• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon from the 3DS VC versions of R/B/Y CAN be transferred to Pokémon Bank!

FSLink

Banned
I doubt Pokemon Bank will let us bring in Lv 255 Fossil Missingnos and shit.

I mean it already has a legality checker built in, they could just update it to include RGBY movesets, and come up with some formula to convert old stats to new. Though it likely will let in a lot of odd movesets since the checker wasn't very good lol

Revven

I have a feeling Missingno will just turn into a Bad Egg, to be honest. That's what has become the new "bad/corrupt data" thing. And it's not harmful to the game in any way that way either. Or they can just not allow it to transfer lol.

However, as long as Missingno glitch is in the games even if they fixed the Fly trainer glitch (which I doubt if they didn't bother to fix Missingno) you could still farm Gen 1 Pokemon from these VC releases. Infinite Mews, Mewtwos, anything you want.

I'm kind of sad though they seemingly didn't make it possible to get Surfing Pikachu in Yellow without Stadium. If that was a thing seemed like something they'd announce in this Direct. :(

Urthor

So no Pokemon that we couldn't already clone the shit out of and transfer to new versions, because it'll be nostalgia version with the vintage graphics I'd assume.

Pretty sure the sales for this will be mediocre, but who knows, nostalgia might be strong in the force. This should put paid to anyone who says you can release new Pokemon games that aren't remakes, without new Pokemon

brinstar

Making them only transferable to Sun and Moon makes me wonder if there will be some sort of special conversion or something to get rid of illegal move combinations.

Regiruler

This is a disaster in the making.
So no Pokemon that we couldn't already clone the shit out of and transfer to new versions, because it'll be nostalgia version with the vintage graphics I'd assume.

Pretty sure the sales for this will be mediocre, but who knows, nostalgia might be strong in the force. This should put paid to anyone who says you can release new Pokemon games that aren't remakes, without new Pokemon

You wouldn't happen to be urthor from DGz now would you?

It would be an amusing turn of events if so.

I'm curious how they will pull this off considering the data structures changed completely starting with Gen 3.

Also don't kid yourself with uploading absurd hacked Pokemon, how do you think Pokemon Box interacts with other hackable games?

Making them only transferable to Sun and Moon makes me wonder if there will be some sort of special conversion or something to get rid of illegal move combinations.

Maybe it's because S/M will rebalance No Guard to ignore OHKO moves

Also I'm not sure it's outright confirmed they'll only be able to be moved to S/M.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome! Crazy after seeing people argue so strongly it wouldn't happen. It will be interesting to see exactly how it's implemented though. For some reason the idea of cross compatibility just adds so much value to me.

entremet

Completing my living Dex will be so much easier now
It has been much easier in Gen VI due to online trading and Pokebank. But this will it easier, especially for getting the legendary birds, which they made one only for XY weirdly enough.

The thing with the transfer is other than some comedy move sets like Fissue Machamp, the "good" TMs from R/B have already been brought back as either TMs or Move Tutors. Swords Dance, Explosion, Thunder Wave and Substitute.

It's not like Bubblebeam Persian is going to suddenly rocket to top tier.

Camjo-Z

Finally, I can have a truly Smash-faithful Pikachu that knows Quick Attack, Thunder, Skull Bash, and... I guess Thunder Shock will have to do for his neutral B.

FSLink

Banned
He's still right. It wouldn't work as we know it as they would gonna literally have to bullshit the stats of the gen 1 Pokémon in order for them to exist in Gen 6's date structure.

It was always kind of a dumb argument, anybody wanting to use their Pokemon from older games likely wouldn't care too much about stats being not entirely accurate when transferred. Yeah, there will be some people wanting to take advantage of the unique movesets you could make from Gen1, but they could just make them new egg moves or something. Transfer parent from Gen 1 to Gen 7->breed away with a good IV parent in Gen 7.

The thing with the transfer is other than some comedy move sets like Fissue Machamp, the "good" TMs from R/B have already been brought back as either TMs or Move Tutors. Swords Dance, Explosion, Thunder Wave and Substitute.

It's not like Bubblebeam Persian is going to suddenly rocket to top tier.

And yeah, this too. Most of the good TMs were already brought over to newer gens.

Robin64

Really curious about the conversion process. SO many differences it's insane. Will even be the same Pokémon after a transfer? I mean, at that point you might as well have just caught a native G6 one. So curious to see what they do.

Link_enfant

I can say I kinda saw this coming. The long wait for RBY on VC, their insanely high price compared to other GB titles... They just couldn't ask $10 for each game just because they added a wireless function in the emulator. It HAD to hide something else, and here is it.
Of course I thought it would be, somehow, too good to be true, but they did it and I think it's glorious.
I won't hesitate to buy every game on VC (not counting the additional Yellow 2DS, I'm in France yay), and just can't wait for the obvious release of Gold/Silver/Crystal next.

Also can't wait for Moon & Sun trailer of course :)

Are we sure that they transfers only to Pokemon Sun and Moon, or only Pokemon Sun and Moon were mentioned since they are new.

I hope that if/when G/S/C come to VC, it gets Bank support as well.

Confusion Squirtle is to this day, my favorite bit of Egg Move weirdness in the series.

Hey, is there trading between the VC releases? My co-workers and I are suddenly ready to buy them tomorrow.

Through local wireless, yes.

There is certainly going to be a vetting (confirming a pokemon is legit and not generated via glitched means) or conversion (translating the stats to be gen 6/7 compatible) that happens. Missingno are never leaving gen1.

Hey, is there trading between the VC releases? My co-workers and I are suddenly ready to buy them tomorrow.

Yes

Revven

Oh well at least that's there! Not all content is lost then (just... Surf Pikachu lol).

They didn't talk about this but I wonder if you'll be able to use the Bank to transfer between the VC releases on one 3DS? You can do that with the newer games, obviously, but the fact they didn't mention it just made me wonder -- I guess it is default functionality so... it should work, right? Would drive incentive to get all three on one's 3DS to get all 151 on one of the versions.

Yes, there is. Local trading is in. As well as local battling.

FSLink

Banned
No, you needed Stadium to get a Pikachu that could surf.

Well they could always add a way to unlock that minigame through Sun/Moon/future spinoff title since the VC version's digital.

EDIT: Never mind seems like it's unlocked from the start!

I guess they could make a Surf Pikachu event to transfer "back", lol, but not likely.

Probably not.

I'm guessing Sun and Moon has some strange translator that assigns natures and IVs since those values either don't exist in gen 1 or are calculated differently.

I'd actually say it's very likely they will be transferable to any game that supports pokemon bank. Pokemon Bank itself is likely to be doing all of the conversion since it's the intermediary to any other pokemon game coming from the VC titles.

Robin64

Given people have the VC version already, has anyone tried loading Bank to see if it recognises the save? Or will it require a new app, like PokéTransporter, I wonder.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Gotta assume so. Trade to bank and transfer to XYORAS

Eh, not sure on this one. The direct only showed RGBY only transferring to Moon/Sun, not to mention the conversion process probably requiring some element of coding, which XY/ORAS likely don't have.

If M/S is gen 6.5, then it's maybe possible, but somehow I'm doubtful.

Revven

Are we sure that they transfers only to Pokemon Sun and Moon, or only Pokemon Sun and Moon were mentioned since they are new.

They were the only ones mentioned because they're new, they didn't say "only". We will be able to see for sure tomorrow!

IronLich

How many of you are going to try and transfer this monstrosity into the bank?

Missingno.png

If there is a loving Arceus, it will turn into a Rhydon if male, or a Kangaskhan if female.

Dishwalla

Banned
Rösti;196783667 said:
The second video shows 'M (00) and not Missingno though. Similar Pokémon in appearance, but there are many differences between them. Good to know nonetheless.

Both are triggered in the same manner though(the old man, coast of Cinnabar, etc.). The only thing that really affects which one shows up is the characters in your name.

Top Bottom