• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan Black - Season 2 - Starring Tatiana Maslany as everyone - Sat on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyn

Banned
Definitely great to hear! I stumbled across the show by accident when they were showing reruns before season 2 aired, and I have been hooked since. Even though season 2 felt a little iffy here and there, I'm still stoked to see where the next one goes and if they can tighten things up a bit.

Emmy nominations are announced tomorrow I believe. Really hoping Tatiana gets some credit there, as it is certainly deserved.

Bog

Junior Ace
Everybody dance party.

clone-dance-party5.gif

Oof. That looked way better on TV than in that gif.

Quick

Banned
Oof. That looked way better on TV than in that gif.

It was pretty rough on TV.

The dance party wasn't as good as the others, but it's definitely the most elaborate clone scene, since it's all of them in one.

The best shot we've seen of more than two clones was Cosima, Alison, and Sarah back in season one. It was at Alison's house, where two of them were in one room, while one was in another.

Alpende

Hooray for the renew. I just hope they don't drag it until season 5 or so. 4 seasons sounds like a sweet spot, especially after season 2, which was kind of a let down.

She and John Noble need to co-star in a period piece mini series where they brood and cry a lot so they can finally get some Emmy recognition.

royalan

Like, how many goddamn times are they going to nominate Julianne Margules for her phoned-in performance on Good Wife?

And fucking Kerry "Lip Quiver" Washington??? She deserved a nomination for Scandal for the first part of season 1 and that's it. That show is complete shit now, and so is her one-note performance in it.

I just don't get it. Who DIDN'T get bored just reading that nominations list? It's like the powers that be just said, "welp, let's see what all the big players are doing and hand out nominations. Surely there isn't anything else on TV, right?"

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Did y'all REALLY expect Tatiana to get nominated? Maybe the voters saw her portrayal of Tony... just kidding! *dodges knife*
Tatiana deserves the nom (and to win) but after going through years of cult favorite Battlestar Galactica getting ignored (Mary Mcdonnell and Edward James Olmos were ROBBED) and mediocre trash like Lost getting praised I knew the same thing would happen with Orphan Black.
In the meantime I'll take the consolation prize of seeing that Orphan Black's been officially renewed for season 3? Was on the bubble there for a few weeks after the S2 finale. YES!!!!!

royalan

It's going to be 10 like the first two seasons.

Tatiana should have gotten Lizzy Caplan's spot. Caplan was pretty good, but she didn't do anything Emmy worthy in the first season of Masters of Sex imo.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I really like her in that show...but I wouldn't say her performance was standout.

Then again, Tatiana should have taken Julianne's spot. I can not for the LIFE of me figure out how she keeps getting nominated.

Quick

Banned
She didn't get an Emmy because they're just not sure which character to judge her on because she does too much work.

If she was nominated, she'd take up the entire category for each clone.

/real reason

Meier

I'm still on episode 9 at the moment. Felt like this season was quite underwhelming at best -- it doesn't really feel like there was any sort of planned laid out at all and they just winged the entire season. Do the last two episodes redeem it at all?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
it doesn't really feel like there was any sort of planned laid out at all and they just winged the entire season. Do the last two episodes redeem it at all?

I agree, this season was a bit of a mess and it's clear the writers don't have a plan, but the highs of season 2 were higher than anything in season 1 for me. I believe episode 8 was the disastrous Tony episode? That ep is the lowest in quality the show has dipped (and the first time Tatiana has faltered), but if you haven't watched ep 9 or 10 yet, I believe they MAKE the season. Two of the very best episodes of the series so season 2 at least ended on a very strong note!

TheOddOne

OrphanBlack is getting a comic book series from IDW!

BtPMOIlCMAEOz2h.jpg

PR:
IDW KICKS OPEN THE DOORS TO COMIC-CON WITH ORPHAN BLACK!

The Hit Sci-Fi TV Show Takes On Another Form In New Comic Book Series

San Diego, CA (July 23, 2014) – Orphan Black, the acclaimed sci-fi series by Temple Street Productions, assumes a new identity in the form of a comic-book series from IDW Publishing. IDW’s series will not be a clone of the show but will feature some all-new stories set in the complex and thrilling world of Orphan Black.

“Orphan Black, in addition to being a captivating TV series, is a perfect premise for comics,” said Chris Ryall, IDW’s Chief Creative Officer/Editor-in-Chief. “And as the second season has expanded the series in exciting new directions, that has only increased the amount of stories we’ll be able to tell in comic-book form.”

Orphan Black, which has just been renewed for a third season, centers on Sarah Manning, who after witnessing the suicide of a woman that appears to be her doppelgänger comes into the knowledge that this woman and indeed herself, are two of many biological clones. Sarah takes on the woman’s identity and uses her position as a police detective to uncover the mystery behind what she is and what that means.

IDW Publishing is known for its authenticity and attention to detail when approaching licensed properties and Orphan Black is sure to be a comic book series a delight existing fans and make new ones.

“We’re so thrilled for Orphan Black to take shape as a comic series and join the ranks of IDW’s impressive roster,” said John Young, Managing Director of Temple Street Productions. “Orphan Black was met with an enormous amount of enthusiasm at last year’s Comic-Con which really inspired us to give back to fans of the show through a medium so vital to the science fiction world.”

IDW will be working closely with the show’s producers to expand the Orphan Black world. The first cover image seen here is by artist Nick Runge. The full creative teams and series details will be announced soon, with the first comic-book series launching in early 2015. Striker Entertainment on behalf of Temple Street Productions brokered the deal.

Ashok

Banned
I'm still on episode 9 at the moment. Felt like this season was quite underwhelming at best -- it doesn't really feel like there was any sort of planned laid out at all and they just winged the entire season. Do the last two episodes redeem it at all?
Yeah that's how I felt. Aside from the performances I didn't find the show very interesting. Really preferred Continuum as far as Canadian shows go.

JCX

Marathoned this on Amazon Instant a few weeks ago. Solid series. One of the better handlings of
murder coverup. Usually it isn't handled well in TV shows, save for Misfits

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
An Orphan Black comic? Hm. The main draw of Orphan Black is Tatiana's many (amazing) performances, and the second, at least for me, is Jordan Gavaris - the conspiracy/mythology stuff actually isn't all that compelling or even coherent, so when you remove Tatiana and Jordan from the equation, what's left is not really all that great.

Quick

Banned
My idea for a comic series (and I hope IDW explores the idea) involves meeting new clones. They don't necessarily have to interact with the Clone Club, but it could detail their lives as they get more tangled up with Dyad and Project Leda, unknowingly or otherwise.

Basically, like Jennifer the teacher, not knowing her boyfriend is a monitor as she's dying.

ag-my001

Finally watched the last eight episodes on demand and caught up on this thread. Summary:

- Absolutely loved the musical. I really wanted a full production as a bonus on the season set.

- Donnie finally came around as a decent character. He's down a flash or two before during the first season intervention, but the gun mishap and all that followed were excellent.

- The Tony episode was awkward. I spent most of the episode wondering if the facial hair was supposed to look like that. The exposition from the episode (Paul and the military might somehow be involved) could have been handled differently, letting them approach the subject matter with more thoughtfulness, perhaps.

- Vic. Haha.

- The cult was incredibly creepy, then they just kept going creepier.

- Didn't see the male clones coming, but as soon as they showed him, the earlier line about him going AWOL came back to me. Great setup with a long fuse.

Looking forward to season three. The comic should focus on the euro clones, but I know it won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom