• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlander - Scottish highland time travel romance from Ron Moore - back for S1 Pt 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Poniewozik's review
The result is the most promising show in years for Starz, which since Party Down’s glory days has focused on blood-heavy spectacles like Spartacus and Black Sails or morose antihero dramas like Boss and Magic City. But it’s also something different in the larger universe of pay-cable drama: an epic drama told from the standpoint of an optimistic, resourceful woman rather than brooding, demon-chasing men.

- Onion A|V Club review:
It should be said that Outlander is, on some level, purely entertainment. While that could sound dismissive, it’s actually one of the show’s greatest strengths. Moore and Gabaldon both dispense with the idea of trying to make A Point and instead focus on the task at hand: telling the story. Indeed, its interest in plotting is so careful it marks the show with the traces of genre fiction that its creators are so familiar with. In that sense, it’s following in the footsteps established by Game Of Thrones—establishing an alien landscape, then focusing on the character stories within it.
- Sepinwall's review:
"Outlander" is by far the best of these Starz costume dramas I've seen. It knows the stories it wants to tell and the strongest way to tell them. I haven't read Gabaldon's books and can't speak for the show's fidelity to them, but "Outlander" feels like it can have an audience far beyond those who have already read Claire and Jamie's adventures in print. To borrow a line from Fienberg and paraphrase "Sports Night," if Starz executives can't make "Outlander" into a big hit, they need to get out of the hit-making business and go back to just showing movies. But I'm guessing they won't have to deal with that problem.

- EW: Starz' 'Outlander' pilot already viewed nearly 1 million times
Starz put the first episode (“Sassenach”) of its adaptation of Diana Gabaldon’s best-selling romance novels online and On Demand this week. So far the hour has been viewed 897,372 times by more than 600,000 unique viewers (so, yes, some fans are apparently watching more than once). Those numbers include viewing via Starz On Demand, Starz.com, YouTube, and Xfinity. Yet it’s tough to say at this point what the sampling will mean for the show’s official premiere and beyond.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So nearly 1/3 of the views were repeat viewings? That...somehow doesn't surprise me in the least. Outlander fans are rabid.

Schrade

Um. This pilot was really good.

The scenery, the music, the cast... I will definitely be following this show. Really good start.

The narration got a little bit annoying but I can imagine it was just passages from the book trying to fill in and color the story.

Lots of times when you have a book -> Movie/TV Show adaptation they remove a lot of that and you haven't a clue what's going on or miss out on something that is important.

Dabanton

Watched this last night apart from a bit of overuse of narration I thought it was very solid.

Lead actress is great as well.

Damn, I'm hearing good things about this show, but because of the Canadian delay, I won't be able to discuss it on GAF.

First Hit The Floor, and now this. Sooooooooooooooooo frustrating. :/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Series premiere tonight:

Sassenach

In the series premiere of this cable drama, a married British combat nurse time-travels from World War II to 1743 Scotland, is kidnapped by Highlanders and tends to an injured young warrior.

Damn, I'm hearing good things about this show, but because of the Canadian delay, I won't be able to discuss it on GAF.

Move to the US :D

Think it may be worth a watch for him alone!

We can only hope.

It was a great pilot. The quality of everything was really good.

Part of the reason it captivated me so much was because it was 100% not what I was expecting. Anyone going into this thinking they will get a cookie cutter time travel action romance show is going to get so turned off.

TV shows just are not made like this anymore.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I was hoping it would be on TMN. Frustrating that it's on Showcase and 3 weeks behind. However, there are ways to still see it.

That being said, I loved the pilot. The casting is spot on. Sam Heughton IS Jamie. They've been pretty faithful to the first few chapters of the first book.

Also, the music is fantastic.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Part of the reason it captivated me so much was because it was 100% not what I was expecting. Anyone going into this thinking they will get a cookie cutter time travel action romance show is going to get so turned off.

TV shows just are not made like this anymore.

I actually can't tell if you're serious or not. :p

I'm being 100% serious.

It was fantastic.

And I was one of those people that was turned off by the marketing. Even at SDCC, the marketing was horrible. Did not make me want to see it at all. Then I watched it because I needed white noise.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm being 100% serious.

It was fantastic.

And I was one of those people that was turned off by the marketing. Even at SDCC, the marketing was horrible. Did not make me want to see it at all. Then I watched it because I needed white noise.

Alright, that's cool!

It's just that your "Anyone going into this thinking they will get a cookie cutter time travel action romance show" comment threw me off because I wasn't aware that there were even any other time travel action romance shows out there. :p

This is 1000% better then 'Historical romance novel starring a Victoria's Secret model' woukd suggest.

PaQwzQx.jpg

Dwalin looking badass as fuck there.

I had no idea the Outlander series was so huge. I had never even heard of it, to be honest.

Then again, I had very little knowledge of A Song of Ice and Fire before Game of Thrones was announced, so I guess it's not surprising.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I had no idea the Outlander series was so huge. I had never even heard of it, to be honest.

Then again, I had very little knowledge of A Song of Ice and Fire before Game of Thrones was announced, so I guess it's not surprising.

I hadn't heard of it until Starz announced they were making it into a series, but shortly after that I discovered that my sister and several of my extended female relatives were all big fans.

anaron

What a gorgeous looking show. Some of the cinematography -- particularly in 40's scotland -- was just stunning. My favourite shots were probably the scene of Claire and the vase and then walking towards the village and of course, the entire druid dance.

Kinda already in love Jamie. Poor Frank. lol

hythloday

After watching it again on a proper TV, I can say this will probably be one of my favorite shows on cable.

The bits of narration didn't bother me as much this time. There were only two instances where I internally cringed:
"I've seen this rock" and the accompanying flashback, and the part where she sees Inverness dark instead of lit up with electricity, followed by the "I knew I wasn't in the 20th century anymore." Duh, Claire.

The show itself is just gorgeous, and I love the music. I'm leaving the book comparisons out of it, but the few changes I saw didn't hurt anything and were totally understandable with the need to tell the story for a TV audience instead of readers.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Meh, watched the first episode and could tell this simply isn't my kind of show. I'm actually kinda upset Ron Moore is wasting his time on this instead of something else.

anaron

Meh, watched the first episode and could tell this simply isn't my kind of show. I'm actually kinda upset Ron Moore is wasting his time on this instead of something else.
wasting his time on a big buget cable network show with an already established huge fanbase that will likely translate to an equally huge tv audience

lol, ok

Fuck, so this actually turned out well? I'm gonna go give the pilot a watch now. I'd love to see Ron Moore have another successful show, it's been nothing but false starts since BSG.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My god, the narration is BRUTAL.

Thing happens on screen: SHE IMMEDIATELY REPEATS WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

Good to hear that the narration won't be staying, other than that, absolutely loved everything else and cannot wait for the next episode. Haven't seen such a good pilot in quite a while.

wasting his time on a big buget cable network show with an already established huge fanbase that will likely translate to an equally huge tv audience

lol, ok

It's the success he deserves after a bunch of failed projects but I would still prefer a scifi series over a romantic period one

foxtrot3d

Banned

lol, ok

I guess I should have clarified. When I say "wasting his time" I mean "wasting" it on something I don't care about. It's like if Ridley Scott went and did a romantic comedy (which he kinda did), even if it was the best romantic comedy ever I still wouldn't give a shit and would think he was wasting his time. I want Ron Moore to go and do something I love, preferably in the sci-fi genre, and don't you dare post that Helix crap show.

TL;DR I don't care about a time traveling, romance drama. Thus, Ron Moore is wasting his talent to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom