopLamont said:
I'll take it, ban bet?

:lol :lol :lol

No. I believe it will happen, but I'm not dumb enough to do a ban bet on anything.

Busaiku

Cheech said:
I would love to be optimistic and say Sega will learn something from this, but that company is going to be bankrupt before anybody can even say "Valkyria Chronicles 3".

And damn them for putting that series on the PSP. Just damn them.
I think Sega's well aware of what they're getting into by bringing over VC2 and PSP2 here.
Though the VC2 Japanese sales might've caught them off guard.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
markatisu said:
It's a good start of an attempt making Dragon Quest more accessible outside Japan, nothing more.

No_Style said:
Mama, that was fine piece of work there. :lol

I want to believe you churned that out within minutes of this thread.
I think we all know that that is a gif that Mama Robotnik used before. The big hint is that PS2 is in there and we haven't got any PS2 numbers for a while.

Top Bottom