• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan Black Season 4 |OT| Paul Free Since 2015 – Thursdays at 9/10c on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
OH SHIT!

Spoilery Preview Pic

it's happening!

xZSuht7.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

EDIT:

- THR: 'Orphan Black' Renewed for Fifth and Final Season

10-episode final season will air in 2017.

I'm ok with this. Orphan Black is not one of those shows you can stretch forever (the writing was already convoluted enough during S2 and S3) and from the look of this season it looks like the writers are taking speed towards its conclusion. Having a proper timeframe will probably help the writers to tie everything together and end the show with a good note. S4 has done a lot fixing most of the problems from the previous season, so here's hoping.

Besides, it's about time Tatiana and Jordan move on to bigger and better things. Those two deserve to get a lot more work and recognition.

dLMN8R

I'm never sad about final season announcements - it means the creators can end it on their own terms :)

Though I thought they mentioned a couple years ago that Orphan Black was originally planned for 6 seasons? If so, I wonder how that might affect their plans now.

Though I thought they mentioned a couple years ago that Orphan Black was originally planned for 6 seasons? If so, I wonder how that might affect their plans now.
They said 5 was about all they had story for last year. Although before this year of course they back tracked a bit and said they could extend it if needed.

Quick

Banned

EDIT:

- THR: 'Orphan Black' Renewed for Fifth and Final Season

10-episode final season will air in 2017.

It's been a good run, and I'm glad that they're ending it on their terms at least.

The show is too tightly packed that it probably couldn't have sustained itself past maybe six seasons anyway. Especially not when we all basically know the formula of bringing in a new threat, only for another new threat to emerge after. Can't see that working, unless they spin the show in another direction.

Besides, it's about time Tatiana and Jordan move on to bigger and better things. Those two deserve to get a lot more work and recognition.

YES. I'm glad that the show has given them some notice. Here's hoping they both get scooped up for even better opportunities.

zeitgeist

I'm never sad about final season announcements - it means the creators can end it on their own terms :)

Sometimes I'm still sad about hearing a show is getting it's final season but I'm okay with this show ending next year. 5 years is a great run and I think this show has held up in quality / gotten better with time so I can see it having a very strong final season.

By the way, has another episode showcased Tatiana's flawless chameleon abilities more than this episode?

So much range in 40 minutes, it's astounding. Four seasons in and I still forget that she's just one solitary actress during those Sarah vs. Rachel scenes.

By the way, has another episode showcased Tatiana's flawless chameleon abilities more than this episode?

So much range in 40 minutes, it's astounding. Four seasons in and I still forget that she's just one solitary actress during those Sarah vs. Rachel scenes.

Sarah is quite the actress too. She impersonated yet ANOTHER clone.

edit:
Also -

"NOOOOOO!"
"No Rachel!"
"Rachel Stop!"

I just found that part humorous for some odd reason.

Duko?

That is a rather underwhelming reveal.

Only because it's at the end of the season I guess.
I assumed it was him most of the year anyways since he's the one doing the dirty work. A lot of people thought she recognized the person that shot her, but I always thought that look was recognition of the situation rather than the person.

dLMN8R

Man, the reveal toward the end was completely surprising yet so obvious in retrospect.

Major spoiler!
OF COURSE the founder of Neolution would have kept himself alive all this time! What other controversial scientific accomplishment could there be??

God I love Krystal. Maybe because I've known many women like her where I live, but Tatiana just plays her to perfection. I get the feeling that Tatiana might have the most fun being her.

Sarah is just a continual disappointment and written so badly, frankly. She's supposed to be a rough and tumble girl who's been through endless scrapes, yet she gets beaten by limping, power suit Rachel? Every time she goes into a situation acting tough she gets her ass handed to her, but this is beyond ridiculous. It's cheesy, forced drama and making Rachel the archvillain was a terrible idea. Sarah should've just sent Helena in; she would've mopped up Rachel in five minutes.

I did love the Rachel-Krystal interchange though!

I thought Delphine's almost-death scene was handled well, and seeing Cosima and her reunited was really sweet. But the whole survivalist camp thing is perplexing to me.

Was this really the season finale? It's a terrible way to go out with so many loose narrative threads left hanging until next year. I'm kind of annoyed that we had to endure last season to get to good episodes again and now only have one season left. And it makes me sad to think that clone club will just be over after that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought that was a really good finale. That entire clone reveal sequence with Krystal was fucking hysterical. "She doesn't look anything like me. She's a 7 at best." lol

making Rachel the archvillain was a terrible idea.

Is it? Wasn't she one of the primary villains in season 1? This way the story comes full circle and we avoid the ridiculousness of turning her into a member of Clone Club or killing her off, which would be a waste after she spent so much of the previous 2 seasons in recovery. This way all that buildup actually amounts to something. Rachel as the final (?) villain is a whole lot more interesting and compelling than New Person Behind the Curtain #6.

dLMN8R

I think Rachel's arc makes a lot of sense. The events of the past couple seasons aren't enough to justify suddenly making her a sympathetic and empathetic character. She's just finally able to realize what she wanted all along, and now she believes in it more than ever.

But yes, Krystal was amazing!

Krystal was the VIP of the season for sure. I can't believe the season is over already, I know there's advantages to these shorter seasons but it just makes the wait for new episodes much worse.

That entire clone reveal sequence with Krystal was fucking hysterical. "She doesn't look anything like me. She's a 7 at best." lol

"She has a point about your hair..." :D

Is it? Wasn't she one of the primary villains in season 1? This way the story comes full circle and we avoid the ridiculousness of turning her into a member of Clone Club or killing her off, which would be a waste after she spent so much of the previous 2 seasons in recovery. This way all that buildup actually amounts to something. Rachel as the final (?) villain is a whole lot more interesting and compelling than New Person Behind the Curtain #6.

I guess I just have a hard time taking Rachel seriously as a villain; I see her more pathetic than scary. Because the show tends to vacillate between comedy and drama post-season 1, it's rare to really ever feel much dramatic tension. (exceptions to this was the Neolution cop and the creepy paramedics, who were actually foreboding characters) But I think if they wanted to make Rachel scary again they shouldn't have shown all of her scheming. Keep her intentions and plans a mystery to the audience. Rachel being on the island should've been a complete surprise to us and to Sarah.

And Sarah cowering on the floor as Rachel beat her with a cane, it just came off as silly, contrived, and out-of-character for the Sarah I know.

On another note, it's kind of surprising that after all the build-up of M.K. as a new clone, they barely used her this season. I wonder if they decided to rewrite some episodes to give Krystal more screen time.

Alpende

Really liked the finale and the season overall. I felt it was way better than season 3 so that was good. Really wonder what's gonna happen with that PT guy.

Applebite

Decent season finale. Maybe a few too many loose ends for my taste, but I'm happy to hear the show ends with a final 5th season next year. Five seasons are almost always the sweet spot for a TV show IMO, and I think letting the show go on further than that would make it too convoluted and contrived. Plus, as others have mentioned, it's time for the many talented actors on the show to move on and hopefully have prosperous careers. I look forward to next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom