• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

OuterLimits

The thing is, the predictions he gets wrong are widely known, but the many he gets right probably go unnoticed (at least, on GAF). That creates the illusion of him being constantly wrong.

Though it does seem he does pretty bad when predicting console sales.

Exactly. It is similar to everyone remembering when their local TV meteorologist messes up a forecast badly.

Cole Slaw

Banned
By being Speedy. The ban is for a whole year as well. Just look up his antics in the Phil Spencer indie parity thread.
The kid got ahead of himself a bit. He will probably end up with a job at Bungie like Luke Smith one day. All he has to do is keep building his brand with fanboy tenacity. Got a good head on his shoulders.

Krilekk

Banned
Even after he changed his mind...

"Michael Pachter projects Sony's latest to outsell Xbox One by 30 percent through 2016, publishers focused on core gamers to benefit"

He continues wrong lol... it is already 100% in 2014.

That's not how it works.He talks about 39 compared to 29 million consoles sold by 2016. It's now 10 to 5.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Actually it's more like this.

fpnJQY3.jpg

Hahaha, maybe, but he used to post here. Once a Gaffer, always a Gaffer.

Unless you're Dennis Dyack.

Verendus

Banned
Verendus
Please consider purchasing the Xbox All-in-One Games and Entertainment System by Microsoft
Well, I hope Microsoft gives me a performance bonus. Whilst Phil is busy making himself look clueless, I feel that I am singlehandedly turning the tides of this "sales war" with my relentless efforts.

Hopefully Satya Nadella is taking notice.

B.O.O.M

lol this thread has been incredibly entertaining! Can't wait for Thursday as it should be as equally or even more entertaining

My personal opinion: No chance in hell PS4 loses this month, especially not by a margin expressed by Pachter. I would be absolutely SHOCKED if he is right on this one

A lot of people have no idea how economy/market competition works. I think I saw the term monopoly being thrown around several times which was hilariously inaccurate use of it. Hats off to the few who actually did their best to correct these wrong notions.

Quite a few users have made comments like, there's a lot of anger, meltdowns, fanboys etc etc in this thread and have I have yet to see a single meltdown so far. Feel like a lazy attempt at being overly defensive when many are arguing against your point. This also applies to pachter and that fanboys tweet. This is just going to make things worse on Thursday if he is wrong, which I fully expect him to be. He is not above criticism.

Just because people engage in heated discussion about this doesn't make them fanboys nor does it make them fanboys because they disagree with you. This specific prediction really is an outlier when it comes to general expectations of those who enjoy following sales trends.

No.

Pachter calls up individual managers at stores like Best Buy and GameStop and finds out how consoles / games sold at *their particular* stores.

He then mixes intuition + NPD precedent + a TINY amount of anecdotal information...to draft a predictions note to clients. He gets this done very quickly because he is exceptionally busy and covers a lot of companies, so he doesn't put much time into it.

He does indeed "make these things up." He does NOT talk with ANY "major players." An intelligent GAFfer makes a more informed prediction.

He really is ioi, then?

To be fair to Patcher he does have a proper day job too.

Yeah, I know, just kidding. But that, as described, is exactly what ioi does for at least a portion of chartzzz's secret sauce calculations.

But of course, he claims that results in accurate numbers, not just predictions.

You don't need to be a subscriber to understand that a guy who makes a very good living making predictions isn't going to reveal his full methodology to anyone willing to spend $25. This is basic common sense.

You guys are insane. Of course he has to reveal his methodology, what he won't tell you is the number of his contacts inside the company or maybe even the names of the "big players" he calls. If he says he's not calling them, he's not calling them. How is that so hard to understand?

To be fair to Patcher he does have a proper day job too.
Pachter's public predictions are moreso meant to guide the market and nudge things this way or that way, not really to "predict". An analyst does not actually spew out his best analysis for free. If you're paying attention, Pachter always advocates for 3rd parties and rarely advocates for non-American companies. He clearly has ulterior motives.

Why would it matter that X1 outsold PS4? Well, it would go to show that Microsoft's aggressive partnerships with 3rd parties (ding ding ding) is something that "works" and should be further encouraged. Look back through Pachter's predictions and 99 out of 100 times he's either encouraging or "predicting a market trend" that ends up being beneficial to 3rd parties in some way.

