• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
mr_chun said:
Uh theoretically yes, you could log into your PSN account on another PS3, 'purchase' the titles but not download them, and then get them back at home. I don't see why that wouldn't work.
You could also use remote play on a PSP/SonyEricson Phone/PC to log into your PS3 and queue the download.

JesseZao

So you say Wipeout HD will expire without +, but it doesn't have an expiration date like all of the other content. I had the trial downloaded since February and the "triangle" info didn't change once I downloaded the unlock key. Anyone else show an expiration on Wipeout HD? Maybe it's just a glitch.

mr_chun

JesseZao said:
So you say Wipeout HD will expire without +, but it doesn't have an expiration date like all of the other content. I had the trial downloaded since February and the "triangle" info didn't change once I downloaded the unlock key. Anyone else show an expiration on Wipeout HD? Maybe it's just a glitch.
I purchased the game long before I got PSN+, so I'm not positive and I can't check my own copy.

It's supposed to be one of the 'rental' games, this month's 'rental PSN title'.

There's a couple of things- maybe they forgot to put an expiration on it (someone else with PSN+ that didn't already own WipEout could check theirs), or, maybe you encountered some sort of loophole by already having the full game downloaded as a demo, and received the unlock without an expiration, because it was the game itself (which you had prior to PSN+) that had the expiration, not the unlock.

Damn this is tempting. I peruse the Playstation Network every day practically, looking for the random PSN or PS1 game that would capture my fancy. Now they're offering Super Stardust half off
, a game I actually don't own yet. :(

And no, the big yellow + has nothing to do with whatever decision I make. :D

Decisions, decisions...

JesseZao

mr_chun said:
or, maybe you encountered some sort of loophole by already having the full game downloaded as a demo, and received the unlock without an expiration, because it was the game itself (which you had prior to PSN+) that had the expiration, not the unlock.

'tis what I'm hoping for :D
but it doesn't really matter since if + keeps it up I don't have any reason to let it expire

mr_chun

JesseZao said:
'tis what I'm hoping for :D
but it doesn't really matter since if + keeps it up I don't have any reason to let it expire
Win-win for you, good sir. :D

I think they'll keep it up to keep us around. ;)

Does anybody know when the cut-off date is for the extra free 3 months on north american subscriptions?

I am *really* not sold on Plus given the content for this month but I'm still interested. if the 3 month promotion is going to go away soon, then I figure even if I don't want much from this month I can still burn 3 months worth of stuff I don't want without any cost if I subscribe now.

What I worry about is if it doesn't take off like they expected if they will introduce a better promo next month. Then again, I don't think Quore ever had any promo after the first month did it and I don't think Quore exactly shot off the sales charts either.

Oni Jazar

Listening to last weeks Weekend Confirmed I had to agree with everyone. The plus system is really poor at the moment. Announced with no fanfare and no concrete details as to what you're getting. It's a discount subscription service where the discounts are offered only when Sony says so. It's not even offering any new premium content so the hardcore PSN users will already own most of the stuff.

Sony should've held off until they had a bunch more services. FORGET hand picking specific free titles. Sony needs to grow a pair and say, if you get PSN+ you can "rent" ALL PS1 & PS Mini titles for free (in addition to all the other discounts). Not just one a month. Think Netflix not cheese of the month club.

krae_man

Oni Jazar said:
Sony should've held off until they had a bunch more services. FORGET hand picking specific free titles. Sony needs to grow a pair and say, if you get PSN+ you can "rent" ALL PS1 & PS Mini titles for free (in addition to all the other discounts). Not just one a month. Think Netflix not cheese of the month club.

That'll come in 2 years.

The first year of Playstation Plus will be full of awesome free games. Then year two will be full of repeats if any games at all.

If people complain about the lack of free games Sony will be all like "We're providing you all kinds of value with Cross Game Chat, Access to Hulu Plus etc".

Then Sony will announce a Netflix like service for all the back catelog PSN games that arn't selling anymore for $10/month or $100/year with a free PSN plus subscription included.

Thus the circle of screwing over existing paying customers will continue.

JesseZao

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Does anybody know when the cut-off date is for the extra free 3 months on north american subscriptions?

I am *really* not sold on Plus given the content for this month but I'm still interested. if the 3 month promotion is going to go away soon, then I figure even if I don't want much from this month I can still burn 3 months worth of stuff I don't want without any cost if I subscribe now.

What I worry about is if it doesn't take off like they expected if they will introduce a better promo next month. Then again, I don't think Quore ever had any promo after the first month did it and I don't think Quore exactly shot off the sales charts either.

Pretty sure it's August 3rd or 4th.

AwRy108

ScrabbleBanshee said:

This.

Weekend Confirmed said it best: "With PlayStation Plus, you're paying for a promise."

Too bad nobody knows what the promise is supposed to be... ...SONY should've held off until they had the service more defined and with more value to offer the true PS3 fans who probably already have LBP or Wipeout HD, along with lots of the other stuff being offered.

Oni Jazar

AwRy108 said:
Weekend Confirmed said it best: "With PlayStation Plus, you're paying for a promise."

Too bad nobody knows what the promise is supposed to be... ...SONY should've held off until they had the service more defined and with more value to offer the true PS3 fans who probably already have LBP or Wipeout HD, along with lots of the other stuff being offered.

Exactly.

Oni Jazar

They should've partnered or bought out GameTap and had a whole library of emulated titles to choose from. I can't believe that none of big three have done this yet. Everything is a la carte. I won't outright buy Missile Command or Pitfall (or Sonic or Crash Bandicoot, or etc) but I'll pay a small monthly fee to play all of them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Oni Jazar said:
They should've partnered or bought out GameTap and had a whole library of emulated titles to choose from. I can't believe that none of big three have done this yet. Everything is a la carte. I won't outright buy Missile Command or Pitfall (or Sonic or Crash Bandicoot, or etc) but I'll pay a small monthly fee to play all of them.

That may happen still.

The way it is now its sort of that way, except the library is not all open on day 1 but it slowly builds weekly/monthly. After 1 year there will be at least 48 playable free games on demand for subscribers.

And there is nothing keeping them from adding more than 4 games per month, particularly small cheap oldies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Def Jukie said:
Ok, I just signed up for this. Why is the Warhawk Fallen Star Pack normal price for me? And where is Wipeout?

Stuff should be in the + section on PSN store, top option. And remember the offers are different in the different regions, US/EU/Asia.

mr_chun

darkwing said:
Fieldrunners is so addicting, i used to think minis are junk :D
I just got around to playing it today. I like it too. :D

Def Jukie said:
Ok, I just signed up for this. Why is the Warhawk Fallen Star Pack normal price for me? And where is Wipeout?
A glitch is causing WipEout to not appear in the store for people who purchased it prior to PSN+'s release. As for Warhawk, when they updated the store on Tuesday, it also disappeared from the PSN+ section... I found it by searching all titles under the letter W. It was listed there twice, one at full price, one free.

Anticitizen One said:
What is the last day of the first month of PS Plus? I want to be able to get Rally Cross and Warhawk DLC for free
Probably Monday August 2nd, the day before the first store update of August.

yencid

Got it today, minis are so much better on full screen TV's instead of PSPs.

i actually enjoy this months PS1 game (even tho its learning curve is huge)

PLEASE STOP THIS FROM DOWNLOADING DEMOS I'VE HAD AND DELETED.

And while you're at it, sort your direct marketing out and stop emailing me promoting games i've already bought.

darkwing said:
Fieldrunners is so addicting, i used to think minis are junk :D
Same. Getting Age of Zombies for free made me feel bad, because that game is fun as hell and I wish I had purchased it upon release. :lol

got some spam today in my PM box:
lycan7777777 said:
IMORTANT PROTEST
playstation has made it official they will be making psn users pay for online play, this will start on 12 - 1 - 10 a message has been sent to playstation , & they said if they see this message sent 500,000 times by 12 - 1 - 10 they will keep psn for free so PLEASE send this to ALL your friends & i mean ALL. No one wants to pay for online play , put subject a IMORTANT PROTEST, please copy this message & send to everyone on your friends list
also, this person isn't on my friends list - would be removed if they were - so how did I get this message?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You're still shown on their list after you've removed them, I believe.

Either that or you were on his players met list.

I hate that spam shit though, I don't know how people could be so stupid to believe any of that.

NinjaFusion said:
PLEASE STOP THIS FROM DOWNLOADING DEMOS I'VE HAD AND DELETED.

And while you're at it, sort your direct marketing out and stop emailing me promoting games i've already bought.

This is something companies need to get a handle on. You have trophies in your account and you've synced them so they have to know you have the game.

Thanks for the link. I was hoping it was false (the whole "Petitions work!" thing was a good indicator) but I've been a little out of the loop so wasn't sure if there was something truly announced or not.

Mrbob

Oni Jazar said:
Listening to last weeks Weekend Confirmed I had to agree with everyone. The plus system is really poor at the moment. Announced with no fanfare and no concrete details as to what you're getting. It's a discount subscription service where the discounts are offered only when Sony says so. It's not even offering any new premium content so the hardcore PSN users will already own most of the stuff.

I wonder how many hardcore PSN users there really are? Could be a lot, but I doubt it.

I already grabbed about 30 dollars worth of content in the first month for free I was eying on PSN which I didn't own. I don't buy a lot of stuff on PSN so the current setup works great for me. I have a feeling there are more people like me on PSN than those who buy a lot of stuff. Of course, I wouldn't mind if Sony kept on expanding the service.

snap0212 said:
The most import thing is that this pretty much confirmes that new games will never be part of PlayStation Plus.

I shouldn't have bought it, dammit!
Not sure why folks assumed it'd be a fountain of free-ish new games. Doesn't make a lot of business sense for themselves and the providers of the content. That being said, I take that blog as them not having a good solid plan for what kind of content they want to put on the service at all. It can't be a good thing when you just launch a service and are now beating the community bushes for ideas on what it should do.

Mako_Drug

Winterblink said:
Not sure why folks assumed it'd be a fountain of free-ish new games. Doesn't make a lot of business sense for themselves and the providers of the content. That being said, I take that blog as them not having a good solid plan for what kind of content they want to put on the service at all. It can't be a good thing when you just launch a service and are now beating the community bushes for ideas on what it should do.

Yeah, that...or they are getting opinions from consumers so they can provide content that won't lead to endless bitching.

snap0212

Winterblink said:
Not sure why folks assumed it'd be a fountain of free-ish new games.
Never assumed that. Didn't mention it either. The thing is that this Serive/Product is aimed at "hardcore PSN Users" and promoted like it is something they'd need or use. The content Sony offers is not for them, because it's those hardcore PSN Users who have probably already bought WipEout HD or stuff like that. ;-)

snap0212

krae_man said:
You guys are crazy if you think the average user has bought at least 30-40 PSN games.

We're not normal:lol
That's not what I was trying to say. :( I wanted to say that Sony says that this is for the hardcore audience, but pretty much everything they offer has already been bought by these hardcore people. :)

tirminyl

snap0212 said:
That's not what I was trying to say. :( I wanted to say that Sony says that this is for the hardcore audience, but pretty much everything they offer has already been bought by these hardcore people. :)

When did Sony say this is for the hardcore audience?

yeah, my understanding of + is that is was designed from the ground up as a way to get more money from people who DON'T use the psn store or buy anything.

JesseZao

BobTheFork said:
yeah, my understanding of + is that is was designed from the ground up as a way to get more money from people who DON'T use the psn store or buy anything.

Ding, Ding, Ding!
I was one of those people

If you're a "hardcore" PSN user, you're already dropping plenty of cash their way.

see5harp

BobTheFork said:

Hell no. The people who bought PSN+ on my list are the most loyal Sony customers.

Irish

I subscribed to PSN+ because of the great deals on PSN games that I never would have bought otherwise. Now, I think it was a great investment because I never touched the stuff on the PSN store outside of a few demos and DLC, but now I'm buying PSN games left and right. It's crazy.

darkwing

Irish said:
I subscribed to PSN+ because of the great deals on PSN games that I never would have bought otherwise. Now, I think it was a great investment because I never touched the stuff on the PSN store outside of a few demos and DLC, but now I'm buying PSN games left and right. It's crazy.

yup, hard to resist those discounts

Mrbob

BobTheFork said:

This is why + works so great for me. For one small fee I now get a large sample of games to try out monthly. I've been playing a lot of Age of Zombies and Fieldrunners the past couple days and I wouldn't have played either game if it had not been for +. It has actually opened up my eyes towards the Mini games.

Now I would love it if Sony started offering + discounts for new games. For example if DeathSpank was available for $9.99 for + users today I would probably pick it up. Put up Joe Danger for 50 percent and I'll buy it!

Rally Cross was a terrible choice for a PS1 game though, it is garbage. :lol Looking forward to getting MidiEvil next month, and especially Zen Pinball. Been eying that game for a long time.

I'm just not feeling compelled to get PSN+ yet. I think it has potential and I'm not averse to getting it but they definitely need to come up with something intriguing that makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I'm not sure what that is but I'll know it when I see it and I haven't seen it so far.

Top Bottom