• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

SpecX

I'm in the same boat. I thought I would jump on this day 1, but after seeing what's been offered, I'm disappointed and holding off to see if it gets better.

expy

Banned
SpecX said:
I'm in the same boat. I thought I would jump on this day 1, but after seeing what's been offered, I'm disappointed and holding off to see if it gets better.
Subscribing early nets you 3 free months, so, essentially, the first 3 months of "non-interesting stuff" is gifted.

Xater

expy said:
Subscribing early nets you 3 free months, so, essentially, the first 3 months of "non-interesting stuff" is gifted.

But what if it doesn't even get better after the 3 months?

Anyway I like the plus signs on my friendlist. Now I know who to mock.

Toki767

I'm still planning on subscribing just before the offer for the extra 3 months ends since none of the first month stuff appeals to me or I already have what's being offered.

netguy503

Toki767 said:
I'm still planning on subscribing just before the offer for the extra 3 months ends since none of the first month stuff appeals to me or I already have what's being offered.

I don't think you get to pick and choose when you start your 3 free months, I think SONY decides that. I think SONY just said you get 3 free months staring when the service started. If we got to choose when we started the months I think SONY would lose some money for some months and a company like SONY can't have that. I also think it would screw up any re-subscription deals that are likely coming if everyone didn't end their "year" at the same time.

In closing, I don't get people who so obviously want to subscribe and wait for something better when subscribers aren't really paying for these months right now anyway.

Toki767

netguy503 said:
I don't think you get to pick and choose when you start your 3 free months, I think SONY decides that. I think SONY just said you get 3 free months staring when the service started. If we got to choose when we started the months I think SONY would lose some money for some months and a company like SONY can't have that. I also think it would screw up any re-subscription deals that are likely coming if everyone didn't end their "year" at the same time.

In closing, I don't get people who so obviously want to subscribe and wait for something better when subscribers aren't really paying for these months right now anyway.
Well since it's a subscription service I'd imagine the subscription starts whenever you start paying. Which is why instead of subscribing at the end of June knowing what was going to be available in July, I'd subscribe at the end of July to get that extra 3 months later since the bonus offer I believe is available until the next month offerings are up.

netguy503

Toki767 said:
Well since it's a subscription service I'd imagine the subscription starts whenever you start paying. Which is why instead of subscribing at the end of June knowing what was going to be available in July, I'd subscribe at the end of July to get that extra 3 months later since the bonus offer I believe is available until the next month offerings are up.

Smart move as you will be getting into your first BETA for free (LBP2) in August/September. Well, we will too but maybe you'll have a free extra month then us now. :D

Mrbob

I believe moving the Qore sub into PS+ was a good move and what ultimately helped me subscribe. Watched the July issue and I have to admit I enjoy watching HD footage than reading about a game in a magazine. Killzone 3 looked pretty hot, and I never even heard about the Game Republic title till I saw it.

I do think Sony needs more bonuses for those who have bought a lot of PSN content. Plus is great for the casual PSN shopper like me. But for the hardcore there isn't much appeal for the service. I also believe Sony should have replacements available for those with plus which own the free content which is being offered for the month.

Toki767 said:

You get the extra 3 months added on the date you subscribe. I believe the bonus is done at the end of July though.

see5harp said:
Hell no. The people who bought PSN+ on my list are the most loyal Sony customers.
Maybe, but from my perspective P.L.U.S. right now only offers things the loyal customers already have. I seriously have every single game they are offering free at a discount or ever a free trail of and I know lots of other people are right there to.

I also don't buy this paying for a promise crap. You are paying for a club membership discount. I don't think there is supposed to be this magic 'it gets better later' mentality. If you didn't have the game they are offering and you paid 50 bux for a year of + you get almost all of it back instantly in savings. PLUS is exactly what it's ever going to be, a good idea if you buy game occasionally.

see5harp

BobTheFork said:
Maybe, but from my perspective P.L.U.S. right now only offers things the loyal customers already have. I seriously have every single game they are offering free at a discount or ever a free trail of and I know lots of other people are right there to.

I also don't buy this paying for a promise crap. You are paying for a club membership discount. I don't think there is supposed to be this magic 'it gets better later' mentality. If you didn't have the game they are offering and you paid 50 bux for a year of + you get almost all of it back instantly in savings. PLUS is exactly what it's ever going to be, a good idea if you buy game occasionally.

Well I certainly agree with you there. Until they make the service more feature based, it won't really benefit the hardcore. My post was more of an observance and not necessarily a value judgment. I have everything I want out of the first month offerings, so I will not be partaking.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Should we start an official thread for PSN+? Its here after all and quite a number of people are getting it.

With an OP with pricing info and a mini FAQ on games/demos/trials/discounts? And a tally of what is free each month and a running tally of all the free stuff accumulated?

It may be informational and helpful to those who don't want to sift through this entire thread.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
AndyD said:
Should we start an official thread for PSN+? Its here after all and quite a number of people are getting it.

With an OP with pricing info and a mini FAQ on games/demos/trials/discounts? And a tally of what is free each month and a running tally of all the free stuff accumulated?

It may be informational and helpful to those who don't want to sift through this entire thread.
Ummm, yeah, you should go ahead and do that.

Afrikan

I really want to subscribe and get the golden plus sign....but man I already have Qore...WTF to do...

wait till my Qore finishes....?

wait till the end of July?

I've subscribed to Qore since the very beginning.......are there any updates if we get any type of pat on the back....

yencid said:
I agree that we Should have an official thread, it just seems like the same bitching over and over in here.
Suddenly OT's are bitch proof?
I saw one more plus on my list today; that brings the total to 20% pluses and 80% normals.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
netguy503 said:
You think it wont? Sony will be majorly shooting themselves in the foot if this doesn't happen.

I'm trying to be negative about it to avoid disappointment but I do I hope it will. I need to be on board for the LBP2 beta, the first is one of my most played games ever.

netguy503

Snuggler said:
I'm trying to be negative about it to avoid disappointment but I do I hope it will. I need to be on board for the LBP2 beta, the first is one of my most played games ever.

Then why don't you join me and Ranger X tomorrow night for the Marvel level kit 2x and 4x challenges. :)

But seriously, about the BETAS, I'm kinda shocked Plus members didn't automatically get into the Medal of Honor Beta on the first day of the service.

why can't sony come to agreement with Hulu to offer Hulu Plus to subscribers? What exactly will sony be using the money they got from people buying the + next to their PSN ID.

netguy503

DMPrince said:
why can't sony come to agreement with Hulu to offer Hulu Plus to subscribers? What exactly will sony be using the money they got from people buying the + next to their PSN ID.

Same reasons they can't work with developers with all the money we are giving them to give us discounts on brand new PSN games weekly= greed.

netguy503 said:
Same reasons they can't work with developers with all the money we are giving them to give us discounts on brand new PSN games weekly= greed.
they really want to turn a profit so bad :\

can't blame them anyways.
Grace Chen

AndyD

aka andydumi
DMPrince said:

Basic math? Hulu + is 120 per year, PSN + is 50 per year. That's a huge discrepancy...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just stumbled upon this (or this, for Europeans).

It's about the early release of the Kane and Lynch 2 demo for PlayStation Plus members next Monday.

Good news right? Well, no, because it's a PUSH DEMO and the only way you can download it is by turning on what you probably turned off a second later having installed FW 3.40: the auto-download functionality.

It wont show up on the Premium section of the store!

This is so stupid and unnecessary complicated for the end user they even had to put together a FAQ. A FAQ for explaining how to download a fucking demo? Seriously?

Anyway, the FAQ reads like this:

Here are some things to know:

* You must be an active PlayStation Plus subscriber to enjoy the convenience of automatic downloads (which also delivers firmware updates and game patches).
* If you turn on the Automatic Download feature before Monday, July 19, expect to have the Kane & Lynch demo pushed to your system July 20th or 21st. during the timeframe you designate in your settings.
* If you turn on the feature between July 20 – 27, you can expect to have the demo pushed to your system within 24 hours, during the timeframe you designate in your setting.
* You’ll get the demo more quickly if your PS3 is not turned on during the timeframe you designate to check for updates, because the auto download feature of PlayStation Plus looks for content while your PS3 system is turned off.
* The demo will also be published to the PlayStation Plus section of PlayStation Store during our weekly store publish on Tuesday 7/20. Again, this will be available only for PlayStation Plus members. (<-- this doesn't apply to European members, TTP)

* Here’s how it works. The Automatic Download feature:
o turns on your PS3 system every 48 hours (during the timeframe you designate)
o checks for content
o downloads anything available to your PS3
o shuts off your PS3 system
* If
your system is on during the timeframe you designate to check for updates, your PS3 will check for updates after it is turned off, during its next designated timeframe. This will likely be 24 – 48 hours later.
* If you already have the demo on your system, PlayStation Plus will not push the demo to your system. (This is true even if you get the demo and then delete it.)

if if if... wtf just put it on the Premium section of the Store!

:lol

The funny thing is I'm sure most PS+ members will end up downloading the demo when it gets available for everybody on the 27th.

Goddammit Sony.

Edit - SCEA will release the demo on the Plus section of the store the day after. Not SCEE tho.

Edit2 - another hilarious observation:

They say

If you turn on the Automatic Download feature before Monday, July 19, expect to have the Kane & Lynch demo pushed to your system July 20th or 21st.

And they also say

The demo will also be published to the PlayStation Plus section of PlayStation Store during our weekly store publish on Tuesday 7/20.

