• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reset: The Story of Polygon - financed by Microsoft for $750,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's fine, but I'm not interested in a lot of what goes on in gaming, as much as I come here. I dig games, but I dig the great personalities of the Bombcast shooting off about anything other than games much more so.

Also, where are you getting GiantBomb from? I just used them as a comparison to Polygon. I'm saying that, if Polygon is a personality driven site, they're probably going to have some issues.

Gannd

Banned
Justin McElroy is a child. He replied to me on Twitter and never actually wants to respond to the criticism, he just wants to name call. They are so brave leaving their jobs to make a lateral move to a new company that received millions in VC. They are brave!

VanWinkle

ibxwx5KUi1ZMzt.JPG

YES. Love these haha.

The roasting they're getting from other journos is delicious.

When Giant Bomb started, their "documentary" videos were unadvertised impromptu videos of them in a basement looking at piles of boxes and whiteboards and being all, "Welp, guess we've got to build a website now or something."

buhdeh

The building giant bomb series of videos were awesome.

Making a documentary (and a trailer for that documentary!) for a gaming site is hilarious. I think it's worse because they're part of the verge which is already filled with a staff of pretentious douches.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The building giant bomb series of videos was awesome.

Making a documentary (and a trailer for that documentary!) for a gaming site is hilarious. I think it's worse because they're part of the verge which is already filled with a staff of pretentious douches.

those were more like updates on their progress / meet the staff at whiskeymedia

How does that one dude getting a tattoo explain how they are going to change game writing forever?

That is Author. I was guessing he is trying to give himself a image of being a badassery. My tattoo artist would tell me to get the camera out of the shop while he is inking me up.

Trevelyon

When Giant Bomb started, their "documentary" videos were unadvertised impromptu videos of them in a basement looking at piles of boxes and whiteboards and being all, "Welp, guess we've got to build a website now or something."

Honestly, it could've used a somber piano solo, overcast weather and long contemplative stares with some low angle shots.

cackhyena

Also, where are you getting GiantBomb from? I just used them as a comparison to Polygon. I'm saying that, if Polygon is a personality driven site, they're probably going to have some issues.

I know what you're saying. GB is brought up as a reason for my thinking that you're wrong.

If they intend to be a personality driven site then maybe their first step would to try and be likable. This video is doing them no such favors.

Honestly, it could've used a somber piano solo, overcast weather and long contemplative stares with some low angle shots.

CARAVELLA RESIDENCE

VINNY and I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF VINNY'S WIFE are seated in a sparkling white modern kitchen engaged in quiet conversation.

Soft focus shots of papers and computer equipment. A closeup of VINNY's furrowed brows and eyes, deep in thought.

Interspersed shots of birds in trees, neighbor children running through sprinklers on lawns in the orange glow of a late afternoon sun.

Title card: Video Games

Goldmund

Even if this wasn't genuinely laughable and embarrassing: we live in paralyzing times when anyone who wears their ingenuous romanticism and blithe enthusiasm -- indispensable blemishes to bring about a watershed event -- on their sleeves is ridiculed and put into place deeply wounded and humiliated. It's a shame.

KalBalboa

Banned
Goddamn, you're not kidding.

I would still honestly like to know exactly where Anthony disclosed that they used the Rebel FM donation money to buy Tyler a PC. Because if that's true I am going to seriously fuck some shit up.

Not to fuel the flame, but here's some acknowledgement:

7833316126_165c8e319e_z.jpg

And yeah, I donated to Rebel FM back in the day after the 1upocalypse.

CARAVELLA RESIDENCE

VINNY and I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF VINNY'S WIFE are seated in a sparkling white modern kitchen engaged in quiet conversation.

Soft focus shots of papers and computer equipment. A closeup of VINNY's furrowed brows and eyes, deep in thought.

Interspersed shots of birds in trees, neighbor children running through sprinklers on lawns in the orange glow of a late afternoon sun.

Title card: Video Games

ooooh I hope a voiceover of Vinny talking to the interviewer starts during all that b-roll and then halfway through what he's saying we cut to one of those confessional shots

MrDaravon

I'm pretty fucking livid right now, I donated $75 to them as well. What a fucking mistake. If you see this Arthur: fuck you. I hate Polygon's layout anyway, but I will straight up not have anything to do with that site or ever go there as long as he is on staff, I don't care how petty it is or not.

KalBalboa

Banned
Well yeah. But the roster when it started is far different from where it ended up. Hell, wasn't Nick Suttner on it in the beginning?

Yeah, but that's kind of part of the problem when you think about it. A lot of those guys were great people, but after donating and seeing where some of the money went... well, it got some people rightfully pissed.

I had thought this incident was well known already on GAF.

I guess not.

Anyhow, this is the level of professionalism you can expect from the folks at Polygon.

I'm curious enough about how Polygon came together that I would probably watch it, but no way would I ever pay to watch a promotional video for a website, if that's what they are asking.

Megasoum

Banned
I wonder if they have a name internaly when they talk about each other... Like "The Tribe" or something like that... they must have right?

KalBalboa

Banned
I had thought this incident was well known already on GAF.

I guess not.

Anyhow, this is the level of professionalism you can expect from the folks at Polygon.

It was, but some people here were doubting it or wondering if it was just a rumor or misinterpretation.

Either way, it has little to do with the trailer put up today, I admit.

Gannd

Banned
I'm curious enough about how Polygon came together that I would probably watch it, but no way would I ever pay to watch a promotional video for a website, if that's what they are asking.

Vox media came from SBNation which came from Markos Moulitsas and Tyler from Athletics Nation. They received millions from VC to build The Verge and Polygon. But, Justin thinks they are so brave that they left their other editorial jobs in exchange for equity in Vox. BRAVE!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, wow EZNark - Arthur has it out for you. Amazing.

MrDaravon

It was, but some people here were doubting it or wondering if it was just a rumor or misinterpretation.

Either way, it has little to do with the trailer put up today, I admit.

Nope, because what they're apparently trying to do is sell themselves on the personalities there, and that's a pretty damning issue from one of their core staff members. Then you have stuff like the Skyrim dance and tons of stuff from some of the other staff members as well. Their staff creditability is pretty much their biggest thing right now, or at least should be.

eznark

Banned

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8301/7833316126_165c8e319e_z.jpg[/img

And yeah, I donated to Rebel FM back in the day after the 1upocalypse.[/QUOTE]

I thought the two he sent after that were more damning, especially if you gave them money.

I sure as hell didn't. But oohhh I am bitter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom