• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they haven't. Literally - no-one from the campaign is doing this. Says it several times in the report. It's a typical politico shit piece where they get some unnamed sources and throw names in a hat. At worse it's some high level donors talking about it to each other.

It's fairly shocking how bad politico is these days. 'Hillary forces' apparently includes anyone who has ever voted democrat or given to a democrat politician.
This kind of sounds like dancing around it.

Clinton spokesman Josh Schwerin did not deny the calls were happening. “There's no official outreach from the campaign but I would not be at all surprised if our supporters are doing it on their own.”

She'll be able to do one of those things at most. It should probably be immigration reform.
Probably

Morally and strategically that would make the most sense.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...e_magazine_profile_of_marla_maples_while.html

Donald Trump Was Reading a People Magazine Profile of His Ex-Wife While Eating Infamous Taco Bowl

marlamaplespeople_2.jpg.CROP.article250-medium.jpg
Well that's a lot better than what I thought it was originally.

At this point I would be a little disappointed if Democrats settled for ENDA. The Equality Act is where it's at.

While I agree, after seeing what my bf went through because of bigoted assholes, I'd be running through the streets with EDNA.

So, I want to get ya'lls opinion on this:

We have two Mexican restaurants in town. One is owned by a great family that immigrated from Mexico in the 1990s. The other one is a "fancy" place (owned by a white family and staffed by 100% white people.) So, I wanted to go to the first, while Kyle was being alpha "I can provide, I'm taking you to the expensive one so shut up" male and wanted the second.

So, we go to the nice one....and the entire wait staff is wearing tiny little sombraros and fake Mustaches in honor of Cinco de Mayo. I thought it was INCREDIBLY racist, or at the very least racially insensitive.....am I alone in this? I complained to the manager when we left.....maybe I was out of line, but I feel that's really racially insensitive. Not a single person there was Latino/a.

Or is this okay in Trump's America now?

And they haven't. Literally - no-one from the campaign is doing this. Says it several times in the report. It's a typical politico shit piece where they get some unnamed sources and throw names in a hat. At worse it's some high level donors talking about it to each other.

It's fairly shocking how bad politico is these days. 'Hillary forces' apparently includes anyone who has ever voted democrat or given to a democrat politician.

You know an anti-Hillary story is junk when it hasn't even been posted to reddit

Which this particular one hasn't been

While I agree, after seeing what my bf went through because of bigoted assholes, I'd be running through the streets with EDNA.

We have two Mexican restaurants in town. One is owned by a great family that immigrated from Mexico in the 1990s. The other one is a "fancy" place (owned by a white family and staffed by 100% white people.) So, I wanted to go to the first, while Kyle was being alpha "I can provide, I'm taking you to the expensive one so shut up" male and wanted the second.

So, we go to the nice one....and the entire wait staff is wearing tiny little sombraros and fake Mustaches in honor of Cinco de Mayo. I thought it was INCREDIBLY racist, or at the very least racially insensitive.....am I alone in this? I complained to the manager when we left.....maybe I was out of line, but I feel that's really racially insensitive. Not a single person there was Latino/a.

Yeah, it's definitely racially insensitive, even if it doesn't seem like there's much malice behind it.

The fact that they don't employ any Latino/as seems like the bigger problem, to be honest.

Yeah, it's definitely racially insensitive, even if it doesn't seem like there's much malice behind it.

The fact that they don't employ any Latino/as seems like the bigger problem, to be honest.

I don't think it's on purpose...but I've never, ever seen a PoC working there. They're all white college age kids. I live in a racially diverse area that it shouldn't look that way. I hate, hate eating there and almost never do...but I didn't feel like getting into it with my Bernie Bro.

Glad I didn't overreact. Just was weird.

Well, let that be a lesson to me then. Should know better than to take Politico headlines at face value.

Well there was the poll showing him winning people who want less liberal policies.

That's pretty weird. I notice 'liberal' is a bit of a dirty word in the US for some reason. Both Clinton and Sanders seem to distance themselves from it. I wonder what the results for exit polls would be if they substituted 'liberal' with 'progressive.'

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's pretty weird. I notice 'liberal' is a bit of a dirty word in the US for some reason. Both Clinton and Sanders seem to distance themselves from it. I wonder what the results for exit polls would be if they substituted 'liberal' with 'progressive.'

I don't think it'll be any different. That's likely part of the "not Clinton" block that's supporting Bernie. You saw the same thing last time with the "not Obama" vote.

I also find in general the way people describe themselves doesn't always line up with what their actual positions are.

I don't think it'll be any different. That's likely part of the "not Clinton" block that's supporting Bernie. You saw the same thing last time with the "not Obama" vote.

"Not Clinton" didn't really help O'malley Webb or Chafee, did it? You're not giving Sander's appeal enough credit.

I doubt very many Sanders voters think they're opting for the less progressive candidate.

I've seen the word liberal take a beating in the past from the right and now it's taking one from the left. Now there's neoliberal and blah blah blah

Basically people just use words to mean things they don't like without knowing much about what they mean

Actually the Democratic electorate had been far more liberal in 2016 than in 2008. Nearly 65-70% of voters in most states have claimed to be a liberal.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
"Not Clinton" didn't really help O'malley, did it? You're not giving Sander's appeal enough credit.

I doubt very many Sanders voters think they're opting for the less progressive candidate.

It didn't line up behind O'Malley because he was never even a contender. Is it so hard to admit that not everyone is voting for Bernie because of Bernie? Even on GAF you see Bernie supporters who seem to hate Clinton more than they like Bernie.

Actually the Democratic electorate had been far more liberal in 2016 than in 2008. Nearly 65-70% of voters in most states have claimed to be a liberal.

I'm sure that's the case, yet many still demonize the word liberal specifically. Both Clinton and Sanders when asked on multiple separate occasions, said they prefer the word progressive.

It didn't line up behind O'Malley because he was never even a contender. Is it so hard to admit that not everyone is voting for Bernie because of Bernie? Even on GAF you see Bernie supporters who seem to hate Clinton more than they like Bernie.

Or Chafee or Web? Clinton and Sanders were always the only two competitors. People didn't just get behind Sanders because he wasn't Hillary. If "not Hillary" dem voters were such a large crowd, we'd have seen a more dispersed distribution of support for the other dem candidates.

Reagan stigmatized the word in the '80s.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's gotten to be less of a "bad word" since Obama got elected.

Also, I'm not really sure the left cares about it.

Or Chafee or Web? Clinton and Sanders were always the only two competitors. People didn't just get behind Sanders because he wasn't Hillary. If "not Hillary" dem voters were such a large crowd, we'd have seen a more dispersed distribution of support for the other dem candidates.

I never said it was a large number of voters! Also, even if it was it wouldn't have dispersed because all those guys were polling at -12%. They went to the challenger most likely to dethrone her, just like how it happened in 2008.

It's gotten to be less of a "bad word" since Obama got elected.

That's good to hear. Maybe Sanders and Clinton still perceive the word poorly because of how it was viewed before. I wish one of them wouldn't shy away from the word.

EDIT: It's also occurred to me that a lot has happened since 2008 that doesn't necessarily relate specifically to President Obama that has also played a role in the increase in liberal voters.

Social media has boomed quite a bit since 2008. More people are using that than ever.

Also, I'm not really sure the left cares about it.

I never said it was a large number of voters! Also, even if it was it wouldn't have dispersed because all those guys were polling at -12%. They went to the challenger most likely to dethrone her, just like how it happened in 2008.

If they weren't a large number of voters why would it have had such an impact on Sanders voters who oppose liberal policy as per the exit polls we were just discussing?

royalan

I would say it's pretty racially insensitive considering those costumes invoke pretty stereotypical images of Mexicans on a Holiday that has very little to do with that.

It would be like wearing fake afros or donning blackface on MLK day. Or, somewhat less egregiously, people who wear Rastafarian colors and celebrate Bob Marley on 4/20, as if marijuana was all that man was about.

Cinco de Mayo is supposed to be about Mexican pride. You operate a Mexican restaurant. Do a damn special and call it a day.

johnsmith

remember me

It was racist as fuck. Like black history month frat party black face racist. If I had seen that I probably would have yelled at them and stormed out, I don't think I would have been able to maintain composure.

If you took pictures this could easily go viral in today's climate.

If they weren't a large number of voters why would it have had such an impact on Sanders voters who oppose liberal policy as per the exit polls we were just discussing?

i guess they aren't very large at the national level, they just had somewhat more outsized of an impact at individual state levels (particularly in OK)

PBY

Banned
Donald Trump tells West Virginians to not vote in the GOP primary on Tuesday. "Save your vote" for the general election, he says.

Gawdddddd

PoliGAF, I have a question, I think.

I'm only 21 and doesn't really remember any presidencies before Obama. And as much as I like Obama, I've been somewhat disappointed with his ability to get things through Congress. Healthcare was a big win, but since then it seems as though Republicans have blocked him at every turn. Guns are as easy to buy as ever, we're threatened with government shutdowns seemingly every year, and, most importantly to me by far, we've seen absolutely no meaningful climate change legislation passed (the new EPA rules aren't going to do much long-term). Obviously, none of this is Obama's fault, but from what I understand of the time period, Bill Clinton was able to get a lot more accomplished.

I have been rooting for Hillary throughout this primary, because she strikes me as as a really skilled/experienced politician. She actually kind of reminds me of Frank Underwood, in a positive I'm-going-to-get-stuff-done-whatever-it-takes kind of way. I'm not actually 100% sure where I got this idea from, but Hillary certainly has the experience.

I am convinced that HIllary will win the precedency this November. What's beginning to worry me though are her favorability ratings. If she's this unpopular now, and we haven't even gotten into the real election yet, will she have the public support necessary to be a productive president?

Asked another way—and I guess this is my real question—do favorability ratings generally have an impact on a president's power, and if so, are they likely to hamper HIllary?

Emarv

PoliGAF, I have a question, I think.

I'm only 21 and doesn't really remember any presidencies before Obama. And as much as I like Obama, I've been somewhat disappointed with his ability to get things through Congress. Healthcare was a big win, but since then it seems as though Republicans have blocked him at every turn. Guns are as easy to buy as ever, we're threatened with government shutdowns seemingly every year, and, most importantly to me by far, we've seen absolutely no meaningful climate change legislation passed (the new EPA rules aren't going to do much long-term). Obviously, none of this is Obama's fault, but from what I understand of the time period, Bill Clinton was able to get a lot more accomplished.

I have been rooting for Hillary throughout this primary, because she strikes me as as a really skilled/experienced politician. She actually kind of reminds me of Frank Underwood, in a positive I'm-going-to-get-stuff-done-whatever-it-takes kind of way. I'm not actually 100% sure where I got this idea from, but Hillary certainly has the experience.

I am convinced that HIllary will win the precedency this November. What's beginning to worry me though are her favorability ratings. If she's this unpopular now, and we haven't even gotten into the real election yet, will she have the public support necessary to be a productive president?

Asked another way—and I guess this is my real question—do favorability ratings generally have an impact on a president's power, and if so, are they likely to hamper HIllary?

Trump on the ballot means the Senate will flip and much of the House could change. With that kind of possibility, she could have a really effective first 2 years. Remember, the first two years of Obama's presidency when all 3 were liberal controlled was a super successful congressional period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom