• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black S3 |OT| The third coming - *S3 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

She's kind of androgynous, and that doesn't appeal to some people. It's just a preference.

I thought season three the weakest of the three. What struck me was how overlong and pointless the Norma storyline was. I thought about stopping when her followers started worshiping the
I feel patently ridiculous putting "piece of toast" in spoiler text.

Agreed on the Norma thing. It was a bit crazy, and I didn't see it lead to
any development of Soso or Poussey, even though they both got plenty of shit from her followers over time. The toast was incredibly stupid, knowing that Leanne was a person of faith before prison doesn't change how stupid her "clinging" to some higher being is when she starts looking to freaking toast.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I can't be the only one that finds her unattractive can I? there just seems something so "off" with her, not even sure how to describe it

someone like Flaca or Maritza are way way more attractive to me

I think she's gorgeous, the prettiest on the show even. I really hope those tattoos are fake though, they're so ugly.

soco

I just finished this today. I think this was definitely better than season 2, and the funniest of all.

I could've done with a bit more editing, especially on
the flashbacks. some of them were too long without any value from them.

I thought the first half of the episodes were great, but then some of the stories started to drag on and get tiresome.
especially the Norma one. I felt like that was worse than reading the Narnia books after the age of 12
. I also could've done without the
horribly slow climb of Caputo and the son of the MCC guy

As some of the others have said, the references were over the top. Some were well-placed, but some of it just sounded more like a high-school essay than dialogue. Some parts got a little too preachy and pointless at times.

Overall, though, the humor in many parts was top tier. Crazy-eyes' subplot was genius. Laughed a ton and got a lot of good quotes to share with friends.
the moon

liquidtmd

Banned
Two episodes in - does it get better? It feels very meandering and pointless at this stage. Watchable still but it feels quite disjointed coming off Series 2.

I liked Piper before but Christ she's the weakest link right now by far

Porcile

Watched it all. The six or so episodes are really bad. I don't even remember a single one of them, maybe that one about
the bed bugs
. Thankfully, it picks up a lot towards the back end of the season, but yeah, a really weak start.

There's definitely something off about the characterisation though. Something which I liked about Season 1 especially, was how well it portrayed the drudgery of prison-life and how a lot of the characters felt like were hugely flawed individuals, even if they were very likable. I don't want to say criminals, because they're doing their time, but you know what I mean. Now, you'd be hard pressed to find a character who isn't portrayed sympathetically, maybe only
Aleida and Piper
? You find yourself wanting to go to women's prison. It looks like a lot of fun...

Anyway, even though the ending was totally hammy and ridiculous, it really moved me. By the end there's: a lot of great stories which get resolved, it's really fucking funny, and there's some amazing characters (even if they are now more unrealistic) but I'd be hard pressed to say the show compels me now in the same way S1+2 did. I will definitely be back for Season 4 though.

liquidtmd

Banned
Watched it all. The six or so episodes are really bad. I don't even remember a single one of them, maybe that one about
the bed bugs
. Thankfully, it picks up a lot towards the back end of the season, but yeah, a really weak start.

There's definitely something off about the characterisation though. Something which I liked about Season 1 especially, was how well it portrayed the drudgery of prison-life and how a lot of the characters felt like were hugely flawed individuals, even if they were very likable. I don't want to say criminals, because they're doing their time, but you know what I mean. Now, you'd be hard pressed to find a character who isn't portrayed sympathetically, maybe only
Aleida and Piper
? You find yourself wanting to go to women's prison. It looks like a lot of fun...

Anyway, even though the ending was totally hammy and ridiculous, it really moved me. By the end there's: a lot of great stories which get resolved, it's really fucking funny, and there's some amazing characters (even if they are now more unrealistic) but I'd be hard pressed to say the show compels me now in the same way S1+2 did. I will definitely be back for Season 4 though.

Interesting to hear, I'll persevere then. Episode 3 I'll watch tonight. Its just been so divided and unfocused so far - like they've taken every popular character and said 'every single one needs equal focus' and by doing so it's all over the place.

And Piper has just moped, been a bitch and cried. Umm great.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't feel like there's any tension or relief anymore. Everything just sort of... happens.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
They're not fake. I wish they were. Even the ninja turtle one is real. Look here.

It really is like chucking a pot of paint onto the Mona Lisa. I'm not a fan of tattoos in general but hers are especially ugly IMO.

OnPoint

Just finished the season last night.

The season as a whole lacked purpose and drive. It was a chore to get through and it often made me not really want to watch another season of this. There was no real plot with the inmates. There was nothing to look forward to. It was just a collection of stories. The main storyline seemed to be, upon reflection, that the prison was going through some administrative changes. In that light, the main character ended up being Capputo. I love the guy, but it wasn't the smartest move.

Glad Piper finally went full bad mode. I like her best when she's not pretending to be good. She's somehow less fake and more likable when she gives in to her darkness. I hope she ends up as the full S4 villain.

Alex isn't going to die. She's going to get saved by the NSA-nutbag, I think.

The whole going to the lake and just swimming thing is so stupid. It's such a sickeningly sweet moment just for the sake of it. I can't believe for a minute not one of them would try to run.

Glad Capputo finally did something for himself. But I really like Mike Birbiglia so I'm sad he'll be gone.

Other assorted stuff: Won't miss Nicki. Won't miss Bennett. Glad Daiya had the baby so that story can end. I will miss the guard staff but that could go positively with the right replacements. The Norma stuff was awful, it just stretched far too long. Pennsatucky's painted far too sympathetically now, as is Healy. Love Capputo hate-banging Fig. Didn't like Ruby and happy that ended how it did. Actually hope they move away from any Piper love-interest story stuff. That's when the show is at its worst.

Seasons rank 1>2>3 for me, this being the worst. I didn't like the V storyline but at least she gave the show a purpose for a minute. Undecided if I'm going to bother with S4. This finished stronger than it started, but it was still a wet fart of a season.

Karu

For me season 3 was a return to form. Season 2 began with episodes that dipped into the well of perfection, but the main arc around Vee got so frustratingly anti-climactic that it just didn't work for me. It ruined the whole vibe, Orange excelled at.

With the return to a more light arc and the focus on personal stakes that were carried through the season with ease, the cast got to shine. Might not have been as impressive as season 1, but overall I enjoyed it immensly and I hope the show continues to go on this path. The super dramatic clash just isn't the right story for Orange.

Also: Fuck the Piper-haters. :D Taylor Schilling is phenomenal and can be damn funny. Good job!

Grizzo

Holly Molly at those last few minutes of the season
when everybody just fled to the lake. That was some really powerful stuff. Must have been to shoot as well! I mean, all the cast seem to have been united for that one big moment.

Noooooooo
don't let my girl Maritza drive the van with that piece of shit Coates :((((

I'm upset about this. I hope she's gonna be fine. She's one of my fav character on the show.

Shit's got real with Alex at the end. We don't know what happened to her, but I don't think she's gonna die just yet.

Piper has gotten way too annoying now. Her godfather shit doesn't get me excited. I just don't think it suits her well.

Black Cindy's conversion felt a little too rushed. It didn't really resonate with me either.

Oh also
Morello is a lost cause. I mean of course she's cute as a button but at the same time she's totally messed up. Plus she just doesn't learn.

And Healy needs to go. I still can't stand him and I don't care his sweet his relationship with Red has become. Bring back Berdie!!!!

Overall that was a great season! Loved everything with
Flaca, Daya, Suzanne, Soso, Pennsatucky and Sophia (even though those last three's storylines were heartbreaking)
. Hope we'll have
Nicky back next year.

Social

Finished season 3 just now with the wife. Another vote for a lacking season. Piper was by far the most boring person in season 3. Every scene with her made me dislike her even more.

Still an enjoyable show though, some great pieces set up for Season 4.

I couldn't have been the only person that thought that Pennsutucky's boyfriend was hot. My god.

Also that episode was super sad, jeez. I cried a couple of times during it.

Final episode spoilers/next season speculation: My feeling is that given Piper
is also absent from the lake, at the start of Season 4 we'll learn that she'll also be at the greenhouse or whatever with Alex, and probably save her. Like, she'll be looking for Alex after her new squeeze is taken away, and in looking for her it'll somehow buy time and save her life. That's my theory, anyway.

Grizzo

Final episode spoilers/next season speculation: My feeling is that given Piper
is also absent from the lake, at the start of Season 4 we'll learn that she'll also be at the greenhouse or whatever with Alex, and probably save her. Like, she'll be looking for Alex after her new squeeze is taken away, and in looking for her it'll somehow buy time and save her life. That's my theory, anyway.

No, I think
Lolly (aka the crazy inmate who thinks the NSA is watching her) is gonna save her. After all, she kept talking about that new "toothpick guard" whom she doesn't trust, so it would make sense to be all paranoid and hopefully help Alex at the right time.

gaiages

Banned
Really? She has a strong Australian accent and says she's Australian.

I made a joke about it last page, but legitimately I paid so little attention to her for her first few appearances that I forgot they mentioned that. It was too painfully obvious what the character's whole point was for the season
oh let's add some love triangle drama
that I simply tuned out the character in general until the last couple episodes.

And I'm abhorrently bad at picking out accents correctly.

Ayumi

No, I think
Lolly (aka the crazy inmate who thinks the NSA is watching her) is gonna save her. After all, she kept talking about that new "toothpick guard" whom she doesn't trust, so it would make sense to be all paranoid and hopefully help Alex at the right time.
Never thought of that before, and now I really hope that
Lolly is actually just a sweet girl who has mental issues, but in a way where she can predict who is good/bad. Especially after Alex told her she was a double-agent for CIA.

Why did the young guard
fucking leave? They literally wrote him off without so much as some sort of buildup.

He got a good look at
Daya's family and how fucked up it was and bailed. He was iffy to begin with, but once he saw that staying would mean being family with a guy who pulls a gun on a kid for not eating dinner, he was done.

redhood56

Banned
Just finished now. I felt the season lacked direction. I wasn't a fan of the used panty business storyline it seemed to out of place for me. Most of the season just felt like filler to me. I'm not really excited for season 4, but I'll watch.

Just finished now. I felt the season lacked direction. I wasn't a fan of the used panty business storyline it seemed to out of place for me. Most of the season just felt like filler to me. I'm not really excited for season 4, but I'll watch.

I felt something similar. It really seemed like the writers didnt know what to do with the characters after such a suspenseful Season 2. Normally I would complain about the Daya plot but nobody else had anything interesting going on except for Pennsytucky.

Grizzo

I felt something similar. It really seemed like the writers didnt know what to do with the characters after such a suspenseful Season 2. Normally I would complain about the Daya plot but nobody else had anything interesting going on except for Pennsytucky.

I thought the Sophia stuff was pretty strong an meaningful as well (by the way, hi EG, long time no see!)

TripOpt55

Just finished this up today. An enjoyable season for sure. I just like a lot of the characters here, so seeing what they get up to is fun. I think my favorite stuff was the storylines with Doggett and the Time Hump Chronicles. Both obviously delivering very different types of stories, but that is one of the show's strengths to be able to tackle something so serious one moment and then something silly another. I thought overall it was better than Season 2 but not as good as the first.

KNT-Zero

Finished this today as well. I feel like the season episodes should shorter. When you got 13 episodes lasting 1 hour each you might as well trim their content a bit.

Flashbacks took forever sometimes, I had to skip some stuff cuz even after skipping the message was clear, so dragging the scene along became tiring fast.

Also,
I don't want Alex to die :'(

I hope Chapman finally gets her shit together and drops the godfather persona. It's nice to see her becoming dark but I feel the writers pushed it a bit far....

Also I wonder what are they gonna do with Dayanara now that the baby storyline is over...

Welp, now back to waiting!

Asbel

Do you guys hate cowboy bebop too? Cuz that show is all filler, very procedural but gets lots of praise.

I liked all the seasons so far but piper is still boring with everything she does. That panty recruiting speech she Gave was awful. I'd like to see them make her interesting but vee already did it better

So it is just Netflix's MO to write characters off in the most quick and unsatisfying way they can early in a season?

It was annoying in HOC and its annoying here.

So it is just Netflix's MO to write characters off in the most quick and unsatisfying way they can early in a season?

It was annoying in HOC and its annoying here.

Eh? I mean I understand your perspective, but I don't think that this really happened that much in Season 2. In this season, we saw Nicky, Bennett, and Sophia leave the show suddenly, but they had arcs in that season (though Bennett perhaps the least so). The popular speculation for Nicky is that she will provide a maximum security perspective for viewers, and Sophia being taken out of protective custody will definitely need to be something that happens for her (or else, writers!). I guess it was really abrupt in Bennett's case, but I don't mind because I kind of don't like him as a character on multiple levels.

End of show spoiler: I am concerned about
Piper turning into a complete loon. What she did to Stella was just wrong. Should have just let her go home.

Also not sure if I am liking the love triangle here. Alex and Piper are meant to be. The fanboy in me wants the series finale to be the two of them getting married.

Her fling with Stella just doesn't feel right.

I also feel like
Piper and Caputo are doing the same type of thing -- turning to the dark side.

Stella got what was coming when she took Pipers money. She shoulda just asked like Piper said..Pretty sure Pipes would have gave her some money.

Kathian

Banned
Piper has been doing her loon stuff since series one; its quite fundamental to her character and one of the reasons shes interesting. Anyway Stella didn't respect Piper's own situation, that her time in was longer or that the money would mean something to her.

She wouldn't have done what she did to many others; Stella was weak, no one really knew her and she had personally hurt Piper (as oppose to just stolen from her).

I thought this season was better than 2, and didn't mind the lack of "big bad" villain, or even any real throughline. The show always worked best as this sort of stream-of-consciousness, slice-of-life bit of comedy/drama set in a prison. This season got back to that.

Obviously it's not realistic in the slightest, and hasn't been since season one, so when outlandish dumb shit happens, I feel the only justification I need for it is whether or not it ends up serving the characters in a positive fashion and paying off the punchline its set up. This season didn't have the GREATEST batting average when it came to that, but it succeeded more than it didn't.

Also, Ruby Rose is just young Megan Fox with short hair and an accent. Dunno why nobody else is catching that.

Kathian

Banned
Season 2 I really didn't like the Vee stuff so I've more enjoyed the smaller battles. Season 3 feels more like a Part One of a two part story though, will be interesting to see how it all feeds into Season 4.

Asbel

Piper has been doing her loon stuff since series one; its quite fundamental to her character and one of the reasons shes interesting. Anyway Stella didn't respect Piper's own situation, that her time in was longer or that the money would mean something to her.

She wouldn't have done what she did to many others; Stella was weak, no one really knew her and she had personally hurt Piper (as oppose to just stolen from her).

I completely agree with you on Piper's character and yet, somehow, she makes the role completely boring.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Yup. Much like weeds, after a few season it seems they don't know where to go with it and its spiraling down hill.

The whole season felt disjointed, I feel like they lost the whole point of the show which was to take a slightly comedic approach to the awful prison system.

Random thoughts and questions
Why was Alex back, other than people love Laura Prepon, also how lame they leave that cliff hanger there.
What's with the panty business and Pipers inner mobster and thug coming out?
Felt like a lot of random stories thrown in for not particular reason with no payoff at the last episode, like the prison cult, the crazy girl marrying random stranger, Daya's baby back and forth back and forth to give it away or to not and mom interfering all the time.

dankir

Literally just finished watching S3. I felt that it was pretty good but all over the place.

Some storylines were really light hearted (panty business, norma toast) and others were dark as fuck (Dogget getting raped, Healy as a sad sad sad man, Caputo turning heel at the end and Piper holy shit she became bad.

There wasn't a central storyline like Vee last year just a bunch that sort of came through at the end.

I guess Alex is dead? We saw new prison guards and a shitload of new inmates. Bresset is still in solitary right?

And the Caputo plowing Fig was completely out of nowhere, love it.

7/10

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The season started off a bit slow, but I'm really liking it so far. Really picks up after episode three.

Crazy Eyes sex story had me dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom