• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Custom Theme Thread

theluma

Meh. Anyone know how all these awesome wallpapers will look on my SD 4:3 set? :(

Is it even worth trying? Or will they just be all cut out?

noah111

Still Alive
RoadHazard said:
I hope he'll go back and fix the first two stages as well, so I can keep using them without the top right corner looking weird.
I hope so too, but like I said the only real way he'll be able to make those adjustments is waiting for FW3.0 and toying with it for himself.

theluma said:
Meh. Anyone know how all these awesome wallpapers will look on my SD 4:3 set? :(
Is it even worth trying? Or will they just be all cut out?
Solution: get an HD TV. :D

noah111

Still Alive
Nice! But be careful as I also saw them on some random forum and there didn't seem to be any credit given, not even by name. :\ Still congrats, well deserved bro. I wonder if ND could put them up in the store around launch, your wallpapers are definitely better than a ton of others on there..

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Anyone have a link to the most recent official compiler? Or did that GAFer ever update his theme software for the newer firmwares? I've been meaning to update one of the themes I've made but they kept adding more and more icons. Thanks in advance and sorry if I skimmed past it.

theluma

Sentry said:
Solution: get an HD TV. :D

I guess you're right...I've been thinking about if for a long time...

Anyone got the LG M227WD?

Almost certainly gonna get it but some people say the sound is bad. Not an audiophile over here though, but want something nice to play my PS3 on.

noah111

Still Alive
theluma said:
I guess you're right...I've been thinking about if for a long time...
Anyone got the LG M227WD?
Almost certainly gonna get it but some people say the sound is bad. Not an audiophile over here though, but want something nice to play my PS3 on.
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the complaints about the speaker quality (probably just audiophiles as you said), overall it sounds good from the reviews, and cheap. Trust me HD is worth it, HDMI cables come dirt cheap as well.

De-mon

Sentry said:
Nice! But be careful as I also saw them on some random forum and there didn't seem to be any credit given, not even by name. :\

It´s why I do not do so many wallpapers as it could :-/

Still congrats, well deserved bro. I wonder if ND could put them up in the store around launch, your wallpapers are definitely better than a ton of others on there..

De-mon

Working in a new wallpaper. I will finish it tomorrow.

2prwvlv.jpg

noah111

Still Alive
De-mon said:
Working in a new wallpaper. I will finish it tomorrow.

2prwvlv.jpg
Wow, beautiful. Like it even more than the U2 one, your method/style fits the Heavy Rain atmosphere a bit, works well. Looking forward to it. :D

~REPOST WITH FIXED LINKS~

-------------------------------------------------------------------

-UPDATE-

2v9p0fc.jpg

Download Tesla

29ll4ib.jpg

Download Kalsa

We’d also like to provide an update for the Aniom series – currently, work on the third theme is being put on hold until the release of firmware 3.0, for internal reasons. However, we should have 3.0 compatible versions of Aniom and Aniom Taiga (to reflect the time bar/status changes) on the day of 3.0’s release, so get us bookmarked if you haven’t already!

oi9ld2.jpg

Download Aniom v3 : 720p – 1080p

9rr3gk.jpg

Download Aniom Taiga v3 : 720p – 1080p

Incidentally, these will also work just fine on firmware 2.8 so there’s no reason to wait! Other than incorporating the new information bar, I’ve also tweaked the main icons to look shiny and crisp even on 720p – not just 1080p! As always, please download the version for the resolution you use, and note that if you’re running on an SD television, you can either use the 720p version (which should work fine), or wait a short while for an SD specific version.

Tesla and Kalsa are amazing themes! Can't believe he updated Taiga for 3.00. This guy is gold.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, has he already got 3.0, or has he remade the Aniom themes based on screenshots of 3.0? Either way, good job! I'll definitely download the new versions once the firmware is released.

Also getting the other two themes, they look great!

RoadHazard said:
So, has he already got 3.0, or has he remade the Aniom themes based on screenshots of 3.0? Either way, good job! I'll definitely download the new versions once the firmware is released.

Also getting the other two themes, they look great!

Yep, he's on the inside.

noah111

Still Alive
user friendly said:
-UPDATE-
http://i30.tinypic.com/oi9ld2.jpg[IMG]
[B]Download Aniom v3 : [URL="http://www.nyleveia.com/Themes/Aniom_v3_720.p3t"]720p[/URL] – [URL="http://www.nyleveia.com/Themes/Aniom_v3_1080.p3t"]1080p[/URL][/B]

[IMG]http://i26.tinypic.com/9rr3gk.jpg[IMG]
[B]Download Aniom Taiga v3 : [URL="http://www.nyleveia.com/Themes/AniomTaiga_v3_720.p3t"]720p[/URL] – [URL="http://www.nyleveia.com/Themes/AniomTaiga_v3_1080.p3t"]1080p[/URL][/B]

[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/2v9p0fc.jpg[IMG]
[URL="http://www.nyleveia.com/Themes/AniomTesla.p3t"][B]Download Tesla[/B][/URL]

[IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/29ll4ib.jpg[IMG]
[URL="http://www.nyleveia.com/Themes/AniomKalsa.p3t"][B]Download Kalsa[/B][/URL]

Tesla and Kalsa are amazing themes! Can't believe he updated Taiga for 3.00. This guy is gold.[/QUOTE]
[B]WOW[/B], this guy is great. I thought we would have to weight several weeks before we would see an update to the old themes. :lol Especially ike the Tesla/Kalsa themes, will be great for those who want the icons without the wallpaper/Aniom theme. Didn't know this guy had FW 3.0 either, that's awesome. :D

Hopefully he can answer the question if animated themes can be user-created.. imagine an Aniom theme that degrades over time, throughout the entire twelve months. Since he has 3.0 I would assume he would be able to create animated themes, whether it can be done publicly or not (since he's 'on the inside').

BTW for some reason I can't DL Aniom Taiga 1080p, it just redirects me to the posting..

Sentry said:
WOW, this guy is great. I thought we would have to weight several weeks before we would see an update to the old themes. :lol Especially ike the Tesla/Kalsa themes, will be great for those who want the icons without the wallpaper/Aniom theme. Didn't know this guy had FW 3.0 either, that's awesome. :D

Hopefully he can answer the question if animated themes can be user-created.. imagine an Aniom theme that degrades over time, throughout the entire twelve months. Since he has 3.0 I would assume he would be able to create animated themes, whether it can be done publicly or not (since he's 'on the inside').

BTW for some reason I can't DL Aniom Taiga 1080p, it just redirects me to the posting..
Great idea on the degrading aniom theme, I'll pass it along. Will fix that bad link, thanks!

Bad links are right on his site, not sure if he realizes but I'll let him know so he can fix.

~edit~

He's offline right now so I don't know how soon those bad links will get fixed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
He said they will be released when FW3 is out, same day.

What is so impressive about Tesla/Kalsa? It seems to be just black or white of the same icons, or am I missing something?

AndyD said:

What is so impressive about Tesla/Kalsa? It seems to be just black or white of the same icons, or am I missing something?
It was more of a request from me. I really liked the sub icons in Aniom and suggested that he do a theme based solely off of those icons. I think they look great, especially on the regular wave BG.

Also, he was planning on releasing the v3 themes when 3.00 released and for some reason he released them today. I'm just speculating here but maybe we'll see 3.00 later today.

noah111

Still Alive
AndyD said:
You sure about that? Aniom Stage 1 works I believe, and that has the FW3.0 edit/redesign.. It's just Stage 2 (Taiga) that isn't up, broken link I suppose.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
AndyD said:

"Incidentally, these will also work just fine on firmware 2.8 so there’s no reason to wait!" seems to imply that you can download them right now if you want to.

Only the Aniom Taiga v3 links seem to be broken, the Aniom v3 links give me the .p3t files.

Tesla/Kalsa have great looking icons, that's what's great about them!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sentry said:
You sure about that? Aniom Stage 1 works I believe, and that has the FW3.0 edit/redesign.. It's just Stage 2 (Taiga) that isn't up, broken link I suppose.

I was going off this:

However, we should have 3.0 compatible versions of Aniom and Aniom Taiga (to reflect the time bar/status changes) on the day of 3.0’s release, so get us bookmarked if you haven’t already!

But plans have obviously changed.

noah111

Still Alive
user friendly said:
Here's his latest post, explaining (not really) why he released them today.

Link
Bah, doesn't really look like animated themes will be user-generatable (for public) like the current themes are;

Nevada (Aniom Creator) said:
I currently have a test build with the new clock system, working towards a release for 3.00 compatibility for the day of release.
Also i've recently released Aniom Tesla, and Aniom Kalsa, icon only packs in white and black respectively, with matching styled main icons (as requested, userfriendly).

That said, theres a very high possibility that phase 3 will make use of the 3d background system once i have clearance on things on sonys side, but until that release, Aniom and Taiga will indeed be updated for fw 3.00, and should (that is, hopefully!), be released on the same day as 3.00

I may just be looking too into it, or it could be simply because he has an early version and has to run it by them to see if he can start working on an animated theme so early.. who knows, hopefully they can be user made but im having my doubts.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sentry said:
I may just be looking too into it, or it could be simply because he has an early version and has to run it by them to see if he can start working on an animated theme so early.. who knows, hopefully they can be user made but im having my doubts.

If its not wide open creation, at least I hope they get in touch with good devs in the public and give them the tools. modus, this guy and such, people who have proved they can make super nice stuff, not just random people who usually throw together crap.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sentry said:
Bah, doesn't really look like animated themes will be user-generatable (for public) like the current themes are;

That's a shame (but expected if you ask me, considering that the animated backgrounds seem to be made up of realtime 3D graphics), but in any case it's gonna be so awesome if he makes animated 3D versions of the Aniom themes!

noah111

Still Alive
RoadHazard said:
That's a shame (but expected if you ask me, considering that the animated backgrounds seem to be made up of realtime 3D graphics), but in any case it's gonna be so awesome if he makes animated 3D versions of the Aniom themes!
Yeah, sort of saw it coming. :\

I wonder how 'interactive' they'll be, since in the LBP theme sackboy would hop when you shake the controller. I'd love to see (like I said) a real time degrading Aniom animated theme, basically replacing the already developed stages and filling in the in betweens. Perhaps a visual cue somewhere on the theme as to what month it is, or a shadowing system based on the time of day.. so many possibilities with these animated themes.

~REPOST WITH FIXED LINKS~

-------------------------------------------------------------------

-UPDATE-

2v9p0fc.jpg

Download Tesla

29ll4ib.jpg

Download Kalsa

We’d also like to provide an update for the Aniom series – currently, work on the third theme is being put on hold until the release of firmware 3.0, for internal reasons. However, we should have 3.0 compatible versions of Aniom and Aniom Taiga (to reflect the time bar/status changes) on the day of 3.0’s release, so get us bookmarked if you haven’t already!

oi9ld2.jpg

Download Aniom v3 : 720p – 1080p

9rr3gk.jpg

Download Aniom Taiga v3 : 720p – 1080p

Incidentally, these will also work just fine on firmware 2.8 so there’s no reason to wait! Other than incorporating the new information bar, I’ve also tweaked the main icons to look shiny and crisp even on 720p – not just 1080p! As always, please download the version for the resolution you use, and note that if you’re running on an SD television, you can either use the 720p version (which should work fine), or wait a short while for an SD specific version.

Tesla and Kalsa are amazing themes! Can't believe he updated Taiga for 3.00. This guy is gold.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Edit your previou post and clear it out to prevent confusion. And thanks for the work. Tell him these themes are fantastic and we can't wait to see more.

AndyD said:
Edit your previou post and clear it out to prevent confusion. And thanks for the work. Tell him these themes are fantastic and we can't wait to see more.
Good call.

I'm sure he's lurking here as well but I've already told him how well it's being received, a couple diggs couldn't hurt.

Bump for update on 3.00 theme creator and suggestion about making Aniom degrade over time via new 3.00 themes.

user friendly said:
Someone thee had an awesome idea. Having Aniom degrade overtime in an animation loop. Probably way too much work and may not be possible (I don't know) but it was a great idea and thought I would pass it along, although you may have already thought about it.

Either way, great stuff. Best themes by far.

Nevada said:
At the moment it's a case of wait and see as far as custom interactive themes go, for the time being i don't think there's any official plan to release a newer compiler (other than for a few additional images), as far as interactivity in themes are concerned, unless i get the go ahead from Sony there's a few rather disappointing things that have to be said.

Firstly the icons remain the same format, while the backgrounds will change with time if setup to do so, the icons are always the same, fixed images with alpha, the only real change you will notice is that the backgrounds are dynamic for certain themes.
You can do the same with normal themes where the background image changes, but with a limited number of images, (where as dynamic themes will change gradually in brightness).

Secondly, much to my own frustration, the dynamic background system (using 3d models etc) doesn't look to be something they will allow us normal users to touch, perhaps they don't like the idea of a naked woman prancing about in the background, or just don't feel like anyone will have the time or patience to construct a theme that takes advantage of the dynamic functionality, either way right now we can't, and given the potential differences between sales that could be achived, i don't really see it happening in the future either.
To put it bluntly, good ps3 themes make people less likely to pay for the premium themes on the PlayStation store, and worse (for the developers at least), it isn't too hard to make a similar theme yourself and therein lies the rub, there isn't enough distinction between user made themes and developer/publisher made themes to really drive theme sales, this gap in terms of what you can do though has the potential to change that.

The short of it is this, if the dynamic themes sell like hotcakes, don't plan on seeing an updated theme tool in our lifetime, if nobody takes any interest in them, then maybe, just maybe, they would consider releasing an updated tool at some point in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.

Will let you know if i get any other details down.
Sucks but makes sense.

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm still waiting on the theme builder update, I keep praying they'll give us a way to build our own animated themes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
oi9ld2.jpg

Will download this as fast as I get my Slim.

alba said:
I'm still waiting on the theme builder update, I keep praying they'll give us a way to build our own animated themes.

Well, according to him, it doesn't seem like it's going to get an update for the general public.

Seiken said:
http://i30.tinypic.com/oi9ld2.jpg[/IM]

Will download this as fast as I get my Slim.[/QUOTE]

Give Taiga a shot, best theme I've had on my PS3 ever.

noah111

Still Alive
user friendly said:
Bump for update on 3.00 theme creator and suggestion about making Aniom degrade over time via new 3.00 themes.

Sucks but makes sense.
Yup, sucks but it's pretty much everything I was expecting tbh, especially in terms of official PS Store themes to generate $$.. I would never buy the themes they have up there now, most of them are standard icons with a wallpaper of whatever 'theme' that theme is, such anime etc. Let's just hope that the animated themes they pump out will actually be good, rather than the same garbage we see nowadays.

Top Bottom