• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

No one (that I have seen) is suggesting that he's a fanboy for MS or anything to that extent. Just that his credibility is seriously in question and his prediction completely goes again almost all of the evidence available to us. Which is fair enough Why shouldn't a prediction that seems woefully inaccurate at the present be ripped apart?

What "evidence" do you speak of?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
GTA V has sold-through 10+ million units in the USA alone, according to NPD.

I'm sorry, but Halo MCC isn't going to come close to matching that.

Hollyshit man, there are like 10s of similar posts I have seen in this thread. Making this ridicules comparison. GTA is a monster franchise but stop talking like new GTA is coming out this year. Its a same game with visual upgrade being sold for the same price. The game has no doubt sold millions of copies. The real question is, how many millions of those people will double dip. So stop saying it sold 35million so it will crush everything this holiday again. We don't have any similar situation to compare so we can't know for sure how it will turn out. But if Amazon.com is something to go by then MCC is crushing GTA5 PS4 version since E3. To be honest, everytime I went to see Amazon hourly, MCC is usually above COD AW as well.

edit I am obviously talking about the remastered GTAV version

Hollyshit man, there are like 10s of similar posts I have seen in this thread. Making this ridicules comparison. GTA is a monster franchise but stop talking like new GTA is coming out this year. Its a same game with visual upgrade being sold for the same price. The game has no doubt sold millions of copies. The real question is, how many millions of those people will double dip. So stop saying it sold 35million so it will crush everything this holiday again. We don't have any similar situation to compare so we can't know for sure how it will turn out. But if Amazon.com is something to go by then MCC is crushing GTA5 PS4 version since E3.

Wait what? When did I say that?

cakely

Is there anyone who thinks that MCC will sell more than GTAV?

Hollyshit man, there are like 10s of similar posts I have seen in this thread. Making this ridicules comparison. GTA is a monster franchise but stop talking like new GTA is coming out this year. Its a same game with visual upgrade being sold for the same price. The game has no doubt sold millions of copies. The real question is, how many millions of those people will double dip. So stop saying it sold 35million so it will crush everything this holiday again. We don't have any similar situation to compare so we can't know for sure how it will turn out. But if Amazon.com is something to go by then MCC is crushing GTA5 PS4 version since E3.

There are "10s of similar posts" because people are responding to the question I quoted above.

We're comparing a remaster to remaster. That doesn't sound "ridicules" to me.

Hollyshit man, there are like 10s of similar posts I have seen in this thread. Making this ridicules comparison. GTA is a monster franchise but stop talking like new GTA is coming out this year. Its a same game with visual upgrade being sold for the same price. The game has no doubt sold millions of copies. The real question is, how many millions of those people will double dip. So stop saying it sold 35million so it will crush everything this holiday again. We don't have any similar situation to compare so we can't know for sure how it will turn out. But if Amazon.com is something to go by then MCC is crushing GTA5 PS4 version since E3. To be honest, everytime I went to see Amazon hourly, MCC is usually above COD AW as well.

I'll give you a hint. Amazon isn't something to go by. It's useful, but really, you think you can use Amazon and decide that the MCC will do better than COD:AW? Yeah. Nope.

You're also making an assumption that there isn't a market for GTAV outside of double-dippers. What about people that didn't buy the first release? Or people that didn't have a console it was on? Or people like me who knew a remaster would come? There's plenty more buyers.

BeforeU

Wait what? When did I say that?

Sorry I wasn't exactly quoting you, but I saw some posts earlier today. So was talking about in general.

There are "10s of similar posts" because people are responding to the question I quoted above.

The questions isn't ridicules. The responses are. Almost everyone is saying "oh GTAV has sold X amount, so yeah it do better than MCC"

I'll give you a hint. Amazon isn't something to go by. It's useful, but really, you think you can use Amazon and decide that the MCC will do better than COD:AW? Yeah. Nope.

Yeah obviously. But you can kinda see the demand. And demand and buzz around MCC is big.

HALO MCC is four games remastered + a TV show + halo 5 beta access. It's a Halo fans wet dream and an immense value for non halo players. Comparing it to GTA and Calling this a remaster does not do this package justice. GTA is nothing more then an enhanced remaster of a game that people played a little more then a year and launchs in a busy holiday season.

I think some people around here are totally over estimating what GTA will do and underestimating what Halo MCC will do this season.

Patroclos

Banned
GTA V has sold-through 10+ million units in the USA alone, according to NPD.

I'm sorry, but Halo MCC isn't going to come close to matching that.

Well to be fair I am certain they could match or surpass it with the right incentives. The give a game away with purchase is not quite enough.

Microsoft; "Buy MCC now and receive a free Xbox One!"

Think of the wonders it would do for the install base!

