• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official France Numbers for PS3 and Xbox 360

Luckyman

Banned
The record is troubling for Microsoft, the PS3 is on the verge of exceeding the Xbox 360 in terms of units sold.

Specifically, it would have sold 563,000 PS3 in France since the appearance of the console on the shelves. The 360 would still be at the top, but very little, with 589,000 units. According to figures provided by the GfK institute, during the holiday season that the PS3 would have considerably narrowed the gap, with the advantage of the recent drop in prices and a catalogue provided a little more. The data that hurts, of course, is the difference between the release dates of two machines: the Xbox 360 was launched in France a year and four months earlier that the new Playstation. If the trend remains the same, the latter is expected to double its competitor in the coming weeks.

"By selling, on average, three times more than PS3 Xbox 360 a week, it took precedence over Microsoft confirms Georges Fornay, vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

"Sony is in catch-up mode, but we keep the market leader, according to our data, even in France" assures Francois Ruault, director of the leisure section of Microsoft in France.

xbox_boat.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Luckyman said:
"Sony is in catch-up mode, but we keep the market leader, according to our data, even in France" assures Francois Ruault, director of the leisure section of Microsoft in France.

The Sony quote is that they're selling 3 times more per week now than Microsoft (edit - I think?)

Microsoft's quote doesn't quite contradict them, as their presented data is LTD.

Ranger X

"En vendant, en moyenne, trois fois plus de PS3 que de Xbox 360 par semaine, on a pris le dessus sur Microsoft" confirme Georges Fornay, vice-président de Sony Computer Entertainement Europe.

Du côté de Microsoft, on préfère ne retenir que le fait que la 360 est toujours devant.

"Sony est en mode de rattrapage mais nous conservons la tête du marché d'après nos données, même en France" assure François Ruault, directeur de le section loisirs de Microsoft en France.

"By selling 3 times more PS3s than 360s everyweek we could overtake Microsoft".

"Microsoft is only talking about their total sales"

"Sony is in "catch-up mode" but we are still on top of the market here in France according to our data."

sankao said:
Xbox live is not nearly as developed in Europe as it is in the US.
Microsoft France should stop spinning numbers and start getting to work on original content.
The "frenchs hate americans" cliché doesn't seem to prevent the iPods or mac books from selling.

Ssssh Freedom Fries :lol

I remember the first time I saw a restaurant over here label the French Fries as such it was pretty damn funny. They wouldn't serve anyone that refused to call them Freedom Fries.

Then when I got my fries I was like "oh and I could get a salad with some freedom dressing?":lol

Lightning

Banned
Sony/Microsoft PR on this matter doesn't matter. The official gfk numbers say everything that needs to be said.

Sony/MS PR = Good for a laugh but useless for anything else.

deepbrown

Lightning said:
Sony/Microsoft PR on this matter doesn't matter. The official gfk numbers say everything that needs to be said.

Sony/MS PR = Good for a laugh but useless for anything else.
So what's the Kotaku link all about then?

deepbrown

Loudninja said:
Its Kotaku
No it's actually Jeux France with the very same magazine reporting the numbers as in Lightning's link. So did it really double life time sales?

edit: JeuxFrance filled in the gaps for the PS3 - obviously they were quite a bit out.

To my critics ,

All I am trying to say is that we know the PS3 is outselling the 360 in some markets in Europe while the 360 is doing well in a couple of other markets in Europe. I do not think that a good portion of Europe will be enough to overcome 360's worlwide lead when you factor in that the 360 is doing better than the PS3 in some of the worlds largest markets.

pr0cs

Anerythristic said:
To my critics ,

All I am trying to say is that we know the PS3 is outselling the 360 in some markets in Europe while the 360 is doing well in a couple of other markets in Europe. I do not think that a good portion of Europe will be enough to overcome 360's worlwide lead when you factor in that the 360 is doing better than the PS3 in some of the worlds largest markets.
Would it be impossible for the UK alone to negate those other markets?
I mean, the Wii is seriously killing all of them and PS3 doing better in France/Italy/Germany but doesn't the lead and sales in the UK make up for those?

Alx

ksamedi said:
I think its because there is almost only American content on it. Thats about to change soon but up untill now its really been a platform for American developers and those kind of games don't appeal much in Europe.

carlosp said:
but why should some buy a xbox instead of ps3 (for playing GTA IV) if it doesnt offer any European content besides GTA and costs almost the same as the ps3?

There's no such thing as European content... what currently sells on new consoles is the usual FPS-Sport-Racing combo (with the only difference that sport = football/soccer). The holidays best sellers on PS3 and 360 are exactly the same.
I find it a bit annoying that PS3 sells mainly because of conservative thinking more than good games ("I had a PS2, so I'll buy a PS3"). But other than that I think the situation is ok, the PS3 will obviously catch up with the 360, but it will take some time and both will be strong enough to keep living their own life (I read some estimations for last week in Europe, PS3 was at 50K, and 360 at 40K... don't know if the source is reliable though).

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Like to see the software numbers before we crown the winner of 2nd place.

pr0cs said:
Would it be impossible for the UK alone to negate those other markets?
I mean, the Wii is seriously killing all of them and PS3 doing better in France/Italy/Germany but doesn't the lead and sales in the UK make up for those?

I really think that the UK comes close to negating if not at the very least equalizing the numbers. Don't get me wrong at this point I own all 3 and would like to see all 3 prosper. I just literally hate people that seem to not think the 360 is a serious contender, it's a pet peeve.

bluheim

Banned
Anerythristic said:
I just literally hate people that seem to not think the 360 is a serious contender, it's a pet peeve.

What are you talking about ? The trend, both in these boards and in the press is that the PS3 is not a serious contender, not the 360.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Anerythristic said:
:lol , While it is obvious that the PS3 will beat out the 360 in most of Europe I think hanging hopes on markets that sell 500K a year and below against a market that sells 500K a month to decide the console sales war is a bit naive.

And add in the 1.3mil/yr sales in Japan for PS3 and all the sudden you have over 1.75mil/yr sold in just two countries. Hrmm.

Kildace

Not surprising, no advertising at all versus a fuckton of advertising.
It should be interesting to see Microsoft's strategy next year now that the company apparently switched focus from Japan to Europe.

deepbrown

Anerythristic said:
I really think that the UK comes close to negating if not at the very least equalizing the numbers. Don't get me wrong at this point I own all 3 and would like to see all 3 prosper. I just literally hate people that seem to not think the 360 is a serious contender, it's a pet peeve.
I'm afraid it doens't.

bluheim

Banned
Kildace said:
It should be interesting to see Microsoft's strategy next year now that the company apparently switched focus from Japan to Europe.

Too bad 2008 PS3's lineup looks incredible. 360's momentum is over.

Anerythristic said:
To my critics ,

1) From the limited data that we have, the PS3 is outperforming the 360 on a week by week basis in all European markets except for the UK.

2) The Xbox 360 does not sell 500k a month in an average month in the US.

3) Some (admittedly not as helpful as they could be) data from Europe:

a) Sony claim 200k PS3s sold a week in Europe (early December 2007) - http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aw752an8t4RE&refer=asia

b) Nintendo claim X360 has sold ~650k in Europe and is being outsold by the PS3 (october 2007, somewhat dubious method of data collection, lol) - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203990

c) Until September of 2007, the PS3 and the 360 were selling "neck and neck" in the UK, acknowledged as the 360s strongest market in Europe - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194379

I just literally hate people that seem to not think the 360 is a serious contender, it's a pet peeve.

A serious contender where? Europe? Japan? Why does it matter to you if you own all 3 consoles?

MrNyarlathotep said:
A serious contender where? Europe? Japan? Why does it matter to you if you own all 3 consoles?

It's a serious contender everywhere but Japan. What did you think, I would listen to you fanboys ? What does it matter to me ? I like gaming and the 360 has some great games that people should play. This thread is just a circle jerk , yes ?

Kildace

bluheim said:
Too bad 2008 PS3's lineup looks incredible. 360's momentum is over.

Eh, you're thinking like a hardcore gamer. I know that 2008 is the year i'll get a PS3 but joe sixpack, or kevin bidochon probably doesn't know that much about consoles, if when GTA4 hits Microsoft manages to put out a bundle with a premium + GTA4 that costs 100€ less than the PS3 alone and push it a ton on TV and in Print, Microsoft might be able to hold Sony off for another year.

