• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black S4 |OT| Welcome to the block - June 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayumi

Oh wow, I thought there was only one episode up lol. I've never watched a season this close to it going live on Netflix before. Is this how it usually works?
Yeah, it's a Netflix original, and those usually have all episodes duped online at once. It's pretty nice. :3

Sanjuro

Watched the first two episodes. Starting to feel like the show is off the rails creatively. Hope the season improves.

Actors are still great. Just in the broader scheme I've enjoyed the program more when it's less focused on all prison narratives.

Dereck

....I don't understand or remember how Chapan or anyone besides her thinks she has so much power, I'm on episode 3.

Don't spoil me though, don't spoil, don't spoil

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
....I don't understand or remember how Chapan or anyone besides her thinks she has so much power, I'm on episode 3.

If you go back and watch the season three finale, you'll see she's on a power high from what she did in that episode. ^_^

Zero315

Banned

It's because of her running the panty business and getting Stella sent to max for stealing from her at the end of season 3.

Edit: Just starting episode 11 and man... This season has been pretty fucked up.

Dereck

If you go back and watch the season three finale, you'll see she's on a power high from what she did in that episode. ^_^

It's because of her running the panty business and getting Stella sent to max for stealing from her at the end of season 3.

Edit: Just starting episode 11 and man... This season has been pretty fucked up.
Aight, aight

u0LzYQo.gif

SaintZ

Episode 12..

I can't. A damn mess. I mean I felt someone was going to bite it (I was thinking that cop since the flashbacks were focused on him) but I wasn't expecting THAT outcome... They couldn't have killed Poussey, could they?

Humphrey is so sick, dammit, I want him DEAD.

It's nice to see the inmates working together for a common goal... I'm intrigued... I don't know how this is going to end.

Episode 12..

I can't. A damn mess. I mean I felt someone was going to bite it (I was thinking that cop since the flashbacks were focused on him) but I wasn't expecting THAT outcome... They couldn't have killed Poussey, could they?

Humphrey is so sick, dammit, I want him DEAD.

It's nice to see the inmates working together for a common goal... I'm intrigued... I don't know how this is going to end.

Well the ending is pretty good. I think.

Afrocious

Finished S4.

As someone who thought S2 was the best, S4 goes along with it. Piper's arc is actually interesting though she's a complete idiot for about half of it. Let's just say I haven't cared about her since S1 and S4 made her a tolerable character again by making her reap what she has sown.

Of course, what makes OitNB is the cast outside of Piper. Their stories in S4 are either continuations from what we know from previous seasons or brand new backstories. S4 comes across as the climax of a lot threads we've gotten so far, but I'll keep hushed about that.

OitNB has always been socially aware, but nowhere to the degree like it is in S4. The prison being run by a for-profit company snowballs into what I felt was the most rational and terrifying result, considering these prisoners are women of different races, ethnicities, and backgrounds.

By the end, I will say I was tearing up a few times. You can argue that some things are hamfisted and sort of predictable, but the story does coalesce the theme of how pure goodness can and will be destroyed by institutional infrastructures. This hits home by the depictions of what these women have to go through.

VAD

Episode 4:
Holy shit Lolly is ultra insane. Kudos to whomever is writing her dialogues and the actress playing her. Also, I don't know if I must hate Healy or root for him? Life has dealt him a shitty hand but is that a reason for being an asshole?

Afrocious

Episode 4:
Holy shit Lolly is ultra insane. Kudos to whomever is writing her dialogues and the actress playing her. Also, I don't know if I must hate Healy or root for him? Life has dealt him a shitty hand but is that a reason for being an asshole?

Lolly's later scenes can be tear-jerkers.

For Healy, I never liked him at all in the show due to his sexist beliefs. A later episode in S4 that's huge for his arc sort of acts as a reset for him.

Asbel

Lolly's later scenes can be tear-jerkers.

For Healy, I never liked him at all in the show due to his sexist beliefs. A later episode in S4 that's huge for his arc sort of acts as a reset for him.
Healy and Caputo are good people at heart, they genuinely want to help, but fuck it up anyway.

Carl

So is it better than series 3? I really enjoyed 1 and 2 but i thought 3 was absolutely awful. Is 4 an improvement?

WeTeHa

I just finished episode 7. That ending was.... something else. Damn. Really like the Healy-Whitehill story arc so far.

jrcbandit

I never finished Season 3, but I'm enjoying Season 4 allot more than what I saw of S3 so far, so I suggest giving it a try if you disliked S3 like me.

Episode 7
the picturing of Lolly's schizophrenic voices is incredible livid and accurate.

Best season already for me and a pleasant surprise after the bore fest S3 was

Arkeband

Banned
The writing seems to ignore anachronisms or pop culture references the inmates shouldn't make.

"Winter is coming", y'all don't have HBO in prison, get the fuck out.

On episode 6 and this season is still leaps and bounds ahead of S3.

Gotta say, season 4 is my favorite, definitely. At one point I was kind of really enjoying 3, but I think that this enjoyment is legit. Leave it to OITNB to
kill off my favorite character in the entire show though. Seriously, I did not see that shit coming, and maybe that was what caused me to have such a strange, delayed reaction to it. Like, I actually had a feeling of numbness after it happened. I was in denial about it too until the guy said that she had no vitals.

The writing seems to ignore anachronisms or pop culture references the inmates shouldn't make.

"Winter is coming", y'all don't have HBO in prison, get the fuck out.

On episode 6 and this season is still leaps and bounds ahead of S3.

Books, y'all. Don't be racist

Zero315

Banned
Gotta say, season 4 is my favorite, definitely. At one point I was kind of really enjoying 3, but I think that this enjoyment is legit. Leave it to OITNB to
kill off my favorite character in the entire show though. Seriously, I did not see that shit coming, and maybe that was what caused me to have such a strange, delayed reaction to it. Like, I actually had a feeling of numbness after it happened. I was in denial about it too until the guy said that she had no vitals.

Episode 12-13:
Yes! I was so mad, she was my favorite character and she finally had a storyline where she was happy!! I cried so hard at the end of episode 12, then in episode 13 when they wouldn't move her body... It broke me.

KarmaCow

Healy and Caputo are good people at heart, they genuinely want to help, but fuck it up anyway.

Caputo maybe, and I haven't finished the season but in the past the problem with both Healy and Caputo are ultimately sacrificing for others with the expectation they will get rewarded. Few people in the world are actually selfless of course but both are the "nice guy" nightmares that feel like they're owed respect. There was an entire episode last season with Caputo putting himself on the cross despite no one asking him (or even telling him not to do it) and then getting pissed when he felt like others weren't thanking him enough for the self sacrifice. Healy is even more extreme example and he doesn't have the charm or social awareness that Caputo does to soften the assholeness.

Breads

Banned

Yeah...
I was waiting for her to spring up or something at any moment and I didn't finally "get" it until she was carted off the next day. I actually didn't like this aspect of the season though. From a cultural standpoint it's a relevant issue and important scene people need to see and using one of their more popular characters to do it is a way to get noticed but at the same time deaths in a serial are often done as a cheap way to manipulate the audience and although the sendoff was heartfelt I, well, wish it didn't happen. Not to her. When she had her future prospects established I knew something was going to happen to bring her down but I did not see this coming.

Finished the season....damn. Show got it's swagger back.

My only real problem this season was
Maria going from timid to running the prison because of her drug connection. IIRC, she was pretty background in previous seasons and it comes off as unbelievable as Piper running the prison.

Jonbo298

Episode 12 finished and
No... Please no.... ;(

Burset's return was incredibly anti-climactic considering how many were concerned about her in SHU. I expected a celebration similar to when Nichols returned.

Just finished watching the season. I'm an emotional wreck.

I can't believe Poussey is gone, shocked my system, loved this character. And Daya, I was hoping for the best for her as well, but I can't believe she picked up the gun, she should of let Maria pick it up or have it, now shes done. This entire season was a cluster fuck. Next season can only get worse from here. I mean unless the prisoners end up running Litchfield. I just don't know. I'm all over the place.

But that was a hell of a season.

Just finished episode 12.
Holy fuck, that ending. I knew someone was going to have to die when they stood on the tables, but I thought it might be the captain going out of control and killing an inmate. Still don't get the point of Baxter's flashbacks (maybe show why he would work? He briefly sympathized with an inmate during a five second interaction), it just seems they scrape the barrel half of the time when it comes to them. I want flashbacks of how they ended up in prison, but the flashbacks just focus on some tragic part of an inmate's life and then pretty much nothing happens.

There are signs of Morello's old lying of her supposedly good life self resorting. The baby talk, her making out like the fight never happened to the inmates and the paranoia getting the best of her.

While I'm upset Poussey died, I only realized when Taystee was crying that they really put their friendship on the backburner, I can't think of a single one-on-one scene that they had at all this season.

This season has been really good. If the finale lands it home, it would probably go 1>4>2>3 for me.

Ten episodes in, Piper still the weakest character. Wish they'd pull a Sean Bean on her

Edit: also someone needs to fix the intros audio mix. It's always so loud compared to the rest of the show

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm not sure how I feel about the season as a whole, but it's quite the ride. All episodes spoiler:
Does anyone else think the show made almost all the veterans look like assholes? The woman was the clear exception. There were some instances of hesitation, but as a whole it painted them in a bad light. I'm sure there was some meaning about the effects of war, but the writers did an incredibly poor job illustrating it.

I think the for profit prison was a little ham-fisted at times, but overall got the message out. The cold, dehumanizing attitude is exaggerated but not that far from the truth I imagine. I'm pretty sure it would have been a crime to not call the police soon after Poussey's death.

I'm ambivalent about Donuts. I want to hate him for being a rapist, but the show works against demonizing people for mistakes. Pennsatucky did kill someone and attempted murdering Piper in season 1.

That ending had my heart pounding, something that never happens to me watching any series. Big cliffhangers like that suck, but I suppose when you're guaranteed three more seasons it's easy to fall back on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom