• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

Carl

Quite a lot of my friends have now subbed up. 19 out of the ~50 that have logged in since 3.40 have a + next to their PSN.

Mind you, lots of mine are from various forums...

netguy503

hokey1 said:
I think the only problem I have with this program since I joined is that I am less inclined to buy PSN games than before. I am afraid that after I buy it I could have gotten it at a reduced or even free price. It encourages me not to buy games. This can't be what Sony envisioned.

Not if they continue to have "day one" deals on all DLC/ PSN games going forward. The "day one" Fat Princess dlc (even if it's only 1-3 bucks off) last week is a step in the right direction and them saying publicly now that Playstation Plus will be throughout the month makes me more confident that this might be a reality (it's somewhat what I wanted when I signed up). Really, how hard is it for Sony to have a deal for $3 dollars off a new game when, say its a 10 dollar game, they are still getting $7 dollars from every purchase PLUS (lol, see what I did there) your $50 yearly sign up fee. If the developer's have an issue with it SONY can just give them a percentage of that $50 profit from their premium service.

I really don't see who loses here PLUS (see, I did it again) if they do "day 1" price cuts on DLC and keep that on a steady pattern even more people will sign up at another $50 each giving the developers/SONY even more money to play with and making them a good size profit.

krae_man

If I end up getting plus, it's not going to change my Downloadable game purchases. I'll use it to play games I never would have bought in the first place.

Not one friend out of over 50. Most of my friends don't visit boards unless they need game help or the news grabs the story. I'm going to put a guess that P+ is well under 30,000 subs and will max out with what it offers at just under 65,000 for the year. For a bunch of games already purchased or that would have never been bought anyway; a high sense of win for Sony without hard #'s.

the 3 free months and qore pushed me over the fence. not a whole lot to be excited about atm but i expect it to pick up. im also the only one in my friends list with the cross

netguy503

Rollo Larson said:
the 3 free months and qore pushed me over the fence. not a whole lot to be excited about atm but i expect it to pick up. im also the only one in my friends list with the cross

the cross looks stupid IMO and I'm a subscriber. I bet alot of people will like to go back to how it was before when the novelty wears off. Where they placed it was also poor judgment IMO. Definitely NOT the reason for my membership.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm going to plus up when after I make it to a GS to get a 50 buck card or to the bank to deposit the money to buy Plus... Why am I wasting 50 bucks on this?!?!?!

I bought my 1-year sub last night due to the 3 months extra and the fact that I will use Hulu Plus(?), along with the hope that cross-game chat will come, even though it sucks it would be + only.

But from about my ~75 or so friends on psn, 29 currently have Plus, but bear in mind, 99% of my friends are forum visitors from around the web

netguy503

Patriotsbball5460 said:
I bought my 1-year sub last night due to the 3 months extra and the fact that I will use Hulu Plus(?), along with the hope that cross-game chat will come, even though it sucks it would be + only.

But from about my ~75 or so friends on psn, 29 currently have Plus, but bear in mind, 99% of my friends are forum visitors from around the web

Actually, that's the good thing about Plus. Since so many people are getting Plus cross game chat (when it comes out) will probably be free for everyone as Sony will already have their fill of money.:D

And actually, I hear at least 700 people (probably more) have subscribed to the service in NA alone. I say this because someone on another forum said he saw the Fat Princess avatars (out for only Plus subscribers so far) had around 700 people rate it so far and you can only rate the items you've purchased. 700 X $50= is quite a nice bit of change for just your first week alone. And I wouldn't doubt those numbers with the amount of people who purchase HOME junk which is STUPID if you ask me.

netguy503 said:
And actually, I hear at least 700 people (probably more) have subscribed to the service in NA alone. I say this because someone on another forum said he saw the Fat Princess avatars (out for only Plus subscribers so far) had around 700 people rate it so far and you can only rate the items you've purchased. 700 X $50= is quite a nice bit of change for just your first week alone. And I wouldn't doubt those numbers with the amount of people who purchase HOME junk which is STUPID if you ask me.

I would assume the number in NA alone would be well into the thousands of subscribers, most people probably haven't even realised that you can rate content yet.

Also the plus symbol next to your name really isnt anything to write home about.

PTCoakley said:
You can already just buy a $50 PSN card and purchase a year so it really wouldn't make much of a difference whether or not they do start selling cards specifically for PS+.

(Sony)retailers could basically sell the PSN+ sub codes at whatever (low) price they want as it has no real value, they can't really do that with $50 PSN cards as those hold 50 real bucks.

netguy503

kyo_daikun said:
I would assume the number in NA alone would be well into the thousands of subscribers, most people probably haven't even realised that you can rate content yet.

Also the plus symbol next to your name really isnt anything to write home about.

Oh yeah, I heard that 700 number mid week (like Thursday) I'm quite sure it's at least close to if not over a thousand now. That's not bad especially since their first week still has a few days left in it ( and it's a long holiday weekend so alot of gamers will be on their consoles since they don't have work/ can't get on their systems on the weekdays) so I suspect alot more people will purchase memberships this weekend.

That's further why I don't know why they can't do weekly price reductions on their old and brand new PSN games. They are obviously making quite a profit off this and they can give money to the game developers if they miss the 3 dollars less per game the Playstation Plus price would be on their game. Who knows, maybe they are thinking of doing weekly deals. Hopefully Tuesday will surprise me.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Last time I checked (2 minutes ago), over 1,700 rated the Fat Princess avatars (or something that's PSN exclusive). I'm guessing around 2,000 subscribers in NA alone.

netguy503

ULTROS! said:
Last time I checked (2 minutes ago), over 1,700 rated the Fat Princess avatars (or something that's PSN exclusive). I'm guessing around 2,000 subscribers in NA alone.

Recession says WHAT!? Sony made alot of money in less than a week off this. Especially based on a service so vague and coming off a TERRIBLE second year of Qore. They must be doing something right.:lol

Yea, now crossgamechat can be free!:D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't get it, I thought people said PSN+ looked like crap before it was released and it's way too expensive. :lol

ULTROS!

darkwing said:
hmm i didn't rate avatars i got from PS+ yet, don't think that's a good indicator of sales, same as ratings on the iTunes

Actually, the only ones who can rate them are the only ones who purchased such item. If it's a PSN+ exclusive, you have to purchase PSN+ in order to get it then you can rate it. This means that 1,700 people surely purchased PSN+.

netguy503

darkwing said:
hmm i didn't rate avatars i got from PS+ yet, don't think that's a good indicator of sales, same as ratings on the iTunes

The point is detracting the people with that figure saying I only have "x number of people on my friends list with a + sign to their name...sony am fail lolz". The number of people who bought this are in the thousands whether we think this service is vague/pointless/etc. Sony is obviously making QUITE a bit of money off this and the first week isn't even near over yet.

darkwing said:
yeah but i mean there must a lot too who didn't rate or even downloaded the avatars

I think he was using at as minimal figure, he has said a few times that he realises that not every subscriber will rate/dl the content.

ULTROS!

I think it's good enough, it gives you an idea the minimal number of people who downloaded it.

This is better than allowing to rate the download despite never purchasing it. :p

Oh correct me if I'm wrong, but does FFVII have the highest rating count?

Does anyone know when the extra 3 months promotion will end?

I already own Wipeout HD so I was thinking of just signing up next month.

edit: Nevermind, I found the answer in this thread: "Promo ends August 3rd."

edit2: I just read that the next Playstation Plus update is August 4th. So there is no point in waiting...

Jtrizzy

I really can't find a reason to buy this right now, and I'm a sucker for shit like premium avatars and dynamic themes. I'm sure some demo or beta will come along that will draw me in.

DIrtyWeasel said:

edit2: I just read that the next Playstation Plus update is August 4th. So there is no point in waiting...

Well you may as well wait till August 2nd, it seems to count down by days, not just the month you signed up, I saw mine somewhere saying I have 361 days left.

Irish

So, do the deals last from month to month as long as you were subscribed during the month that certain deals were going on? (I already subscribed, but I'm not 100% on how it works.)

CozMick

Banned
I love these "I don't have a Plus, that makes me cool" sorta people.

What exactly are the people that paid for Plus actually losing really?

In the first month I gained a £20 game, a £13 game, 2 99p Minis, 2 £1.59 themes, 2 20p avatars and a £4 Psone game.

On top of that I get discounts on dlc that I may or may not buy.

Their loss, I guess.

:lol

kyo_daikun said:
Well you may as well wait till August 2nd, it seems to count down by days, not just the month you signed up, I saw mine somewhere saying I have 361 days left.

Could someone confirm this for 1 year and/or 3 months subscription who has purchased PSN+ not on the first day? So if you buy it today, do you have 365 days left?

Because this would mean signing up in the middle of a month would yield you the content of 4 or 13 months instead of 3 or 12.

I'm not hopping on Plus anytime soon until there is even more benefits for it like more free games and etc. If I can get 50 dollars worth of PS1 games being on Plus then I'm in.

SolidusDave said:
Could someone confirm this for 1 year and/or 3 months subscription who has purchased PSN+ not on the first day? So if you buy it today, do you have 365 days left?

Because this would mean signing up in the middle of a month would yield you the content of 4 or 13 months instead of 3 or 12.

Well I have a year sub, I cant remember exactly where I saw it on my account but I know there's an item in playstation home you get when your a plus member, when you look at its details it says how many days left you have on your plus subscription.

They cant let you pay on August 15th then cut you off next year on August 1st, you wouldn't be getting a full year then.

Crakatak187 said:
I'm not hopping on Plus anytime soon until there is even more benefits for it like more free games and etc. If I can get 50 dollars worth of PS1 games being on Plus then I'm in.

I just picked up Plus yesterday and one of the main reasons I got it was for PS1 games.
I know there isn't much out there for Plus users right now but, we have a year to go.

Odrion

Banned
netguy503 said:
Recession says WHAT!? Sony made alot of money in less than a week off this. Especially based on a service so vague and coming off a TERRIBLE second year of Qore. They must be doing something right.:lol

Yea, now crossgamechat can be free!:D
yeah, ten thousand dollars is something to a million dollar corporation

ULTROS!

Odrion said:
yeah, ten thousand dollars is something to a million dollar corporation

More like a $100,000 for the less than a week of release in NA.

Money is still money. :p

angelfly said:
Jikkyou Power Pro is a demo while Minna no Putter is a title trial. The title trials have to be initiated on the Plus acount. After that all accounts can play it until it expires. As for LBP it works fine on both my JP and NA accounts.

Alright, cool. Kind of relieving, because when it blocked my NA account from accessing it I thought that all "full games" from JP Plus wouldn't work on an NA account, but it definitely does.
When you do download Putter Golf though, it gets removed from the Plus section and only found in your download history - and no way of purchasing the game (I manually went to it and it just has a red bag icon/rate option only). I guess you have to wait for the month to go up until it the trial expires and you are able to purchase it.

Interested in seeing how the rest of the year compares with JP, US and EU Plus.

netguy503

DIrtyWeasel said:

The next MAJOR update is August 4th, you are correct. But the official Playstation blog tweeted recently that we will get updates throughout the week and if you miss signing up this month you risk being able to access any content from this month as everything will change from month to month (at least that's how I heard this will work).

Majine

Banned
You could say that the whole "end of subscription, loose all free games" is a bastard move, but it's actually quite smart of them. In a year I'm gonna have like 60 games, and will probably resubscribe. :lol You got me, Sony.

Afrikan

Majine said:
You could say that the whole "end of subscription, loose all free games" is a bastard move, but it's actually quite smart of them. In a year I'm gonna have like 60 games, and will probably resubscribe. :lol You got me, Sony.

I don't think it'll add up to 60 games.....its just the free ones.....so maybe 12 -16 games.

you'll still keep the ones you buy.

or am I reading your post wrong.

Elios83

Sorry if this has been already asked but basically all the contents in the Plus folder on the Store will be changed every month? So people have one month to download them before they get changed right? Even to get the discounts on DLCs?

Btw I think plus offers a lot of value for the money but for the first two months it's full of things I already own or I don't care about. Let's see if month 3 and 4 make me jump in.

Kittonwy

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I don't get it, I thought people said PSN+ looked like crap before it was released and it's way too expensive. :lol

Teh power of teh golden plus is teh powerful.
Indifferent2.gif

CozMick

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Teh power of teh golden plus is teh powerful.
Indifferent2.gif

QF the fucking T.

My first day of PS+ I got 10+ messages from people asking how to get the Plus Icon.

8 of those actually bought it............just for the icon

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
CozMick said:
QF the fucking T.

My first day of PS+ I got 10+ messages from people asking how to get the Plus Icon.

8 of those actually bought it............just for the icon
Holy shit mankind.

Majine

Banned
Afrikan said:
I don't think it'll add up to 60 games.....its just the free ones.....so maybe 12 -16 games.

you'll still keep the ones you buy.

or am I reading your post wrong.
I dunno about US but in EU there are 4 free games this month. If it keeps up, 4x12=48 so maybe I pulled 60 out of the air, but still.

krae_man

DJ Crimson said:
Anybody know this? I'm getting my check on the 9th and would like to get that offer before it isn't valid.

I think it is untill August 3rd(expires with the store publish). So it's good up untill the second months stuff is available to download.

krae_man

SolidusDave said:
(Sony)retailers could basically sell the PSN+ sub codes at whatever (low) price they want as it has no real value, they can't really do that with $50 PSN cards as those hold 50 real bucks.

PSN Plus retail cards are coming. Sony said so in one of the blog posts.

Irish said:
So, do the deals last from month to month as long as you were subscribed during the month that certain deals were going on? (I already subscribed, but I'm not 100% on how it works.)
I'd like to know this as well. Say if I subscribe now, and something in August comes out that I want but I'm away on Vacation until September, will I be able to go and download the stuff from August after the new 'update' is out? I believe I read something saying yes but I'd like some confirmation before I bite on this.

Top Bottom