• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 on PS3: Redeemable Steam Play copy explained

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ysiadmihi said:
If Valve wants to be pro-consumer in my eyes they can stop making games like Portal and L4D and get back to work on PC-focused games.
You are a crazy person.

Will buy PS3 because of lazy couch syndrome (+ lazy couch co-op friends :D )

Will also play on the PC for sure, but I'm interested how the trophy unlocks will work if I use the Steam cloudservice to play on PC and PS3.

Yes I'm a sucker for digital trophy icons so it's important to me....
:-(

Shurs said:
Why would it be considered useless?

Just like when GameStop considered used copies of the Phantasy Star Online games completely useless and didn't accept trade-ins of it, despite having the option to be played OFFLINE.

Also, those of you who DO buy the PS3 version used off of ebay and the like, don't forget that you'd be missing out on all of the free DLC and updates that all Steam Valve-enabled versions will have, which has me thinking that if your PS3 copy isn't tied to a Steam account, you will have to PAY for all of the content. That would be a smarter way to do it, Valve.

Shurs

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Just like when GameStop considered used copies of the Phantasy Star Online games completely useless and didn't accept trade-ins of it, despite having the option to be played OFFLINE.

You can play the PS3 version of Portal 2 online without the Steam key.

Smeghead

Your more likely to get more buy selling it online.

I'm not sure about the US but in the UK stores give you relative pennies for your games, i haven't traded a game in since about 2007.

How are valve going to make money from PS3 users signing up to Steam anyway?

Maybe a small percentage actively use their PC to game on and will therefore buy more games (sales and what not), are Valve introducing games to buy on steam via the PS3?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StevePharma said:
Will buy PS3 because of lazy couch syndrome (+ lazy couch co-op friends :D )

Will also play on the PC for sure, but I'm interested how the trophy unlocks will work if I use the Steam cloudservice to play on PC and PS3.

Yes I'm a sucker for digital trophy icons so it's important to me....
:-(
Trophies will only unlock if you play on PS3. Steam Achievements should unlock for all platforms that you tie your account + game to.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Detox said:
None of these have anything to do with cross-platform play. L4D uses exactly the same gameplay mechanics on PC and 360. Apart from MS there is nothing stopping cross platform play on official maps.

That's L4D. Counter-Strike is a game like TF2 where it can't really be enjoyed without a m/kb unless you significantly alter the game mechanics and cross platform play means the PC would also have to be affected by these alterations.

Detox

So is there going to be a deluge of ps3 copies that have used the pc code and ps3 users selling the pc code?

Shurs

Shed_a_Ninja said:
I KNOW THAT. But GameStop's policies may prevent reselling of the game.

Again, why?

Will they not be selling the Xbox 360 version as well? Used copies of the game on both PS3 and Xbox 360 offer the same functionality.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ysiadmihi said:
That's L4D. Counter-Strike is a game like TF2 where it can't really be enjoyed without a m/kb unless you significantly alter the game mechanics and cross platform play means the PC would also have to be affected by these alterations.
Oh come on, you think Valve would offend their largest active every day fan base with a sequel in that way?

Shurs said:
Again, why?

Will they not be selling the Xbox 360 version as well? Used copies of the game on both PS3 and Xbox 360 offer the same functionality.

No they don't. The PS3 version, with that voucher, also gets free content. The 360 version will be using Microsoft's Xbox Live service, which means you are going to have to pay for every damn thing that comes out because Microsoft has to charge for DLC. Also, the rest of this post that you missed.

DMeisterJ

Banned
This is why we can't have nice things.

I hope and pray GS doesn't accept used copies of Portal 2 like they did back with PSO. Dev does something nice only to be shat on (by some)... :/

Detox said:
So is there going to be a deluge of ps3 copies that have used the pc code and ps3 users selling the pc code?

As far as I can tell you have to have the PS3 game in to enter the code so it's not like people will just be able to sell codes on ebay or something.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ysiadmihi said:
Yeah I really want Valve designing games around cross platform play. Hopefully Counter-Strike 2 will have recharging health, iron sights and a hefty amount of auto-aim to boot.
Allowing cross platform play does not entail all that though. It's merely a way to play with others.

theBishop

Banned
Detox said:

I love PC gaming, but lets have some perspective here... in any other thread it would be common knowledge that consoles are more in mainstream demand than PC.

PC-first gamers, should take advantage of the $45 Steam preorder and already have the game preinstalled.

DMeisterJ said:
This is why we can't have nice things.

I hope and pray GS doesn't accept used copies of Portal 2 like they did back with PSO. Dev does something nice only to be shat on (by some)... :/

Rumor has it, through the retail grapevine, that GameStop won't be acepting used copies of the PS3 version of Portal 2, and I am trying to explain that, but then you still have the

129579161157.jpg

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Oh come on, you think Valve would offend their largest active every day fan base with a sequel in that way?

*If* crossplatform play were to exist in CS2, they would have to.

However, I think that when CS2 hits it will unquestionably be a PC focused experience.

Shurs

Shed_a_Ninja said:
No they don't. The PS3 version, with that voucher, also gets free content. The 360 version will be using Microsoft's Xbox Live service, which means you are going to have to pay for every damn thing that comes out because Microsoft has to charge for DLC. Also, the rest of this post that you missed.

You keep referencing your own posts but you logic is, quite frankly, idiotic.

Phantasy Star Online is completely missing its online mode.

A used copy of the PS3 version of Portal 2 can still be played online, just like the Xbox version.

What's missing from a used copy of the PS3 version is akin to a pre-order bonus.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shed_a_Ninja said:
Let me rephrase my statement:

"Despite Valve stating the game can be played perfectly fine without the PC voucher which is inside brand spanking new copies, rumor has it that GameStop will not be accepting trade-ins of the PS3 version anyway due to them believing that it will be useless to their used-buyers customers without the voucher ala Phantasy Star Online and the like."

Better?

Where is this rumor coming from? I have a friend who works at Gamestop and knows what's going on with the PS3 version. No such communication has been given to stores at this time regarding it.

Shurs said:
You keep referencing your own posts but you logic is, quite frankly, idiotic.

Phantasy Star Online is completely missing its online mode.

The PS3 version can still be played online, just like the Xbox version.

What's missing from a used copy of the PS3 version is akin to a pre-order bonus.

Future indefinite free content is the equivalent to a pre-order bonus? STFU, you are the one being idiotic.

Shurs

DrForester said:
Where is this rumor coming from? I have a friend who works at Gamestop and knows what's going on with the SP3 version. No such communication has been given to stores at this time regarding it.

He's making shit up.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ysiadmihi said:
You are letting your imagination get away with you.

Did the console Orange Box version significantly alter Episode 2, Portal, or Team Fortress 2 for PC?

Valve, unlike a lot of game devs, makes the vast majority of their money on the PC. they will always do so, because of Steam. The entire point of this Portal 2 code is to push people from the consoles to Steam on PC. Why on Earth would you think that any of this would negatively impact Valve's products on PC?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Htown said:
You are letting your imagination get away with you.

Did the console Orange Box version significantly alter Episode 2, Portal, or Team Fortress 2 for PC?

The Orange Box had cross platform play? News to me.

Also, yes, Portal was most definitely designed with pad limitations in mind so you could indeed say the PC version of it was altered.

DrForester said:
Where is this rumor coming from? I have a friend who works at Gamestop and knows what's going on with the PS3 version. No such communication has been given to stores at this time regarding it.

I have a few friends that work at GameStop, and they have said that their bosses have told them that since the voucher in the PS3 version allows for it to get indefinite free content, used copies of the PS3 version may not be accepted for trade-ins. Notice how I said *MAY NOT*? Because nothing is set in stone yet.

Shurs said:
He's making shit up.

