• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black S3 |OT| The third coming - *S3 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epcott

Finished this a day ago.

Much better than the mess that was season 2. I don't understand how people say this season was all filler though. There's some great character progression all the way up to the final.

Not sure of the outcome with Voss. It's left a bit ambiguous, and it's easy to write her off as a gonner, but you can never tell with this show.

Bennett left and never looked back. I don't blame him after seeing Dayanara's home. Although, he could have at least found a way to have taken custody of the child.

Good to see Caputo dug himself out of self loathing and underdog worship to take the Warden role. It sucked seeing his staff leave, but they were dragging their heels (and starting a union never ends well).

Also good to see a few people found love and friends. People I couldn't stand last season (Soso, Doggett, and Crazy Eyes) definitely deserved the mellowing out.

Piper's transition to a boss was pretty laughable.

I'm guessing by next season, we'll see Piper and Voss' point of view to see what they were up to during the Freedom Lake dip.

All in all, it was great! But I expect to see each character's respective arc (mentioned in the spoiler) blow up in their faces in some way... especially Piper and Caputo.

That depression stuff with Soso was pretty intense.

And how when she was talking after taking all those meds how slow her speaking was compared to normal.

Shes really messed up.

Just finished Episode 9.
Damn Piper, you get Alex back in prison either because you thought it'd keep her safe (which was stupid) or just to get your fuck buddy back (uber bitchy), you brush her off when she's (rightfully) worried about getting shanked, then go kissing British girl? That's cold, bitch, real cold.

Not that I blame her, Ruby Red is smokin' hot.

Lol she's Australian, they even say in the show /facepalm

Blablurn

I think Season 3 is a social experiment

"Just how average can we at Netflix make a series without pissing off the people?"

Just finished this season. What the hell is going on? Like no climax, no interesting red line that is moving throughout the season... just a TV show. Average.

max_505

IMO, it's S1 > S3 > S2

I loved this season. Especially with (whole season spoilers)
Piper's storyline. She one badass prison girl now, even though what she did to Stella (Ruby Rose) was ice cold. But that won't matter because Ruby Rose was smokin' hot.

Nothing can top
S2's Rosa making roadkill out of Vee while "Don't Fear the Reaper" is playing in the background, though.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad they managed to get
Rosa in there, even if it was just a small cameo in Caputo's flashback.

Panzon

Caputo has become my favorite character. He made the season likeable for me but boy has this show gone down hill fast. I'm up to episode 11 but aside from a few moments of chuckle there hasn't really been any substance that keeps the show as one. The story feels like its going nowhere (from what I've seen thus far and the shit with the
new management
).

I'm really hoping season 4 gets back to it's original roots or at least introduce a villain like Vee. I'm so sick and tired of the Piper/Alex thing. They're so annoying and make the show drag

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Vee was an awful villain. Entirely one dimensional, and only there to stir up drama for the sake of drama. Red in season one was the better villain.

Five

Banned
I want to jump onto the Vee hate train. This season was much better for her absence.

I miss
Bennett
as a character, but that abrupt absence makes it all the more poignant to me.

Daya's pregnancy going on forever is really the only part of this season that I didn't like. I get that they're sticking to a realistic timeline and gestation period, but she didn't need to have such a prominent role in the second half of the season.

Sch1sm

I'm not done the season yet, but holy, was episode 10 a trip. Poor
Dogette.
No breaks for that girl.

Then entire
Alex situation with her "stalker" has left me thoroughly confused, now. The NSA? What. Just what.

So far, I feel underwhelmed. I dunno. I suppose it's more a collection of stories rather than a singular one that should be hitting falling action now. It isn't bad or anything. I just expected more.

Mike M

Nick N
Then entire
Alex situation with her "stalker" has left me thoroughly confused, now. The NSA? What. Just what.
Lolly is stalking Alex because she's crazy and delusional, not because a drug lord put her there to kill Alex

Roussow

(episode 10 spoilers) Two back-to-back
rape
scenes was really rough to watch,
and to think people thought Game of Thrones was bad in this regard

(episode 10)
Two back-to-back
rape
scenes was really rough to watch,
and to think people thought Game of Thrones was bad in this regard

Yeah.

That was probably the most disturbing moment of television I've seen. The look on her eyes just showed s much pain and betrayal.

gaiages

Banned
Lol she's Australian, they even say in the show /facepalm

Eh, I was too distracted by her beauty to notice what they were saying ;D

I even forgot her name for a while, I'm not surprised I messed her ethnicity up

Finished the season. Not sure how to feel about the whole thing, I'll probably post thoughts later :3

General S3 thoughts: Surprised to see so many people so down on this season, as the laid-back slice-of-life pacing is something it seemed suited for from the start. I thought the first three episodes were a little weak, but 4-6 picked the slack way up and were overall great. At that point the arc for the season came to the fore as the show finally committed fully to being an ensemble rather than a point-of-view piece for Piper. Frankly, I think that's super, as this show's strongest aspect is its massive cast of dozens (!) of characters, most of whom are compelling and distinctive. (And for the record, I still love Piper.)

I love that they dug more fully into characters like (light spoilers for 4-6)
Boo and Flaca, people who have had a lot of presence from the start but never really got to take center stage, while giving Chang a storyline that centered around her invisibility to the others - reflecting her invisibility to the audience as well - was kinda brilliant.

There are things I could complain about here, but the good definitely outweighs the bad. Considered as a show I have liked but never loved from the start, season 3 is probably my favorite yet as the cast and humor continue to grow on me. Helps that it's funny as all hell too: I, for one, would really like to read Time Hump Chronicles.

Echoes my feelings exactly. A subtle and plot-lite return to form after last season's disappointing arc.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Episode one was great. Next two were slow. Episode four picks it up. I'm liking the season thus far.

