• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 on PS3: Redeemable Steam Play copy explained

chewydogg

This isn't going to hurt Valve as bad as a lot of you seem to think it will. Most of the people that will abuse this are people that have a gaming PC. If PS3 ver didn't come with a free PC copy, those people would buy the PC ver. Valve is still getting $$ from the PS3 sale. Do you really think there is going to be hundreds of thousands of people waiting to buy PS3 Portal 2 used?

Edit: It also seems that some of you think Steam=Steamworks. You won't have access to the Steam store or games on your PS3. But you will get updates through Steamworks at the same time as PC...

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Is the PS3 version going to support cloud saves? Could I technically play the game on both PC and PS3 if I get the PS3 version, whenever I feel like, without losing any progress?
Both versions support cloud saving however they don't support cross-platform.

EDIT: Seems several people are saying it does support cross-platform but last I heard it was a feature they wanted to implement but couldn't due to time or something.

Angst

duckroll said:
Is the PS3 version going to support cloud saves? Could I technically play the game on both PC and PS3 if I get the PS3 version, whenever I feel like, without losing any progress?
I don't think they've elaborated on this yet. I hope they have cloud saves supported, but I won't get my hopes up until they release any official info.

Jive Turkey said:
Both versions support cloud saving however they don't support cross-platform.
Hmm, didn't know that. Ah, well... would have been nice.

DrForester said:
I'm not 100% sure of the source, but I think the answer was yes somewhere in the other thread.

I could have sworn it didn't do cloud saves. I definitely remembering reading something from Valve about the logistics behind that being pretty difficult. Unless they've backpedalled and said that they figured it out?

EDIT: Never mind, beaten

Hakkuei

Siegfried said:
Great, I'll buy it on the ps3, link to my PC steam account, sell the game, buy the 360 version and play this one because of the achievements.
...achievements are also on steam.

So if both copies are tied to my Steam account, Steam would prevent me from playing the PC version while my wife plays co-op with me on the PS3?

MrPliskin

Banned
duckroll said:

Yes, PS3 version supports cloud saving. No, they aren't cross platform (meaning you can't continue on one to the other).

I'll give or trade the PC copy to a friend so we can play it. That's about the best thing I've heard from a console game in some time.

This is good news for me. At first I was gonna sell off/trade the PS3 copy but the more I think about it I love the idea of being able to play on my PC in my office or the PS3 in the living room at my leisure depending on where my wife is at the time.

1-D_FTW

Mango Positive said:
So if both copies are tied to my Steam account, Steam would prevent me from playing the PC version while my wife plays co-op with me on the PS3?

You can create as many Steam accounts as you want on PS3 (since the only DRM for PS3 is having the disc inside). You play on the PC account, your wife plays on a second account on the PS3.

alr1ghtstart said:
Realistically, how many people own a PS3 and a gaming PC? Probably not that many in the general populace. Since you need to link it via PS3, it won't be as abused as some of you guys make it out to be.

I havn't looked at the PC requirments but if they are similar to Portal 1 you don't need a "gaming PC" to run it, my old PC must of been 7 year old when Portal and TF2 were released and it had no problem running it at medium/high and that was just a normal desktop heck my toaster could probably run Portal 2 with source engine being that good.

jarosh

what i find hilarious is that if i pre-order the ps3 version from amazon.co.uk i essentially get 2 copies of the game for 15 euros LESS than if i buy the game on my local steam store, which will only give me one digital copy.

Kyoufu

jarosh said:
what i find hilarious is that if i pre-order the ps3 version from amazon.co.uk i essentially get 2 copies of the game for 10 euros LESS than if i buy the game on my local steam store, which will only give me one digital copy.

Sadly UK Amazon doesn't give 20 dollar equivalent credit. I wish .co.uk was as good as .com :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I thought they said Cloud saves between both would not work immediately? That was like 2 months ago and things change. Get excited if it does work, an awesome feature.

Siegfried said:
Great, I'll buy it on the ps3, link to my PC steam account, sell the game, buy the 360 version and play this one because of the achievements.
I hope you're not serious. Petty, if true.

Owensboro

Ysiadmihi said:
I have no interest in Portal 2 so I won't be "abusing" this, but Valve is just openly inviting it. There's nothing wrong with the consumer doing what's best for themselves.

YuriLowell said:

thisiswhywecanthavenicethings.jpg

Shurs

shagg_187 said:
P.S. Don't give me 'I got kids to feed' bullshit. I hope Gamestop prevent themselves from accepting trade-in for PS3 copy.

Why would they do that?

The max that Gamestop makes off of a new copy of Portal 2 is, what, $10?

If they give $20 in store credit for a used copy and sell it for $35, they'd be making more money than if they'd sold a new copy of the game.

shagg_187 said:
P.S. Don't give me 'I got kids to feed' bullshit. I hope Gamestop prevent themselves from accepting trade-in for PS3 copy.

I'm surprised you could finish writing that sentence, hahaha
:(

LiquidMetal14 said:
I thought they said Cloud saves between both would not work immediately? That was like 2 months ago and things change. Get excited if it does work, an awesome feature.
Yeah, they are aiming for it to work simultaneously but from the comments here I suppose I misinterpreted Valve's comment regarding cloud saving.

LiquidMetal14

chewydogg said:
This isn't going to hurt Valve as bad as a lot of you seem to think it will. Most of the people that will abuse this are people that have a gaming PC. If PS3 ver didn't come with a free PC copy, those people would buy the PC ver. Valve is still getting $$ from the PS3 sale. Do you really think there is going to be hundreds of thousands of people waiting to buy PS3 Portal 2 used?
Especially if you're not getting the PC version free!

bigace33

Danne-Danger said:
That PS3 version is going to drop in value pretty fast I reckon, if gamestop/whatever will even take it in.
Wont this hurt the PC sales more than the PS3? I mean, the PS3 will still be getting the initial sales while PC will have a bunch of free copies. Or am I looking at this wrong?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
bigace33 said:
Wont this hurt the PC sales more than the PS3? I mean, the PS3 will still be getting the initial sales while PC will have a bunch of free copies. Or am I looking at this wrong?

Every PC copy has to be bought new (via Steam, retail, or via PS3 version). I really don't think Valve cares where the sale comes from.

LiquidMetal14

bigace33 said:
No, you got the idea. They are still getting a sale here, people can do what they want but I for one want to try playing this on PS3 with my PC friends and vice versa. Awesome features like this should be rewarded with sales.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
bigace33 said:

Probably. But Valve will be getting enough of my money with DLC I'm sure. So I'm not feeling too guilty about trading in my PS3 version ASAP.

Xdrive05

Can't wait for impressions of the ps3 version, given Valve's complaints about the hardware. I plan on couch coop with the wifey and single player on my rig. 30fps is fine as long as it's consistent and the IQ/settings is high.

Smeghead

So people who genuinely want to play the PS3 copy are better off buying a second hand copy for cheaper, and since there will be shit loads floating in the market, this will dilute the price of it.

The condition will pretty much be brand new also since PC users will put it on ebay or whatever straight away.

Siegfried

LiquidMetal14 said:
I hope you're not serious. Petty, if true.

Nope, I'm not. I'll just get the 360 version. I don't care about the ps3 version and I'll probably get the game on steam 1 year later when it's cheap on sale so I have motivation for a second playthrough.

Of course I'll only do that if it turns out to be great like the first one.

Xater

I still need to know if I can play coo-op with my own PS3 and PC versions of the game. If that is also possible this would be an awesome thing.

Green Scar said:
I'm surprised you could finish writing that sentence, hahaha
:(
Hahaha oh well... Good luck to everyone that are willing to abuse one of the most important changes in gaming. If this is a success (and I hope it is) then I expect other companies to adapt this feature and giving legit buyers what they always wanted: more freedom.

If this fails and gets abused to neverland then don't complain when more strict DRM is applied while taking this as an example.

All in all, don't disappoint me GAF. You're better than that...

YuriLowell said:
I wonder how the ps3 version will turn out technically.

Wasn't the Orange box on ps3 a mess?

PS3 Orange Box wasn't developed by Valve, i think. and to answer your question, i'm playing through Half-Life 2 on PS3 at the moment, and i think it's fine technically. so far at least. framerate can be crappy at times but nothing i haven't seen in many other PS3 games. and i think the image quality is better than what i'm used to... seems to have decent anti-aliasing. i'm ok with the technical side. however i've read that Episode 1 and 2 are worse... so we'll see.

also Portal was fine on PS3, except for the loadtimes after dying. and i'm sure Valve can do a better job with Portal 2 than EA did with the Orange Box, even though it's not a mess IMO.

jarosh

Kyoufu said:
Sadly UK Amazon doesn't give 20 dollar equivalent credit. I wish .co.uk was as good as .com :(
i paid £27 on amazon.co.uk (~$43.90) vs. $54.99 on amazon.com. that's $11 less. i'm happy with that :) especially considering how i'm expected to pay eur 44.99 (!) on steam (= £40 or $65)!

Top Bottom