• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official France Numbers for PS3 and Xbox 360

joezombie

Bubblicious said:
I think Microsoft's failure in France and other Euro Markets(even Japan to an extent) is due to poor marketing and/or poor understanding of gaming tastes. They haven't put enough of an effort to take over Euro Market it seems. Aren't MS loathed in the EU though since they're are constantly investigated for their practices? That could also be a contributing factor.It's disappointing to see how they've let their lead go in Europe where their sales were at least decent enough to maintain it(unlike Japan).

Scanning the latest PAL thread, the top games seem to be pretty similar to the US, and pretty much everywhere we have data for outside of Japan. Assassins Creed, Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero, Mario Galaxy, Wii/DS stuff. Hell, the best selling PS2 game in Spain is Smackdown vs. Raw 08, certainly no repudation of shitty American tastes. PS3 is still beating the 360 in parts of the continent due primarily to brand. The Wii is, of course, killing both of them

Kosma

Banned
Could we really just ignore the little kid troll, growing puibic hair is frightening experience for him and he is lashing out. I don't want this thread to derail in US<>EU bashing.

sakuragi

Banned
Conflict NZ said:
Why the hell do the French hate the Americans? If anything the Americans should hate the French for being such goddam pussies.

Xbox 360 not selling well in France = The French hate Americas? Where have I heard that before hmmmmmmm.

So what about Italy..........................and Portugal, Spain, Germany, the rest of Europe except the UK and Japan?

So so many countries hate America. Or, it could be that they prefer the Wii and PS3 instead.

Mushashi

oo Kosma oo said:
The PS3 wasn't out then, so people where still waiting for that to buy their PES for. If they'd do it in the first year of the PS3....that would be different.

So why didn't they wait till PS3 launch to secure the double exclusive of FIFA/PES? because EA/Konami didn't want to or demand too much money?

or maybe the original exclusivity deals were just opportunistic money making by EA/Konami...

Mushashi said:
So why didn't they wait till PS3 launch to secure the double exclusive of FIFA/PES? because EA/Konami didn't want to or demand too much money?

or maybe the original exclusivity deals were just opportunistic money making by EA/Konami...

I think you probably answered your own question. It probably wasn't too much to Konami/EA not to have a PS3 version until late'07 with the system only launching in March. Plus they still had all the other platforms to profit from. With the PS3 out, the asking price for a PES/FIFA exclusive probably increased significantly.

Kosma

Banned
Mushashi said:

Both I think. These deals meant very little because of when they occured, if the crowd that went out shopping for the PS3 saw that Fifa and PES were on 360 only things could have been different.

watership

Blimblim said:
Both. It's not a good combination for the Xbox brand, that's for sure :D

So is this a brand issue or a game issue? In Japan I can see the Xbox games not appealing to the game masses. In Europe it seems that Sony's image is just stellar when compared to Microsofts.

tjhooker

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Wow, going for the other reports we've got, Xbox360 really is a failure in Europe.

It was always set to be.

It has nothing to do with them being American. Many American brands like Levi, Apple, Google etc are well received here because they represent quality unlike Microsoft.

In Europe the Microsoft brand is despised across all their product lines.

The HD-DVD, RROD and now Live disasters haven't done anything to improve that image.

Judging by PS3 software sales in the UK charts, it won't be long before it surpasses 360 here too.

All it needed was a more accessible price and that's what it got.

Alx

tjhooker said:
Live disasters

Live is ok in Europe. There were a few disturbances lately, but nothing serious (at least nothing compared to what I read here on GAF). I'm currently downloading the Turok demo without any trouble.

Superfrog

Alx said:
Live is ok in Europe. There were a few disturbances lately, but nothing serious (at least nothing compared to what I read here on GAF). I'm currently downloading the Turok demo without any trouble.
O really? I started downloading the Turok demo 4 hours ago (6 Mbit connection). At the moment, I'm at 39%...

I'm a big fan of XBL (Gold member from the outset), but after weeks of terrible Live performance, I'm utterly pissed.

watership

tjhooker said:

The HD-DVD, RROD and now Live disasters haven't done anything to improve that image.

