• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reset: The Story of Polygon - financed by Microsoft for $750,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
christ it even has that tinkling guitar music you hear in commercials for community colleges.

this (non-existent) website is so gross.

mujun

Not a good way to promote the site if you ask me. Came off as supercilious.

A good podcast would sell me instantly.

Empty

giant bomb videos aren't about a story so much as ways for naturally funny people to express themselves and entertain people so their story is fine on paper, though i haven't watched it so i dunno.

polygon's doc from their promo seems to be a serious, dramatic series about the terribly arduous toll of changing jobs and one tenth (if i'm being generous) of the story of the struggles of running a new editorial website in this climate - except one backed by more venture capital and existing base from the engadget people at verge than 99% of editorial startups - with a bundle of indie documentary filmaking cliches drooped over it. combine that with a mission statement that declares that they're redefining games journalism even though they're evidently not from their output, which is perfectly fine on its own without undermining it with hyperbole - i really like phil and matt leone for example - and it's all rather offputting.

giant bomb videos aren't about a story so much as ways for naturally funny people to express themselves and entertain people so their story is fine on paper, though i haven't watched it so i dunno.

polygon's doc from their promo seems to be a serious, dramatic series about the terribly arduous toll of changing jobs and one tenth (if i'm being generous) of the story of the struggles of running a new editorial website in this climate - except one backed by more venture capital and existing base from the engadget people at verge than 99% of editorial startups - with a bundle of indie documentary filmaking cliches drooped over it. combine that with a mission statement that declares that they're redefining games journalism even though they're evidently not from their output, which is perfectly fine on its own without undermining it with hyperbole - i really like phil and matt leone for example - and it's all rather offputting.
but they got a sick logo and FONTS man. THE FONTS.

It's a picture of Crecente from a party doing a face. So anyone who has ever done a face for a photo is sudden so in love with themselves that is sickening? Cool.

Ever go to Kotaku back in the day? There were about 10 pictures of him like that on the frontpage at any given moment. That's what I meant. He comes off as a narcissist.

MrDaravon

You are completly missing the point... The problem was never "Oh they should stop wasting time making a movie to focus on the website"... The problem was "Maybe they should start by having a website and actually prove that they have something worth a damn before making a self wanking movie on how great and amazing they think they are".

This is the most pretentious thing I've seen in years...

This. Phil is completely missing the point here. This is the most masturbatory pretentious shit I have seen in a long time. If this is how you are trying to drum up interest leading up to the proper launch of the site, you could not be doing it more wrong. The people that primarily going to see this are the most jaded and cynical, and look at the response. Good God man.

You have to earn the bullshit that is being spouted here. You haven't done that.

Context of modern society is important. As people struggle to hold onto jobs, unemployment is part of many people's lives and many recent college graduates are becoming one of the many underemployed at their local Home Depot, creating a documentary with this tone is incredibly off-putting. Guys, you're writing about video games. Just do your job and smile that you're not helping a 10 year-old at Gamestop right after college with $40,000 in loans clawing down your throat.

And again, I don't necessarily care what your intention for this movie is. After watching the trailer, this is how I immediately felt.

Curufinwe

I'm not ruling out that this is a very self aware joke, to be honest. I'd be a lot more comfortable with this if it was a tongue in cheek spoof.

This is a site that said "Hope in Mass Effect 3 is the sharp edge of a knife, and BioWare wields that implement like a surgeon."

And think that showing one of them getting a (Polygon?) tattoo in their teaser video is somehow interesting or appealing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Some of the Polygon guys are already doing that "sarcastic passive aggressive back and forth tweeting" cat fighting with random people over this teaser. Didn't take very long!

It really seems like those guys spend a lot of time googling themselves. Especially McElroy

You are right. I think I was misinterpreting some of the posts on here. I agree that it is off-putting and doesn't make me any more interested in Polygon (probably the opposite). But its not like its tasteless or surprising that a new website would launch with self-promoting video. Its the "documentary" version of a mission statement.

But yeah, the way it was done (based only on a trailer of course) doesn't grab me either.

I'm a Giant Bomb guy myself. Just some cool dudes talking about video games. That and GAF are all I need.

The motivation behind the documentary isn't really important. Most people won't see that. Culture will take what you're putting out and create independent ideas about it. As good ol' Negus says, media creators try to understand and influence culture (which by all means, they sometimes can), but at the end of the day, culture comes from within and not outside.

You can't tell people what to think of your output.

You're correct, of course, which is why I said I'll let the video series speak for itself as it comes out. My bad for doing otherwise briefly.

Nothing but love for ya Phil, I always appreciate you willingness to post on GAF.

Nothing but love for GAF. Gotta always be prepared to have my turn getting lashed if I'm going to enjoy the GAF-lashings other people get.

I would probably be less turned off if they didn't do the whole "tweeting back to each negative person thing" it turns me off more than anything to be honest.

Prove the naysayers wrong with your content not snarky twitter replies

Derrick01

Banned
I have to keep reminding myself that this place is the place that hired most of the game "journalists" that I can't stand in this industry. I'm not saying everyone that works there is bad, but that the people I can't stand almost all seem to work there now.

I'd like to know who came up with this idea. Is the marketing department trying to craft an image for these guys or did they come up with this themselves?

Harlock

devil2.gif

polygon_twitter.gif

eznark

Banned
I'm hoping that this obvious Vox trend towards insufferable douchiness leads to Arthur Geis leaving the internet for a year.

Tain

trying to figure out what i should expect from this site

aside from all of the indie fellating and hobby loathing that's bound to go down, i mean

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm very interested in Polygon since I love The Verge but this seems a bit too much for a video game site (at least in my opinion).

VanWinkle

It's just like The Verge. Biggest egos I've ever seen in tech journalism. Like Nilay Patel, the guy just exudes narcissism. But all of them seem to, really.

I love threads like this. It's one of the rare occasions where GAF can all get behind the same cause - in this case, shitting on self absorbed "journalists".

CorySchmitz

1. This doc is in no way affecting the speed at which they develop their site
2. A good website takes a long time to make
3. Still on track for their projected release date

I can see it being pretentious, but at the same time I'm looking forward to it. Justin, Griffin, Chris, Russ, and Brian and co are all such interesting and entertaining people that I've been eagerly anticipating a gaming news website. I know it's ridiculous, but I have a feeling that it's going to be great.

Also The Besties is the best podcast since MBMBaM, but that's only natural since it has 2/3rds of the magic.

Did someone actually do this? If so, WOW.

Yeah I just heard Anthony Gallegos mention they did this with the money they got when they launched Rebel FM. Paid for Tyler's gaming PC. I heard that and thought "really? WTF?" and was surprised I hadn't seen anything on GAF about it. I like Rebel FM, and like the four guys on the podcast. But I thought that was kind of shitty.

7threst

I know them & I made the logo :p It's gonna be a rad site, trust me!

Trust? All we need is evidence. Meaning, an actual website with content instead of pretentious trailers. New websites dedicated to things I like are cool, but not as it is presented here... I can do what they can do. Most on GAF I think. There is no need for this pretentiousness.

MrDaravon

Yeah I just heard Anthony Gallegos mention they did this with the money they got when they launched Rebel FM. Paid for Tyler's gaming PC. I heard that and thought "really? WTF?" and was surprised I hadn't seen anything on GAF about it. I like Rebel FM, and like the four guys on the podcast. But I thought that was kind of shitty.

Holy fuck, please tell me you are kidding. Where exactly did you hear this?

CorySchmitz

Trust? All we need is evidence. Meaning, an actual website with content instead of pretentious trailers. New websites dedicated to things I like are cool, but not as it is presented here... I can do what they can do. Most on GAF I think. There is no need for this pretentiousness.

Yeah! You'll just have to wait a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom