• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reset: The Story of Polygon - financed by Microsoft for $750,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

firen

I LOVE this. Not the doc though.

edit:I'm excited for the documentary about the backlash of the documentary.

SAN FRANCISCO

Time lapse shot of early morning traffic in the Bay. Ambient music.

Cut and slow-pan right as JEFF GERSTMANN sits on a sill and stares out a window into the soft blue glare of the morning light. He is contemplative. Cut to confessional shot of JEFF.

JEFF: I... I think that video games provide a unique medium and opportunity to elucidate upon them.

Black and white, left shot, Dutch angle

JEFF: That's my calling in life. It's not an easy one.

KalBalboa

Banned
I honestly do get the approach of hyping a website up these days.

The market is crowded (hell, even I write and produce video reviews these days in my spare time), so they're approaching it in a way that will hopefully build them some hype.

The trailer is modern, we have to give them that, and it'll hopefully for them it'll get some new eyes on the site. They need to market and tease the site in a way that gets people curious, so I suppose showing the human side of the writing and documenting it as such is a way to go about that. Footage of review writing isn't the best sell.

Grecco

When respected members of the game press arent reacting positively to the video. Then maybe just maybe it isnt just "random angry depressed troglodytes" and maybe just maybe the video was a poor idea.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Who's in charge over at Polygon anyhow? Why has he or she not told the staff to not respond to negative tweets, and to behave properly when it comes to social media? They should know how to behave in the first place when you represent your company online but JEEZUS this is getting sad.

Dunbar

If they've misjudged their prospective audience this badly before the thing has even launched, I can't wait to see what kind of demented shit they come up with when they have to fill a site with content every day.

VanWinkle

Not only did they release a trailer for a multi-part documentary about a random video game website, but this was just the TEASER trailer. We didn't even get the full trailer yet.
KuGsj.gif

Havok

I love people on twitter defending it by saying "Giant Bomb did the same thing!" except that the first episode of How to Build a Bomb was Jeff and Ryan realizing that they forgot the keys to the new office and having to go to a hardware store to have new ones made. It set the tone perfectly for that site: "Boy, that was dumb!" It's fun and not at all self-serious. I mean, the splash image for that video series has the cover of fucking Shaq-Fu on it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not only did they release a trailer for a multi-part documentary about a random video game website, but this was just the TEASER trailer. We didn't even get the full trailer yet.
KuGsj.gif

Now now, we've been told not to judge the show on the teaser trailer.

Jburton

Banned
Wow, Garnett Lee. Proving again and again why he's the kingpin of VG enthusiast press.

Nonsense, Garnett is a spent force ..... his podcast is shit and shacknews?

Who?

Anyway, this is pretentious BS, Arthur is a boring dick (never liked that guy) but I think the end product will still manage to be better than IGN, gametrailers, joystiq, kotaku etc.

Oh God, Justin McElroy constantly pointing out that "it's just 43 seconds of footage, don't jump to conclusions about what it'll be like!" and Ryan Davis schooling him with, "It's a trailer, the whole point was to show people what it's like."

eznark

Banned
Oh God, Justin McElroy constantly pointing out that "it's just 43 seconds of footage, don't jump to conclusions about what it'll be like!" and Ryan Davis schooling him with, "It's a trailer, the whole point was to show people what it's like."

He's right. You should hold off judgement until you get the DVD box in the mail. Then spin, spin, spin with glee.

KalBalboa

Banned

Them's fightin' words. Weekend Confirmed is an awesome show.

Yeah, that's the cardinal reason why I don't get Gies giving Lee grief over his judgments.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Are we going to get a trailer with voiceover by all of Russ Frushtick's HIGH-LARIOUS characters from The Besties?

This all feels like the sorry love child of a Giant Bomb/1UP Yours/Area 5 mating orgy gone horribly wrong.

kylej

Banned
I hope part of the documentary shows the members of Polygon browsing GAF for hours in the hopes that they can regurgitate news stories that break here first.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Its just digging this huge and vast chasm for when the site does go live and he or any of their team starting bagging on some project or whatever from a demo or trailer or anything. "How can you possibly tell?!!!"

CARAVELLA RESIDENCE

VINNY and I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF VINNY'S WIFE are seated in a sparkling white modern kitchen engaged in quiet conversation.

Soft focus shots of papers and computer equipment. A closeup of VINNY's furrowed brows and eyes, deep in thought.

Interspersed shots of birds in trees, neighbor children running through sprinklers on lawns in the orange glow of a late afternoon sun.

Title card: Video Games

SAN FRANCISCO

Time lapse shot of early morning traffic in the Bay. Ambient music.

Cut and slow-pan right as JEFF GERSTMANN sits on a sill and stares out a window into the soft blue glare of the morning light. He is contemplative. Cut to confessional shot of JEFF.

JEFF: I... I think that video games provide a unique medium and opportunity to elucidate upon them.

Black and white, left shot, Dutch angle

JEFF: That's my calling in life. It's not an easy one.

I just almost spit out my coffee. Bravo.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Episode 5: Getting fired, begging fans for money and giving your buddy said money to build a PC.

Ice cold.

@ the documentary:

Not very invested on the idea, to be honest, but I prefer to hold judgement until I get to watch it.

Who's in charge over at Polygon anyhow? Why has he or she not told the staff to not respond to negative tweets, and to behave properly when it comes to social media? They should know how to behave in the first place when you represent your company online but JEEZUS this is getting sad.

This is what I don't get. Don't act like a bully online about your VC-funded website. They have some fantastic writers but wow, get a grip.

I really hope that's not the case because the majority of their staff does not have the charisma to pull that off.

I could be wrong, but how else would you explain a documentary like this? It just seems to be an easy way to get the personalities out there.

There's 'gaming' people with youtube shows that have more charisma than most journalists, and they don't even have the access that those enthusiasts do.

Mark from Classic Game Room. :)

AutumnAve

Who?

Anyway, this is pretentious BS, Arthur is a boring dick (never liked that guy) but I think the end product will still manage to be better than IGN, gametrailers, joystiq, kotaku etc.

I respectfully disagree on all points. Good day.

What was the money supposed to be used for?

I think for podcasting equipment, basically like a proto-kickstarter.

From my point of view, it seemed like a bunch of people who came late to the 1UP party capitalized on the good will built up through the years by the more established personalities.

I think this is a result of self-important game journos, who of course have always to actually be devs, internalizing that desire and deciding instead to treat their game journo website like a dev house. That's the only way I can rationalize this. Has Crecente's fingerprints all over it though.

Also:

Robert Goode ‏@Shipwreck
Temper reactions to the Polygon trailer until we see some actual in-game footage. Lighten up people. Don't want a big beef rumble at PAX.

see5harp

Garnett Lee can be so obnoxious. The best part of Weekend Confirmed is Jeff Cannata non sequitors. I don't listen to video game podcasts to hear video game news. It's about you, regardless of whether you want to better report games and the creators. I'm interested in the McElroy brothers and the hot asian chick. I don't care that much about the release date for the latest COD map pack.

7threst

This thing gets a lot of attention on Twitter at the moment. I think it's a good idea if the guys at Polygon hired some professionals who know how to use social media in the correct way instead of looking like an asshole. Some of these replies can only backfire, wow...

Add some ambient music that transitions into a soulful guitar or piano.

i actually have some super-generic-ass-background-music on my work computer he could use. it sounds almost identical to that wishy-washy junk in the polygon trailer.

Recently I was thinking about starting a videogame "the onion" site to lambast this stuff. Too stupid to really get it off the ground. I should pick up website building as a hobby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom