• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Agree. Backwards compatibility will help xbox a lot to convince people to finally jump.
If in the end they find out that backwards compatibility does not work for all games is another story.

I don't think it will at all, and it is very limited BC. PS3 had it, it is not the feature many here are making it out to be, most simply don't care 2 years into the gen,

Looks like PS4 is dominating amazon and now the batman bundle is shooting up the charts. Going to be a sizeable gap in June IMO.,

terrier

I don't think it will at all, and it is very limited BC. PS3 had it, it is not the feature many here are making it out to be, most simply don't care 2 years into the gen,

it is a nice bonus to have, but i agree, it is more important in the early days of a new generation, not 18 months into it.

Looks like PS4 is dominating amazon and now the batman bundle is shooting up the charts. Going to be a sizeable gap in June IMO.,

I think BC was more for the conference room and the XB faithful @E3. They took it as the greatest thing but when it comes to moving units PS4 is owning Amazon right now Everything they announced went from Uncharted to top 100 or just outside that on the movers and shakers. list which deals in sales jumps.

Game Guru

I think BC was more for the conference room and the XB faithful @E3. They took it as the greatest thing but when it comes to moving units PS4 is owning Amazon right now Everything they announced went from Uncharted to top 100 or just outside that on the movers and shakers. list which deals in sales jumps.

The most interesting things coming out of Microsoft to me this E3 personally is the Backwards Compatibility, Rare Replay, and Recore. There are also a few other games that are interesting to me on XB1 like Dead Rising 3, Crimson Dragon, Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. That being said, that's pretty much the only exclusive things on the XB1 that interests me, whereas with the PS4, I'm tripping over games that are very interesting to my personal tastes which are just not available on the XB1. Since the PS4 was announced, Sony has been firing on all cylinders in a way I haven't seen from them since the PS2 era. Of the three E3s they had for the PS4, they have won two of them in my mind with the winner of the third being Nintendo's E3 last year. In both E3 2013 and E3 2015, Sony just performed on a whole other level than MS or Nintendo did IMO. Hell, Nintendo usually had the easiest time in past generations in winning me over even with the GameCube and Wii, but they are now at the point where they just aren't doing it for me while Sony is winning me over more and more. I even own a 360 and am still loving what Sony is doing at the moment. Both MS and Nintendo really need to step up their game big time if they are going to compete with the Sony I am seeing right now.

I made a topic about how with the advent of digital libraries not providing BC was a huge mistake for MS because it allowed the reset button to be pressed.

BC is a huge deal. Microsoft in the pre-Ballmer-fuck-everything-up era went to great lengths to ensure a software continuum in Windows, because it meant vendor lockin.

Conduit

Banned

Batman Limited Edition is sold out now on Amazon again. Was in top 20 on hourly charts. Ordinary Batman Arkhma bundle sells for now.
Must ask Abdiel.

Are there any bish certified members in the house? I'd really love to know if what the NA charts are showing online is being played out in store post June 15.

If it continues I think it's possible Sony widens the NA gap to 1 million + units in June.

BoxyBrown

Banned

I may be wrong about this or may have just missed it, but I'm surprised they didn't even mention the Batman bundle at their E3 conference.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The current gap is 800k in NA right? If so then what I'm smoking is called realm of possibility. Which is why I think we should all collectively call for a bish certified member to give us their post E3 thoughts.

1. It's 700k
2. The most the PS4 has ever outsold the Xbox One was by >250,000 units in September 2014 thanks to the release of Destiny.
3. It's June.

Brashnir

I was going to make a post asking what kind of gamer buys a PS4 this month for games that won't come out for years based on an E3 show.

Then I remembered that I bought a launch PS3 and still only own one game for it (Axiom Verge) so I guess I kind of am that guy. In my own defense, I didn't expect this gen to be the utter shitshow it has been so far, though perhaps I should have seen the writing on the wall.

1. It's 700k
2. The most the PS4 has ever outsold the Xbox One was by >250,000 units in September 2014 thanks to the release of Destiny.
3. It's June.

I was under the assumption that the gap was 800K and figured the boost PS4 seems to be getting in sales after their E3 conference + Arkham could create a 200K gap especially since (when using amazon as a guide) post E3 Xb doesn't seem to have improved the XB selling rate that it could be possible.

Hence me calling for some bish members but alas they don't seem to be within e-earshot.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I was under the assumption that the gap was 800K and figured the boost PS4 seems to be getting in sales after their E3 conference + Arkham could create a 200K gap especially since (when using amazon as a guide) post E3 Xb doesn't seem to have improved the XB selling rate that it could be possible.

Hence me calling for some bish members but alas they don't seem to be within e-earshot.

Do you not trust me or something?

Trends I have seen had zb1 ahead before e3 and a temp os4 lead, including batman renewed interest, launching to the front. Followed by Xb1 leading again once things settled.

Oddly, though taking longer, Amazon reflects the same thing. Acu bundle was ahead before e3 2nd see of June, then tlou/batman bundles come in, and interest in 1tb sku fell off the top 100. Now acu is near the top 5, 1tb sku jumped from 157 to the top 40 in one day, halo mcc 500 isn't doing bad with, ps4 batman is static, and tlou bundle is dropping. Elite controller and rare/gears.are also swinging up near the top back and fourth.

From my point of view, and anyone can disagree, Xbox having games open at, and near e3 (august/fall) combined with all 4 of their big franchises being near release with pre-orders up, along with a few other things like rare etc, along with the 1tb bundle and expanded white bundle availability, all come together to help the system A LOT.

Ah ok, sorry, thought you were still saying that you still thought it was a higher gap and PS4 would get to 1m+ ahead of X1 this month.

Ahh good ol Zhuge. Well one thing to note, and I think you pointed this out, is that June is to small of a month. I think the Wii and kinect60 were the only state that did over 400k in June? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Welfare

Ahh good ol Zhuge. Well one thing to note, and I think you pointed this out, is that June is to small of a month. I think the Wii and kinect60 were the only state that did over 400k in June? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Times a console achieved +400k

2008 - PS3 (405.5k) Wii (666.7k)

2010 - 360 (451.7k) Wii (422.5k)

2011 - 360 (507k)

Would love some context as to why the sales were this level back then(price cut?? bundles? games?). If someone has that to share.

2008: Metal Gear Solid IV launch with bundle for PS3 and Wii being Wii

2010: Slim launch for X360 and Wii being Wii

2011: Kinect still going strong

All those Batman bundle sales from previous months won't count until Tuesday so it will be major surprise if PS4 does not lead in console sales for June NPD.

If PS4 doesn't lead this month I'll blame Sony for poor shipment on The LE Batman Bundle (even though retailers got restock after E3). I really can't see it any other way even the regular bundle is selling well.

Welfare

No way the PS4 doesn't lead in June NPD. It was already heading into June with the lead, so the best the Xbox One can do is just keep close to the PS4 sales. The Best Buy deal and this current free game offer will keep it close, but that is not enough to have the most sales.

All those Batman bundle sales from previous months won't count until Tuesday so it will be major surprise if PS4 does not lead in console sales for June NPD.

You're only looking at one factor.

We don't know how many of those were pre-ordered.

You then have White halo bundle pre-orders for this month at expanded retailer like target etc. Which got theirs in June. Games releasing at E3 and in the next month, and a new 1tb sku that appears to be doing really well. Add smaller things with that (elite controller pre-orders, Best buy trade-in deal) and this month doesn't look as one sided as even I thought before June started.

My expectations for this month all got thrown out the window.

No way the PS4 doesn't lead in June NPD. It was already heading into June with the lead, so the best the Xbox One can do is just keep close to the PS4 sales. The Best Buy deal and this current free game offer will keep it close, but that is not enough to have the most sales.

Read above, also what are you using for ps4 leading the month? Amazon? If so the second week it fell behind. Also the last few days and now are a surprise. The one time Amazon reflects what I'm seeing. Even better, didn't expect 1tb sku to jump from almost reaching 200 to jumping to the top 20..

Chobel

Trends I have seen had zb1 ahead before e3 and a temp os4 lead, including batman renewed interest, launching to the front. Followed by Xb1 leading again once things settled.

Oddly, though taking longer, Amazon reflects the same thing. Acu bundle was ahead before e3 2nd see of June, then tlou/batman bundles come in, and interest in 1tb sku fell off the top 100. Now acu is near the top 5, 1tb sku jumped from 157 to the top 40 in one day, halo mcc 500 isn't doing bad with, ps4 batman is static, and tlou bundle is dropping. Elite controller and rare/gears.are also swinging up near the top back and fourth.

From my point of view, and anyone can disagree, Xbox having games open at, and near e3 (august/fall) combined with all 4 of their big franchises being near release with pre-orders up, along with a few other things like rare etc, along with the 1tb bundle and expanded white bundle availability, all come together to help the system A LOT.

Just to be sure, how big is your sample?

Can we stop using Amazon Hourly Charts please, every-time we use them a Junior gets banned (has happened 2 months in a row).

Amazon Monthly is saying PS4 is currently leading that is all we have to say, if it changes then we can have discussions about what could have affected it.

Your data, how much does it cover (States, retailers...etc)? No need for exact numbers, just the general idea.

I have (occasional) access to 500 stores across multiple retailer that sell consoles in some form (though I don't work in these so I have to be cautious when fiddling)

Not a very big size (Gs has triple that in us alone) but its all i have in terms of following the industry. It used to be more but sears, well :(.

Can we stop using Amazon Hourly Charts please, every-time we use them a Junior gets banned (has happened 2 months in a row).

Amazon Monthly is saying PS4 is currently leading that is all we have to say, if it changes then we can have discussions about what could have affected it.

I was talking about it matching the trends im seeing. And the 1tb sku humping from heading toward 200 now in the top 15. I'm nit using the hourly charts for anything solid. Ha ha.

A_Gorilla

Banned

I would thought that it was obvious by now that casuals don't care about BC anywhere near as much as the internet would like to believe. Especially since apparently 40% of PS4 owners never owned a PS3, so the feature would be unimportant to them anyhow.

Welfare

Read above, also what are you using for ps4 leading the month? Amazon? If so the second week it fell behind. Also the last few days and now are a surprise. The one time Amazon reflects what I'm seeing. Even better, didn't expect 1tb sku to jump from almost reaching 200 to jumping to the top 20..

I don't "use" Amazon. Looking at it though, the PS4 is still ahead in the monthly chart. The PS4 entered June with a Best Buy trade in deal that lasted 2 weeks, one in the end of May NPD and the other at the beginning of June, and has month's worth of pre orders plus the actual release of the Batman bundle.

The 1TB sku jumped because the free game offer started today, and will end on Saturday.

The Xbox can be "close" to the PS4, but it taking the lead over it for the month seems off.

I was talking about it matching the trends im seeing. And the 1tb sku humping from heading toward 200 now in the top 15. I'm nit using the hourly charts for anything solid. Ha ha.

Ok then, but you do know all the Xbox Sku's are jumping because of the free game promotion right? Still Amazon Hourly is no way to measure these things and having access to 500 stores is just about the same as amazon's 5% video game market share if not less.
We have to wait for Amazon monthly to update first week of July to see who is in front.

I don't "use" Amazon. Looking at it though, the PS4 is still ahead in the monthly chart. The PS4 entered June with a Best Buy trade in deal that lasted 2 weeks, one in the end of May NPD and the other at the beginning of June, and has month's worth of pre orders plus the actual release of the Batman bundle.

The 1TB sku jumped because the free game offer started today, and will end on Saturday.

The Xbox can be "close" to the PS4, but it taking the lead over it for the month seems off.

I never said anything about Xbox taking it. However I will say the 1tb got the boost before the game giveaway and also the giveaway does not apply to amazon (unless I am mistaken)

Ok then, but you do know all the Xbox Sku's are jumping because of the free game promotion right? Still Amazon Hourly is no way to measure these things and having access to 500 stores is just about the same as amazon's 5% video game market share if not less.
We have to wait for Amazon monthly to update first week of July to see who is in front.

I'm sorry I may be wrong but the free game promotion has nothing to do with amazon doesn't it? Also the bump happed days ago.

I can't see any free game deal on amazon, are you sure its not the Microsoft store you're thinking of?

Chobel

I have (occasional) access to 500 stores across multiple retailer that sell consoles in some form (though I don't work in these so I have to be cautious when fiddling)

Not a very big size (Gs has triple that in us alone) but its all i have in terms of following the industry. It used to be more but sears, well :(.

Does it include the big ones in video games (Gamespot, Walmart, Best Buy)?

I never said anything about Xbox taking it. However I will say the 1tb got the boost before the game giveaway and also the giveaway does not apply to amazon (unless I am mistaken)

Amazon also offer the free game deal.

This just leads me to the 1tb sku. No free game deal.

iZ8Iknc.png

It appears on Desktop

Top Bottom