• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

legend166

J-Rzez said:
Simple. This is the largest difference in horsepower and overall capabilities between a "gen" of consoles ever it seems. It can't do HD resolutions even at this time, with the big push being HDTV's, and their adoption rates. The Wii may never have a game as technically impressive as either other machines launch titles even, what's going to happen when people really start pushing the PS3 and 360's hardware to their respective limits?

It's just very questionable, and how is it going to turn out in the future? What's it going to be like in a year or so? Who knows. Very interesting to see how it pans out.

how many times have we had this discussion?

you're never going to get a bigger gap than Gears of War VS Wii Sports. People just don't care.

J-Rzez said:
Simple. This is the largest difference in horsepower and overall capabilities between a "gen" of consoles ever it seems. It can't do HD resolutions even at this time, with the big push being HDTV's, and their adoption rates. The Wii may never have a game as technically impressive as either other machines launch titles even, what's going to happen when people really start pushing the PS3 and 360's hardware to their respective limits?

It's just very questionable, and how is it going to turn out in the future? What's it going to be like in a year or so? Who knows. Very interesting to see how it pans out.
It will minimally, if ever at all, impact the Wii.

One could say that Wii Sports already took on Gears of War, Halo 3 and COD4 and the title still remains unscathed.

Wii
obama.jpg

PS3
hillary.jpg

spitzer.jpg

Thoughts:

1) PS2 is the king of all generations. Only the 2600 and the NES dominated the competition this way and held up for so long. There will be no PS2 this gen. Not even the Wii.
2) Wii rules the seventh generation of gaming. Nothing will touch it for sales. Nothing.
3) 360 has really fucked up, and more by pricing than by shortage. Still, Sony can't realistically catch up in North America until the sixth or seventh holiday season of the 360, but they could have done better. The ultimate underachiever.

Sharp

soldat7 said:
If Sony fails to find a solution to the PSP piracy problem then I fear for the future of the PSP. It's really bad. I can't wait to see the sales numbers on God of War CoO next month...
I'm sure God of War will sell pretty well.

Thoughts:

1) PS2 is the king of all generations. Only the 2600 and the NES dominated the competition this way and held up for so long. There will be no PS2 this gen. Not even the Wii.
2) Wii rules the seventh generation of gaming. Nothing will touch it for sales. Nothing.
3) 360 has really fucked up, and more by pricing than by shortage. Still, Sony can't realistically catch up in North America until the sixth or seventh holiday season of the 360, but they could have done better. The ultimate underachiever.[/QUOTE]
The Wii is selling better than the PS2 at the same points of thier lifetime. Just saying.

titiklabingapat said:
The Wii is selling better than the PS2 at the same points of thier lifetime. Just saying.

Wii isn't going to have the longevity of the PS2. But given its other accomplishments, it is moot.

Wow...everyone was off for the Wii. Even if 360 sales don't pick up, I think they will do very well in the #3 spot since the userbase has a voracious gaming appetite.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i thought the 360 would sell WAY more devil may cry 4s than the ps3 did, considering its userbase.

that's the most surprising number, other than PS3 selling more than PSP and 360.

Innotech

Banned
ccbfan said:
Great Hardware for Nintendo
Great software for MS
And a little in between for both for Sony.

Also LO did wonderfully. I mean how many JRPGs sold this much in NA in its first month thats not named Final Fantasy. Especially one a so called "bald marine FPS" machine.

Don't know people get so ansy about Wii Play. Think of it as making up for not counting Wii Sports.

I gotta say this gen is so weird. Wii is obviously going to win hardware but its just so strange that while Wii wows in hardware, the 360 wows in software. Usually its one system wowing both.

Usually people want to own the best selling system since it tends to receive the most high profile games. IMO thats the only reason to even care about hardware sales. Thats why Wii hardware sales don't interest me at all since its doesn't seem to be attracting any major 3rd party announcements. Its seems to be all bullcrap shovel ware. I'm more interested in software sales for the system especially 3rd party ones. GH3 is a good sign though. Too bad DQS bombed so bad.

DQS didnt bomb. It did in the US apparently, but in its traditional market Japan it has sold close to 500k. for a spinoff, it made money for Squenix.

GottiDC

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Wii

Thoughts:

3) 360 has really fucked up, and more by pricing than by shortage. Still, Sony can't realistically catch up in North America until the sixth or seventh holiday season of the 360, but they could have done better. The ultimate underachiever.

I totaly agree. there will be no other system like the ps2 ever. I mean the ps2 didnt have to use its last gen tech to be cheap. it was not some ps1 wit a new controller. it brought dvd, into the field of gaming, and the ps2 was a multimedia machine to its fullest, with the best games, and could play dvds too.
the wii on the other hand may be a big succces to nintendo, and to early joiners of playing video games, but i really dont see the wee as anything but a system 3rd parties will make shovelware for. I mean even now wit wii leading in just sells it still has no 3rd party support. the game cube seemed to have better 3rd party games than the wii does.
the wii is clearly for the begginers and for people who are just getting into gaming to have a lil mini part game fun.

the real compatition here is the ps3 vs the 360, and i think everyone in the back of there minds knows this.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
Wow...everyone was off for the Wii. Even if 360 sales don't pick up, I think they will do very well in the #3 spot since the userbase has a voracious gaming appetite.

wat.

legend166

GottiDC said:
I totaly agree. there will be no other system like the ps2 ever. I mean the ps2 didnt have to use its last gen tech to be cheap. it was not some ps1 wit a new controller. it brought dvd, into the field of gaming, and the ps2 was a multimedia machine to its fullest, with the best games, and could play dvds too.
the wii on the other hand may be a big succces to nintendo, and to early joiners of playing video games, but i really dont see the wee as anything but a system 3rd parties will make shovelware for. I mean even now wit wii leading in just sells it still has no 3rd party support. the game cube seemed to have better 3rd party games than the wii does.
the wii is clearly for the begginers and for people who are just getting into gaming to have a lil mini part game fun.

the real compatition here is the ps3 vs the 360, and i think everyone in the back of there minds knows this.

great post

GottiDC said:

You've apparently mastered the art of making your posts so incoherent that no one bothers to refute your points because they don't want to deal with deciphering what babble you've just spouted first.

Genius, I say. Genius.

d+pad

GottiDC said:

yeah, keep telling yourself that (rolls eyes).

Evlar

Banned
I'm late to this.

I didn't think it would happen but I was wrong. Blu-Ray will eventually propel PS3 to victory over 360. It won't accomplish this alone, of course: matching 360's biggest exclusives with equivalent-caliber PS3 exclusives helps, a better reputation for quality helps, holding Europe helps. When we look back on this in five years though we'll note that the switch in hardware sales began when HD-DVD died.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Pureauthor said:
You've apparently mastered the art of making your posts so incoherent that no one bothers to refute your points because they don't want to deal with deciphering what babble you've just spouted first.

Genius, I say. Genius.

:lol

I thought his first post in this thread was brilliant, no?

Vyer

Out of curiosity, why are the hardware numbers never put in order in the OP? It's a minor thing, but I like having a little list.

GottiDC said:

Just when i thought I had seen it all...

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Jamesfrom818 said:
Assuming this trend continues. Rising PS3 sales and stagnant 360 sales.

360 sales won't stay stagnant for to long man now the thing is will the PS3 have rising sales as well I say yes but will they be 360 good I don't know.

jibblypop

Banned
GottiDC said:

I can't believe the number of spelling mistakes in this. It's too much to take.

Anyways I'm glad you think the real "compatition" is between those two but I'm positive that Sony and Microsoft take the Wii very seriously.

Salazar

GottiDC said:
the wii is clearly for the begginers and for people who are just getting into gaming to have a lil mini part game fun. the real compatition here is the ps3 vs the 360, and i think everyone in the back of there minds knows this.

In much the same way as you is just dabbling wit language and knows in your soul that you dont belongs.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'm just curious, but at what point do you expect PS3 to pass 360 in LTD sales in North America?

Never really thought about it. I'm not too into thinking about Sales-Age. I just enjoy reading GAF's reactions.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Oh how this have been a glorious day for me. First we get Npd numbers then the mass hysteria and crazy posts here entertaining all the way. Then I finally get new Hajime No Ippo Chapters today double chapter to boot after no chapters for like a month! To top it off my mother made Sopes something that happens 1 every couple of months because they are that good. Awesome awesome day.

Mar

GottiDC said:

I weep for humanity.

Chumly

GottiDC said:

O
M
G

Your still here? Your December NPD meltdown was epic

Shamrock

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Maybe if you subtract that 1 year head start it would look so "crazy".

Yes, but your talking about 2 vs 1. MS is making more money at retail dollars than both Sony and Nintendo combined on next gen consoles, games, accessories. Yes the 360 had a year head start, but again they are still beating both companies combined.

BakedPigeon said:
February NPD

PlayStation 2 351.8K
PlayStation 3 280.8K
PlayStation Portable 243.1K
Xbox 360 254.6K
Nintendo DS 587.6K
Wii 432K

My Predictions

[360] 220k
[NDS] 300K
[PS2] 230k
[PS3] 200K
[PSP] 185K
[WII] 285K

My predictions were so far off, what the hell was I smoking.

LOL @ PS2 outselling PS3.....still. I think its great for Sony, but why aren't the playstation purchasers hopping on the newer tech?
I know I know, price and game library blah blah blah

Mar

GottiDC said:
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,
i remeber when they said blu ray would be the down fall of ps3, and blu ray would fail,,,,,,,the media FAILED.

I remeber when they said ps3 would never outsell the 360, THE MEDIA FAILED
I remember when they said the ps3 would never outsell the wii in japan, THE MEDIA FAILED

I remember when they said hddvd was the superio farmat, and would kill blu ray........they FAILED AGAIN. RIP HDDVD 2006-2008
I remember when they said no ps3 game would ever sell on par wit the same 360 version game...THE MEDIA FAILED.

I remember when they said the ps3 would not help blu ray, nor would blu ray help the ps3....THE MEDIA FAILED.

more failers coming.....mgs4 will not help ps3, killzone will flop, ect.

lets see how mush more 360 fans and the "media will fail again, as the year goes on. :lol:lol

eyes.gif

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Huh?

Vinnk

GottiDC said:

Does it really take that much more time to type the 'h' key after "wit"? If it is difficult for you, feel free to copy and paste these:

h h h h h h

and in case you need a big one: H

As for the rest of your post, well ... GOOD LUCK!

WinFonda

Elbrain said:
360 sales won't stay stagnant for to long man now the thing is will the PS3 have rising sales as well I say yes but will they be 360 good I don't know.
PS3's sales have been '360 good.' They've been better actually, thats why they're currently outselling them. And to address something else: I don't know what all this business is about PS3 being the underdog and it's somehow absurd to suggest Xbox 360 ends up in 3rd for total hardware sales. PS3 is still the one to beat for Microsoft - it's never been the other way around. And to keep expectations real; Microsoft never went into this generation seriously expecting to beat Sony and the PS3. And they certainly didn't expect the Wii to come in as it did and throw everyone off.

Microsoft wanted to continue to carve out their space, and thats what they've done. Sony wanted to launch the blu-ray format successfully, and thats what they've done. Nintendo wanted another runaway DS-style casual hit, and thats what they've done. While I'm sure Sony would have liked to maintain their market share from the previous generation, we all know that to be an impossibility, the cards are stacked against them on that point. But they'll emerge prominent and profitable with the PS3, for sure.

So yes, I'll say it. PS3 will eventually surpass the 360 - the only thing that maybe would have made a difference and locked PS3 to 3rd place is if the format war dragged on for too long and Blu-Ray failed to emerge victorious, or another similar catastrophic event. Even if at some point the 360 gets a Blu-Ray add-on, they'll never be able to match Sony price and feature wise pound for pound. That doesn't make the 360 a failure, and it doesn't make the PS3 a resounding success either. Just enjoy the damn games.

Ydahs

Wow at Wii/DS/PS2! PS3 comeback?!

GottiDC said:

Hey, it's you again!

Pachael

GottiDC said:

Ah, the times when it was PS2 v DC. How the Sega fans wallow in their mud now, wishing for a comeback in any shape or scam form.

Top Bottom