• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

Mrbob

DevelopmentArrested said:
:lol

A year from now it could

Doubtful. CoD4 sold for months and months and months, even up to the release of MW2.

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

Again, what Reggie actually said:

“Modern Warfare 2 is on two platforms. On a single platform, absolutely. I say that unequivocally. On one particular platform, I do believe so. You’ve got to give me the entire holiday selling season, so let’s take it all the way through the January NPD data. It’s going to be close. Modern Warfare is a a great title. As a gamer, I look forward to it. The new Modern Warfare, I think is going to be a fantastic title. Not to discount it, it will sell well. Of course I’ll play it. I play all the content out there.”

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
i havent seen alot of discussion just one person saying it was slightly below par and one saying it was good, but could those in the know about these kinds of sales tell me if l4D2 did well or not?

Dax01 said:
Not really. Just wait until Halo Reach. MW2 released on more consoles than Halo 3 did, and the next "big" Halo game is Reach.

Halo 3 sold 3.3m during it's first month IIRC. Granted, the install base has grown since then but I'd be suprised if Halo Reach sells more than MW2 360 specific sales on a launch month comparison.

MW2 will definetly chart next month. I'm sure that by the end of January the game will have sold 10m copies all together.
WHICH IS INSANE o_O
I knew the game was going to be big... but THIS big? Wow.

Wes

venison crêpe
Burai said:
Why are people surprised at the Xbox 360 outselling the PS3? Microsoft rendered hundreds of thousands of consoles useless during this NPD month. It was almost inevitable that Modern Warfare-wanting pirates would be buying replacement machines and copies of the game.

Soccer_confused.gif

Well, this is extremely bizarre. As long as I'm enjoying my games I can't complain about sales numbers. I just think that Uncharted 2 deserves a lot more ;-)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DrForester said:
Reggie said Mario Would have a better November than Modern Warfare. While Mario has legs, and in the long run, could very likely outsell MW2, there's no way it was going to have a better launch month with all the hype and advertising that was part of MW2's launch.

Reggie said that NSMBWii would outsell one platform of MW2 through January, not "have a better November than MW2".

NeoUltima

LCfiner said:
um… pretty sure that NPD extrapolates hardware sales from all retailers based on data from a few.
Yeah, but WM would sell more ps3s than others due to people buying bundles there instead of other places. Thus lowering the number that gets extrapolated.

Obviously I was joking(hence the lol) as this would only have a minimal effect anyway, not enough to make up 100k.

JudgeN said:
Seems like 360's get pushed really hard by retailers during Christmas (for obvious reasons). They had the Walmart $100 gift card deal, and there is another $50 gift card deal on the Elite, it seem like the PS3 rarely gets these kind of deals.

All and All good numbers for all system but maybe its just me but AC2 numbers seem really low.

You have to consider too that MS banned a TON of 360s this month.

Hy_

Looks like the 360 ban wave was a succsess. Wonder if there will be a significant drop off next month.

Nintendo sells Nintendo hardware which sells Nintendo software. Large 3rd party publishers are more than happy with HD twins.

Slim effect could be over.

Dax01 said:
Not really. Just wait until Halo Reach. MW2 released on more consoles than Halo 3 did, and the next "big" Halo game is Reach.
You really think that Halo Reach will sell more than 4.2 mil in its first month? Halo Reach? Really?

Mrbob said:
Doubtful. CoD4 sold for months and months and months, even up to the release of MW2.

And? Look at Mario Kart Wii. Still in Top 10 year and a half later.

ChuBoi

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yeah Reggie is getting served on his MW2 bet. NSWMB Wii will not pass up the 360 version of MW2.

Oh I see he qualified that with either platform....he still might lose this bet though.

It'll def beat the PS3 MW2 easily. I wouldn't be surprised if NSMBW sells 800-900K in Dec, 500-600K in Jan. Shit if Mario Kart Wii did 300K after this long :lol

Road

Modern Warfare 2:

US: 6.07 million
UK: 2.36 million
---------------------
Total: 8.42 million

New Super Mario Bros. Wii:

US: 1.39 million
JP: 0.94 million
---------------------
Total: 2.33 million.

Stumpokapow said:
Thanks.

It looks like PS3 kicked ass and PS2 did too. If what I'm calculating is correct PS3 saw a 85+% jump over 11/08. PS2 sold just as well in 11/09 as it did in 11/08?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
EmCeeGramr said:
Again, what Reggie actually said:

OH MY GOD HE SAID MARIO WOULD OUTSELL THEM COMBINED BY NOVEMBER HE WAS OOOWWWWNNNEEEDDD

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Ardorx said:
Realistically, how could anyone expect the 360 not to outsell the PS3 (though I was hoping the PS3 would be the higher seller)? It's still cheaper and comes packed with two games by default.

Well as somebody that only owned a 360 until Black Friday, the lineup for exclusives on the system seemed pretty tame this fall. But they have obviously proved that being the place for third party game sales is a winning strategy. The gap in MW2 sales makes the difference in GTA4 sales seem nonexistent.

i havent seen alot of discussion just one person saying it was slightly below par and one saying it was good, but could those in the know about these kinds of sales tell me if l4D2 did well or not?

How could they not be happy with those sales? It probably had a less expensive development budget than anything they have done since Half-Life 2 came out.

Reading comprehension GAF.
He said throughout the entire holiday season NSMBW would outsell one version of MW2 - he didn't specify which one. And looking at the NSMB vs PS3 MW2 numbers for November, he's not lost his bet yet.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
jj984jj said:
There's no way NSMBW will make up for the lead MW2 has on the 360. lol Reggie

Watch him cop out and say worldwide sales are better than MW2 360. :lol

To be fair, he was drawn into a corner by the interviewer. He wanted to create excitement for his game, so he had to be optimistic upon the question.

Why For? said:
So you think NSMBWii will suddenly sell around 6 million copies while Modern Warfare sells none for the next month or so?

:lol

giant_frying_pan said:
****ing hell at MW 2.

Reggie am cry over lost bet! (December NPD isn't going to turn that around).

GO GO Left 4 Dead 2 :D

DrForester said:
Reggie said Mario Would have a better November than Modern Warfare. While Mario has legs, and in the long run, could very likely outsell MW2, there's no way it was going to have a better launch month with all the hype and advertising that was part of MW2's launch.

Come on people. LEARN HOW TO READ.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
SEGAmaniaco said:
PS3's still the best console of this gen
Lillster said:
Pretty much.

Everyone who owns a PS3 and has good taste, knows this.
2hqwcr8.gif

What the fuck are you people doing? :lol

New Super Mario Bros. is still guaranteed to outsell Modern Warfare in the long run. Everyone knows by now that Nintendo games have extremely long legs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mr Cola said:

Excellent. L4D1 was a slow burn that went on to incredible lifetime sales, L4D2 is selling faster and looks like it'll have around the same longevity. Absolutely no one would be disappointed with those L4D2 sales.

Kusagari said:
No, Reach's hype won't even come close to MW2's or Halo 3's.
Because you can certainly tell this a year out.

DevelopmentArrested said:
You really think that Halo Reach will sell more than 4.2 mil in its first month? Halo Reach? Really?
Why not? ODST, an expansion, did half of Halo 3's one-month release.

Dax01 said:
Um... It's Halo? Microsoft is going to market the hell out of Reach.

I would put large amounts of money on no chance in hell.

I don't have any historical data on this, but I would say that there is not likely any precedence for a franchised (i.e. not-new-to-the-generation) IP to sell more in it's second game on a console than it's first.

And Halo 3 sold 3.3 million it's first month NPD. Just saying......unlikely.....

Barrage

For the poster who asked what Super Mario Galaxy sold in December-1.40 Million.

So, for the record....

COD MW2 (First month)-4.20

Halo 3 (All Of 2007)-4.80

Meet the new boss.

schuelma said:
PS3 had some absolutely incredible bundles for Black Friday weekend.

Pretty weak excuse.

Yup. I heard repeatedly in Retail Musing threads that it was stomping the 360 because consumers saw those bundles as clearly the better value.

legend166

Looking at the Mario Galaxy numbers, I think Reggie is pretty safe in his bet.

Super Mario Galaxy sold 1.12 in November 07, and then INCREASED to 1.40 million in December 07.

Considering NSMB Wii is more of a broad title, it'll probably do another 1.8 million in December. That would mean MW2 PS3 would need to sell 1.4 million in December. I can't see it happening.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DrForester said:

I thought he called out the 360 specifically. If he said either platform, then I think there's a good change Mario will have more sales than the PS3 sku by Holiday's end.

Why would he say that? Kindofa silly thing to say, unless his job is "fanboy rep." Man I don't miss the days of each console having its own little captain that says stupid shit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
710K is still a good month for the PS3, it's not like they failed just because the 360 did better....but big ups to the 360 for staying strong. Don't doubt the 360 anymore.

I'm very happy to see AC2 sell so well, not that I didn't think it would, but it deserves every sale. <3 Over 6 million overall for MW2 is just insane, is that a record? I guess I can't complain though, I'm one of those 6 million buyers.

schuelma said:
OH MY GOD HE SAID MARIO WOULD OUTSELL THEM COMBINED BY NOVEMBER HE WAS OOOWWWWNNNEEEDDD

No he didn't. He was talking about total holiday sales. Maybe he was including sales through January but I'm not certain about that.

Sohter.Nura said:
MW2 will definetly chart next month. I'm sure that by the end of January the game will have sold 10m copies all together.
WHICH IS INSANE o_O
I knew the game was going to be big... but THIS big? Wow.

There is a good possibly the top 3 will be repeat next month, maybe in a different order though.

Most likely:
MW2 - 360
NSMB - Wii
MW2 - PS3

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Stumpokapow said:
Excellent. L4D1 was a slow burn that went on to incredible lifetime sales, L4D2 is selling faster and looks like it'll have around the same longevity. Absolutely no one would be disappointed with those L4D2 sales.
Thats what i wanted to hear :D many thanks kind sir

(I just want them to keep making more)

Evlar

Banned
mood said:
:lol This has been debunked in this thread already.
So... when do you expect the banned users to buy new consoles?

I would hope that people who managed to get banned from a console online service would see the error of their ways and choose to spend their money more wisely in the future, however prior experience warns me otherwise. There were undoubtedly some sales to people who were banned, though I doubt anyone here as any idea how many.

More important is whether these new console sales will equate to any new game sales... though considering the performance of MW2 there's at least one development house that isn't much concerned.

The reggie defense forces are sure out in force to make sure that nobody slights the man in the least. Make sure to destroy anyone who doubts his wisdom!

Top Bottom