• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Nothing original in this post, but I hope Xbone does outsell ps4 for a little while. I'm a PS4 owner and I think Sony need a kick up the behind. They've been a bit crap this year. I also think MS has the better line up until the end of the year. Good pricing here in the UK too!

What does he gain by provoking an entire fanbase?

It's like he is calling for his own trolling.

I just don't get it.

He gives the predictions to his clients. They're not intended for the general public, and they're certainly not meant to "provoke an entire fanbase."

They're quick, cursory predictions made on a whim with a VERY small sampling of the market.

News sites pay for the predictions and then broadcast them as a news article...like they actually mean something. But that was never their intent.

"Maybe not?" He flat out already said it worked and is already backtracking.....And never even mentions the Sony deal with Destiny.....

Pachter already backtracking from his prediction? Sounds like it....

So what? It's not set in stone. Pachter didn't spend a lot of time coming up with the predictions...so he doesn't really care if they're right or wrong.

Pachter doesn't bet his integrity as an Equity Research Analyst on the validity of these numbers. He throws the numbers out there to give clients a general feel how the market might perform. Nothing is definitive on the matter.

Now if you were to ask him about his Buy / Sell prediction for Nintendo stock, he will give you a much more reasoned and thoughtful approach...because that's his REAL job. This isn't his job. It's a fun anecdote.

cackhyena

Not overall, but very good chance on Xbox One alone in 2014. Long term, GTAV will almost definitely outsell MCC on Xbox One, and absolutely across all platforms. GTAV on 360 outsold the top selling 360 Halo game (Halo 3) almost 2:1.

GTAV, across consoles, sold about as many copies in one year as every Halo game has ever sold in almost 15 years. I think Halo series has GTA V beat, but not by a lot. Halo series is at about 36m sales over 14 years, and GTAV alone is at 34.5m after 1 year.
This is just mind boggling to me.

siah

Banned
Nothing original in this post, but I hope Xbone does outsell ps4 for a little while. I'm a PS4 owner and I think Sony need a kick up the behind. They've been a bit crap this year. I also think MS has the better line up until the end of the year. Good pricing here in the UK too!

Not going to go over well here but I agree.

I'm almost certain the guy purposely made this prediction to get Sony fans to call Pachter out on it, just so he can have a reason to point, laugh and yell "Fanboy!".

I don't think he is entirely wrong though. Fanboys do exist on both sides.

I mean, you just mentioned 'Sony fans' which is effectively another way of saying fanboys.

There are people who will try to have a debate and look at things rationally and there are others who spring to the defence of their favourite company, no matter what.

Donos

Not overall, but very good chance on Xbox One alone in 2014. Long term, GTAV will almost definitely outsell MCC on Xbox One, and absolutely across all platforms. GTAV on 360 outsold the top selling 360 Halo game (Halo 3) almost 2:1.

GTAV, across consoles, sold about as many copies in one year as every Halo game has ever sold in almost 15 years. I think Halo series has GTA V beat, but not by a lot. Halo series is at about 36m sales over 14 years, and GTAV alone is at 34.5m after 1 year.

WTF. Now i want my SciFi GTA VI in the future.

BWJinxing

Is he legit saying that on a not so heavily advertised program, giving away a free extra game of your choice, for a week, blew away the competitor?

Statistically in an ideal world, this should have worked. But in reality, I don't agree with this a sole reason.

If he was right, color me shocked, but I honestly don't think Sept was the month of xbone sales lead, its bound to happen at some point.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member

If XBone doesn't outsell the PS4 in this gen, then that just means MS will pick their game up for the next gen console, forcing Sony to have to up their game as well.

You implied that's what I had said. That's obvious from your comment.

Now you are backtracking.

All I said was that it is a driver of innovation, which it is. Nobody other than you mentioned the word primary. You constructed a strawman.

Hmmm. I thought you said competition drives innovation which certainly sounds more like you were suggesting (in the context of the original post and reply) it was the only driver of innovation with regards to PSN.

You were, after all, replying to my jocular assertion that someone suggesting that it was possible to KNOW that PSN wouldn't be anything like was today without Microsoft being around must be able to travel through time to an alternate version of events.

Because clearly it is ridiculous to suggest we can KNOW anything about an alternative reality that never happened.

The PS4 has that brilliant co-op play deal with Farcry 4 and haven't they also secured a marketing deal with the next-gen version of GTA5?

If so, I don't think Xbone is winning any month this year, and a remaster of old Halo games isn't going to change that..

So a re mastered GTA5 that will be on both systems will change things?

Curufinwe

Shots fired

I presume Pachter feels validated when gets any type of attention, good or bad, which is why he is continually making controversial predictions which turn out to be hopelessly inaccurate.

Fuse will sell 5 million.

Titanfall will sell 6-10 million.

Nintendo are throwing away money by selling the 3DS so cheaply.

Why? He has a right to make predictions in the sales thread just like any other user.

Just to be clear:

Pachter never actually posts the predictions to the thread.

He sends the predictions to clients.

Some NeoGAF members are very high-powered with ties to NPD / GfK / Equity Research and get a lot of that kind of data on a regular basis.

NeoGAF members then post his predictions because they're subscribed clients to Wedbush Equity Research.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
I don't think he is entirely wrong though. Fanboys do exist on both sides.

I mean, you just mentioned 'Sony fans' which is effectively another way of saying fanboys.

There are people who will try to have a debate and look at things rationally and there are others who spring to the defence of their favourite company, no matter what.

Not entirely wrong in his prediction, or that his reaction is not entirely wrong? If you mean the latter, I don't think it's entirely wrong either. I just honestly have a feeling the point of the prediction is to piss off the fanboys for his own amusement.

I also referred to them as fanboys in a previous post too. That time I was just trying to be specific about saying they were fans of Sony.

Don't worry, fellas. Evil M$ won't win the month, it'll be alright. You can wear your beanies with pride this month.

As in ban making threads about him more likely. I think he had an account but was banned.
Banning Pachter threads? Give me a break. They're fun and entertaining.

Hmmm. I thought you said competition drives innovation which certainly sounds more like you were suggesting (in the context of the original post and reply) it was the only driver of innovation with regards to PSN.

You were, after all, replying to my jocular assertion that someone suggesting that it was possible to KNOW that PSN wouldn't be anything like was today without Microsoft being around must be able to travel through time to an alternate version of events.

Because clearly it is ridiculous to suggest we can KNOW anything about an alternative reality that never happened.

Maybe not for absolute certain, but we can assume with a fair degree of certainty. People make predictions and assumptions all the time. This entire thread is based on one, be it right or wrong.

You've read my post and interpreted it in a way that you choose to suit your own argument.

You were being a smart arse spouting your Marty McFly line in response to the other guy. I'm pretty sure if you asked any of the top MS or Sony execs their opinions on what drives them to keep innovating and improving their platforms, one of the answers they will give you is competition. They are not operating in a vacuum.

Cyriades

I presume Pachter feels validated when gets any type of attention, good or bad, which is why he is continually making controversial predictions which turn out to be hopelessly inaccurate.

Fuse will sell 5 million.

Titanfall will sell 6-10 million.

Nintendo are throwing away money by selling the 3DS so cheaply.

The guy said Fuse would sell 5 million copies?

geez

Not entirely wrong in his prediction, or that his reaction is not entirely wrong? If you mean the latter, I don't think it's entirely wrong either. I just honestly have a feeling the point of the prediction is to piss off the fanboys for his own amusement.

I also referred to them as fanboys in a previous post too. That time I was just trying to be specific about saying they were fans of Sony.

His reaction. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

When you think how much stick the guy must get, I can't blame him for having a bit of fun at their expense.

I mean the threads about his predictions.

He's almost never right and the threads are just full of people pointing this fact out.

Yeah, it's stupid.

His predictions were posted in the NPD Prediction thread way before a separate thread was made about this.

In the NPD Prediction thread people were deconstructing Pachter's analysis a little more thoughtfully. Here it seems to be a more knee-jerk "Stupid dumb Pachter!" kind of thing.

Nothing that hasn't been more thoughtfully worded elsewhere.

Ricky_R

Just to be clear:

Pachter never actually posts the predictions to the thread.

He sends the predictions to clients.

Some NeoGAF members are very high-powered with ties to NPD / GfK / Equity Research and get a lot of that kind of data on a regular basis.

NeoGAF members then post his predictions because they're subscribed clients to Wedbush Equity Research.

So what's the word among those members concerning September sales?

Busty

Banned
Has nothing to do with "hate", Pachter.
You are just so damn delusional with your prediction, it ain't even funny anymore.
The dimension doesn't even exist, where the Xbone could have outsold the PS4 in september.

Woah, woah, woah.

MS have been very aggressive with the pricing and marketing of the Xbone in the Phantom Zone.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
His reaction. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

When you think how much stick the guy must get, I can't blame him for having a bit of fun at their expense.

Honestly, if I had his job, I'd probably be doing the same thing too.

But then again, I'm just mean-spirited and enjoy watching people overreact about the console wars.

LordofPwn

My only view on this is that if somehow the Xbox One managed to outsell the PS4 for the month of september in the US, Microsoft would already have said something, just like Sony stated that September saw their highest sales since December.

Goldmund

So how true is this?

@michaelpachter Why are your predictions so wildly off and consistently wrong? Honest question. They rarely seem to be close.

‏@michaelpachter
@Aiervon and you say that because you see them all? Check NeoGAF, I have won the competition there, and am usually top tier

https://twitter.com/michaelpachter/status/522031847123861504
These are last year's results:

No numbers, then. :( At least we have results! :)
[...]

December 2013                   Overall 2013 Top (10/12)
01.  WinterDemons           ---.--   donny2112              ---.--
02.  Anth0ny                ---.--   doicare                ---.--
03.  skedar897              ---.--   Road                   ---.--
04.  NateDrake              ---.--   MasterSheen            ---.--
05.  Brew124                ---.--   allan-bh               ---.--
06.  1st Course             ---.--   Goldmund               ---.--
07.  MasterSheen            ---.--   DaBoss                 ---.--
08.  Goldmund               ---.--   Bruno MB               ---.--
09.  Gianni Merryman        ---.--   confuziz               ---.--
10.  metalslimer            ---.--   Jonsoncao              ---.--
11.  Javier                 ---.--   jvm                    ---.--
12.  GhaleonEB              ---.--   Elios83                ---.--
13.  jayu26                 ---.--   archnemesis            ---.--
14.  astrogamer             ---.--   Megadragon15           ---.--
15.  BlackJace              ---.--   kswiston               ---.--
16.  Asd202                 ---.--   shinra-bansho          ---.--
17.  TheRealTalker          ---.--   andy_lhc               ---.--
18.  Gbpackers31            ---.--   BlackJace              ---.--
19.  ZhugeEX                ---.--   michaelius             ---.--
20.  Road                   ---.--   skedar897              ---.--
21.  DaBoss                 ---.--   Pachter                ---.--
22.  Maxxan                 ---.--   Aquamarine             ---.--
23.  Minions                ---.--   Zero-Crescent          ---.--
24.  Jamix012               ---.--   Brakara                ---.--
25.  michaelius             ---.--   metalslimer            ---.--
26.  Kimawolf               ---.--   DrWong                 ---.--
27.  bEAST1N_G              ---.--   prag16                 ---.--
28.  Griss                  ---.--   pieatorium             ---.--
29.  vinnygambini           ---.--   Gianni Merryman        ---.--
30.  Sifl                   ---.--   CorporateClown         ---.--
31.  allan-bh               ---.--   pitseleh               ---.--
32.  Jallopy                ---.--   idlewild_              ---.--
33.  Dynopia                ---.--   noobie                 ---.--
34.  andy_lhc               ---.--   Hiro_Kunimi_80         ---.--
35.  jvm                    ---.--   ItWasMeantToBe19       ---.--
36.  Pachter                ---.--   Colonel Mustard        ---.--
37.  GrayDock               ---.--   GulAtiCa               ---.--
38.  Chobel                 ---.--   Lexxus                 ---.--
39.  Tratorn                ---.--   perfectchaos007        ---.--
40.  Radec                  ---.--   Madao                  ---.--
41.  BlackBuzzard           ---.--   Hammer24               ---.--
42.  Skeff                  ---.--   Canis lupus            ---.--
43.  Bruno MB               ---.--   Drago                  ---.--
44.  Foshy                  ---.--   NateDrake              ---.--
45.  Pound_lb003            ---.--   Jamix012               ---.--
46.  oxalicwave             ---.--   bakman21               ---.--
47.  DrWong                 ---.--   Roboleon               ---.--
48.  Shaanyboi              ---.--   sacrificengineer       ---.--
49.  prag16                 ---.--   baekshi                ---.--
50.  Lexxus                 ---.--   airmangataosenai       ---.--

Congratulations, WinterDemons for the month and donny2112 for the year! :D

Edit:
:O

He was in the top 25.

These are last year's results:

He was in the top 25.

Most months, threads NEVER get made about Pachter's predictions because they're usually pretty reasonable.

This one is way out of left-field. Usually it's more in line with what GAFfers in the Prediction Thread conclude.

Ishan

I think the vitriol partly stems from the fact that pachter is an "analyst" so ppl get more amped when he makes what may be perceived as inaccurate predictions . I can make 10 predictions in this thread no one cares . But if I was an analyst where it have a high profile and ppl listen to me . I can expect to get called out on it Etc etc .

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Did Pachter specifically say it was the September of this year?

What if we get the results for sales of consoles for this month, then Pachter turns around and says "Oh, you all thought I meant the September of 2014? I actually meant the September of 2015! Don't you know those games I've mentioned are planning to do a one year anniversary sales pitch special as well?" just to keep the shitstorm going on for a year.

Tsiawd

Banned
He has a much right to an opinion as anyone. The fact that there are as many replies on this thread shows how fanboy everyone is. If you don't like what he has to say, don't read or watch his stuff.

Did Pachter specifically say it was the September of this year?

What if we get the results for sales of consoles for this month, then Pachter turns around and says "Oh, you all thought I meant the September of 2014? I actually meant the September of 2015! Don't you know those games I've mentioned are planning to do a one year anniversary sales pitch special as well?" just to keep the shitstorm going on for a year.

In the actual note sent to investors / clients, Pachter specifically states "September 2014 NPD Preview."

And the rest of his predictions were sound...it's only the PS4 prediction that's wonky.

Maybe not for absolute certain, but we can assume with a fair degree of certainty. People make predictions and assumptions all the time. This entire thread is based on one, be it right or wrong.

You've read my post and interpreted it in a way that you choose to suit your own argument.

You were being a smart arse spouting your Marty McFly line in response to the other guy. I'm pretty sure if you asked any of the top MS or Sony execs their opinions on what drives them to keep innovating and improving their platforms, one of the answers they will give you is competition. They are not operating in a vacuum.
I agree. It´s a fair assumption to make.
It was one of the distinct advantages Microsoft had over Sony, in a time were they were struggling severely with the PS3 and conceding market share to the competitors.

Goldmund

Most months, threads NEVER get made about Pachter's predictions because they're usually pretty reasonable.

This one is way out of left-field. Usually it's more in line with what GAFfers in the Prediction Thread conclude.
I realize that. I find his prediction odd, as well. I think I'm ranking lower than him for this year currently, so I'm pleased.

EDIT: Actually, he's not even in the top 50 this year, so far, but his prediction for last month was pretty good.

He gives the predictions to his clients. They're not intended for the general public, and they're certainly not meant to "provoke an entire fanbase."

They're quick, cursory predictions made on a whim with a VERY small sampling of the market.

News sites pay for the predictions and then broadcast them as a news article...like they actually mean something. But that was never their intent.

I get that but his last tweet wasn't a prediction. It was targeted and deliberate. He wants a reaction. Why bring this type of hostility to a simple conversation.

Top Bottom