• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon from the 3DS VC versions of R/B/Y CAN be transferred to Pokémon Bank!

tru6xBt.jpg

Somnid

How it's going to work:

- VC version likely has a couple fixes for the worst bugs (missingno could literally corrupt save files)
- When uploading, pokemon is checked for stat bounds, level, valid moveset (maybe) which Bank does for all versions.
- Gen 1 pokemon will be assigned a valid gender, nature, SP attack, ability etc. rolled upon transfer.

I haven't really followed how these are supposed to work on VC. Do you still need two machines to transfer pokémons, or can you transfer between Red and Blue on the same machine?

Robin64

I see. I mean, I'm thinking about it more as an adventure, rather than catching precisely the right stats version of your Pokemon. I like this because if you go on a nostalgia trip and I play these games, you won't lose your Pokemon when you transfer them to Sun/Moon. It's the feeling that you're bringing your 'companions' with you, even if they're changing a bit on the way. They'll still be the right species, have the right nickname, and have the same moves, right?

I doubt this feature is about competitive viable Pokemon (especially since IV and natures will be randomized to some extent) and more about the nostalgia and novelty of moving your Gen I Pokemon to newer games.

Yeah, you're right.

I was too focused looking at the "how" and didn't really stop to just consider it as a neat feature for people just *playing the games*. I guess people who want to transfer won't even care if stats are messed up when coming out, or that their Pikachu is now randomly a female and has a new tail.

Does Pokemon Bank only work one way for R/B/Y or will I be able to transfer Pokemon between my Red and Yellow versions on the same 3DS?

Revven

How it's going to work:

- VC version likely has a couple fixes for the worst bugs (missingno could literally corrupt save files)

Missingno glitch (the most common one) still works. Since that still works, it's very unlikely they actually fixed anything in these releases -- they have been left untouched.

Robin64

Missingno glitch (the most common one) still works. Since that still works, it's very unlikely they actually fixed anything in these releases -- they have been left untouched.

Well, Yellow now has access to the surfing game normally, and Jynx is no longer black.

But yeah, glitches definitely remain, especially because fixing many of them would require a lot of reworking in places.

Revven

Does Pokemon Bank only work one way for R/B/Y or will I be able to transfer Pokemon between my Red and Yellow versions on the same 3DS?

According to the site linked below, nothing is mentioned about that

Probably posted already, but the Bank site confirms that RBY pokemon can ONLY be transfferred to Sun and Moon, not to XYORAS.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-bank/#pokemon-sun-pokemon-moon

Nothing about transferring back to another Gen 1 game. Sounds very unlikely you'll be able to do it.

Revven

Well, Yellow now has access to the surfing game normally, and Jynx is no longer black.

But yeah, glitches definitely remain, especially because fixing many of them would require a lot of reworking in places.

I meant untouched in terms of glitches, not features or sprite changes lol.

entremet

I will cry tears of joy.

I own Gold and Silver, brought them in about 2007 but the batteries are dead I think so save's do not save properly.

Gen II is particularly tricky with batteries since it has that 24 clock battery. That battery tends to last much shorter than the other games, even Gen I.

SoulUnison

Banned
So any Pokemon transferred to Bank from Red/Blue/Green/Yellow will need to have the stats that didn't exist in Generation 1 amended to it, a random ability and gender assigned, the proto-ev/iv system will have to be completely recalculated...

It's like Ship of Theseus: Pokemon.
You're not really transferring you Pokemon forward as you are trading it in for a similar creature of the same species.

No thanks.
I don't desire to play Gen 1 or 2 again, anyway, just for how dated and archaic they are nowadays, but this only turns me off to the idea even more.

I wonder if they'll cop-out and give 'Mons transferred from VC version above-average stats, like how Legendaries are guaranteed a certain number of perfect IVs.

Will these be transferable starting tonight when they release?

VC releases I mean

Nope. From Pokemon.com:
Once Pokémon Bank has been updated, you'll be able to use it to transfer Pokémon you've caught in the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow into your copy of Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon. Pokémon from Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y can also be brought into Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon in the same way.

You will be able to use your existing Pokémon Bank account to transfer Pokémon from Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow to Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. Due to certain limitations, it is recommended that you install Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow on the same Nintendo 3DS system as Pokémon Bank.

Note that Pokémon cannot be moved directly from Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow to Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank.

So any Pokemon transferred to Bank from Red/Blue/Green/Yellow will need to have the stats that didn't exist in Generation 1 amended to it, a random ability and gender assigned, the proto-ev/iv system will have to be completely recalculated...

You're not really transferring you Pokemon forward as you are trading it in for a similar creature of the same species.

Two of those things were already done in RGBY->GSC calculations.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

They've already done this in the past you know.

They assigned gender to gen 1 pokemon transferred up to gen 2 and cloned their special stat. They've given pokemon who learned a second ability in gen 4 a fifty fifty shot of it if transferred up from gen 3.

Somnid

Interesting, though I wonder if the corruption issues remain. Seems like that would be a certification issue?

V-Faction

NO GUARD FISSURE MACHAMP is quickly becoming synonymous with Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle.

SoulUnison

Banned
That'd be nice. It was a shame to see the Notch-Eared Pichu being left behind in HGSS.

"Oh! This Pichu needs to stay where it is. It appears to have traveled through time. It has been affected by traveling so far through time with Celebi. It'll be risky to transfer it, so it's best for Pichu to stay where it is."

"Oh, screw you, GameFreak."

Top Bottom