• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official France Numbers for PS3 and Xbox 360

Lightning

Banned
http://xbox-mag.net/la-ps3-bientot-devant-la-xbox-360-en-france__14742.html

Les données des ventes du jeu vidéo en France étant toujours aussi rares, on accueille avec plaisir un petit article récapitulatif paru dans le dernier numéro des Echos. Le bilan est inquiétant pour Microsoft, la PS3 étant sur le point de dépasser la Xbox 360 en termes d'unités écoulées.

Concrètement, il se serait vendu 563.000 PS3 en France depuis l'apparition de la console dans les rayons. La 360 serait encore en tête, mais de très peu, avec 589.000 unités. Selon les chiffres fournis par l'institut GfK, c'est durant les fêtes de fin d'année que la PS3 aurait considérablement réduit l'écart, avec l'avantage de la récente baisse de prix et un catalogue un peu plus fourni. La donnée qui fait mal, c'est bien entendu la différence entre les dates de sortie des deux machines : la Xbox 360 a été lancée dans l'Hexagone un an et quatre mois plus tôt que la nouvelle Playstation. Si la tendance reste la même, cette dernière devrait doubler sa concurrente durant les prochaines semaines.

"En vendant, en moyenne, trois fois plus de PS3 que de Xbox 360 par semaine, on a pris le dessus sur Microsoft" confirme Georges Fornay, vice-président de Sony Computer Entertainement Europe.

Du côté de Microsoft, on préfère ne retenir que le fait que la 360 est toujours devant.

"Sony est en mode de rattrapage mais nous conservons la tête du marché d'après nos données, même en France" assure François Ruault, directeur de le section loisirs de Microsoft en France.

Le duel PS3/Xbox 360, quelle que soit son issue, se déroule cependant à bonne distance du succès de la Wii, qui a pour sa part déjà dépassé le seuil du million d'unités écoulées dans l'Hexagone.

From what I read:

PS3 = 563,000

360 = 589,000

Not bad for the PS3 if I say so myself. According to the article this info comes from gfk.

Raist

Banned
Heh, both sides spinning to the max :lol

The article mentions that the gap was mostly closed during holidays btw

Raist

Banned
donny2112 said:
Boom. I said that there was no way the 360 was at a freaking 500K by the end of year when it was at 500K in early December.

Thanks, Lightning. :)

Yeah and PS3 numbers were 500k too, and here they they 563k. Doesn't change much in the end.

@sionyboy> passed the 1million mark on mid-december.

ksamedi

Dash Kappei said:
Wow, going for the other reports we've got, Xbox360 really is a failure in Europe.

I think its because there is almost only American content on it. Thats about to change soon but up untill now its really been a platform for American developers and those kind of games don't appeal much in Europe.

Ranger X

Doc Evils said:
Looks like the PS3 will go past the 360 this year in France. makes you wonder how bad other places in Europe are.

Simple indication that the PS3 will most probably surpass the 360 in Europe. It's already set in stone for Japan so if the gap gets close in America, the second place console war (the only war that really exist) will be done. Microsoft third.

donny2112

Raist said:
Yeah and PS3 numbers were 500k too, and here they they 563k.

Yes, but that wasn't what I was on about in the other threads. To repeat before it gets brought up here, too: I don't care that the PS3 is going to pass the 360 in France soon.
Someone will probably think the fact that I'm pre-emptively stating this means that I really do care. :lol

pr0cs

Ranger X said:
so if the gap gets close in America, the second place console war (the only war that really exist) will be done. Microsoft third.
That gap is pretty huge, at this point well past Europe and Japan's differences in lead.
2008 is the year they could help shrink that gap but considering the size it will likely be beyond 08,

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
pr0cs said:
That gap is pretty huge, at this point well past Europe and Japan's differences in lead.

Probably not in on-going sales, though. Even just balancing the US gap with the Japanese one, the gap in on-going sales is small enough. Europe probably shrinks it further, if not tip in Sony's favour a bit.

Of course, there's still the year headstart they have to eat into to any significant degree, when talking about overall sales. But at least that lead probably didn't get much worse for them over 07.

Ranger X said:
Simple indication that the PS3 will most probably surpass the 360 in Europe. It's already set in stone for Japan so if the gap gets close in America, the second place console war (the only war that really exist) will be done. Microsoft third.

:lol , While it is obvious that the PS3 will beat out the 360 in most of Europe I think hanging hopes on markets that sell 500K a year and below against a market that sells 500K a month to decide the console sales war is a bit naive.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good work PS3 :)!

gcubed

pr0cs said:
2008 is the year they could help shrink that gap but considering the size it will likely be beyond 08,

yup the america gap is pretty big, it would have to start outselling in UK along with lowering the gap in America before it can catch 360 worldwide. I dont think it will happen by end of next year... all of Europe without UK isnt big enough to offset the huge lead in NA.

Doc Evils said:
Looks like the PS3 will go past the 360 this year in France. makes you wonder how bad other places in Europe are.

Not as bad as some would probably like to believe from looking at these numbers :)

The 360 is strong in Europe especially in the UK. Software sales for the 360 in France and some other parts like Spain or maybe Germany have never looked as strong as they did in the UK though. The software sales I think are a good indication of how well the console has to be doing in a particular market.

Look forward to seeing titles like GTA and a number of others to only help the 360 in most of Europe.

Anerythristic said:
:lol , While it is obvious that the PS3 will beat out the 360 in most of Europe I think hanging hopes on markets that sell 500K a year and below against a market that sells 500K a month to decide the console sales war is a bit naive.

By your own logic, 12 markets selling 500k a year is equally as important as one market that sells 500k a month.

North America is the biggest individual market, but not by that much. Europe is also a very large market, and the insinuation in your post that it isn't based on what is the equivalent of a single US state is misleading.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
France was one of the two (or three?) countries in Europe where the Gamecube was #2. We definitely like our Japanese stuff :)

donny2112

gofreak said:
Even just balancing the US gap with the Japanese one, the gap in on-going sales is small enough.

U.S. + Japan

Jul-07: PS3 +56K (price cut in the U.S. for the PS3)
Aug-07: 360 +77K (price cut in the U.S. for the 360)
Sep-07: 360 +358K (Halo 3)
Oct-07: 360 +210K
Nov-07: 360 +147K

gofreak said:
Of course, there's still the year headstart they have to eat into to any significant degree, when talking about overall sales. But at least that lead probably didn't get much worse for them over 07.

I actually do have the PS3 > 360 YTD worldwide through November, but PAL/Other involves a significant bit of guestimating.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Blimblim said:
France was one of the two (or three?) countries in Europe where the Gamecube was #2. We definitely like our Japanese stuff :)

Your stealth trolling is disgusting.

ADMIT IT!

lol ;)

carlosp

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
Not as bad as some would probably like to believe from looking at these numbers :)

The 360 is strong in Europe especially in the UK. Software sales for the 360 in France and some other parts like Spain or maybe Germany have never looked as strong as they did in the UK though. The software sales I think are a good indication of how well the console has to be doing in a particular market.

Look forward to seeing titles like GTA and a number of others to only help the 360 in most of Europe.

but why should some buy a xbox instead of ps3 (for playing GTA IV) if it doesnt offer any European content besides GTA and costs almost the same as the ps3?

Blimblim said:
Your impressionists and post-impressionists totally dug Japanese art, too.

Ranger X

Anerythristic said:

The hell are you talking about? My line of thinking is that the results for Europe in overall will be similar to France numbers. After that i added that if the PS3 is selling more in Europe and Japan that the 360, the total PS3 sales would probably reach 360's.

Rolf NB

Anerythristic said:
Such as?

Ranger X

Semantic Continuum said:
What ? More games on PS3 than on 360 ? Did i just lose a year or something ?

No. There are saying that there are more games that game out for PS3 lately. It's true there has been more big games since some months.

Ranger X said:

Yeah but America is the most important market

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
donny2112 said:
U.S. + Japan

Jul-07: PS3 +56K (price cut in the U.S. for the PS3)
Aug-07: 360 +77K (price cut in the U.S. for the 360)
Sep-07: 360 +358K (Halo 3)
Oct-07: 360 +210K
Nov-07: 360 +147K

The figures I was looking at were over the entirity of 07 - 360's total lead for the 12 months in US+Japan extended by between 800k and 900k. Not much. A lot of that was weighted toward the end of the year, obviously because of the holidays.

Ranger X

AranhaHunter said:
Yeah but America is the most important market

Yup. That's why Sony needs to sell more consoles than Microsoft in Japan and Europe in order to compensate for the American gap.

deepbrown

gofreak said:
The figures I was looking at were over the entirity of 07 - 360's total lead for the 12 months in US+Japan extended by between 800k and 900k. Not much. A lot of that was weighted toward the end of the year, obviously because of the holidays.
And including Europe...it's about level? Maybe plus 100,000 for PS3?

Anerythristic said:

Europe = France?

Not a full year btw, it launched in March 23

deepbrown

CowboyAstronaut said:
Hmm so that link up there is inaccurate?
No...as Lighting said - those gains were made very recently - ie. Xmas period.

Except 200,000 in a month sounds....odd.

edit: it's from the same mag? French Echo....I'm confussled now

gcubed

CowboyAstronaut said:
Hmm so that link up there is inaccurate? Damn good point murphy the PS3 only just released around March.

if the numbers were indeed from gfk, not sure they are wrong.

sankao

Xbox live is not nearly as developed in Europe as it is in the US.
Microsoft France should stop spinning numbers and start getting to work on original content.
The "frenchs hate americans" cliché doesn't seem to prevent the iPods or mac books from selling.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
deepbrown said:
And including Europe...it's about level? Maybe plus 100,000 for PS3?

Hard to say for sure given we don't have total visibility there. But given indications of sales there since the pricedrop in territories that have been reported on, given they had the advantage of a launch here in March, given indications Sony had previously mentioned about PS3 sales relative to 360 in Europe (with Japan, admittedly), it's not too hard to imagine them having outsold 360 in the year, in Europe, by >=800k, perhaps...?

Xisiqomelir

sankao said:
The "frenchs hate americans" cliché doesn't seem to prevent the iPods or mac books from selling.

For some reason, this exact same piece of contradictory evidence is also ignored when it comes to Japan.

Top Bottom