You either have not been paying attention, or are buying the 360 version, thus are purposely missing out, but the PS3 version of Portal 2 gets the free content that the PC and Mac versions get. This is a fact.

Detox

I would also like to add some people play the Pc version of TF2 with a 360 controller (source has awesome support for this) and still have fun. I occasionally do and I'm not a TF2 veteran but the games I have played I'm usually in the top middle of the scoreboard and don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage.

Just a question has this been clarified is the pc code a normal steam key or only redeemable through PSN.

Also isn't this Valve's first proper game on PS3? If so it's a great move to get more fans.

Angst

Ysiadmihi said:
The Orange Box had cross platform play? News to me.

Also, yes, Portal was most definitely designed with pad limitations in mind so you could indeed say the PC version of it was altered.
dealwithit.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Pai Pai Master said:
Well, Valve's never gonna do this again. Someone's bound to ruin it for us all.
It's really not as bad when they're getting the sale but more of a moral issue.

Shurs

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Future indefinite free content is the equivalent to a pre-order bonus? STFU, you are the one being idiotic.

So, once again, there is parity between used copies of the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
I have a few friends that work at GameStop, and they have said that their bosses have told them that since the voucher in the PS3 version allows for it to get indefinite free content, used copies of the PS3 version may not be accepted for trade-ins. Notice how I said *MAY NOT*? Because nothing is set in stone yet.

this post is straight up from gamefaqs.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ysiadmihi said:
*If* crossplatform play were to exist in CS2, they would have to.

However, I think that when CS2 hits it will unquestionably be a PC focused experience.
Playing with a 360 pad on Black Ops PC gets you no auto-aim. I don't see why Valve would give that to console players in CS2. Just give them a cross-platform playlist with a warning that they will get dominated.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
You either have not been paying attention, or are buying the 360 version, thus are purposely missing out, but the PS3 version of Portal 2 gets the free content that the PC and Mac versions get. This is a fact.
Where is it explained that one needs to have the PSN account and Steam account linked via that one time code? I was under the impression that this only served the purpose of allowing the user to own the PC version in addition to the PS3 version?

snoopeasystreet said:
There's no way GameStop aren't going to take in trade ins of Portal 2 on PS3.

Well, they didn't take in trade-ins of these-

516243_front.jpg

928898_68309_front.jpg

914716_51865_front.jpg

Despite the games not having anything wrong with them being used.

Blueblur1

MrPliskin said:
Well, looks like you cheap good for nothings can hustle your way out of a few cases of mountain dew for Portal 2. Put on your Costanza hats and ruin it for us all! :)
Costanza. :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Shed_a_Ninja said:
Stop being dumb. Of course they'll take the game and resell it. Just look at the titles with codes to access the multiplayer.

Steamworks is just a bonus to Gamestop, and something the majority of PS3 owners don't care about.

Anybody who would have plans to buy a PS3 version just to sell and take the PC version, would already be waiting for the torrents anyway. I can see the extra copies being "given away" to friends with PCs and whatnot that may or may not have had plans to buy the game. I hardly see it as being an epidemic, the main route for people who want to game the system are going to take is still going to be just to download it either way.

fallagin

I really think that valve should have required steam login to play on ps3, some people will definitely take advantage of this.

Interfectum

What the fuck are some of you guys talking about?

You can attach the PS3 Portal 2 to any Steam account... even a used copy. The game won't be gimped or left out in any way. The only thing that a used copy will be missing is the free PC version. It will still be steamworks enabled.

Also, Valve will still make their money off the PS3 sale even if people return it.

I still want to go back a second and establish whether or not the initial premise of "used copies won't get free updates" is even correct. Mind you, I haven't been following every piece of news about how linking Steamworks to PSN is going to work, so I'll gladly concede that I'm misunderstanding this if this is the case, but as far as I can tell that voucher serves no purpose other than redeeming the PC version for free. Why does not having that mean that I wouldn't get free updates for the PS3 version?

Top Bottom