• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation are chasing Xbox, when they should be chasing Nintendo.

Bryank75

Banned
Recently I have found PlayStation seems to be giving mixed messages about their strategy regarding exclusives, ports, whether PlayStation is an open or closed platform and where they want to go with cloud gaming.

They seem to be chasing Xbox, a platform that is subsidized by the biggest company in the world by market cap and has yet to 'win' a single generation.... even whether they have ever turned a profit is obfuscated.
The management at PlayStation seem to have lost sight of what made them successful: a closed platform where you can get almost all the big multiplatform games, an excellent selection of first party exclusives and great ease of use.

Ryan recently spoke about exclusives going to PC but downplayed the issue;

PSNow and a string of recent ports have blurred the lines, I now see people saying the same thing in all usual places.... youtube, facebook groups, twitter, neogaf. They say that PlayStation is no longer necessary because eventually the games will come to PC..... people can justify it in a few different ways, they can say 'might as well port and make a bit more money on old games' or if they port to PC and see sales of PlayStation consoles go down significantly, they can say 'oh, now we need to port to PC to make up for that shortfall' .
The main issue is that it is a slippery slope and they are sacrificing to long-term health of the platform for a short term pittance.

Not only that but from a fans perspective it is highly disappointing and results in attacks on the PS community by the PC crowd. Disrespectful, condescending and nasty comments are left everywhere by PC gamers that got or are about to get a PS exclusive ported..... they say the usual nonsense like 'thanks for beta testing for us', 'finally playable at 60 fps', 'it was unplayable on console', 'console peasants' etc etc.
Now, it isn't Sony's job to protect their customers, HOWEVER I think they should want their customers to feel good about playing on PlayStation.... why would I stay on PlayStation if I am made to feel lesser for doing so? If it doesn't feel special, unique or exciting, there is no point in sticking around.

Nintendo just sold 13.4 million copies of Animal Crossing in six weeks... that is success. They did this by building up a game brand over many generations and NOT allowing it to be playable anywhere else. It is the same with Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and others.

They have built this trust with their loyal customers by guaranteeing the games will only ever be playable on Switch and you NEVER see PC gamers saying anything like they do to PlayStation gamers because of it.

Even Xbox, at least communicated their strategy clearly to their customers when they decided to go more open platform, Phil is very communicative with the fanbase and I see plenty of interaction. The same cannot be said of PlayStation at the moment, all the faces of 2013, like Jack Tretton, Shuhei, Adam Boyes and others have disappeared replaced by a robotic, disembodied voice and devoid of any connection.

The games are being delivered, Cerny is doing a great job on the hardware so far but I cannot ignore these huge problems with the direction Playstation has taken. It is time to rebuild the walls and treat the core audience with the respect it deserves.... take a page out of Nintendo's book. Protect your IP's and make sure people know that Sony consoles are the only places these games will appear otherwise you might as well sell the division for some magic beans!

Bryank75

Banned
Sony is leading the industry right now. But I can't see why they can't learn more and adapt better. Playstation Now is atrocious.
I'd like PSNow gone, only the console should be the focus. Streaming is terrible. So is subscription gaming. That's why you don't see Nintendo doing it.

cireza

The management at PlayStation seem to have lost sight of what made them successful
Is this the case ? It seems to me that all 4 PS consoles had great success.

They probably realized that there was money to be made at places where people that don't buy PS consoles go. They probably want to get money from these places, even if it means losing a bit in the currently covered places (home console market). What are these places ? PC and smartphones mainly I guess. This is the exact strategy of MS, but PS consoles still are very successful even without this.

Last edited:

Self

Sony chasing?!

2n8jgWU.jpg

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Is this the case ? It seems to me that all 4 PS consoles had great success.

They probably realized that there was money to be made at places where people that don't buy PS consoles go. They probably want to get money from these places, even if it means losing a bit in the currently covered places (home console market).
and my question is...what happens when people stop buying PlayStation consoles cause 'oh look, now I can get it on my PC or stream it'
This could be potentially millions of console sales lost and tens of millions of software sales.

MagnesG

Banned
Disrespectful, condescending and nasty comments are left everywhere by PC gamers that got or are about to get a PS exclusive ported..... they say the usual nonsense like 'thanks for beta testing for us', 'finally playable at 60 fps', 'it was unplayable on console', 'console peasants' etc etc.
Ironically the weak ass Switch got a hell lot more of shit coming from PS stans.

Didn't they try chasing Nintendo in the handheld arena and fail miserably? No one is going to take the niche Nintendo has. The company is an institution. Sony is doing more than fine in its current state.

Daymos

You have a point. I do like my playstation(s) but they have mostly been there to play 3rd party games in a superior fashion, except single player gran turismo, but gt sport killed that like an ugly guy dumping his hot girlfriend. A decade ago I hated playing on PC because of mouse and keyboard (built my own PC in the 8800gt era), but I believe that's mostly a moot point nowdays. I still like physical gaming so that's still a plus to playstation gaming over PC.

I did the xbox thing years ago, xbox died, xbox 360 died, I'll not do that again. I could build my own PC again though, or more likely just be lazy and buy a gaming laptop as 1080p gaming is fine with me. Overall though, you are right in saying I don't really need a playstation in my life. I'm huge into zelda and metroid, and xenoblade is great too.. even though I don't really follow mario I still need a nintendo.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I'd like PSNow gone, only the console should be the focus. Streaming is terrible. So is subscription gaming. That's why you don't see Nintendo doing it.

It makes no sense as well. The marketing around it is very confusing. Neglected step-child of Sony. I'd prefer they just defer their games to Steam. Or even have their own launcher on PC.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Well, Nintendo are selling very well in terms of pace of hardware and software. My issue is with Sony chasing streaming and PC... it needs to stop, only place to play exclusives should be their console.
Sony was the first with a streaming service, and that didn't change their exclusives priority stance. And HZD going to PC looks more like a way to attract PC gamers due to the sequel coming to PS5 than all games going to PC.

Gamerguy84

Sony has been bad at communication for a while.

MS and Sony will pick up some ideas off each other if they feel its a good strategy that can let the other gain ground.

I witnessed Sony copy off MS with the PS4 design which was just getting back to games and no gimmicks.

Over the course of the gen though I witnessed MS try and copy every move Sony made. Except for when they rolled out BC, but with the lack of quantity of quality 1st party they needed to do something.

kyoji

I really feel like people are blowing the exclusives to pc out of proportion starting with that vtx guy. They will use the same strategy they have been using for some years now which is 2nd party either launch with cross play day and date (multiplayer games) single player pc release years later after sales have died down. The only new element maybe if they choose to implement the later to their 1st party lineup, but it sure as hell wont be day and date releases and probably not even a year afterwards either. Sony are not that stupid. They wont be investing into their own ip only to release on another platform and limit the impact of there own platform solution. MLB the show will be one of the few exceptions.

cireza

This could be potentially millions of console sales lost and tens of millions of software sales.
Let's say a PS console sells 100 millions. You might lose a few millions ? Wow, who cares ? How much money does Sony make on selling a console ? 50$ ? 10$ ? 0$ ? Hardware is not the driving factor of profit.

Even if they sell 5 millions less consoles, they open up a service that can address 100, 200, 500 millions or probably more consumers. If some of them buy games or take a PS Now subscription, even if it is a single or a couple months, they will quickly recover from the small loss of selling a few less consoles. Sure the "number of consoles sold" metric will be less impressive, but nobody cares except a few hardcore console warriors.

If Microsoft is doing this (and you can be sure they make a profit), there is a good reason to it. Don't underestimate Microsoft, they know how to read the global market of devices and consumers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The games are being delivered, Cerny is doing a great job on the hardware so far but I cannot ignore these huge problems with the direction Playstation has taken. It is time to rebuild the walls and treat the core audience with the respect it deserves.... take a page out of Nintendo's book. Protect your IP's and make sure people know that Sony consoles are the only places these games will appear otherwise you might as well sell the division for some magic beans!
A lot of people don't seem to understand what you are saying or didn't take the time to read your point of view. I agree with it, but I see it as a good thing. Walls around a system isn't a good thing for gamers, so I'm happy Sony is following Xbox when it comes to getting their software and services on every platform. It's about the player not the device. (subtle Microsoft PR)

cireza

I will add that it is only natural for a company that has the necessary budget and people to do it, to try to reach a wider market.

You can and should first and foremost have a profitable activity on a market where you have complete mastery (which is selling PS consoles, games and services). But if you have the possibility to try expanding ? No reason to ignore it.

Nintendo is a smaller company, they concentrate on their core market and source of profits, but even them, have expanded a bit in smartphone territory recently. Simply, they don't have the driving force of Sony or Nintendo. Otherwise, they would probably try to be even more aggressive and cover more territory.

If your TV could play a Mario game, a lot of people would just buy the Mario game and call it a day.

Last edited:
PS PLUS in late PS3 era was incredibly influencial. I think that they have a clear vision of their future, but they still don't invest much in services bc their classic market is incredibly strong (they are making record profits, record digital sales, biggest first party sales in their history and ps4 will be soon the platform with most software sales ever). But they are on it. Plus and Gaikai (PS Now) are there.

Gamernyc78

Banned
This is golden smh. Sony has led with their msg all the way through. While Xbox 360 was being mentioned as a media hub ps3 was the one tht had full Dolby surround sound 7.1, Real stereoscopic, 3D, Web Browser, Bluray etc but thy didn't harp or focus on tht. Some of those things were later added on Xbox. Fast forward shareplay, share button, innovations in remote play and Psnow and guess what not super focused but led the way competitors are of course late in implementing. Sony has been innovating and their strategy is crystalline so much so competitors have copied their blueprint. Sony releases wire article about next Gen console guess who followed a few weeks later with almost same talk just in an online video. Sony made their respective ips less linear guess what's Gears talking point was? Sony mentions for years allowing dev freedom and letting them realize their vision and guess whose pr jumped to say the same. Psnow has been streaming games up to 720p all these years and guess whose new streaming services previews have all been in 720p.

Strategy is clear and winning. The focus on awesome, goty, first party games and sequels and secondary are awesome features like Shareplay, remote play, Psnow, PSVR etc but still get alot of love. Most if not all copied in some degree later on.

Games going to pc narrative is frivolous and moot as games (the little tht have) don't go to pc or even Psnow till years later so it doesn't affect anything. I'm glad thy don't cannabalize their sales and have said many time thy are focused on AAA, single players games and of course mp games but no subscription pass filler.

Ppl hear and see what thy want to see but thy have been crystal clear imo.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This post is baffling and wrong on so many levels that to address it fully would take time I don't have. I'll leave it at this.

The idea that porting old games to PC is a negative thing overall is astoundingly dumb. The amount of money Sony loses on hardware sales from the small portion of their audience who will now wait for games to come to PC, is lower than the amount of money they will make from people buying those titles, whether for the first time or not. Hardware does not drive profits. The die-hard attitude from fanboys you see online is not in any way representative of the overall audience, they're simply a very angry, vocal group who feel short changed because other people now have access to the same games at a later date with a lower pay barrier.

But really, you're "made to feel lesser" and "disrespected" because other people can now play the same games without buying the proprietary hardware..? Really? If you want to skip a console because the games might be available on PC in 2 years then that's up to you, but the people that feel that way are only a fraction of Sony's customer base.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
PSP and PSVita anyone?

Tried and learned their mistake

Chasing after someone that's not playing your ball game is stupid

"I'm sell new cars, fuck the scooter place down the street! Let's hit their market!"

PSP was pretty successful, and Vita really was a victim of the fad for smartphone games more than anything else to be fair.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Focus on narrtive-driven cinematic experiences will be the downfall of Sony (and maybe Mircosoft. Not sure about them, though. They might have a different strategy with all the studios they bought).

Arthimura

If Sony starts to release their first-party games on PC on release or after one year or two, i will be giving a lot more attention to Nintendo games next generation.

What i like about PlayStation are the exclusive games and being able to play multis. If they start releasing everything on PC, i might as well upgrade my PC to play Sony + Microsoft first-party titles, and have Nintendo for exclusives.

AlexxKidd

Just my take, it's mostly a discussion about the recent ports and the fallout of that. I don't think it is being taken seriously enough and damages the platform.

I agree with this. Death Stranding was understandable if it was the only way you could secure Kojima, Predator, Detroit, Journey, etc., are also understandable situations. But big AAA single-player experiences like Horizon and Bloodborne (if true) tells me some is steering the ship who shouldn't be steering, and is leading them down the wrong path if their aim is to sell as many consoles as possible.

If you want to skip a console because the games might be available on PC in 2 years then that's up to you, but the people that feel that way are only a fraction of Sony's customer base.

Exactly, even calling it a fraction is overstating it. A few ports coming a year+ later to PC mean nothing.

Sony honestly doesn't give a fuck about Nintendo because it does not take sales from them. There are not "Are you getting a Switch or a PS5 this gen?". The only thing they share about the demographics is that they like videogames. Microsoft on the other hand targets almost the same demographic to a tee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom