• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

Cold-Steel said:
Hey guys, regarding Automatic Download...

I've set mine up to go from 6-8am in the morning, however, I noticed that it isn't turning my system on whatsoever.

I've got an fat PS3 and when 6am rolls around - the system just remains in standby. Doesn't turn on and just stays in standby.

Is anyone else having this problem? I was expecting the system to just boot up and do it's thing but I don't even think it's doing anything.

I'm confused - does the system turn itself on (beep and all) or does it remain in standby to download updates?
You might not need any updates, or at least not any for the past few games you've played. I thought the same thing about mine I saw a few posts saying it's for games you've played recently. So I put in Uncharted 2 bc I haven't played in a while and figured there would be an update (and there was) but I didn't download the update, just went straight to the game then exited. Then set my auto download for the nearest time and turned the PS3 off. About 20 minutes later it turned on, downloaded then turned off by itself :)

Mithos

badcrumble said:
You know that for the free 1 hour games you have to download the entire game, right? Good luck doing that with anything enormously cutscene-heavy like FFXIII.

So what you're saying is we can forget about the 1 hour play thingy in ANYTHING remotely interesting, and just see small Indie-games and PSN-titles for that service, GREAT Sony what an epic failure.

Currently the only cool thing is that yellow + sign at your gamertag, and the autodownload/upload feature (that seems to not work for many people atm).

Anyways as you probably saw, for ME to be interested of PS+ they (Sony) need to offer up the BIG boys/girl in the service, or some really SICK (cool/good) features really worth paying for.

Cold-Steel said:
Hey guys, regarding Automatic Download...

I've set mine up to go from 6-8am in the morning, however, I noticed that it isn't turning my system on whatsoever.

I've got an fat PS3 and when 6am rolls around - the system just remains in standby. Doesn't turn on and just stays in standby.

Is anyone else having this problem? I was expecting the system to just boot up and do it's thing but I don't even think it's doing anything.

I'm confused - does the system turn itself on (beep and all) or does it remain in standby to download updates?

It only does it every 48 hours, and if there are not any games that require automatic updates, it won't do it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
DMeisterJ said:
The first hour of any RPG is the most boring part. Don't hold your breath on that one.

Is it just me or did I notice that a number of people were blown away by the demo of FFXIII (Japanese demo that is)? :p

see5harp

badcrumble said:
You know that for the free 1 hour games you have to download the entire game, right? Good luck doing that with anything enormously cutscene-heavy like FFXIII.

You know what would be really awesome, is just making demos for PSN titles standard. I've never been upset by the lack of actual demos for full games on the PS Store and it's obvious it was just something easy to add to the deal because they had already planned to put full games on demand in the store.

AndyD

aka andydumi
see5harp said:
You know what would be really awesome, is just making demos for PSN titles standard. I've never been upset by the lack of actual demos for full games on the PS Store and it's obvious it was just something easy to add to the deal because they had already planned to put full games on demand in the store.

Actually that's one of the sticking points.

A few independent devs have said they could not have afforded the process of creating a demo out of their game prior to release. A demo needs to be submitted separately and approved so its a lot more work apparently. Some of those demos came later after the dev made some money from initial sales.

So maybe this will be a way to allow PSN game demos without adding any sort of work for devs to begin with. And a half hour for PSN games is more than enough as a demo time.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mithos said:
Currently the only cool thing is that yellow + sign at your gamertag, and the autodownload/upload feature (that seems to not work for many people atm).

It works if you have played some games. It looks at the last 10 played then the next 10 then next every 48 hours. So if you just sit there 5 minutes after turning it on and not having played anything it wont update stuff. Its a feature that I think will come into its stride in a few weeks once people actually start playing games.

V_Ben

Banned
AndyD said:

A few independent devs have said they could not have afforded the process of creating a demo out of their game prior to release. A demo needs to be submitted separately and approved so its a lot more work apparently. Some of those demos came later after the dev made some money from initial sales.

So maybe this will be a way to allow PSN game demos without adding any sort of work for devs to begin with. And a half hour for PSN games is more than enough as a demo time.

Thats what i'm hoping for. A simple demo API that will impose a time limit that will unlock once the game has been bought. It's simple, and would likely feel more full-featured than a limited demo.

see5harp

AndyD said:

Okay if they plan to release every PSN game with a time limit in place of a demo, then yea, I see the benefit. So far it doesn't seem like that's part of their plans though.

AwRy108

JesseZao said:

In this instance, the "s" could stand for "shaking" or "scratching". I'm a gamer with lots of disposable income, and even I'm struggling to see the value in PSN+. Maybe the coming months will be able to change my opinion.

I can't be the only PS3 owner out there that already purchased Wipeout HD, etc., so, at the moment, there's much less incentive for "us" to sign up.

AwRy108 said:
In this instance, the "s" could stand for "shaking" or "scratching". I'm a gamer with lots of disposable income, and even I'm struggling to see the value in PSN+. Maybe the coming months will be able to change my opinion.

I can't be the only PS3 owner out there that already purchased Wipeout HD, etc., so, at the moment, there's much less incentive for "us" to sign up.

That PSN+ is basicly for the new slim users. Old users probably will have 20% of what they offer, and the other 80% we simply didn't bought it because we weren't interested enought. But in the end you get (well, until you stop paying) PSN games, minis and psone at 1$ each game, plus the other free DLC, themes, etc.

It's still a good deal, unless you bought nearly all the store or you only like a few games.

It gives a little the impression of being a "psn sharing group" (people making a sharing account and then buying each one the games that they want). You pay much less for the games, but you got a lot of games that probably you would never buy for the store price. And if you leave the group, you wont be able to play all those games.

So far I've got $11 of dlc for free that I hadn't bothered to pick up yet. So I'm off to a good start for my $50. I also hadn't purchased wipeout (had no intention to) so there's that as well (even though I don't really care about it).

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
People have been saying that for weeks now.

I gotz a big yellow plus sign next to my name and u don't!
Indifferent2.gif

Chris_C

So far the only other person on my friends list with Plus is Jim :p

Only have about 20 folks on my list tho.

I'd love to see Demon's Souls, Folkore and Valkyrie Chronicles up for a 1hr trial, all games I've heard good things about, but am not 100% sure I want.

I figure at least at first though, we'll be seeing first party titles mainly offered for trial... I actually wouldn't mind Genji, I liked what I played of it enough to fork out $30 (I live in Nigeria, would cost more to get it here).

Sure hope they plan on putting a retail game up for trial every week or every other week. Would be kind of daft to only put one up each month.

Age of Zombies is indeed a stellar little game... unfortunately I got it last month.

Oh, and Sony, now that you've got the HD Classics line, how about some PS2 game 1hr trials?

Dwayne

Mithos said:
So what you're saying is we can forget about the 1 hour play thingy in ANYTHING remotely interesting, and just see small Indie-games and PSN-titles for that service, GREAT Sony what an epic failure.

And then if you like the game, you don't have to download anything but a key to unlock the rest of it. I know what you're getting at, but you're going to get a lot more titles on the store if developers don't have to rebuild old projects into one hour demos than otherwise.

Plus, a lot of titles aren't really all that big. Half the demos on the store weigh in at 1gig, while the full LBP is 2gigs.

Nakiro

I'm still not sure what items we get to keep even though we stop using the service and which ones we wouldn't be able to play anymore.. that's the only thing that irks me about this whole thing.

spats said:

I recognized all 5 games in a second but still I was never even close to win with all those people :lol

For some reason, people had problems recognizing Critter Crunch even though it was just one of the level's backgrounds. I hope it's not because PAL people didn't buy it!

edit: WAIT, what. I won?
Has to be a mistake :lol

edit2: nope, I won. Thank you Critter Crunch, I love you even more now :lol

code will expire in two months, but I'll wait as I already have most of the stuff now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidusDave said:
I recognized all 5 games in a second but still I was never even close to win with all those people :lol

For some reason, people had problems recognizing Critter Crunch even though it was just one of the level's backgrounds. I hope it's not because PAL people didn't buy it!

edit: WAIT, what. I won?
Has to be a mistake :lol

edit2: nope, I won. Thank you Critter Crunch, I love you even more now :lol

code will expire in two months, but I'll wait as I already have most of the stuff now.

Just saw this in the comments section. Congrats SD :D

TTP said:
Just saw this in the comments section. Congrats SD :D

thx ^^

btw. they will make more contests for PSN+ but probably something less hectic.

Also, I think it's very interesting that they can give you PSN+ months directly via PSN code. So maybe they will end up selling them in stores, too. This could make PSN+ much cheaper similar to XBL Gold codes because they don't contain a real money value (unlike PSN cards).

CozMick

Banned
Nakiro said:
Does it tell you which items you own and which you are "renting" once you're a memeber or it just kinda wings it..

Press Triangle on the item and go down to information,

It will tell you when the "rental" expires

Which, if you bought the 1 year sub would be 360+ days, but remember if you extend the sub after the year has past you still get to keep the content.

Nakiro

CozMick said:
Press Triangle on the item and go down to information,

It will tell you when the "rental" expires

Which, if you bought the 1 year sub would be 360+ days, but remember if you extend the sub after the year has past you still get to keep the content.
Oh thanks, that's what I was looking for!

I wonder if SCE is gonna add any BD games that don't have the trial option. I mean are they gonna add one next week or just wait until next month and add one game a month? There are a lot of 3rd party games on 360 on demand that I'm sure PS3 users would like to have on their HDD as well. GTAIV for example would probably be the same size as the install file from the BD. Also why is LBP not available for purchase outside of PSN+ in EU and JP? Anyone can buy inFamous in the US, but that's not the case overseas and in JP you apparently don't get to keep your copy of LBP forever either.

Finally, if I ever get PSN+ I want to be able to not have that ugly + sign next to my PSN ID.

I'm probably the only person on GAF that has bought Plus on a US account AND on a JAPANESE account, but here goes. I bought the full 365 day subscription, but a cool thing is that with JP you also get an option to subscribe for 30 days, for 500 yen (roughly $5 USD).

Something strange though, it seems you can't boot up the Everybody's Putter Golf (Minna no Putter Golf) trial demo (it give a copyright protection error - as in you can only boot up while on your JP account), while you can boot the other one I tested (Power Pro Baseball 2010).
I'm going to download and test out the DD LBP and see if that boots, guessing it does, so that's good when they give out free games (though I probably already will own most of what they give away).

The other offerings are standard like the other regions - exclusive avatars, all the other Toro character avatars (that you can of course only use with the account that bought it), discounts, etc.

info on the first month:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/29/playstation-plus-subscribers-in-japan-get-these-items/

I'll see how the JP Plus pans out as the year goes on, I only subscribed due to the possibility of free/discounted exclusive-toJP PSN and JP PS1/PCEngine/TG16 etc games and the fact I can save on not having to buy JP PSN Yen tickets every time I want something.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
krae_man said:
Has Sony ever said why Fieldrunners is MIA?
AFAIK, PSN+ content won't all be dumped on the 1st store update of the month; It'll trickle out during the month.

angelfly

jetsetfluken said:
I'm probably the only person on GAF that has bought Plus on a US account AND on a JAPANESE account, but here goes. I bought the full 365 day subscription, but a cool thing is that with JP you also get an option to subscribe for 30 days, for 500 yen (roughly $5 USD).

Something strange though, it seems you can't boot up the Everybody's Putter Golf (Minna no Putter Golf) trial demo (it give a copyright protection error - as in you can only boot up while on your JP account), while you can boot the other one I tested (Power Pro Baseball 2010).
I'm going to download and test out the DD LBP and see if that boots, guessing it does, so that's good when they give out free games (though I probably already will own most of what they give away).

The other offerings are standard like the other regions - exclusive avatars, all the other Toro character avatars (that you can of course only use with the account that bought it), discounts, etc.

info on the first month:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/29/playstation-plus-subscribers-in-japan-get-these-items/

I'll see how the JP Plus pans out as the year goes on, I only subscribed due to the possibility of free/discounted exclusive-toJP PSN and JP PS1/PCEngine/TG16 etc games and the fact I can save on not having to buy JP PSN Yen tickets every time I want something.
Jikkyou Power Pro is a demo while Minna no Putter is a title trial. The title trials have to be initiated on the Plus acount. After that all accounts can play it until it expires. As for LBP it works fine on both my JP and NA accounts.

BobTheFork said:
Nice work Dave. I wish I had seen that. 3 months is how long I plan to wait until I reevaluate Plus; a free trial sounds great.

thanks again (also@mr_chun).
I was really lucky though (and I counted the comments wrong so I thought I lost anyway), the blog was almost killed and they improvised quite a lot (e.g. for the second image people went to their flicker account first and knew the answer before the link was posted :lol ).
as I mentioned, they want to do more&different contests so you may have a chance then.

A free "trial" is indeed exactly want I wanted.
Though the code expires on September 2nd which is also the day the third PSN+ month would start (I already have most of the content of month1+2).
Do I want to find out which will happen first? no ^^ oh well, Heavy Rain theme&avatars are nice as well. I hope for a beta in the comings months, though.

btw kebby from the blog even answered with the PSN account he sent the codes with, they are really more communicative than the US blog folks :p

my fl has about 40 fw3.40 people and only 4 of them have PSN+
I guess starting a CGC will be PSN+ only ;)

interesting @ the 1-month PSN+ option of the jp store.
Though there I actually would like to have a PSone flatrate to try out all the jp only games w/o buying them ^^

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
AwRy108 said:

this.

hokey1

I think the only problem I have with this program since I joined is that I am less inclined to buy PSN games than before. I am afraid that after I buy it I could have gotten it at a reduced or even free price. It encourages me not to buy games. This can't be what Sony envisioned.

SolidusDave said:
thx ^^

btw. they will make more contests for PSN+ but probably something less hectic.

Also, I think it's very interesting that they can give you PSN+ months directly via PSN code. So maybe they will end up selling them in stores, too. This could make PSN+ much cheaper similar to XBL Gold codes because they don't contain a real money value (unlike PSN cards).

You can already just buy a $50 PSN card and purchase a year so it really wouldn't make much of a difference whether or not they do start selling cards specifically for PS+.

Top Bottom