Man I hate the prego girl's story, its just soooo boring, I hope its done by the end of the season, dont want to sit through another season of this shit.

Besides that, im loving this season sooo much

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yes.

I love that this show is using all these new and old actresses. Clara from BTTF, molly(chick from chicago and black glasses) was Kit in a league of their own.
God damn I keep forgetting that was Lori Petty. That's one of my favorite movies of all time too. Jon Lovitz killing it in that movie; "See the grass cowgirls... don't eat it"

finished the season!!

it was a pretty good season but had its issues, felt like a lot of it was filler. also spoilers for season 3:
wtf happened to benett? did he have another acting gig that was better than this one so he just decided to dip for like half the season or what? dont get me wrong, his story along with diana is without a doubt the worst one in the show, im just saying it was a bit weird

Christopher

How is it only 13 episodes for this show I thought it was getting more.

Also even though Vee was one dimensional it's still awesome to have a villain to root against

Thoughts:

1. Definitely my favourite season, going 3 > 1 > 2 (with 1 and 2 being pretty close together).

2. I don't really miss Bennett. Not only am I kind of realizing in hindsight that his stuff was so often a drag, I'm actually finding Daya a lot more interesting without him and that awful melodramatic song that plays whenever they are together.

3. Sad that Sophia's shit didn't get resolved. To be honest, it surprises me that people don't think that this season was really rough enough considering how fucked up Sophia was treated by both inmates and the system.

4. The prison industry stuff was a bit hammed up, but it's certainly not as if it's far off from reality.

5. I enjoyed Ruby Rose's acting, but I thought Stella was kind of dull. She at least beats...

6. Fucking Piper. I don't hate the character at all, Taylor Shilling is a fine actress, but shit her arc in this season was so blah! The character simply doesn't work in this role, and I hope they either get rid of her or get rid of the arc.

7. Boo and Pennsatucky scenes were great. It made me like both of them a lot more, and you feel for them as they grow as family.

8. I really enjoy Caputo. He seems like a guy who tries to do good but only gets fucked. I was worried that he was going too far with Daya and Bennett early on, but he evened out - except for his selfishness at the end.

9. I really hope that we get the guards back at least midway through Season 4. I suppose it would give the new guards some screen time.

There are a lot of things to say, probably things that were just as important to mention, but eh

Good show, sucks that I have to wait another damn year!

How is it only 13 episodes for this show I thought it was getting more.

Also even though Vee was one dimensional it's still awesome to have a villain to root against

I dunno about that; what about
the system? While this wasn't so much the inmates' fight, they did a lot of stuff with the guards and Caputo fighting the new system as it fucked things over. Heck, let's not also forget that Sophia got totally fucked by the system. To me, the prison corporation is a good villain to go along with Pennsatucky in S1 and Vee in S2.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what develops in Season 4 with the
Donut Rapist and the assassin.

Spaced33

This season was terrible. It was so overwhelmingly boring that I found myself falling asleep a few times. They really need to improve their story lines for next season. Piper has also become a complete ass and is annoying to watch. Very disappointed.

On Episode 9.

They'e reeeeaally reaching with some of these origin stories.
Most notably making Leanne Amish.

As someone who grew up in Ohio's Amish Country, "Leanne Taylor" is about the least Amish name I've ever heard in my entire life. Which makes it obvious they just pulled that entire backstory out of their asses and it wasn't something that was originally intended for the character.

On Episode 9.

They'e reeeeaally reaching with some of these origin stories.
Most notably making Leanne Amish.

As someone who grew up in Ohio's Amish Country, "Leanne Taylor" is about the least Amish name I've ever heard in my entire life. Which makes it obvious they just pulled that entire backstory out of their asses and it wasn't something that was originally intended for the character.

i still loved it tho, tho

4. The prison industry stuff was a bit hammed up, but it's certainly not as if it's far off from reality.

There's far worse stuff going on in reality.

Just to mention one, Hawaii contracted their female prisoners to be shipped to a private prison in Kentucky. As if that wasn't bad enough, then they had to bring them all back because of sexual abuse by the guards.

Great quote from the Corrections Corporation of America spokesperson: "We've been proud of our services for the women in our care".

Just finished the series last night. I loved this season. I've enjoyed every season, but I'd have to say season 3 and 1 have been my favorites.

I care about all the women in the show, but as others have said I find the Piper stuff probably the least interesting. Once Piper's story is finished, I would love to watch a spin-off show with the rest of the cast.

Season 3 was great to me. Way better than 2 and I don't even think you need a massive overarching story on a character show.

More excited for Season 4 than I was going into season 3. The only terrible part of the season to me was the
Norma Cult

Finished the season over the weekend. I ended up really enjoying the season as a whole, but I feel like it was a lot weeker than the last two in the season long arch department. It did great with the characters and their individual episodes, but the season as a whole didn't really resolve anything and really just opened up more things to deal with later.

I am really hoping the new inmates are going to be the "bad characters", otherwise the show is kind of comical at this point with how everyone is so good in their backstory and just a victim of their past overall. I can't even hate on Pensitucky at this point? Come on!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The new girl is stunning, my lord!

Enosh

The new girl is stunning, my lord!
I can't be the only one that finds her unattractive can I? there just seems something so "off" with her, not even sure how to describe it

someone like Flaca or Maritza are way way more attractive to me

MC Safety

I can't be the only one that finds her unattractive can I? there just seems something so "off" with her, not even sure how to describe it

someone like Flaca or Maritza are way way more attractive to me

She's kind of androgynous, and that doesn't appeal to some people. It's just a preference.

I thought season three the weakest of the three. What struck me was how overlong and pointless the Norma storyline was. I thought about stopping when her followers started worshiping the
I feel patently ridiculous putting "piece of toast" in spoiler text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom