• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I was actually a bit interested in PSN plus hoping that a $50 membership or $9.99 a month might give me access to stream whatever movies and videos they have in PSN, no such luck. I have NEtflix, but their download selection sucks donkey balls.

Pkm said:

Here I`ve translated the german part of your quote

If you subscribe to PSN+ today, you get the optimum out of your PS3 System. There are dozens of premium and exclusiv features like games and content in a total value of 200 € a year and PSN functions specifically for members.

Games: Get dozens of PSN Games, minis and PS 1 classics aswell as premium avatars and dynamic designs in total value of at least 200€ a year. In the PSN Store You will also have very low costs and you get the chance to play demos and betas early. The Content on PSN gets updated every month so that there is always something new.

:)

Toki767

You know the silliest thing about this is that there will probably be a FW update in a couple weeks to activate this stuff which means it'll be a pretty useless update for people who don't plan on subscribing.

That said, I'll still probably give it a shot for a year. Qore was good the first year. Hopefully this will be too.

Mrbob

Oh so you have to subscribe for a year. Sony needs to stop being so vague on features.

If they did include Qore into the yearly subscription I would probably bite on this. I still might, depending on how it turns out. Typical Sony to announce it and not give all the details. :lol

Still not sure why people are comparing this to Xbox Live. The only similarity I see is they both cost 50 dollars a year.

Mrbob said:
The only similarity I see is they both cost 50 dollars a year.

That`s absolutely not true! Just because the sony guy said it doesn`t mean it`s true. He just said it to cover the high price for PSN+ !

You can get 12 months on xbox for 30 $ and sometimes even for 20$ ! so no it`s not the same price.!

:)

j-wood

When you get the free games and whatnot, do you have access to those as long as you keep paying? Or when they change the new games each month, do you lose access to the old games?

Toki767

I'm pretty sure Jack said that Qore would be included in the subscription.

Also you have access to any games you buy with the PS Store discounts that this subscription gives you even if you don't renew. It's just the free stuff that go away if you end your subscription.

Sounds like Costco. :lol

fixuis

Family Fry said:
"If you subscribe for a year's membership before 3 August 2010, you not only get all of the features above, you'll also be able to claim a free copy of the award winning PlayStation 3 platform title LittleBigPlanet."
UK/EU store only?
http://uk.playstation.com/psn/news/...n-Network-goes-premium-with-PlayStation-Plus/

yeah, is this for the u.s store as well? does this mean that the psn+ service will mean that we can have digital copies of all our ps3 games..even full sized bluray ones? lbp is a full bluray disc title, sony must have digital copies of other games too..this could be huge for people like me who hate changing discs. :O

Toki767

fixuis said:
yeah, is this for the u.s store as well? does this mean that the psn+ service will mean that we can have digital copies of all our ps3 games..even full sized bluray ones? lbp is a full bluray disc title, sony must have digital copies of other games too..this could be huge for people like me who hate changing discs. :O
The blog links to the PSP version of LBP, not the PS3 one. That might be a mixup.

3 months is only there *if* you pre-pay for the first year:

ps_promobox1.jpg

Minamu

Automated downloads... smh. I don't need to pay money for that wtf. That just reminds me of Walmart offering ps3 installations for 200 dollars or whatever.

fixuis

Toki767 said:
The blog links to the PSP version of LBP, not the PS3 one. That might be a mixup.

where does it link? i cant find it. Also, it says, "we'll throw in a free copy of the award winning playstation 3 title littlebigplanet" ?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm not really that hyped about this but I probably will buy a year of it sometime soon. $50 dollars for 12 months of it should be a worthwhile investment.
The added features are nice, there are a few basic things that it seems to be missing (I'd love faster patches and custom soundtracks for every game) and I don't like the idea of not really owning the free content it gives out but overall it should be worth it.

...cept I have a feeling they'll keep giving out PSN games and content I already own, like Wipeout HD. It would be nice if they will give out new games that are just launching so that those of us who already have a lot of PSN's library won't lose out.

Oni Jazar

Dear God I hope the reason why they took out the cross voice chat line was to make it free for everyone.

I can't stress enough how STUPID it would be for Sony to lock away such a feature.

iceatcs said:
I think he mean 3 month package, not free one.

Goddamnit no! He said they were offering 3 month subs and 1 year subs and quotes both of those prices, and he said everyone can try it out 3 months free. You realise you can go back and watch it conference right?

iceatcs

Terrordactyl said:
Goddamnit no! He said they were offering 3 month subs and 1 year subs and quotes both of those prices, and he said everyone can try it out 3 months free. You realise you can go back and watch it conference right?
Eh? He may want to have a go with 3 month package cost $17.99 to see what it like.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I'm glad this is just an option because I wasn't impressed with what the description of it was. The repeating comment of the games being active as long as you're still a subscriber blew my mind, but if people know what they're getting into beforehand, they will only have themselves to blame.

I think this will be a niche albeit profitable segment for Sony.

Treo360

while I would love x game chat for free, I'll take free online anyway until this gen is over. It's next gen that we should start fearing as far as free online goes I'm afraid.

Terrordactyl said:

That pic I posted is from Sony's own website. Got a link to the three free months without paying link? Saying something on stage and actually having it in writing are two different things.

http://webassets.scea.com/e3communityassets/ps_promobox1.jpg

Chris_C

Zombie James said:
Which is what a lot of people want: online gaming and basic features free for everyone, extras for those who want it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they were absolute must-have features, folks would be complaining that they have to pay for them.

Beardz

And you know what? I'm sure sony is going add a BIG PLUS symbol on your PSN name; so you can show off your PLUS status to the other cheap mortals.

Loudninja

So far:
-You rent 12 PSN games,24 minis , and 12 PS1 classics, for a year subscription.
-Premium avatars and dynamic themes each month * You keep these*
-Access to selected demos and beta trails
-Full Game Trials
-Automatic Downloads
-Qore subscription
-Discounts on PS store content*you keep whatever you buy of course*

Could be better but not a bad start.

wallbc01

Neo Member
i've never seen so many people complain about an optional service. they complain that cross game chat is not included but would be ready to riot if it was included. maybe they will add it for free later this year?? i have no problem with them wanting to make some money on a premium service as long as it didn't take away anything and the only thing it potentially does is delay demos a week or two so who gives a shit? if you like what it offers subscribe, if not then continue to play online for free

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Loudninja said:
So far:
-You rent 12 PSN games,24 minis , and 12 PS1 classics, for a year subscription.
-Premium avatars and dynamic themes each month * You keep these*
-Access to selected demos and beta trails
-Full Game Trials
-Automatic Downloads
-Qore subscription
-Discounts on PS store content*you keep whatever you buy of course*

Could be better but not a bad start.

I swear, I would pay 50 dollars for cloud side saving, because that is probably the only way I can extract my old game saves from my nearly dead 20gb Ps3. This is what I get for not doing consistent backups (or any backups). WHY WON'T YOU READ USB STICKS OLD BUSTED ASS PS3?! WHY?!

-viper-

Banned
The new content and features sound really good and I must admit they help 'justify' the price (receiving free content of such high value).

But, I won't pay for it. I'm happy with what I got. Plenty of games are coming out and online is free. Don't need anything else.

Carl

Was hoping for cloud storage from the off.

Hopefully they will add it in at some point in the not too distant future

krae_man

user friendly said:
Basically Qore^2?

Pretty much.

The second year of Qore was destroyed for this. I hope Sony offers Qore subscribers a discount as a make up for that.

Edit: So, does this whole "First hour free" thing mean a crap load of Retail PS3 games are coming to PSN?

Don't know if I want to download 9gb just for a first hour demo. That would take forever not to mention rape my 60gb bandwidth cap.

Cruzader

Banned
krae_man said:
Pretty much.

The second year of Qore was destroyed for this. I hope Sony offers Qore subscribers a discount as a make up for that.

Edit: So, does this whole "First hour free" thing mean a crap load of Retail PS3 games are coming to PSN?

Don't know if I want to download 9gb just for a first hour demo. That would take forever not to mention rape my 60gb bandwidth cap.
AH! makes sense why content got cut from Qore's 2nd year. Anyhow if PSN+ starts at the end of this month, on July it will be my last episode. I hope they offer a discount to PSN+ for us Qore members.

You guys think Qore will go on? Or just get mixed with PSN+ and pay a single price for both? I'd rather just get PSN+ then Qore by itself tbh.

j-wood

Have they said if you get to keep access the free games after the month for that game is over?

So, after 2 years, you have 24 free games (as long as you keep your subscription of course)?

Quasar

truly101 said:
I was actually a bit interested in PSN plus hoping that a $50 membership or $9.99 a month might give me access to stream whatever movies and videos they have in PSN, no such luck. I have NEtflix, but their download selection sucks donkey balls.

I was hoping for that too given there no netflix like streaming service in Australia. The music thing is interesting though, especially zunepass unavailable here.

j-wood said:
Have they said if you get to keep access the free games after the month for that game is over?

So, after 2 years, you have 24 free games (as long as you keep your subscription of course)?

The way he said it in the conference made it seem like all those go buy buy if you lose a subscription which brings up another question if it is that way. What about if I am a member for a year and I let it lapse for a few days then renew it?

I am sorry but this creates confusion, and its just a bad, bad idea all together. It just seems like a rushed, bundle what we can together and slap a price on it. It reminds me of a "mill river" pricing plan you find at some semi and completely private country clubs.

Tell you what I would do Sony. Slap a year subscription to PSN+ with one of those nice Blue Tooth Wireless headsets and MAG or LBP for $50 and you might have a taker here. For a year at least.

Yeef

There's always been an "expiration date" on games and videos under information. I'm guessing when your first download it it sets the expiration date to match when your subscription expires. So when your subscription lapses the games 'expire' but stay on your hard drive even though you're unable to play them. When you renew the expiration dates of your games update to the new date.

That's all conjecture, but it seems plausible. I've never actually bothered with the video store; what happens to the stuff you rent when it expires? Does it get deleted or just become inaccessible?

Yeef said:
There's always been an "expiration date" on games and videos under information. I'm guessing when your first download it it sets the expiration date to match when your subscription expires. So when your subscription lapses the games 'expire' but stay on your hard drive even though you're unable to play them. When you renew the expiration dates of your games update to the new date.

That's all conjecture, but it seems plausible. I've never actually bothered with the video store; what happens to the stuff you rent when it expires? Does it get deleted or just become inaccessible?
That seems like the most reasonable and customer friendly way to approach the problem.

But are we sure the free content stuff is additive? Or do they just cycle monthly what your free content entails? I have kind of a hard time believing that every month you get an additional PSN game for free, but hey, who knows?

NullPointer said:
That seems like the most reasonable and customer friendly way to approach the problem.

But are we sure the free content stuff is additive? Or do they just cycle monthly what your free content entails? I have kind of a hard time believing that every month you get an additional PSN game for free, but hey, who knows?

Yeah it seems like they half-assed the PR for this. I'd like to see the EULA if anyone can find it, please link.

Top Bottom