Bastables

True, it amazes me people don't se this...

I can only presume you guys don't live in the UK, as if you did you would see a country where consumers have had to have the courts come in because the dominant companies have screwed consumers badly for years

Energy
Water
TV
Banks
Internet

all these sectors were dominated by big companies and consumers were getting conned and all have had the courts go in and tear the companies apart to provide competition.

it is a terrible idea to want the PS4 to dominate, yes at the moment there is competition but if trends continue in 4 years there wont be
Nearly all of those areas in the UK were Privatised due to the magic idea that privatisation and the fairy magic of competition would lead to greater efficiencies and better outcomes for government/public. The result of hewing to magical thinking in competition has resulted in is pretty much price gouging monopolies. Those industries you point to as conning consumers are the result of binary thinking : competition good no matter the market/service/product.

Is NPD ever going to track digital sales from PSN/XBL/Steam and Eshop?

They're working on it.

It's not all the way there because they either have to convince Sony + Microsoft + Valve + Nintendo to give up data, or they have to convince every major publisher to do so.

Either of those tasks is exceptionally difficult to achieve.

They're working on it.

It's not all the way there because they either have to convince Sony + Microsoft + Valve + Nintendo to give up data, or they have to convince every major publisher to do so.

Either of those tasks is exceptionally difficult to achieve.

Why are these companies so secretive about their digital sales? Are they afraid that brick and mortar are going to demand even more dlc as digital sales rise?

BokehKing

Banned
Pachter was on gamer tag radio podcast the other day, he said Microsoft was going to do another 'buy a Xbox and get one free' deal possibly in November, guy also admitted to be pro xbox

With that said, I don't see x1 outselling ps4 until November.

If it did outsell Sony in September it will be the biggest upset since Titanfall in March

Why are these companies so secretive about their digital sales? Are they afraid that brick and mortar are going to demand even more dlc as digital sales rise?
Digital sales are that 'unknown' which NPD and analysts can point to when sales are down for a month, i.e. "Software sales were down by 85% compared to last year, but no.... no... the industry isn't having an issue because of DIGITAL SALES, which we won't tell you but please believe when we say that they're great"

Pachter was on gamer tag radio podcast the other day, he said Microsoft was going to do another 'buy a Xbox and get one free' deal possibly in November, guy also admitted to be pro xbox

If it did outsell Sony in September it will be the biggest upset since Titanfall in March

But GTA V bruh.

Cole Slaw

Banned

But did he admit to being pro Xbox because he's pro video games in general, or did he admit to being pro Xbox as opposed to being pro PS4?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Pachter was on gamer tag radio podcast the other day, he said Microsoft was going to do another 'buy a Xbox and get one free' deal possibly in November,

I assume this means buy an XBO and get a game free, not buy an XBO and get a second XBO for free.

jiggle

Well, I hope Microsoft gives me a performance bonus. Whilst Phil is busy making himself look clueless, I feel that I am singlehandedly turning the tides of this "sales war" with my relentless efforts.

Hopefully Satya Nadella is taking notice.

How good is your karma?

A_Gorilla

Banned

Now I know hindsight is always 20/20, but that really wasn't an upset. Neither was the Kinectless XB1 getting outsold in June

EGM1966

Yeah, I know, just kidding. But that, as described, is exactly what ioi does for at least a portion of chartzzz's secret sauce calculations.

But of course, he claims that results in accurate numbers, not just predictions.

I know that you know... actually though it is funny to imagine Patcher actually is behind the v******z and uses it to push his agenda.

Yh...
That stupid generalisation

I don't think it's far fetched to suggest a certain section of the gaming population is hassling the dude considering he just tweeted about it.

But yah, lets pretend though it's the mob of level headed people coming at him feverishly

Kyoufu

People are going bananas on the guy, no? I don't think Patcher really cares which console comes out on top.

Do you really think he cares? Unless he has serious stock in Microsoft i don't see him losing sleep over it.

Are you saying people are challenging his prediction because they're Sony fanboys and not because it's a pretty crazy prediction as per usual even for Mr. Pachter himself?

Top Bottom