Well to be fair I am certain they could match or surpass it with the right incentives. The give a game away with purchase is not quite enough.

Microsoft; "Buy MCC now and receive a free Xbox One!"

Think of the wonders it would do for the install base!

Haha, yeah, that kind of incentive would do wonders.

It would cost billions, but hey, at least the installbase would surpass the PS4!

Biker19

Banned
HALO MCC is four games remastered + a TV show + halo 5 beta access. It's a Halo fans wet dream and an immense value for non halo players. Comparing it to GTA and Calling this a remaster does not do this package justice. GTA is nothing more then an enhanced remaster of a game that people played a little more then a year and launchs in a busy holiday season.

I think people are are totally over estimating what GTA will do and underestimating what Halo MCC will do.

If anything, it's the other way around with people overestimating on how well Halo MCC will do, & underestimating on how well GTA V will do on PS4 & Xbox One.

First off, the ones who are have already bought a Xbox One in the past, & the ones who are currently buying the console, are the ones who are already pre-ordering Halo MCC.

Second, most people have already played most of the featured Halo games that are on MCC to death on the Original Xbox (Halo 1 & 2), & on Xbox 360 (Halo 3 & 4, plus the Halo 1 remake called Halo: Anniversary Edition which will be used on Halo: MCC).

Third, there's plenty of competition of newer games going on in both November & December. Much more than GTA V, as a matter of fact.

I find it hard to believe that a collection of 4 old Halo games will be a game changer. It'll sell well, but I don't think that it's going to be a huge system seller.

And it all started with Pachter trolling everybody.

He's gotta be laughing his ass off at this thread.

And many people are falling for it; Hook, line, & sinker.

What "evidence" do you speak of?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/09/17/destiny-ps4s-biggest-software-launch-yet/

Sony said the week Destiny came out was their highest selling since last Christmas. We don't know how many PS4s were sold in December, but know that it was more than the 643,000 Xbox 360s. 643,000/5 weeks means Sony is saying they sold at least 128,600 in one week.

This is all fact.

Pachter is claiming that Sony only sold a little more than an additional 100,000 systems over four more weeks. This seems very unlikely.

Additionally, reviewing Amazon's sales in September indicate that it was a very good month for Sony.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-09/videogames

The Destiny PS4 bundle was #6 for the month and the regular PS4 was #11. Xbox One was #28. Yes, Amazon isn't the only retailer, but it is a major one. It also mirrored when Xbox One had outsold PS4 last December.

Right now, I'd like to see Pachter back up his prediction with some evidence like this.

I have a question,
Wouldn't Sony dropped the price of the bundle if it was selling poorly?
And why they came out and said it was their biggest week since Christmas?

BeforeU

I have a question,

PS4 isn't selling poorly, and will not be selling poorly for rest of this gen. WW they have little to no competition. Small decline in sale in US are not going to make them worry. But yeah if the price drop makes sense and profitable. Why not.

Kayant

With Halo MCC personally i fell we could see another TF effect where a lot of people have pre-brought the XB1 for Halo.

XB1 numbers got a brief jolt on the release of the Kinectless SKU, and some of the E3 positivity came through with some improvements... but it hasn't been a consistent 'push'. We haven't seen the XB1 overselling the PS4, in any of the districts I checked. Better than it was doing before, but not 'winning'. (Note, the MCC got a lot of preorders, some of the most I've seen for a XB1 game, period, but at least 80-90% of those preordering have had the system since launch.)

I have a question,

To answer your last question, I believe Sony explicitly mentioned that Destiny launch was their biggest week since Xmas because it isn't holiday season yet.

Edit:
The implication here is that this holiday season might be larger than last year.

So wait, GTA5 is not going to sell as much because it's a remaster but the Halo remaster will because...?

What?

GTA V is a remaster of a multiplat game that came out a year ago and sold so well that few owners of last gen consoles that buy at least one game a year don't have it, and most of those who do have it won't likely drop another $60 on a game they bought for the same amount last year, especially in a time of the year when there are other, newer games coming out almost every week.

Halo is a remaster of four games that are staying exclusive to a single platform brand that (for the most part) are old enough to garner huge amounts of nostalgia for those who played them and as a result huge amounts of internet hype, so much so that people who have only played one or two Halos are interested in picking this up to play the other games they haven't played.

Add to the fact that GTA V doesn't seem like it will be marketed for shit while MS will likely advertise MCC as much as they can, and you can easily see that MCC will sell well whereas GTA V will do well, but not really groundbreaking levels. Keep in mind that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition launched in an otherwise empty month and only did 85k. I expect GTA V to do 100k-ish, but I don't think it'll push consoles really any hard or anything and it definitely won't be near the top for that month. MCC, on the other hand, IMHO has the potential to do 200k-ish+.

PS4 isn't selling poorly, and will not be selling poorly for rest of this gen. WW they have little to no competition. Small decline in sale in US are not going to make them worry. But yeah if the price drop makes sense and profitable. Why not.

No what I meant if the bundle was sellin poorly on the U.S., why didn't they drop the price? I highly doubt it sold poorly and I highly doubt Xbone outsold it.
I think Sony went a little greedy for charging $449 for the bundle. They could have comepletly buried the competition if they had it at $399

Patroclos

Banned
If anything, it's the other way around with people overestimating on how well Halo MCC will do, & underestimating on how well GTA V will do on PS4 & Xbox One.

I'll buy MCC after the holidays when I get through all the new games. I personally only finished half of GTA on ps 3 and will be picking it up day 1for ps 4. Issupected they would release on new systems as well.

The fact is that if everyone in the world who owns or buys an Xbox One before the end of the year also buys MCC it can still only sell 7 million copies. That is also being quite generous.

I just read somewherelse that the PS4 outsold the XBO by 5:1 in Europe last week due to DC. Also, the game possibly got to 1Mil units. Probably not true, anyway.

Will Thursday just get here already. I need some salt for my fries.

I highly doubt Xbox outsold PS4 in sept.
It sucks we still have basically 48 hours... 47 hours to be exact. Why couldn't he have made this estimate tomorrow? That NPD thread has so much potential. XB1 obviously won't outsell the PS4, probably not even close, but it's still gonna be fun to read. The entire first page is going to be nothing but Pachter jokes.

GTA V is a remaster of a multiplat game that came out a year ago and sold so well that few owners of last gen consoles that buy at least one game a year don't have it, and most of those who do have it won't likely drop another $60 on a game they bought for the same amount last year, especially in a time of the year when there are other, newer games coming out almost every week.

Halo is a remaster of four games that are staying exclusive to a single platform brand that (for the most part) are old enough to garner huge amounts of nostalgia for those who played them and as a result huge amounts of internet hype, so much so that people who have only played one or two Halos are interested in picking this up to play the other games they haven't played.

Add to the fact that GTA V doesn't seem like it will be marketed for shit while MS will likely advertise MCC as much as they can, and you can easily see that MCC will sell well whereas GTA V will do well, but not really groundbreaking levels. Keep in mind that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition launched in an otherwise empty month and only did 85k. I expect GTA V to do 100k-ish, but I don't think it'll push consoles really any hard or anything and it definitely won't be near the top for that month. MCC, on the other hand, IMHO has the potential to do 200k-ish+.

That's what the old GTA V continues to do every month in NPD.

GTA V Remastered's first month will blow past that.

BeforeU

No what I meant if the bundle was sellin poorly on the U.S., why didn't they drop the price? I highly doubt it sold poorly and I highly doubt Xbone outsold it.
I think Sony went a little greedy for charging $449 for the bundle. They could have comepletly buried the competition if they had it at $399

In their defense, they had physical copies of Destiny and not the downloadable code and plus, why take loss when you are on top and know you can sell it for that price.

Jigolo

Haven't they done this every month this year? I swear Xbox bundles with a free game is everywhere. And it still costs $399 whereas Sony was charging $450 for the Destiny bundle.

Would love to see the crazyness on GAF if Xbox does indeed sell out the PS4. (I doubt it)

Mrbob

They can have a fake price drop though when they drop the price of this bundle to $399 for the holiday season.

GTA V will do far more than 100k, if TLOU R did the numbers it did on a single platform then GTA V is going to do significantly better.

In my opinion of course.

MCC is a FPS coming out against COD AW in an otherwise busy quarter and it's working with a limited install base.

Patroclos

Banned
That's what the old GTA V continues to do every month in NPD.

GTA V Remastered's first month will blow past that.

Yep. Easily. It will skew heavily towards the PS4 as well for sales which further exacerbates the Ones problems. GTA is a system seller, this game is a year old and arguably the pinnacle of the series.

Other than GTA4's dlc GTA has always been sonycentric. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of Sony/Rockstar coming up with some sort of PS4 GTA bundle or deal for the Holidays. Combine that with any sort of performance disparity and it could end up being a thrashing. PS4 owners have proven that they are on board for remasters. Somebody in the thread used TR as an example, thats a little disingenuous, if we take a look at sales of TLoU on PS4 we probably have a much more reliable indicator. Who didn't have that game on PS 3? Anybody? It sold a shit ton and continues to do well.

Isn't GTA5 over 30 million sold? The remastered version is going to sell like crazy. It'll easily be the top selling remastered game.

10+ million sell-through in the USA alone...it's one of the best-selling games OF ALL TIME in the USA.

Sales of GTA V are absolutely ridiculous. The remaster will do wonders on that fact alone.

Top Bottom