• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

zoku88 said:
What's wrong with PS3 owners? Why aren't you guys buying games >_< (besides DMC4..)

I guess look at all Blu-Ray sales. The system is the front-runner of a new format and the cell processer.

Flakster99

sonycowbow, or those in power, any chance of growing the software list to say a top 30 or top 20, or top 5 per platform? With 6 viable, healthy platforms, a top 10 overall software list is but a minuscule tip of the iceberg as far as software sales are concerned.

Nice hardware numbers all around. About the software, holy shit @ CoD4, LO and GH III Wii edition.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tabris said:
PS3 sold over $120 million dollars worth of consoles.
Wii sold only $108 million dollars worth of consoles.

You're exactly what this thread needed.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
J-Rzez said:
So far, Ninty shouldn't get cocky. Crazy good numbers indeed, but the Wii has more of a questionable future this gen than the PS2 ever had in the long haul, it'll be interesting to see the following year or so.

How is the future of Wii in trouble? How is it more questionable?

It's the fastest selling console of all time and it's still out of stock 15 months after it launched, with no signs of slowing down.

neptunes

I wonder what sony thinks about PSP SW sales

I totally didn't forsee it being this bad 3 years ago.

and tabris, don't be pathetic

Kujo

sonycowboy said:
Of course, you're not aware of what lurks below the top 10 are you. Considering the userbase, it's not quite as one-sided as the 360 having 5 of the top 10 would lead you to believe.
Good point.

Oh and Wipeout Pulse :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tabris said:
PSP is outselling the NDS in Japan right now.

There's only so many people in Japan. The DS sales had to slow sometime. =P

beerbelly

Banned
J-Rzez said:
That's fine and dandy, but in all actually, Next-gen gaming is still outselling them. Sony was able to talk trash last gen by single handedly demolishing the market ratios. So far, Ninty shouldn't get cocky. Crazy good numbers indeed, but the Wii has more of a questionable future this gen than the PS2 ever had in the long haul, it'll be interesting to see the following year or so.

So, should Nintendo get cocky next year, when its sales are supposed to slow down?

Psychotext said:
Holy shit PS2! How?!?

Well, considering that you can either buy the white slim ps2 or guitar hero 3 for the 360 or PS3 for the same price, I'm thinking I'll get myself one too, and I think that's what's going through lots of people's minds. I mean, there are hundreds of awesome games for cheap, and it's only $100.

jett

D-Member
Tabris said:
PS3 sold over $120 million dollars worth of consoles.
Wii sold only $108 million dollars worth of consoles.

Difference is Nintendo is pocketing about 105 of those millions.

Opiate

Great numbers for the PS3; it more than doubled its total from February of last year. Wii and DS continue to outsell the competition by leaps and bounds, but its the PS3's increase that's most impressive to me.

For those who have looked historically at price cuts, it is NOT common for price cuts to produce a permanent and sustainable increase in sales through these means. Sales spike momentarily, then drop back down. That's what happened to the 360 in America, and the PS3 in Japan, and the GC/Xbox everywhere, whenever there was a price cut.

The consistant sales of the PS3 are surprising and impressive. I'm waiting a month or two more to say with complete confidence that yes, the PS3 has managed to create a higher sales level in America after the price cut.

Captain Smoker said:
6i7lz6.png

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15958/February-2008-NPD-Microsofts-Response/

"generation's ecosystem" is even more obnoxious than "playstation family"

gkryhewy

Opiate said:
The consistant sales of the PS3 are surprising and impressive. I'm waiting a month or two more to say with complete confidence that yes, the PS3 has managed to create a higher sales level in America after the price cut.

Sort of a string of temporary boosts, much like it had in Japan (which had people calling 30k the new weekly floor for awhile). Here, it's price drop --> xmas --> blu ray victoly --> 80 gig "going away --> ?? --> MGS4

I personally think 360 is going to own GTAIV pretty hard with a price drop and/or bundle, but we'll see.

smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

PLAYSTATION BEAT XBOX AGAIN!!!

EAT THAT SHIT, MICROSOFT! EAT THAT SHIT.

How does that shit taste, Microsoft? How does it taste? Get used to the taste, Microsoft. Get used to the taste.

THIS BACK TO BACK VICTORY WAS A LONG TIME COMING, AND YOU'LL BE EATING SHIT FOR A LONG TIME TO COME, SHIT EATERS.

:D :D :D

I'M SO JAMMING TO JORDIN SPARKS - ONE STEP AT A TIME RIGHT NOW.

Fuck, all Sony needs now is that big release in June. You know what I'm talking about, that legendary bundle of the forever.

I know, right? Capcom.

gamespot is that way >

Some observations:

PS2 is an absolute BEAST that refuses to die.

DS did exceptionally well.

Wii did a lot better than i predicted, given the apparent shortages, and will completely dominate next month.

PSP and PS3 both did quite solid.

360 disapppointing, but i expect it to rise around April.

Overall, incredible hardware sales this month. I am blown away.

On the software side,

COD4 is a monster that refuses to relinquish it's number 1 spot. But it will have to next month became of a little game called Brawl.

Good numbers for LO.

DMC4 360 a bit disappointing, but great numbers for PS3 DMC4 given the install base.

Guitar Hero 3 Wii continues to sell well. EA would REALLY be regretting the absence of Rock Band on the system.

Dragon Quest Swords sales are very LOL but really, was there any hype for it? Not really. It's a mediocre game that's full priced and should have come out ages ago. Mind you, I'm sure S-E still profited from the game, since it sold around 500K in Japan.

No More Heroes hitting 100K in the US is definitely worth celebrating. Hopefully it reaches 150-200K in it's lifetime, and performs similarly well in Europe.

Any numbers for Galaxy? I'm sad to see that one drop. :(

Pachinko

Okay observation the first-

microsoft - So only a couple days ago they mentioned passingly they were still supply constrained , likely because they got wind of the numbers before hand. Pre-emptive damage control. Here's the thing though , they still broke 250K for the month which is very good and above average for a non holiday month for the xbox yet the ps3 sold 25000 more units despite costing a minimum of 100 dollars more then the average 360 console. Don't get me wrong, I love my tree-sidee but am I to believe that if the supply where on store shelves they'd have sold 350 or 400,000 consoles ? I suppose we'll never know until the march or april NPD's come around.

Secondly, Lost Oddysee - It broke 200K , that's fantastic seeing as blue dragon had somewhat dismal sales but let's investigate a little more shall we? Actually it doesn't take much investigation, blue dragons promotion offered a terribly put togethor playable demo and a couple of xbox live videos as well as a meager print campaign. Lost oddysee must have had a 5-10 million dollar marketing budget with lavishly produced television ads aired during shows that nerds watch as well as a few print ads but ... no demo.

I think we can learn from this case that you need TV ads to break 200K sales so long as the game is atleast semi decent. Even dragonquest 8 had a TV add and lo and behold also sold over 200K.

Nintendo holy shitballs on a crotch , they really are trouncing the competition. 1.1 million consoles sold if you add DS to Wii and I imagine there's a healthy slice of profit to be had there to boot. I think it's safe to say the bubble ain't bursting anytime soon. Perhaps in 2009.

Sony seems to have hit a pricepoint it's fanbase is willing to jump on since releasing the 400 dollar model, winning the format war also likely helped it's cause a bit. I wouldn't be suprised, if like january , many new ps3 owners grabbed it to have a bluray player. Either way more sales for sony means they are back in the game , more systems = more games sold = more games made. Here's hoping they can pull it togethor this year consistently.

Opiate

gkrykewy said:
Sort of a string of temporary boosts, much like it had in Japan (which had people calling 30k the new weekly floor for awhile). Here, it's price drop --> xmas --> blu ray victoly --> 80 gig "going away --> ?? --> MGS4

I personally think 360 is going to own GTAIV pretty hard with a price drop and/or bundle, but we'll see.

Absolutely, that's possible -- that's why I'm waiting another month or two to say anything with certainty.

And while I do agree that there have been a series of small boosts... at some point, that series of small boosts becomes a consistent trend. How long does it take for "small boosts" to be consider one larger, longer one? Because it will have been nearly 9 months straight of sustained "small boosts" by the time MGS4 comes out.

I think it's possible we may see a notable drop next month, and/or a resounding defeat in the gain-GTA-marketshare fiesta that will be April. I'll wait and see.

Lightning

Banned
17 pages.... and mostly nonsense that doesn't interest me.

Anyone have a link to the Sony press release for this months NPD?

voltron

duk said:
this is allowable?
(neutral) smokeychan
Banned
(Today, 09:23 AM)
Reply | Quote

Apparently not.

Some crazy numbers this month. Good work to Sony re: the PS2. That thing just keeps on keeping on. The crazy thing is the Xbox just doesnt exist anymore. The more the PS2 dominates the more it makes the original Xbox strategy seem inferior.

Well Nintendo in all honesty was significantly supply constrained last month. They near doubled Jan on Wii and more than doubled DS. I believe MS when they say there were constrained in Jan and most of Feb.

I think though that the PS3 hit a price point that isn't terrifying for people. March will have 360 on top by about 30k but I don't expect to see 2:1 ratios like in 2007 unless MS pulls a price cut and even then it won't happen. I'd wager that the Blu-Ray win for PS3 and any boost it got from that, if any, is probably over by now.

scitek

So, for Sony fanboys, the PS3 coming in fourth overall is a "victory" so long as it beats the 360? What the fuck kind of logic is that?

voltron

scitek said:
So, for Sony fanboys, the PS3 coming in fourth overall is a "victory" so long as it beats the 360? What the fuck kind of logic is that?

It amuses me that you act surprised at this. The reverse would also be true for 360.

scitek said:

It isn't really that complicated.

What the fuck kind of logic is it to believe that the PS3 is in direct competition with the PS2 and DS?

Tabris

This really is an improvement for the PS3 and shows that eventually the PS3 will start outselling the Wii on total numbers once the pre-Brawl and post-Brawl craze dies down.

Playstation family sold 850000ish consoles and handhelds. I would consider that quite a success for Sony.

Redd

scitek said:

Well many of them think first place is already a lock so the more interesting battle is the battle for second(1st place hd console).

Narcosis

Stumpokapow said:
Jordin Sparks? Fuck that. You're a console warrior, you need WAR MUSIC! Here, I wrote this one for you.

A Perfect Console - Counting Red Rings Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The NPD

Don't fret precious Sony's here.
Step away from the window.
Go back to sleep

Lay your head down child
I won't let Bill Gates come

Counting red rings like sheep
to the rhythm of the NPD

Pay no mind to the Wii sales!
Pay no mind to the Wii sales!

Head down, go to sleep
to the rhythm of the NPD

Pay no mind to what other fanboys say
They don't care about you, like I do
Safe from Live, and Waggle, and Halo
and other poison devils
See, they don't give a fuck about you, like I do

Just stay with me, safe and un-ignorant
Go back to sleep
Go back to sleep

Lay your head down child
I won't let Bill Gates come
Count the Red Rings like sheep
to the rhythm of the NPD

Pay no mind to the Wii sales
Pay no mind to the Wii sales

I'll be the one to protect you from
other consoles and all their software

A Wii to play and the voice of casuals

Other consoles and your mini-games son
They're one in the same
I must isolate you
Isolate and save you from yourself

Swayin' to the rhythm of the new Sony order and count Red Rings like sheep
to the rhythm of the NPD

The Nin-tards are comin'
The Nin-tards are comin'

It's totally a bizarre coincidence, but I had the real version of that song playing in my car on the way to work this morning

o_O

Raw64life

Everything not in the OP so far from various sources...

------------

February 2008:

WII NO MORE HEROES - ~35K
WII DRAGON QUEST SWORDS - ~15K

NDS PROFESSOR LAYTON MYST VILLAGE - ~90K
NDS ADVANCE WARS DAYS OF RUIN - ~50K
360 FRONTLINES FUEL OF WAR - ~100K

PSP WIPEOUT PULSE - ~10K

------------

Rough LTDs:

WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE - ~4.7 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.72 million
WII NO MORE HEROES - ~100K

NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES - ~340K
NDS ADVANCE WARS DAYS OF RUIN - ~130K

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE - ~3.60 million
360 ROCK BAND - ~1.12 million

------------

Hardware LTD:

PS2: ~41.7 million
GBA: ~36.0 million
NDS: ~18.4 million
XBX: ~14.5 million
GCN: ~11.8 million
PSP: ~11.0 million
360: ~9.6 million
Wii: ~8.1 million
PS3: ~3.8 million

------------

WII PLAY W/REMOTE - 1 year+ and going strong:

February - 371K
March - 273K
April - 249K
May - 227K
June - 293K
July - 278K
August - 257K
September - 282K
October - 240K
November - 564K
December - 1.1 million
January - 298K
February - 290K

duk

Banned
was this a 4 or 5 week month?

Fantastic h/w numbers, esp for Wii/DS/PS3 in a normal slow month.

360 over 250k with most of the month being supply constrained is very good as well.

PSP continues to sell very well.

Great news for videogamers. :D

s/w = wow @ 360, what a beast.

Top Bottom