This is something that's not happening with Xbox in North America. Most people make a disconnect between the Window 95 Microsoft and the Xbox brand. The MS antitrust stories are long gone from our headlines.

The RROD is a PR disaster. But what's the Live and HD-DVD disaster your talking about?

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
tjhooker said:
It was always set to be.

It has nothing to do with them being American. Many American brands like Levi, Apple, Google etc are well received here because they represent quality unlike Microsoft.

Judging by PS3 software sales in the UK charts, it won't be long before it surpasses 360 here too.

All it needed was a more accessible price and that's what it got.

What? Are you saying Software on the PS3 is outselling software on the 360? You would be wrong.

ksamedi said:
I think its because there is almost only American content on it. Thats about to change soon but up untill now its really been a platform for American developers and those kind of games don't appeal much in Europe.
Most people will play Fifa, NFS or GTA anyway, so thats not the real problem.

Flyguy

tjhooker said:
It's clearly beyond you.

It's beyond most of us why twice as many 360 titles on the UK charts and the #1 title overall means PS3 is set to surpass 360. Such utterly illogical logic is your domain.

Xisiqomelir

Why is assumed xenophobia always the defense in these cases? Is it so very inconceivable that the product has little to no global appeal?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Flyguy said:
It's beyond most of us why twice as many 360 titles on the UK charts and the #1 title overall means PS3 is set to surpass 360. Such utterly illogical logic is your domain.
I think he means in relative terms from the advantage 360 had. 360 software sales should be absolutely crushing PS3 software sales but they are not. In some cases (fifa) Ps3 titles outsold their 360 counterpart for a week. 360 had two holiday season and 16 months head start but from looking at the sales you wouldnt think there was such a big gap.

pr0cs

PistolGrip said:
I think he means in relative terms from the advantage 360 had. 360 software sales should be absolutely crushing PS3 software sales but they are not. In some cases (fifa) Ps3 titles outsold their 360 counterpart for a week. 360 had two holiday season and 16 months head start but from looking at the sales you wouldnt think there was such a big gap.
I don't think it works that way, if you use that analogy then the PS2 software should sell Bazillions because they have 120million units out in the wild.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
PistolGrip said:

Yeah, that means they're doing better. Also, since we DON'T get numbers for software, just a ranking, you don't know WHAT the gap is. However, if you look historically at the US, Japan, and the few weeks we ever get from PAL markets, you can get a fairly good idea of the statistical separation between #1-10 and the rest. If you actually do this, you saying "you wouldn't think there was such a big gap."becomes a little off.

The reason why "you wouldn't think" is because there's no numbers associated with the charts. However, the mere fact the 360 dominates the top 10 on a weekly basis (compared to PS3) shows just how much better its software is in fact selling.

nib95

Banned
Pretty damn good for the PS3, considering the 360 had more than a year head start, and the PS3 (from March 07) has basically already caught up. Further evidence that outside of the UK, Sony really is still Euro land and doing a lot better better than the 360. Well even in the UK, I suspect the PS3 is doing very well indeed. If you remember my thread a few days back, a source of mine in SCEE told me the PS3 LTD UK sales numbers were just shy of a million. Also, remember software sales from Germany and Sweden the last few months. With PS3 multiplatform game sales (AC and COD4) being comparable and sometimes even bettering 360 sales. Again, consider the 360 had over a year headstart, that shouldn't be the case at all, as the 360 should have had far more consoles (hence multiplatform software sales) in Germany and Sweden. Maybe the PS3 has caught up in LTD sales in those regions as well?

Anyway, good news for Sony.

I quoted my post from IGN.

spwolf

nib95 said:
Pretty damn good for the PS3, considering the 360 had more than a year head start, and the PS3 (from March 07) has basically already caught up. Further evidence that outside of the UK, Sony really is still Euro land and doing a lot better better than the 360. Well even in the UK, I suspect the PS3 is doing very well indeed. If you remember my thread a few days back, a source of mine in SCEE told me the PS3 LTD UK sales numbers were just shy of a million. Also, remember software sales from Germany and Sweden the last few months. With PS3 multiplatform game sales (AC and COD4) being comparable and sometimes even bettering 360 sales. Again, consider the 360 had over a year headstart, that shouldn't be the case at all, as the 360 should have had far more consoles (hence multiplatform software sales) in Germany and Sweden. Maybe the PS3 has caught up in LTD sales in those regions as well?

