• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Video Pass is real

Would you like this service?

• Total voters

carlosrox

Banned
Eh.

Kinda a cool idea? If they own the stuff then why not? Sure, makes sense.

Not sure what they're allowed to have on their platform though thanks to rights hell.

Doesn't Sony originally own stuff like Seinfeld and Breaking Bad? But currently both or on other services?

Mr.NiceGuy

The reactions for this from some of the people here and the loony XBots on twitter are sure something.

Reminder of the reactions to the news that PS4Pro won't include the ability to play 4k "Movies".

Yep. more than 100 pages of meltdowns and outrage for a missing feature that has nothing to do with gaming.

Compare this to a rumor that PS+ would have an added benefit of movies sub at no extra charge and that will not take focus from games and suddenly some say it's a shade of "TV TV TV" from XBox One era.

We see what you are trying to do, you are not fooling anyone.

Last edited:

wipeout364

They just made a big deal with Disney so they should try to get that content on the video service . Make the service only available on the PlayStation consoles so Disney doesn’t care.
If Sony was smart they would combine this with PlayStation plus and PSnow into a single sub say 15 dollars a month(US dollars).

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I don't watch anime but it would be alright if they gave us some of their original content.

I had no idea they have all this content to use. They are a major player in TV.

TV

Movies

Off topic but mobile

Sony has some of the best watched tv shows. A lot of people don’t know they make movies and tv shows for Netflix, Prime, Apple Tv+, Starz and Disney+. Even Love, Dead & Robots was created by Sony Imageworks.

Gamerguy84

Sony has some of the best watched tv shows. A lot of people don’t know they make movies and tv shows for Netflix, Prime, Apple Tv+, Starz and Disney+. Even Love, Dead & Robots was created by Sony Imageworks.

I Google and found those links, I went threw a few pages and was surprised at how much they are associated with and how much content they make for others.

I watch some of these daily and never k ew.

MOTM

Banned
It's an added benefit with no extra cost attached to your PS+ Subscription. They said it's a separate app for PS4/PS5 with content rotating being added every 3 months. They're using Poland as a test pool to see if it's viable to send out to everybody else.
Here's the IGN article with the list

Movies:
  • Bloodshot
  • Jumanji: The Next Level
  • Zombieland 2: Double Tap
  • Charlie's Angels (2019)
  • Venom (2018)
  • The Equalizer 2
  • Baby Driver
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Underworld: Blood Wars
  • Arrival
  • Sausage Party
  • Inferno (2016)
  • American Hustle
  • This is the End
  • Bad Boys (1995)
TV Shows:
  • Future Man (seasons 1-3)
  • SuperMansion (seasons 1-3)
  • Community (seasons 1-6)
  • Deadly Class (seasons 1)
  • SWAT (seasons 1-2)
  • Lost Girl (seasons 1-5)
That’s it? That isn’t a lot tbh.

MOTM

Banned
Wtf is this?

i have never, ever, watched a movie on a playstation console

not about to start now - oh and i ALREADY have several movie streaming apps that work on every device i own

this is sony 2006 level bad
Same here. I have Netflix & Prime already and use both very lightly. Have no interest in yet another service and on my console 🤦‍♂️

Bartski

Gold Member
Where some people seem confused is thinking this is some kind of an OS or PS+ integrated feature, turning your PlayStation into GAMES AND TV TV TV box.

It doesn't feel that way at all. While you can access it from the PS+ menu, it's not in your face. It's an App, another one in your Media apps menu, and that's it.

Just like the Netflix App everyone got pre-installed on PS5, I don't recall anyone complaining about that. Unlike Netflix here you don't have to pay extra if you're on PS+. I don't have a problem with that.

As a free add on its basically in the "meh" category but I voted YES bc as long as it doesn't cost more then why not?

As a competitor to Game Pass its laughable and isn't going to bring in any new PS+ subs. Even people like me who like to collect physical 4k UHD movies aren't going to care about this. It's an added perk tho so I guess ok.

TimFL

Free would be good. Or, included with PS+.

As for the OP's poll (giggity) I answered yes. I am interested depending on what they offer and if it is included as part of PS Plus.
No includes with PS+ for free is bad. Nothing is free, this has an internal pricetag with a PS+ budget allocation tied to it. Budget that could‘ve gone towards a potentially extra game each month or another gaming related bonus.

But we get movies instead. No idea how anyone can be hyped for this delusional act of kindness.

No includes with PS+ for free is bad. Nothing is free, this has an internal pricetag with a PS+ budget allocation tied to it. Budget that could‘ve gone towards a potentially extra game each month or another gaming related bonus.

This has no price tag. These movies and shows are owned by Sony Pictures. It costs nothing for Sony to add these as an added value to PS+.

This will only cost them if these movies and tv shows are exclusive to PS+. But no, they have already ran their course in theaters. Many streaming services have already paid for its production. Sony have already profited from these contents.

This is an added benefit that costs Sony $0.

But we get movies instead. No idea how anyone can be hyped for this delusional act of kindness.

What would this realistically be worth as an add on? I can't see much.

Sony just signed an 18 month exclusivity deal with Netflix putting their movies there first (instead of Starz). Anyone who is interested in Sony movies will sub to Netflix if they aren't already.

This feels like a very limited free perk, not something most people would pay for or convert over to PS+ for.

hussar16

All in all it's a good incentive for Sony to sell ps plus
Ik in for it since we've already ben paying money for online now for years.just more and more incentives now to have plus.i guess sony doesnt see much value in having their movies on other platforms and would rather use it to drive more ps plus sales .good move.althligh annoying for any other movie watcher since more and more stupid services are split now

hussar16

These movies and shows won't cost Sony to put on PS+. They already ran their course in theaters. So long as the movie or tv show does not have exclusivity deal with other streaming apps, Sony can put as much movies and tv shows as their Sony Pictures produce.

A service with these combination of movies, tv shows, anime, and games should be Sony's strategy for the casuals. No need for playstation. Watch anywhere, play anywhere.

A more refined and bigger PS+ should be Sony's more gamer-focused service building on top of the 45 million subscribers it already has.

1. Subscription service for the casuals.
  • Streaming. Hardware-agnostic.
  • Few exclusive shows
  • Movies, tv shows, anime - THE FOCUS
  • Video games - ADDED VALUE
2. Subscription service for the gamers.
  • Build it on top of PS+ (45M subs)
  • Merging PSNow and PS+ Collection could be a good start.
  • Video games - THE FOCUS
  • Movies, tv shows, anime - ADDED VALUE
Rationale: Gamers don't care about streaming. Casuals don't care about hardware.
Yes ps plus should be the main component and include ps now ps video and all tht .then they will see massive gain.

All in all it's a good incentive for Sony to sell ps plus
Ik in for it since we've already ben paying money for online now for years.just more and more incentives now to have plus.i guess sony doesnt see much value in having their movies on other platforms and would rather use it to drive more ps plus sales .good move.althligh annoying for any other movie watcher since more and more stupid services are split now

Sony just signed an exclusive deal with Netflix to put Sony movies there first, so apparently they do see a value in having their movies on the largest streaming service with 200+ million subs.

What isn't clear is how Video Pass will add much value to GAMERS. It isn't going to sell many more PS+ subs.

Last edited:

yurinka

Well, I think it's ok if they don't rise the PS+ price for this. Just some movies and tv shows as an extra bonus for Plus that Sony already owns and monetizes somewhere else, so won't be an important cost for them.

Ellery

Hmm well I am not super interested in this, but if it is included in PS+ then it is a nice addition and might have some movies that I can't see anywhere else.

The only problem I have is that my Playstation 5 has absolutely awful coil whine in menus/home screen and that probably makes movies hard to watch.

Funimation and Crunchyroll would be amazing. The PS community can experience anime greats such as

My Girlfriend is Shob*tch

Or

I Want You To Make a Disgusted Face and Show Me Your Underwear

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yeah, this doesn't really do a whole lot for me personally, but I'm happy for those that can and would take advantage. I mean a "free" additional perk to the service doesn't hurt anybody.

I just don't really care for another streaming platform, I mean, between Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBO Max, I'm good.

Interfectum

Eh, I already have enough streaming services to fill my quota of TV and movies. I barely watch anything as it is. I'd rather them focus most attention on gaming but I realize Sony as a whole is most likely looking to use Playstation to expand all of their entertainment services. Good for them, meh for me.

Top Bottom