• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ariexv said:
Did you seriously just take the number of Ps3s sold and times it by 400 and then do the same thing for Wii and even try to pretend that's an accurate representation of anything? The Ps3 costs almost twice as much, and Nintendo probly makes 4x the profit per console sold.

He does have a good point if you are looking at it from a money stand point. When you see the % increase year over year, keep in mind that the PS3 is helping that % increase just as much as the Wii.

Guy Legend said:
From Next-Gen Biz's article on NPD

That's kind of unfair though. That's like me predicting Lost needs to air seven more episodes they want to have any chance of completing their season.

Everyone knows it's happening.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
neptunes said:
Hate to re-tread old threads but the way psp Software has been selling for the uhh....past couple of MONTHS. things are looking pretty grim for Crisis Core

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209436&highlight=crisis+core

I Said

others said

Perhaps. We'll see how it does. I know there's been a lot of interest in it lately as far as reservations and what not go at the store I work at. I hope it does well, pirates be damned.

neptunes said:
Hate to re-tread old threads but the way psp Software has been selling for the uhh....past couple of MONTHS. things are looking pretty grim for Crisis Core

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209436&highlight=crisis+core

I Said

others said
Well, I think we can reasonably expect about 200k for it on the March NPD. It comes out on the 25th so it only gets a week, but FF fans are usually pretty retarded about getting the game quick and owning the actual package.

God of War should be significantly larger. 350k or higher I think.

GottiDC said:
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,
i remeber when they said blu ray would be the down fall of ps3, and blu ray would fail,,,,,,,the media FAILED.

I remeber when they said ps3 would never outsell the 360, THE MEDIA FAILED
I remember when they said the ps3 would never outsell the wii in japan, THE MEDIA FAILED

I remember when they said hddvd was the superio farmat, and would kill blu ray........they FAILED AGAIN. RIP HDDVD 2006-2008
I remember when they said no ps3 game would ever sell on par wit the same 360 version game...THE MEDIA FAILED.

I remember when they said the ps3 would not help blu ray, nor would blu ray help the ps3....THE MEDIA FAILED.

more failers coming.....mgs4 will not help ps3, killzone will flop, ect.

lets see how mush more 360 fans and the "media will fail again, as the year goes on. :lol:lol

banned-1.gif

HokieJoe

Dupy said:
Just FYI they're not doing anything to SDTV, just making the switch from analog to digital signals. Meaning you won't be able to get TV through "rabbit ears" anymore.

Anyway thank god the industry is starting to space out their big releases throughout the year. Makes gaming and NPD threads way more interesting all year round:)

The point is, people haven't bought enough HDTV's. If more people had HDTV's, less content will be SD even after the transition to all digital because HD content uptake would be higher.

Pretty impressive numbers all around - especially given the fact at how the economy seems to be teetering on the brink. Video Games are one of the big things people would seem most likely to cut back on.

The PS3 numbers are great. Its amazing how much its turned the corner. I was a doubter, but I think Blu-Ray may be having a greater impact than I thought.

Even thought the PS3 sold better, I bet MS is pretty happy with these numbers. They're making money now and keeping the price where its at allows them to make more. Price drop before GTA IV? Eh...I'm not convinced.

duffey

Raw64life said:
Everything not in the OP so far from various sources...

------------

PSP WIPEOUT PULSE - ~10K

------------
I'm really sad about this. Such a fantastic Wipeout game being completely overlooked!

HokieJoe

Wollan said:
That happened last year I believe.
Anyways..

PS3 just needs to keep doing those numbers now. Two great months in a row now. Seems BD has a impact.

BD + price I think. The latent demand for PS3 is higher than for the 360 IMO. The counterpoint to that is a looming 360 price drop. That could steal sales away from the PS3 and delay it's momentum. The question is, will MS think quarterly (a.k.a stupid) or long term.

HokieJoe

Pachinko said:
Okay observation the first-

microsoft - So only a couple days ago they mentioned passingly they were still supply constrained , likely because they got wind of the numbers before hand. Pre-emptive damage control. Here's the thing though , they still broke 250K for the month which is very good and above average for a non holiday month for the xbox yet the ps3 sold 25000 more units despite costing a minimum of 100 dollars more then the average 360 console. Don't get me wrong, I love my tree-sidee but am I to believe that if the supply where on store shelves they'd have sold 350 or 400,000 consoles ? I suppose we'll never know until the march or april NPD's come around.

Translation: MS needs to cut the price here in the states. And not some piddly $50 shit. They have to acknowledge (through price) that some number X people will now buy the PS3 because of Bluray.

HokieJoe said:
Translation: MS needs to cut the price here in the states. And not some piddly $50 shit. They have to acknowledge (through price) that some number X people will now buy the PS3 because of Bluray.

What was the price drop percentage in Europe?

wowfactor

Banned
MS didn't sell that many software anyway.
Xbox 360 sold $184 million in games, with PS3 selling $97 million and Wii $130 million.

They sold less than twice the amount of software with almost three times the install based hardware.
PS3 software sales are very good indeed.

Redd

grandjedi6 said:
I'm floored by the fact that No More Heroes is selling decent

Think how good it could have done with some advertising. Looks like just the game for Wii users looking for a little violence.

quest

Not Banned from OT
HokieJoe said:

It is going to be a piddly 50 dollars on the elite and pro the arcade will get a 80 dollar cut to get it to 199 for the commercials. They are not going to lower the price a ton unless they are getting their asses kicked. 25k units with a 6 million lead is not getting your ass kicked. Sony is locked into 399/499 until at least july. MS is looking to make money this time around not win a war. Either way their market share will go up this gen and sony's down so achievement unlocked.

beerbelly

Banned
wowfactor said:

They sold less than twice the amount of software with almost three times the install based hardware.

