• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 on PS3: Redeemable Steam Play copy explained

Interfectum said:
What the fuck are some of you guys talking about?

You can attach the PS3 Portal 2 to any Steam account... even a used copy. The game won't be gimped or left out in any way. The only thing that a used copy will be missing is the free PC version. It will still be steamworks enabled.

Also, Valve will still make their money off the PS3 sale even if people return it.
Yes but they don't make money off the person who buys that used version, do they?

Interfectum

Steve Youngblood said:
I still want to go back a second and establish whether or not the initial premise of "used copies won't get free updates" is even correct. Mind you, I haven't been following every piece of news about how linking Steamworks to PSN is going to work, so I'll gladly concede that I'm misunderstanding this if this is the case, but as far as I can tell that voucher serves no purpose other than redeeming the PC version for free. Why does not having that mean that I wouldn't get free updates for the PS3 version?

People here are being idiots. The voucher is only for the free PC version, not for the connection to Steam itself. A used copy can still be steam enabled.

Interfectum

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yes but they don't make money off the person who buys that used version, do they?

Just like any other game. I don't think Valve is too concerned with used PS3 sales.

In fact, I'm sure they are fine with it as long as a good portion of those people sign up for a Steam account.

Interfectum said:
People here are being idiots. The voucher is only for the free PC version, not for the connection to Steam itself. A used copy can still be steam enabled.

One dude is being an idiot by insisting that his friend who works at gamestop said they might not take it because they didnt take PSO in trade 7 years ago.

Foliorum Viridum said:

And no fucking company out there makes money off of used versions, do they?

This is fucking stupid. Valve is making their money off of new copies. If brand new copies go down to $20 due to the supersaturation of used PS3 copies out there, do you know who bites the bullet? The retailers! Valve already made their fucking money by selling those new copies to retailers so they don't give a shit who sells the used copies.

If someone wants the PC version of the game, I don't see how this PS3 copy allows them to get the PC version for cheaper. The person pays $59 instead of the $45 that it is right now on steam, and then they activate the code on their PS3 and then returns the game to gamestop and they're offered $5 for their game. That person still totally paid $10 more for the PC version.

YuriLowell said:
One dude is being an idiot by insisting that his friend who works at gamestop said they might not take it because they didnt take PSO in trade 7 years ago.

And you are being an idiot becuause that's not what I said. I was using the PSO games as my own example, my friend said that the reason why he believes his company won't be accepting trade-ins is because of the inaccessibility to the free content that comes with tying your PS3 copy to a steam account with the voucher.

And if that's not the case? Well, Valve still makes money from these sales regardless. So I don't see why all of these people are complaining.

TouchMyBox said:
If someone wants the PC version of the game, I don't see how this PS3 copy allows them to get the PC version for cheaper. The person pays $59 instead of the $45 that it is right now on steam, and then they activate the code on their PS3 and then returns the game to gamestop and they're offered $5 for their game. That person still totally paid $10 more for the PC version.

20 dollar amazon credit bruddah.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
And you are being an idiot becuause that's not what I said. I was using the PSO games as my own example, my friend said that the reason why he believes his company won't be accepting trade-ins is because of the inaccessibility to the free content that comes with tying your PS3 copy to a steam account with the voucher.

people have clearly pointed out that you can tie a ps3 copy to steam without the voucher. you don't get free portal 2 pc without the voucher.

Shurs

TouchMyBox said:

Retailers are offering deals on Portal 2.

For example, the $55 version of Portal 2 available on Amazon comes with a $20 credit, making the game, essentially, $35. $36 if you go with release day delivery.

*sigh* when people start calling people idiot in a thread, that's my cue to never return to that thread. If you disagree with someone's belief then say you disagree and let it be. Don't get all personal with attacks! Enjoy the discussion...

TouchMyBox said:
Yeah, in general, there's obviously some leeway for abuse here. But I don't understand the concern that there's legions of people who own a PS3 and a PC who are instantly going to understand how this might be exploited and follow through. Valve is a company that has been very successful in the PC marketplace -- a marketplace that many others erroneously fear is completely unprofitable due to 110% of all PC gamers being dirty, filthy pirates. I think they understand risk management when exploring their DRM options.

YuriLowell said:
people have clearly pointed out that you can tie a ps3 copy to steam without the voucher. you don't get free portal 2 pc without the voucher.

Alright then, so they might accept used copies, if they are smart enough to know that. But they weren't too swift with Phantasy Star Online, until recently I guess (according to Shurs's post).

shagg_187 said:
*sigh* when people start calling people idiot in a thread, that's my cue to never return to that thread. If you disagree with someone's belief then say you disagree and let it be. Don't get all personal with attacks! Enjoy the discussion...

And I agree with this. No sense in being hostile over this. I'll agree to disagree on the matter. Sorry for the insults.

Shurs

shagg_187 said:

Sorry.

I should have called his logic "misplaced" instead of "idiotic."

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Alright then, so they might accept used copies, if they are smart enough to know that. But they weren't too swift with Phantasy Star Online, until recently I guess (according to Shurs's post).
I don't know why you insist on the two being analogous situations. In one scenario, one misses out on getting a free PC version with their PS3 copy. In another, one word of the title of the game becomes invalid ('Online'). As for why they accept and/or sell used copies now? Haven't the servers been down for a while? New or used, you're playing PSO offline now.

Interfectum

GZ: Do you need the code to access co-op in the PS3 version, or can you simply play through PSN without touching Steam?

JB: You have to create a Steam account, which again can be via that quick create where all you're doing is clicking a button saying 'hey, I wanna play'. You don't need to input the code. You don't even need to have a full Steam account.

According to this interview the 'Steam code' is for unlocking the PC version on your preferred Steam account.

You can create as many Steam accounts as you want on the PS3 version. Thus the only thing gimped in the used PS3 version would be lack of a free PC code.

The only 'exploit' here is people potentially getting the PC version for free or at a discount (if they buy the PS3 version, use the PC code then turn around and sell it). Valve still gets your PS3 money and the used copies are still able to be Steam enabled. This is not a PSO situation at all.

neoism

Well... I'm glad.. My friend is a trophy freak so I'm saleing him my PS3 copy... I play shit on PC now... so were both happy. Only costing me $15. :D

Cheech

Yeah, I just split a Steam 2 pack of this game with a buddy. $40 each. Way easier than messing with Amazon credit and trade ins. Gave the free copies of Portal 1 to good homes too.

The opportunity cost for getting Steam into more homes is well worth it to Valve, I suspect. They are making way more money off Steam than their games.

cbox

This is perfect, I'll be able to give the ps3 version to my brother and keep my pc version, and we can play coop :D

Sysgen

ConvenientBox said:
This is perfect, I'll be able to give the ps3 version to my brother and keep my pc version, and we can play coop :D

Exactly. Not knowing much about this I just realized this. Seems to me this is an untapped feature. I would imagine, at least based on my circle of friends, there's enough Console/PC homes out there to make this worthwhile. Such a great feature for a game to allow this and remove split screen (something I detest) from the local coop equation. Will be buying the PS3 version for my PC and not selling it.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
if they've done this in the past, they don't do this anymore.

other games have come with vouchers that get you bonus games that stay with you after you trade it in and they still take it.

even if they didn't, this isn't really equivalent. a used 360 version is equally featured to a used PS3 version (steamworks and cross platform play aside). why would gamestop refuse the PS3 one and allow the 360 one?

you don't get any extra 'content' in buying the PS3 version of Portal 2, you get the game on an extra platform.

someone buying the PS3 version used can still play online with all their PS3 and PC friends just the same as if they buy it new, they just can't do it on a PC.

woolley

If too many people start trading in the PS3 version of Portal 2 companies would just drop how much they're gonna pay for the trade in or just not allow people to trade them in at all. So many people selling it back would saturate the market and wouldn't be good for retailers.

DenogginizerOS said:
Will I be able to play co-op with my wife if she is playing on my PS3 while I am on PC?

It shouldn't be a problem. As long as she isnt logged in on an account that's is linked to your Steam account, you should be able to play co-op. You should both be on a different Steam account.

traveler

Not Wario
Looks like we CAN play coop with the linked copies then. Great news. Will purchase the PS3 version after all and keep it around for coop play while using the PC version for single player. Excellent move, Valve!

In reference to the above, I assume the way to play coop using the two copies in the PS3 version is to link your actual steam account with the voucher, then create a new steam account to use on the PS3- is this correct? (or is it even necessary to be logged in to steam to PLAY online on the PS3?)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
OmegaDragon said:
It shouldn't be a problem. As long as she isnt logged in on an account that's is linked to your Steam account, you should be able to play co-op. You should both be on a different Steam account.
So, I have to buy two copies of the game then and have her register one to a new Steam account for her?

Angry Fork

Ysiadmihi said:
I have no interest in Portal 2 so I won't be "abusing" this, but Valve is just openly inviting it. There's nothing wrong with the consumer doing what's best for themselves.
This depends on morals. I think it's incredibly immoral to abuse this when Valve is the most consumer-friendly dev out there. Abusing this will only make it worse for consumers in the long run.

If it were truly the case that it's okay for people to do what's best for themselves no matter what then why not just steal the game off a shelf? If it weren't illegal then this could theoretically be a valid thing to do, even though it's immoral.

I'm not saying it's always immoral, some companies maybe do deserve to get shafted ie Activision, but Valve? Come on now. I'm saying it right now, anybody who abuses this is a piece of shit douchebag asshole, because you just don't do that with a company that's treated it's fans and userbase so well.

Interfectum

DenogginizerOS said:
So, I have to buy two copies of the game then and have her register one to a new Steam account for her?

You buy the PS3 version. Log in to your Steam account, input your Steam code (included in the box) and the PC version will appear in your account. Then log out of Steam on the PS3 version, have your wife create a new Steam account on the PS3 and log in. You get on the PC find her on Steam and there you go.

its really too bad that some of you are planning on taking advantage of a company that is taking a risk just to give us consumers more. I guess this will be the last time we see it happen...

Thanks master race :(

Interfectum

The Lamonster said:
And why isn't this feature available to Xbox users?

Microsoft's Xbox Live policy. They wont allow Steamworks.

BTW, this opens the door for a Battle.net enabled Diablo 3 for PS3. :p

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Valve, why you so awesome?
Sadly though, there will be people who'll take advantage of this and exploit the shit out of it.

hiryu

Gamestop still takes trade-ins of Bulletstorm, Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2, and every other EA game that comes with a code required for online play. They will take trade-ins of Portal 2 if the interview in the OP is correct. So will Amazon and Best Buy and any other company that takes trade-ins.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JodyAnthony said:
does anyone know if this has a cloud save? I'd love to be able to go back and forth from pc to ps3 and keep playing the same save.
The saves can't cross platform :(

They said they will try next time
for Episode 3.

Here's my problem:

If I get the Xbox 360 version, I will be able to play through the co-op campaign with my buddies and use voice chat, but I prefer the PC version for controls and visuals.

If I get the PS3 version, I will have it on PC for the single player but I don't have any friends on PS3 and it's not like we could voice chat anyway.

If I get the PC version, I'll be missing out completely on the co-op campaign.

Sucks man!

But you won't be able to play the PS3 version and the PC version from the same account together in co-op (or at the same time) since Steam Play only allows 1 version running at a time.

Top Bottom