The influence of getting closer to a mainstream price is, imo, as big as the influence that an awesome lineup gives you.

Anerythristic said:
It's a serious contender everywhere but Japan. What did you think, I would listen to you fanboys ? What does it matter to me ? I like gaming and the 360 has some great games that people should play. This thread is just a circle jerk , yes ?

So... people who from the limited available data on European sales think there is a real chance that the PS3 is outselling the 360 on a weekly basis (but not an LTD one) are fanboys, but someone (you) who has no real evidence either way but is convinced that there's no possible way the PS3 could ever be outselling the 360 Europewide, and gets peeved when people say that that might actually be the case is... what, exactly?

Neo C.

Luckyman said:
A "360 <3 you" is just bad in France. Use french ffs! How about "360 aime toi" or "360: 'voulez-vous coucher avec moi'"?

ok, the last one doesn't sound convincing

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Kildace said:
This have nothing to do with advertising..my country dont like too much ms but mostly its due to RROD.
they call peoples who buy 360 Les S.A.V = mean service repair in english(something like that)

MrNyarlathotep said:
So... people who from the limited available data on European sales think there is a real chance that the PS3 is outselling the 360 on a weekly basis (but not an LTD one) are fanboys, but someone (you) who has no real evidence either way but is convinced that there's no possible way the PS3 could ever be outselling the 360 Europewide, and gets peeved when people say that that might actually be the case is... what, exactly?

You really are a fanboy. Read my posts in this thread and don't pull that little kid shit where you try to turn the fanboy thing around on me, I'm not moved.

The PS3 is selling better than the 360 in Japan , Spain , Portugal, Germany, Italy and France. Get over yourself and calm the hell down Turbo.

Kildace

Lagaff said:
This have nothing to do with advertising..my country dont like ms but mostly its RROD.
they call people who buy 360 S.A.V = mean repair center in english(something like that)

Amusingly enough I'm french too, also i work in advertising. Are you trying to tell me that the fact that Sony spent more than 20 times what Microsoft spent in advertising in 2007 has nothing to do with the PS3 outselling the 360 during the holidays?
I don't know anyone who calls 360 owners like this, I also know that out of the 100 people in my office, 95% know about the Wii, 70% know the brand "Playstation" but barely 10 would be able to give the name of Microsoft's console. This is called brand recognition, it comes with advertising and Microsoft has none.

Kosma

Banned
Dude if you really think the 360 can win in Europe from the PS3.....this year the streams will cross already.

sphinx

the piano man
Blimblim said:
France was one of the two (or three?) countries in Europe where the Gamecube was #2. We definitely like our Japanese stuff :)

Gamecube was DEFINITELY number 2 in spain and Germany, just a quick trip to stores back then would have sufficed to confirm that.

so, yes at least 3 countries.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Kildace said:
Amusingly enough I'm french too, also i work in advertising. Are you trying to tell me that the fact that Sony spent more than 20 times what Microsoft spent in advertising in 2007 has nothing to do with the PS3 outselling the 360 during the holidays?
I don't know anyone who calls 360 owners like this, I also know that out of the 100 people in my office, 95% know about the Wii, 70% know the brand "Playstation" but barely 10 would be able to give the name of Microsoft's console. This is called brand recognition, it comes with advertising and Microsoft has none.
If you french then you know most peoples will tell you dont buy an xbox360 because of RROd..

Anerythristic said:
You really are a fanboy.

Based on what? Correcting your retarded first post and then offering you data on your second?

Whatever dude. I live in Europe and own all 3 consoles which is why I'm interested in European sales threads, you carry on believing whatever the hell you want about which console is picking up Nintendos scraps for second.

tino

Banned
What these number say to me is that, at this moment (jan 08), world wide monthly PS3 sale is about equip or a hair ahead of X360. It's going to be a back and fore epic battle between the two consoles. However X360 may sell a titty bit more in 2008 because I m guessing the X360 price drop will be at E3/pre-GTA4 and PS3 price drop will be at holiday. I m guessing GTA will move more cheaper 360 than blu-ray will PS3.

But in a powerful third party publisher world, this (who gets 2nd pl) won't mean much, you guys know that.

tino said:
But in a powerful third party publisher world, this (who gets 2nd pl) won't mean much, you guys know that.

You'd think that, but after an entire 2007 trying to convince people of it, I've given it up for the new year.

Kildace

Lagaff said:
If you french then you know most peoples will tell you dont buy an xbox360 because of RROd..

No, they don't, none of my gamer friends even know about the RROD, none of them had played the 360 before I got one either because French people are not aware of the 360. French gamers who read magazines and read jeuxvideos.com do, but they're hardly the majority of gamers.

When you're trying to compete on a market with a brand 8 years younger than your newest competitor, you need to advertise to purchase mindshare. Microsoft didn't and it's one of the main reason why it's performing poorly, not games, not the RROD, lack of awareness.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Kildace said:
No, they don't, none of my gamer friends even know about the RROD, none of them had played the 360 before I got one either because French people are not aware of the 360. French gamers who read magazines and read jeuxvideos.com do, but they're hardly the majority of gamers.

When you're trying to compete on a market with a brand 8 years younger than your newest competitor, you need to advertise to purchase mindshare. Microsoft didn't and it's one of the main reason why it's performing poorly, not games, not the RROD, lack of awareness.
Thats the people who buy the ps3/and xbox360

Kildace

Lagaff said:
Thats the people who buy the ps3/and xbox360

At the beginning of the generation, yes, but that's not the mainstream, and the mainstream is what makes or breaks a console.

Anyhow, I don't really want to argue about this, my point is that it's not surprising that the 360 isn't a success in a country where it's not advertised and I stand by it.

I think Microsoft's failure in France and other Euro Markets(even Japan to an extent) is due to poor marketing and/or poor understanding of gaming tastes. They haven't put enough of an effort to take over Euro Market it seems. Aren't MS loathed in the EU though since they're are constantly investigated for their practices? That could also be a contributing factor.It's disappointing to see how they've let their lead go in Europe where their sales were at least decent enough to maintain it(unlike Japan).

Kosma

Banned
Thing is, MS should have NEVER EVER tried to bother with Japan. They could have secured Europe for sure if instead of spending money on Blue Dragon and Last Oddysey they've gotten PES or something exclusive for Europe.

sphinx

the piano man
oo Kosma oo said:
Thing is, MS should have NEVER EVER tried to bother with Japan. They could have secured Europe for sure if instead of spending money on Blue Dragon and Last Oddysey they've gotten PES or something exclusive for Europe.

I agree but it's not typical of the American culture to back off and not compete. Americans are known for always having a competitive mindset and taking chances.

you'll see XBOX720 equally both in Japan and EU next generation with even more money poured into it. No way they are backing off.

Superfrog

The French numbers are not surprising at all, I'm actually surprised that the 360 is still in the lead, though. This is comparable to Germany and - from Microsoft's point of view - it's even worse in Italy and Spain. The 360 only performs decently in the UK, everywhere else it's basically a mess. This is not only due to MS's very poor marketing and advertising (which hasn't become any better since the launch of the Xbox 1, at least in Germany), it's also the lack of the mass market's awareness that there's something else apart from "PlayStation" and "Nintendo".

oo Kosma oo said:

To be honest I don't think there is something as simple as 1 exclusive that would sway the market, particularly for the Xbox. PES may be popular but it always faces stiff competition from FIFA. An exclusive deal would probably piss off EA. The only exclusive that would have made a difference would be GTA4 and I think total exclusivity on that would cost more than even MS would be willing to pay.

Also the impact of an exclusive on an iterative franchise like PES, MS would have to secure it for quite a few years to give it any impact, adding to the cost.

Kosma

Banned
Conflict NZ said:
Why the hell do the French hate the Americans? If anything the Americans should hate the French for being such goddam pussies.

Mushashi said:
They did try that tactic already, it hasn't worked too well.

The PS3 wasn't out then, so people where still waiting for that to buy their PES for. If they'd do it in the first year of the PS3....that would be different.

Top Bottom