So, in a nutshell, if you turn on the Automatic Download feature before Monday, July 19, the PS3 might auto-download the demo 1 day after it's made available on the Plus section :lol

They should call it "Perhaps Later Download"

Edit3 - One last funny thing.
Demo will be made available for anyone on the SCEE store on the 21st (2 days later)
Demo will be made available for anyone on the SCEA store on the 27th (7 days later).

Sony
Make.Confusion

Chris R

Well I signed up for the 15 month deal. Didn't own Wipeout so that is 1/5 of the price paid back right there. I just need 3-4 more good PSN games to be released for free for Plus users over the next 14 months to break even. Kinda a gamble, but whatever, I'm putting my faith in Sony that they won't fuck this up. If they do oh well, I'll enjoy my 15 months with whatever content is put out and not renew.

tirminyl

Maybe I am missing something but I don't see what the problem is except the difference in EU and US availability dates.

Download the demo from the plus section on the 20th or just wait for it to push to you on your scheduled run after it is available.

Mrbob

What a strange way to hand out a demo Sony. What if I don't want the demo now I have to turn automatic download off? :lol

I like plus but this Kane and Lynch shit is utter fail. I always turn my PS3 completely off so I never really cared about auto-download anyway, but it seems I HAVE to care now :lol
:-(

RavenFox

Banned
StevePharma said:
I like plus but this Kane and Lynch shit is utter fail. I always turn my PS3 completely off so I never really cared about auto-download anyway, but it seems I HAVE to care now :lol
:-(
If it's completely off that means you shut off the main power in the back to the PSU. So what do you have to worry about if your off the grid?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
tirminyl said:
Maybe I am missing something but I don't see what the problem is except the difference in EU and US availability dates.

Download the demo from the plus section on the 20th or just wait for it to push to you on your scheduled run after it is available.

Not in EU.

netguy503 said:
You think it wont? Sony will be majorly shooting themselves in the foot if this doesn't happen.
Same with Killzone 3.
netguy503 said:
But seriously, about the BETAS, I'm kinda shocked Plus members didn't automatically get into the Medal of Honor Beta on the first day of the service.
It'll probably be mostly first party stuff. Honestly, I see them giving away every major first party beta with Plus in the future. They may make a deal with third parties occasionally, but most companies would probably rather work out a deal with retailers for pre-orders.

rhfb said:
Well I signed up for the 15 month deal. Didn't own Wipeout so that is 1/5 of the price paid back right there. I just need 3-4 more good PSN games to be released for free for Plus users over the next 14 months to break even. Kinda a gamble, but whatever, I'm putting my faith in Sony that they won't fuck this up. If they do oh well, I'll enjoy my 15 months with whatever content is put out and not renew.
I thought you only get the free games for a set time period before it's swapped with another free game being a different title? thus you don't keep wipeout HD forever for your money.

DeadGzuz

Banned
DMPrince said:

You fail at economics. Hulu+ = money for Hulu. PSN+ = money for Sony. What interest would Hulu has in giving away a service? What interest would Sony have in killing any margin from Plus and turning it over to Hulu? The best I can see both parties splitting a discount to PSN+ subscribers for Hulu+, I'm sure the numbers don't work well or Hulu has no interest.

TTP said:
Not in EU.

well... actually it's like this:

Demo availability

Monday 19th -> PAL PSN+ only via automatic download
Tuesday 20th -> US PSN+ via automatic download and manual store download
Wednesday 21th -> PAL PSN for everyone
Tuesday 27th -> US PSN for everyone

:lol :lol

edit: ah you already edited your first post.

I think even w/o automatic download and PSN+ it's not that bad to wait 2 respectively 1 day and download the demo from a PAL PSN account ^^

Majine

Banned
I canceled my automatic renewal today. Demos such as Kane and Lynch is nice and all, but for the rest... I prefer to choose my content by myself. Even if I save money in total, some games may be worth zero to me.

Feature driven services > Content driven services.

krae_man

I don't think you guys understand the concept of a push demo(well actually Sony doesn't either).

The part that Sony got wrong was making it a premium feature. It should be available to everyone and turning it on/off should be part of the initial set up when you turn your PS3 on for the first time. It would also work best for downloadable games that you could purchase the unlock key for from within the push demo.

The part you guys got wrong is expecting things earlier with push demos. If you guys want something the second it goes live, download it manually the second it goes live. The point of push demos is to get people to try things they wouldn't have tried otherwise because it takes less effort to try a demo already installed on your system then it does to go to the Playstation store, click on a Demo, download it and install it first.

JesseZao

Diablohead said:
I thought you only get the free games for a set time period before it's swapped with another free game being a different title? thus you don't keep wipeout HD forever for your money.
Nope. Your content keeps snowballing until your account expires. Only then does the content melt away.

CozMick

Banned
Now listen, I got my Plus icon........

Fuck demos, fuck dlc and fuck Minis
except Age of Zombies
:lol

That's all that matters!

Top Bottom