How many of those 360's do you think were replacements as opposed to unique buyers?

RBH

wowfactor said:

spinzonebabycopy.jpg

HokieJoe

siamesedreamer said:
What was the price drop percentage in Europe?

Not sure, but they can't be thinking solely in terms of exchange rate when they decide how much to cut the price. I think somewhere between $50-75 is needed across all SKU's.

HokieJoe

quest said:
It is going to be a piddly 50 dollars on the elite and pro the arcade will get a 80 dollar cut to get it to 199 for the commercials. They are not going to lower the price a ton unless they are getting their asses kicked. 25k units with a 6 million lead is not getting your ass kicked. Sony is locked into 399/499 until at least july. MS is looking to make money this time around not win a war. Either way their market share will go up this gen and sony's down so achievement unlocked.

I know you're right, and I understand their desire to make money. They've publicly stated it numerous times. OTOH, my opinion is demand for the PS3 is naturally higher because of Sony's position in the market. When you add in the Bluray factor and it's lower price, MS has no choice but to cut the price and cut it soon. When the PS3 hits the magic price point, all of those PS2 owners will naturally gravitate towards a PS3. Even though MS launched sooner, and built up a nice lead they need to be proactive here because Sony has proven very aggressive with their pricing.

J-Rzez

ZealousD said:
How is the future of Wii in trouble? How is it more questionable?

It's the fastest selling console of all time and it's still out of stock 15 months after it launched, with no signs of slowing down.

Simple. This is the largest difference in horsepower and overall capabilities between a "gen" of consoles ever it seems. It can't do HD resolutions even at this time, with the big push being HDTV's, and their adoption rates. The Wii may never have a game as technically impressive as either other machines launch titles even, what's going to happen when people really start pushing the PS3 and 360's hardware to their respective limits?

It's just very questionable, and how is it going to turn out in the future? What's it going to be like in a year or so? Who knows. Very interesting to see how it pans out.

quest

Not Banned from OT
HokieJoe said:
I know you're right, and I understand their desire to make money. They've publicly stated it numerous times. OTOH, my opinion is demand for the PS3 is naturally higher because of Sony's position in the market. When you add in the Bluray factor and it's lower price, MS has no choice but to cut the price and cut it soon. When the PS3 hits the magic price point, all of those PS2 owners will naturally gravitate towards a PS3. Even though MS launched sooner, and built up a nice lead they need to be proactive here because Sony has proven very aggressive with their pricing.

Those PS2 owners have been buying Wiis not HD consoles. I would love to see MS get more agressive but we know they won't. MS is very lucky right now the new found success of the PS3 has not been at their expense as 360 sales are up from last year. The good news is HD console sales are way up thanks to the PS3. I do think they will be forced to cut another 50 this fall when sony drops the bomb on them with a stellar holiday line up. Like a month before gears 2 hits.

Salazar

Linkzg said:
This sales stuff is confusing, I just want to say that Wipeout Pulse deserves better. Take a break from pata pata chaka whatever and buy it.

To clear my current backlog, I will need to play more games than I have every played before, and perhaps experiment with simultaneous gaming. Much as I'd like to help...

quest

Not Banned from OT
J-Rzez said:
Simple. This is the largest difference in horsepower and overall capabilities between a "gen" of consoles ever it seems. It can't do HD resolutions even at this time, with the big push being HDTV's, and their adoption rates. The Wii may never have a game as technically impressive as either other machines launch titles even, what's going to happen when people really start pushing the PS3 and 360's hardware to their respective limits?

It's just very questionable, and how is it going to turn out in the future? What's it going to be like in a year or so? Who knows. Very interesting to see how it pans out.

HD adoption is nice but will not be enough to ever affect the Wii. It will be a long time before the kids play room or bedrooms have HD TVs. Nintendo played it out brilliantly to be honest. By the time people have multiple HD tvs the Wii2 will be hitting stores. That and the general public does not really care about power. These are the same people who hook up SD cable to the new 60 inch 1080P TV and think it looks great.

Ariexv

J-Rzez said:

The thing is the Wiis main Software sales are nintendo games.... and Nintendo games look absolutely fine on the Wii, the Wii doesn't rely on realistic looking games like Gran tourismo, or Uncharted. I can say right now that more people have come in and said "Wow look how good Mario/Link/samus look, then they did with say Gears of War.

Epiphyte

J-Rzez said:

The same thing that happened when Gears went up against Wii Sports

Nothing

soldat7

BenjaminBirdie said:
The really sad part is that it probably isn't.

If Sony fails to find a solution to the PSP piracy problem then I fear for the future of the PSP. It's really bad. I can't wait to see the sales numbers on God of War CoO next month...

BobM said:
THe NPDs make me happy because of that fact. There are exponentially more gamers now, then 10 years ago. That means i can now talk to friends and even co-workers about my hobby without being looked at as strange. I can walk into any major retailer of electronics and pick up the latest game on MULTIPLE awesome systems.

I could care less about who wins the "console war" why does there have to be a war? It seems to me that each major player is sucessful in thier own rights and in different ways.

VIDEO GAMES FOR THE WIN!!!!
Quality post Junior. *slow clap*

Top Bottom