Anyway, good news for Sony.

I quoted my post from IGN.

In either Germany or Spain (forgot), PS3 hardware overtook 360, similar to France - Sony had 500k+ in 2007 while MS had only 200k for total of 500k LTD.

Something like that has been mirrored in France as well.

Ceb

pr0cs said:
I don't think it works that way, if you use that analogy then the PS2 software should sell Bazillions because they have 120million units out in the wild.

It does sell bazillions, just spread out on the vast amount of available software.

spwolf

PistolGrip said:

In UK 360 software sells really really well. As does PS3's...
What software numbers we have for November is 360 having 24% of market, while PS3 has 14%. Both are pretty great numbers actually.

That was when install base was 3x1. Now it is already 2x1.

PS3 has to start outselling 360 globally in order for us to achieve the desired outcome of having the two platforms finish the generation in a virtual dead heat. Ideally we get a full three-way tie but Nintendo is making that difficult. Hopefully this ends up being somewhat offset by weak Wii software sales (really, the true strength of a platform lies only in software sales and not in hardware sales at all).

If PS3 outsells 360 at a rate that will cause them to not catch up until at least xmas 2009, we're in pretty good shape, at least much better shape than last generation.

We being the multi-console future, fierce competition defense force. We will drink the tears of Jaffe and Dyack when three new consoles are eventually announced for next generation. And it will be delicious. I'm so fucking happy with this generation. :D

spwolf

beermonkey@tehbias said:
PS3 has to start outselling 360 globally in order for us to achieve the desired outcome of having the two platforms finish the generation in a virtual dead heat. Ideally we get a full three-way tie but Nintendo is making that difficult. Hopefully this ends up being somewhat offset by weak Wii software sales (really, the true strength of a platform lies only in software sales and not in hardware sales at all).

If PS3 outsells 360 at a rate that will cause them to not catch up until at least xmas 2009, we're in pretty good shape, at least much better shape than last generation.

We being the multi-console future, fierce competition defense force. We will drink the tears of Jaffe and Dyack when three new consoles are eventually announced for next generation. And it will be delicious. I'm so fucking happy with this generation. :D

PS3 is probably already outselling 360 globally. But problem is that they have 8-9 million to catch up to. What PS3 needs to do is a lot better in USA, since thats the only market they are actually doing relativly bad in.

What continental Europe is showing is that once PS3 comes to acceptable price, 360 sales almost stop. If Microsoft doesnt do anything, they will completly lose 60%-70% of European market - which is about the same market size as USA.

It is good time to be an customer, since wars will most certainly mean prices will go down once again this year. So, we (the customers) Win.

Jokeropia

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Hopefully this ends up being somewhat offset by weak Wii software sales (really, the true strength of a platform lies only in software sales and not in hardware sales at all).
Wii software sales are not in any way, shape or form weak. In fact, thanks to the massive hardware sales, they're better than any other system in history at this point. (14 months after release.)

spwolf said:
PS3 is probably already outselling 360 globally. But problem is that they have 8-9 million to catch up to. What PS3 needs to do is a lot better in USA, since thats the only market they are actually doing relativly bad in.

What continental Europe is showing is that once PS3 comes to acceptable price, 360 sales almost stop. If Microsoft doesnt do anything, they will completly lose 60%-70% of European market - which is about the same market size as USA.

It is good time to be an customer, since wars will most certainly mean prices will go down once again this year. So, we (the customers) Win.

Unfotunately seeing that the UK is the one European market that the 360's not doing too badly in, we'll (by which I mean me) probably have to wait the longest to benefit from cheaper 360s.

It's always a bit weird when people celebrate that a manufacturer is breaking even/profiting off hardware, as consumers we should be celebrating when they're bleeding money on hardware so we get it cheaper, when it's us that are richer for it rather than them.

Jokeropia said:
Wii software sales are not in any way, shape or form weak. In fact, thanks to the massive hardware sales, they're better than any other system in history at this point. (14 months after release.)

