• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reset: The Story of Polygon - financed by Microsoft for $750,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

How can anyone hate Alex Navarro? I mean, when he isn't saying "That's a thing".

Recently I was thinking about starting a videogame "the onion" site to lambast this stuff. Too stupid to really get it off the ground. I should pick up website building as a hobby.

Elginer

NeoGAF: the story of the most influential website in the gaming industry

3L4gu.gif

I BELIEVE it.

dLMN8R

I think it's kinda funny how those here espousing this faux outrage are also people who seem to follow everyone they're bitching about on Twitter.

It's like they want to be at the forefront of bitching about them as soon as they do anything that neatly fits into the narrative they've crafted for them.

7threst

Recently I was thinking about starting a videogame "the onion" site to lambast this stuff. Too stupid to really get it off the ground. I should pick up website building as a hobby.

Haha, now here is a website I WOULD visit without question!

DaBuddaDa

I think it's kinda funny how those here espousing this faux outrage are also people who seem to follow everyone they're bitching about on Twitter.

It's like they want to be at the forefront of bitching about them as soon as they do anything that neatly fits into the narrative they've crafted for them.

It isn't faux, it's quite real, and it isn't outrage, it's skepticism and calling foul. Do you have evidence of which of the hundreds of posters in this thread follow "everyone they're bitching about" on Twitter?

dLMN8R

It isn't faux, it's quite real, and it isn't outrage, it's skepticism and calling foul. Do you have evidence of which of the hundreds of posters in this thread follow "everyone they're bitching about" on Twitter?

Whatever it is, it's nerds getting way too serious about shit that doesn't matter and that they should just ignore if they don't like it. I don't have evidence for my claims, because they're not serious claims, just mere anecdotal observations based on some people in this thread.

I just think it's funny how worked up people get over this stuff.

DaBuddaDa

Whatever it is, it's nerds getting way too serious about shit that doesn't matter and that they should just ignore if they don't like it. I don't have evidence for my claims, because they're not serious claims, just mere anecdotal observations based on some people in this thread.

I just think it's funny how worked up people get over this stuff.

So you're making a "u mad?" argument and using school yard insults towards posters in this thread. Instead of making baseless accusations and telling us what to discuss and what not to discuss, feel free to take your own advice and ignore this thread.

Talon

All I care about is Matt Leone.

Matt Leone.
Matt Leone.
Matt Leone.

Oh wait, that asshat Arthur is over there, too. I'm conflicted.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I kept... expecting the video to turn into a parody. These people take themselves this seriously?

Why would you ever trust the opinion of people that thought it was a great idea to show their struggles in creating a game review website and match it to arty shots and inspirational music? My god! AAAaaaaah!

I love Arthur Gies tweet back to Garnett. Sure hope theyre never going to cover any videogame trailers or indeed previews in a remotely negative light because... WHOOPS! AMMO.

I thought that was the stupidest video I have seen in a long time. Do these people think they are the 92 Dream Team's version of video game writers? I don't think so.

I think there's a problem when the teaser trailer alone puts me off from wanting to know any more.

The difference between this kind of "personality" driven site and Giant Bomb is that the GB guys don't come off like they feel the need to justify their existence, they just do good work and we lap it up because it's entertaining and actually quite informative. They acknowledge that video games are more often than not kind of dumb and that's okay.

There's this unnecessarily somber vibe coming off from the whole endeavor. Show the enthusiast press being actually enthusiastic about their field. They chose to be there, after all.

crayman

There's totally room for personality driven games sites, but you kind of have to earn it.

Polygon has a lot of hilarious dudes. Justin gets a bad rap around here, but he's been great on all of his many many podcasts. If it was just a video series of the besties guys goofing around, that'd probably be great! As it is, everything on this page is so sickeningly self congratulatory, did they really think this was endearing?

Its founders, some of the most accomplished journalists working in the medium, hope it will broaden the possibilities for video game media, bringing new eyes and attention to an industry on the cusp of a revolution.

KalBalboa

Banned
i1YK34FmrmqlO.JPG

Oh wow. I'm assuming Garnett is talking about the trailer itself and not Polygon as a whole, though. I think Arthur's defense doesn't hold a ton of water, here.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Isn't that basically what many gaming sites have become? From Giant Bomb to the blog sites (Kotaku, Destructoid, Joystiq etc.) to IGN. IGN's even gone as far as to create shows specifically for their staff.

I really hope that's not the case because the majority of their staff does not have the charisma to pull that off. There's 'gaming' people with youtube shows that have more charisma than most journalists, and they don't even have the access that those enthusiasts do. Hell, GB's great and all, but I don't even think all of them are charismatic(and they're the best example I can think of at a personality driven gaming site)

Adam Sessler and maybe Jeff Green are the only other guys in enthusiast press(you know it's coming, Jeff) that come off well in front of a camera or mic.

Why the fuck else would people go to GiantBomb otherwise?
Klepek's one of the few guys in the industry who writes interesting pieces. Like, him and Kuchera

I think there's a problem when the teaser trailer alone puts me off from wanting to know any more.

The difference between this kind of "personality" driven site and Giant Bomb is that the GB guys don't come off like they feel the need to justify their existence, they just do good work and we lap it up because it's entertaining and actually quite informative. They acknowledge that video games are more often than not kind of dumb and that's okay.

There's this unnecessarily somber vibe coming off from the whole endeavor. Show the enthusiast press being actually enthusiastic about their field. They chose to be there, after all.

For me it comes down to the difference between trying to craft an image versus just being yourself.

kadotsu

Banned
I'm just glad that the promise of NEW GAMES JOURNALISM is finally comming to fruition. Can't wait to hear about the breakfast of Bioshock Infinite's reviewer.

If the site is live by then

cackhyena

Klepek's one of the few guys in the industry who writes interesting pieces. Like, him and Kuchera

That's fine, but I'm not interested in a lot of what goes on in gaming, as much as I come here. I dig games, but I dig the great personalities of the Bombcast shooting off about anything other than games much more so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom