• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
so both nintendo and sony did around 900K in hardware. excellent.

Tabris said:
This really is an improvement for the PS3 and shows that eventually the PS3 will start outselling the Wii on total numbers once the pre-Brawl and post-Brawl craze dies down.

Playstation family sold 850000ish consoles and handhelds. I would consider that quite a success for Sony.
Nintendo family sold 1019600 consoles and handhelds for an average of 509800 units per family member. The Playstation family sold an average of 283333ish units per family member.
:D

Narag

Tabris said:
This really is an improvement for the PS3 and shows that eventually the PS3 will start outselling the Wii on total numbers once the pre-Brawl and post-Brawl craze dies down..

Prebrawl craze defined as Wii launch until Brawl launch.

Raw64life said:
WII PLAY W/REMOTE - 1 year+ and going strong:

February - 371K
March - 273K
April - 249K
May - 227K
June - 293K
July - 278K
August - 257K
September - 282K
October - 240K
November - 564K
December - 1.1 million
January - 298K
February - 290K

Note to Microsoft: Pack-in Geometry Wars with your controllers. It actually deserves to be on NPD lists.

Raw64life said:
Everything not in the OP so far from various sources...

------------

February 2008:

WII NO MORE HEROES - ~35K
WII DRAGON QUEST SWORDS - ~15K

NDS PROFESSOR LAYTON MYST VILLAGE - ~90K
NDS ADVANCE WARS DAYS OF RUIN - ~50K
360 FRONTLINES FUEL OF WAR - ~100K

PSP WIPEOUT PULSE - ~10K

------------

Rough LTDs:

WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE - ~4.7 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.72 million
WII NO MORE HEROES - ~100K

NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES - ~340K
NDS ADVANCE WARS DAYS OF RUIN - ~130K

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE - ~3.60 million
360 ROCK BAND - ~1.12 million

------------

Hardware LTD:

PS2: ~41.7 million
GBA: ~36.0 million
NDS: ~18.4 million
XBX: ~14.5 million
GCN: ~11.8 million
PSP: ~11.0 million
360: ~9.6 million
Wii: ~8.1 million
PS3: ~3.8 million

------------

WII PLAY W/REMOTE - 1 year+ and going strong:

February - 371K
March - 273K
April - 249K
May - 227K
June - 293K
July - 278K
August - 257K
September - 282K
October - 240K
November - 564K
December - 1.1 million
January - 298K
February - 290K

No More Heroes sold 37K, for an LTD of 102K.

Just being more specific. :p

Stealth

Wow. When PS2 hits $99 the world is going to break. And DMC4 is almost even across the systems... given the install bases that's a huge success for Sony. And CoD4 won't die! Overall unbelievable. Hot damn.

Opiate

TheIroning said:
It isn't really that complicated.

What the fuck kind of logic is it to believe that the PS3 is in direct competition with the PS2 and DS?

That shouldn't be difficult to understand, actually.

There are a finite number of developers in the world. Those developers have a finite number of personel and financial resources.

Any resources spent on DS, Wii or PS2 are resources not spent on the PS3 or 360.

duk

Banned
$99 PS2 will be insane :lol

$99 DS Lite will be insane :lol

$149 Wii will be insane :lol

$199 360 Prem will be insane :lol

$249 PS3 will be insane :lol

Too much to play *faints

diddlyD

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
And 10k sales for the best PSP release in February is a sign of things that are.

yeah thats probably the most depressing thing about this npd. i wonder how bad god of war and final fantasy are gonna be hit this month.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
It is wonderful to see a healthy gaming industry. System wars aside, it is great to see the growth and '08 is just getting started.

diddlyD said:
yeah thats probably the most depressing thing about this npd. i wonder how bad god of war and final fantasy are gonna be hit this month.
I have faith those two are going to do well, probably both will break into the top 10, which would be stellar.

I don't think that speaks so much for the PSP's health as it does to the strength of those two game brands, however.

Grecco

diddlyD said:

I think GOW will do very well.

FF CC on the other hand.

acabado

Banned
Stealth said:
Wow. When PS2 hits $99 the world is going to break. And DMC4 is almost even across the systems... given the install bases that's a huge success for Sony. And CoD4 won't die! Overall unbelievable. Hot damn.

I'm also really impressed by PS2 numbers.That's why I think it will take a while for a price drop.

Guy Legend

Wow, 2 months in a row for PS3 > XB360, shortage excuses or not. How quickly things have changed where PS3 has eclipsed XB360 in all territories for sales this year. It's going to be an interesting March....

Ariexv

Tabris said:
This really is an improvement for the PS3 and shows that eventually the PS3 will start outselling the Wii on total numbers once the pre-Brawl and post-Brawl craze dies down.

Playstation family sold 850000ish consoles and handhelds. I would consider that quite a success for Sony.
Umm so from Wii release -> Brawl release = Pre-Brawl craze? It just makes you look idiotic to still doubt the Selling power of the Wii.

Tabris

FFVII: CC is going to be a great success. There are some people that bought a PSP specifically for that game (including me when it was announced when the PSP was coming out). Final Fantasy main series games sell a minimum of a million in the US, so there's no doubt that FFVII: CC will do at least that.

Tabris said:

Once pre and post Mario Kart and once pre and post Wii Fit right?

DuckRacer

duk said:
$99 PS2 will be insane :lol

$99 DS Lite will be insane :lol

$149 Wii will be insane :lol

$199 360 Prem will be insane :lol

$249 PS3 will be insane :lol

Too much to play *faints
Same goes for the eventual $100/$150 PSP.

It really makes you wonder how long everything will last. The 360 has been around for over two years and has only cut $50. PS3 is at $400. Wii has always been at $250 and will probably be sold out all this year, and probably all next year if they drop the Wii Sports 2 bomb. And there's a DS that hasn't hit $99 that just sold 600,000 units in February.

It really makes you wonder.

scitek

TheIroning said:
It isn't really that complicated.

What the fuck kind of logic is it to believe that the PS3 is in direct competition with the PS2 and DS?

Because it has the names "PlayStation" and "Sony" on it and sits on the same store shelves and in the same glass cases as the PS2 and DS. If you think the people that bought a PS2 last month, or even a DS, are going to turn right around this month, or in the next few months, and buy a PS3, alright.

Ariexv

Tabris said:
PS3 sold over $120 million dollars worth of consoles.
Wii sold only $108 million dollars worth of consoles.
Did you seriously just take the number of Ps3s sold and times it by 400 and then do the same thing for Wii and even try to pretend that's an accurate representation of anything? The Ps3 costs almost twice as much, and Nintendo probly makes 4x the profit per console sold.

Holy crap . . . my software numbers were all way too low.

360 still rules the s/w with 5 games in the top 10.

Way to go Turok! I AM TUROK!

LOTR2.jpg

PlayStation 2 351.8K

LOTR6.jpg

PlayStation 3 280.8K

LOTR4.jpg

Xbox 360 254.6K

LOTR1.jpg

Wii 432K

BobM

sonycowboy said:
The hardware is steller as well. Units were up 19% to over 2.1M systems combined (and that's compared to last year which was up 60% over the prior year).

THe NPDs make me happy because of that fact. There are exponentially more gamers now, then 10 years ago. That means i can now talk to friends and even co-workers about my hobby without being looked at as strange. I can walk into any major retailer of electronics and pick up the latest game on MULTIPLE awesome systems.

I could care less about who wins the "console war" why does there have to be a war? It seems to me that each major player is sucessful in thier own rights and in different ways.

VIDEO GAMES FOR THE WIN!!!!

Raw64life said:
Everything not in the OP so far from various sources...

PSP WIPEOUT PULSE - ~10K

Dear God, that's just awful, the PSP software market is pretty much dead if even a AAA first party title is struggling to reach 10K. Even B grade niche titles should be selling more than that.

If I was a publisher I'd be cancelling any exclusive PSP titles and thinking very carefully over whether even multiplatform releases are even worth it. It really is a sad, sad situation we have.

Pistolero

PS2 : The legend will never die. What an amazing machine !
Awesome numbers for DS ; great for WII ; Excellent for PS3 ; very good for 360.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Was expecting higher for LO, but can't complain. The game deserves it.

And the parity between the 2 DMCs means multiplatform is paying off for Capcom.

one thing that sony needs a GOOD ASS KICKING in is marketing of PSP games......who the hell do they have in charge of promoting psp games? catatonic zombies in comas? where the hell are the TV ads for pulse? patapon? where is the friggin ad blitz thats supposed to be running months ago? its one part of sony that is still sorely sorely sad state. someone at SCEI needs to fire their entire psp marketing team and start from scratch

MisterHero

BobM said:
THe NPDs make me happy because of that fact. There are exponentially more gamers now, then 10 years ago. That means i can now talk to friends and even co-workers about my hobby without being looked at as strange. I can walk into any major retailer of electronics and pick up the latest game on MULTIPLE awesome systems.

I could care less about who wins the "console war" why does there have to be a war? It seems to me that each major player is sucessful in thier own rights and in different ways.

VIDEO GAMES FOR THE WIN!!!!
Because as businesses, companies are going to end up showing whose business ideologies work better. So far, Nintendo's rolling in the money. MS and, to a lesser extant, Sony, have lost a lot of money going with their plans.

And people, myself for example, don't want to see MS/Sony get away with selling consoles that cost more than $400 to get the most out of them or flood shelves with crappier "budget-gamer" SKUs.

Social gaming wasn't nerdy at all because 10 years ago there were Arcades and games like Street Fighter II. High cabinet/maintainance costs killed it though.

I understand people like other systems but as businesses these companies have to acknowledge mistakes and consequences.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
frAntic_Frog said:
one thing that sony needs a GOOD ASS KICKING in is marketing of PSP games......who the hell do they have in charge of promoting psp games? catatonic zombies in comas? where the hell are the TV ads for pulse? patapon? where is the friggin ad blitz thats supposed to be running months ago? its one part of sony that is still sorely sorely sad state. someone at SCEI needs to fire their entire psp marketing team and start from scratch

I've seen ads for Patapon and God of War on TV lately. That's about it though. Saw ads for the Star Wars PSP during Christmas... that's all I can think of.

Redd

frAntic_Frog said:

I've seen lots of commercials of Chains of Olympus lately.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tabris said:

Tabris said:
This is the month PS3 outsells Wii.

[360] 220K
[NDS] 280K
[PS2] 190K
[PS3] 265K
[PSP] 190K
[WII] 245K

awwwwww how cute

neptunes

Hate to re-tread old threads but the way psp Software has been selling for the uhh....past couple of MONTHS. things are looking pretty grim for Crisis Core

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209436&highlight=crisis+core

I Said
I wonder how much the NA sales (For crisis core)will be? 100k-200k tops?
others said

i expect it to do at least 400k-500k in the with good promotion and close to the same in the EU

This game better sell better in the US then it did in Japan or there is something wrong. The userbase in the US is larger then the Japan userbase and action RPG's have done well in the US in the past. I don't see why this one should be any different. Anything under 1mil for the US as well will be extremely disappointing.

I have high expectations of Crisis Core. It had a great development team and they made a GREAT game.
But it's possible that you were agreeing with Pureauthor that there was no way Crisis Core would only sell 100k-200k, because it's a PSP game and if it doesn't sell it'll just go on clearance and post the big numbers by default. The DS being mentioned only as the system that doesn't follow that pattern.

Guy Legend

From Next-Gen Biz's article on NPD

Analyst Jesse Divnich with virtual stock market The simExchange believes PS3's sale are significant, even in light of Xbox 360 shortages. "Whether there is an Xbox 360 shortage or not, it is clear that the PS3 has gained considerable ground on its rival. Given these past two months and the momentum that the PS3 has gained, Microsoft must react quickly as the PS3’s momentum will only get stronger until Microsoft reacts.

"In the short-term, Microsoft’s only feasible and economical option is to look at reducing its hardware price in North America to at least slow down the PS3’s momentum until it can implement more long-term solutions to winning the next-generation console war."

Top Bottom