When I said hopefully Wii's success will be partially offset by software sales, I was really speaking more about the future than the present. I'm hoping that they soften. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Die Squirrel Die said:
It's always a bit weird when people celebrate that a manufacturer is breaking even/profiting off hardware, as consumers we should be celebrating when they're bleeding money on hardware so we get it cheaper, when it's us that are richer for it rather than them.

Oh, agreed. I'd love to see these guys bleed horribly on hardware sales losses (but make it up on software royalties, which keeps them in the business). I get a little sad when I hear about hardware profits in this biz.

mabuza

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
Unfotunately seeing that the UK is the one European market that the 360's not doing too badly in, we'll (by which I mean me) probably have to wait the longest to benefit from cheaper 360s.

im sure the dreamcast fans were celebrating when sega bleeding money on the hardware.

mabuza said:
im sure the dreamcast fans were celebrating when sega bleeding money on the hardware.

If the DC software business was booming, they wouldn't have given a crap because the platform as a whole would have been OK. Nobody should want to see the vendors lose money as a whole, but losing money on hardware is awesome.

Conflict NZ said:
Why the hell do the French hate the Americans? If anything the Americans should hate the French for being such goddam pussies.
1821551.widec.jpg

Raist

Banned
Conflict NZ said:

Hey, I don't hate you. Even if you sound like a moron

Raist

Banned
Xapati said:
Both numbers make me sad. I wish the gaming market was bigger in Europe :( .

Well, you should pay more attention to numbers.

French VG market, for instance, represents a €2.4 billion income, as of 2007. WW market is estimated at €30 billion. That's 8%.

If you take population into consideration, that would give a US market of about €12 billion (US population being ~5 times bigger than france's). Last I checked, the US market was around $12.5 billion (2006, that's €8.5 billion)

So proportionally, the french market not that far from the US'. That's France alone. Add UK, which is even bigger than France, and Germany which is quite good also (around $1 billion IIRC) and you'll see that european market isn't that weak.

Lightning

Banned
Conflict NZ said:
LOL.

And I think it's more that the French are more into Japanese games rather then a actual dislike for the America itself. Although it is rather easy to hate America...

Cuth

I suppose Halo 3 is the MS game which got the biggest marketing push... Here in Italy I've seen more tv commercials of Ratchet & Clank Future than Halo 3 ones. Same for Heavenly Sword, Lair and Uncharted (and Assassin's Creed, with just the PS3 logo).

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but in Italy I'd say Sony has spent easily 10 times more than Microsoft in marketing in the last 6 months.

Die Squirrel Die said:
£150 arcade model not cheap enough? That's a premium + benefits (if you grab the HDD separate) for around the price of a Wii.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Raist said:
Well, you should pay more attention to numbers.

French VG market, for instance, represents a €2.4 billion income, as of 2007. WW market is estimated at €30 billion. That's 8%.

If you take population into consideration, that would give a US market of about €12 billion (US population being ~5 times bigger than france's). Last I checked, the US market was around $12.5 billion (2006, that's €8.5 billion)

So proportionally, the french market not that far from the US'. That's France alone. Add UK, which is even bigger than France, and Germany which is quite good also (around $1 billion IIRC) and you'll see that european market isn't that weak.

The problem here is you're using the 2007 numbers for France, while using the 2006 numbers for the US. Both markets grew considerably as far as income in 2007. So, by trying to make the comparison of 2007 vs. 2006, you're greatly skewing the numbers.

EDIT: not to say Europe doesn't pull good weight, just that your assessment was stilted.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
spwolf said:

The only question I pose to you, and I'm looking for a realistic answer (probably expecting too much), is who gains the most from this generation? Does Sony gain by having their market share blasted away? Does MS gain by greatly improving their market share?

Realistically, we should all be able to agree, even if MS would somehow wind up 3rd WW w/50M to the PS3 56M, how can you ignore the VAST jump in market share? How could that been seen as a loss when considering the ridiculous software sales? In fact, if the trend continues, Sony would have to be the biggest loser all around. Software sales not even helping with hardware losses, and losing a massive chunk of the market.

So, I'd even agree with people that would say the PS3 can unseat the 360 for second WW, if they could accept MS gained massive amounts while Sony did the opposite.

Top Bottom