• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Custom Theme Thread

noah111

Still Alive
user friendly said:
I'll let him know about the icon, thanks for mentioning it. I'm guessing it shows the default PlayTv icon?
Yeah, basically like the video icon with signal waves coming out of a corner.. by the way, what do you think the 4 'stages' to this theme imply, will the next two be the same but more evolved, like the metal totally rusted and leaves sprouting out of the metal? Or will it just be a totally new theme? Either way I can't wait for more of this stuff, art is art. :D

MrPliskin

Banned
tha_con said:
I'm currently working on an Indiana Jones theme :D

preview3.jpg

Did anything ever come of this? Anyone know?

Sentry said:
Yeah, basically like the video icon with signal waves coming out of a corner.. by the way, what do you think the 4 'stages' to this theme imply, will the next two be the same but more evolved, like the metal totally rusted and leaves sprouting out of the metal? Or will it just be a totally new theme? Either way I can't wait for more of this stuff, art is art. :D

No clue, he said he's making a theme based around the sub icons in Aniom, which is awesome. It's what I like most about these themes. The main icons in Taiga are money though.

i-Lo

Some exceedingly talent artists working here as evident from the results.

While making a theme I think it's important for the icons to convey relevance of their function to a degree unless it's not aiming to be totally abstract (best example I have found on a very short notice is Aniom Taiga)

Moobabe

Is anyone else having trouble downloading these straight from the ps3 browser? I click on the link but just get some jargon.

No45

Moobabe said:
Is anyone else having trouble downloading these straight from the ps3 browser? I click on the link but just get some jargon.
Usually means the web server serving the file doesn't have the MIME type correctly defined. If it's not fixed, just download it to a USB stick and install it from there.

Bit of an update and answered questions:

At this point in time the PlayTV icon and it's sub icon share the same icon resource, sony have not yet given the functionality of customizing the sub icon, so whatever icon i use for the main icon ends up used for the sub icon as well, due to the nature of Aniom's main icons it means that the TV icon ends up being shown within the sub icon area, so for me it was a toss between having two of the main icons (one of which looks horribly wrong when not sat on the main bar), and allowing the theme to display the TV sub icon as the main icon (which, while it breaks the flow, doesn't look as bad).

Also to answer some of the questions, the 4 stages Aniom will have does imply that there are 2 more to come, these will take the current state (taiga), and further transform the theme, Taiga represents weathering and time, the next stage represents the power of nature to take back spaces left by man (or alien, little hint there!), and the final stage will represent rebirth, which at that point will allow a transition to the next theme, Bioralys.

Each theme i make will have these stages, i find it a little more interesting (and fun) to have stages of the same theme than just a single one.
I'm not yet sure just how many themes i will be doing over the next few months, but I'm going to work my ass off at raising the bar each time.

As for the sub icon based theme, i will be doing that more of an offshoot for people that just want those and their own backgrounds (though i will provide a basic one with the theme for completeness), there will be two versions, white, and black, i should point out that the sub icons will change each time the initial theme name changes, so when we reach Bioralys, they will be completely different.

noah111

Still Alive
user friendly said:
Bit of an update and answered questions:
NICE, so it's just as I thought, each 'stage' of this Aniom theme represent time passing and nature cracking through. :D So awesome, really artistic as well not only in the design but the idea itself.. love it.

If I read it right, after Aniom's four stages are over he will be making another theme (Bioralys?) as the next 'step' of this themes stages?

Damn, mad props to this guy, I love that all of his themes will have various stages, almost makes me wish there were some type of theme playlist/automatic updating or something..

I'm still using the Aniom Taiga theme, I just can't go back to the default after seeing that broken glass clock capsule in the corner. :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
So what do you guys think? Will the animated themes also be editable? Or will they be premium only?

What ideas do you guys have?

I already saw a few good ones in various threads:

- the wipeout HD menu,
- all black with Old Snake smoking and moving forward out of the shadows,
- loco rocos moving around,
- a GT5 garage/pit with a car driving in, gets worked on, drives off, another car drives in and so forth, cycling a few different cars.

noah111

Still Alive
The possibilities are pretty endless if they can be user-generated. I'm sure that would be quite a complex process, but if it can be done and pros get working on it we can end up seeing some truly wicked stuff.

One of the animated themes I hope Sony puts out is the earth music visualizer, or something similar to that. Someone has also suggested a Flower theme where the day/night and seasons change dynamically.. Like I said, a ton of possibilities.

Thing that sucks about it is these backgrounds are also packaged with the whole icon set, would have been nice if you could only apply certain parts of the theme.. Hopefully (if they can be user made) the community will learn to put up multiple versions with and without their custom icons.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sentry said:
The possibilities are pretty endless if they can be user-generated. I'm sure that would be quite a complex process, but if it can be done and pros get working on it we can end up seeing some truly wicked stuff.

One of the animated themes I hope Sony puts out is the earth music visualizer, or something similar to that. Someone has also suggested a Flower theme where the day/night and seasons change dynamically.. Like I said, a ton of possibilities.

Thing that sucks about it is these backgrounds are also packaged with the whole icon set, would have been nice if you could only apply certain parts of the theme.. Hopefully (if they can be user made) the community will learn to put up multiple versions with and without their custom icons.

Interesting. So its no longer separate icons and backgrounds? I wonder if text color changes will finally come.

AndyD said:
So what do you guys think? Will the animated themes also be editable? Or will they be premium only?

What ideas do you guys have?

I already saw a few good ones in various threads:

- the wipeout HD menu,
- all black with Old Snake smoking and moving forward out of the shadows,
- loco rocos moving around,
- a GT5 garage/pit with a car driving in, gets worked on, drives off, another car drives in and so forth, cycling a few different cars.

I would assume that Sony would have to put out a new set of tools for users to make the animated themes, no? I guess the ball is in their court in regards to that.....

Also, I can just think of some of the awesome video game gifs i've seen (some of the killzone 2 ones specifically) that would be pretty awesome "rezed up" and put into an animated theme.

I also hope you can have more than one animation, similar to the same way that most themes have more than 1 wallpaper that they cycle through

androvsky

The only way I see the animated themes allowing for user-generated content is if Sony puts out a theme that loops a video clip, or does a slideshow of some sort. The animated themes I've seen look like programs, similar to a PC's screensaver. I'd be quite astonished if Sony releases an animated theme SDK so we can code our own.

Raist

Banned
androvsky said:
The only way I see the animated themes allowing for user-generated content is if Sony puts out a theme that loops a video clip, or does a slideshow of some sort. The animated themes I've seen look like programs, similar to a PC's screensaver. I'd be quite astonished if Sony releases an animated theme SDK so we can code our own.

Yeah, it doesn't look like a GIF or movie clip, but something with a regular backgroud and 3D bits rendered in real time. So getting user generated themes with this kind of stuff is probably not going to happen.
On this topic, I wonder what happens with ingame XMB. It's already kinda slow with regular themes, so with animated ones it might be worse, unless they are "paused".

noah111

Still Alive
androvsky said:
It sure would, im doubting Sony will even allow us to create custom animated themes tbh. Plus it gives them an advantage with premium animated themes if they can't be user-generated. :\

Balboa

Ploid 3.0 said:
I'd be glad with those awesome wallpapers for it until you finish everything else. The wallpapers please, I'm begging you man! I just want them on my ps3 and pc. Thought about stretching the small ones you posted but that wasn't good.

8b8wzsh.jpg
Me too, I'd love to have these for my pc desktop but I guess he would have posted them by now if he wanted to release them early!

Any hope of that happening at all De-mon?

WTFing

Banned
Balboa said:
Me too, I'd love to have these for my pc desktop but I guess he would have posted them by now if he wanted to release them early!

Any hope of that happening at all De-mon?
Too good to be free.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
~Devil Trigger~ said:
so how will the animated Themes work?

will there be an upgrade to the Theme app

I hope. It would be nice to see what some people do with it.

WTFing

Banned
De-mon said:
Yeah, of course
some day, I hope soon.

Capcom, pay me!!! :lol
I hope that you can make some money with it, why not?
But if you don't care, please share the SF wallpaper at 1080p. Don't worry about the theme, we will all use it. :D

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The Aniom themes are exceptional! I usually don't like themes with icons that don't show which XMB item on the horizontal row is which, but these are just too good looking to not use. I would personally have liked a bit larger icons for video files (the default video icon, for files without preview thumbnails), but that's just a small nitpick.

RoadHazard said:
The Aniom themes are exceptional! I usually don't like themes with icons that don't show which XMB item on the horizontal row is which, but these are just too good looking to not use. I would personally have liked a bit larger icons for video files (the default video icon, for files without preview thumbnails), but that's just a small nitpick.

I love how small those icons are. He's making a theme based off those icons, I can't wait. It's been awhile now since the last update too, so I hope something is coming soon.

I only have one question about the new XMB in 3.00. Will the clock go back to the way it is now when you select classic XMB or will it stay the same (with the ticker and border? If it doesn't go back to what it is now, that kind of changes things but I guess it's an easy workaround.

noah111

Still Alive
user friendly said:
I love how small those icons are. He's making a theme based off those icons, I can't wait. It's been awhile now since the last update too, so I hope something is coming soon.

I only have one question about the new XMB in 3.00. Will the clock go back to the way it is now when you select classic XMB or will it stay the same (with the ticker and border? If it doesn't go back to what it is now, that kind of changes things but I guess it's an easy workaround.
Pretty sure the 'original' and 'classic theme options only change what the background wave looks like, not the actual OS visuals. That border might be a problem if it doesn't go away when using other themes though. :/

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sentry said:
Pretty sure the 'original' and 'classic theme options only change what the background wave looks like, not the actual OS visuals. That border might be a problem if it doesn't go away when using other themes though. :/

Unless it is part of themes, like the box around the notification messages. Which would make a ton of sense.

noah111

Still Alive
AndyD said:
Unless it is part of themes, like the box around the notification messages. Which would make a ton of sense.
You're right, hopefully that border is part of the theme, but I mean the notifications (friends online, unread messages etc) are probably there to stay since they're part of the OS and all..

Sentry said:

I was hoping it would remove the store icon located under every icon now too, I hope it changes it back to what it is right now. If it's just the background, then that's jerky.

noah111

Still Alive
user friendly said:
I was hoping it would remove the store icon located under every icon now too, I hope it changes it back to what it is right now. If it's just the background, then that's jerky.
That's doubtful, but I sort of wish it would too. The store icon under both the video game and PSN sections is kind of... annoying. Guess I can see why the did it though, with the store shortcuts and whatnot. I'll get used to it, but the store icon definitely needs a refresh, it's pretty ugly and outdated by now IMO.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sentry said:
That's doubtful, but I sort of wish it would too. The store icon under both the video game and PSN sections is kind of... annoying. Guess I can see why the did it though, with the store shortcuts and whatnot. I'll get used to it, but the store icon definitely needs a refresh, it's pretty ugly and outdated by now IMO.

I agree. I don't mind it being present elsewhere as much as I want it to be user changeable as it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Its also good that it seems to be more dynamic as its popup now seems to give you the latest stuff with quick jump mini icons. So I can scroll to games, store, then to the minipopup for a certain new demo and I am jumping straight to it in the store. Less rifling through pages of DLC for games I don't have and never will get.

As to the new info at top right, I think it will be always on, the friends on, clock... unless they give us the option to turn it off.

I also hope, now that we are getting animated themes, for animated screensavers that make the XMB icons fade out and leave just an animated screensaver appearing, like a globe slowly spinning, a waterfall, an aquarium...

Balboa

Is that Photo Gallery icon still under pictures? I wish they'd put stuff like that on the Store instead because I have no interest in it and would prefer if it wasn't stuck there on the XMB.

EDIT: Just realised this is probably the wrong thread for that question, the last few replies threw me :lol

noah111

Still Alive
AndyD said:
I agree. I don't mind it being present elsewhere as much as I want it to be user changeable as it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Its also good that it seems to be more dynamic as its popup now seems to give you the latest stuff with quick jump mini icons. So I can scroll to games, store, then to the minipopup for a certain new demo and I am jumping straight to it in the store. Less rifling through pages of DLC for games I don't have and never will get.

I also hope, now that we are getting animated themes, for animated screensavers that make the XMB icons fade out and leave just an animated screensaver appearing, like a globe slowly spinning, a waterfall, an aquarium...
Yeah, pretty much. The icon matches the look of the old store, which was (for those who don't remember) a hideous webpage like store, now that the PSN has a new look and feel i'd like for a sleeker updated icon.

I also agree on the screensaver front, even having it simply make the icons disappear to show the wallpaper/xmb wave would be nice.. the PSPgo has a cool XMB fade animation when you slide it down, something like that would be suitable.

Balboa said:
EDIT: Just realised this is probably the wrong thread for that question, the last few replies threw me :lol
You're right, sorry. :lol Definitely should slide the discussion to the FW 3.0 thread.

BTW for those anticipating the next stage of the Aniom theme, im sure the creator is waiting out for FW3.0, especially with the new placement of the clock and whatnot, he'll have to make some adjustments in order for it to fit right.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sentry said:
BTW for those anticipating the next stage of the Aniom theme, im sure the creator is waiting out for FW3.0, especially with the new placement of the clock and whatnot, he'll have to make some adjustments in order for it to fit right.

I hope he'll go back and fix the first two stages as well, so I can keep using them without the top right corner looking weird.

Top Bottom