• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preview of Pokémon Sun & Moon anime broadcast (+ Pokémon Horizon, new manga)

Dragoshi1

XYZ eps are infinitely better than the previous arcs, animation is on point, music, story, ect.

But maybe its budget cuts, to explain where they're at now with Sun/Moon.

El_Sirio

Neo Member
Pokémon is making some good bets, as I see. The new games are looking good and introducing various changes, and so it seems that's going to be the same for the anime, starting with the art.

The teaser doesn't show too much of how the plot is gonna unfold, so i'm kinda expecting the first episode. I've got a good feeling about this season, because the anime needs to attract people again, after the ratings of the last weeks.

The Boat

Should I watch all of XYZ or is there a list of worthwhile episodes? I don't really feel like watching Team Rocket blasting off once again, more interested in actual battles and stuff.

Relevant to this thread is a tweet by Ken Ootsuka, one of the top Japanese animators. He specializes in mecha animation, in shows such as Gundam Build Fighters and Concrete Revolutio, though he can do all kinds of animation well. He had this to say about the new Sun and Moon anime footage:

Rough translation said:
The new Pokemon TV series drawings feel good and are pleasantly loose. They are widely liked across the entire [anime] industry.

MicH

I don't really have a lot of interest in this, but Team Rocket having a Bewear and Mimikyu is the best.
I absolutely love that they get Mimikyu. Almost Pikachu :p

Also Bewear is totally gonna be the new Victreebel for James. I can see it wanting to hug James constantly causing him pain :lol

Please tell me that's Ash's old Lapras

What do you guys think though? Fun fact, my current avatar is based off of this moment.

tumblr_nnqwtxk2H21r8sc3ro5_400.gif

batfax

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It just seems like such a... weird thing and I'm probably most curious as to how they'll transition to this, as it's such a weird direction to go in from the rest of the series.

I'll tell you what happens. Ash loses. He always loses. He's forever subjected to losing until the end of time. That's it. The end. Play the games.

Since this anime is in school, I can only imagine he's going to do great and then inexplicably fail the final exam because he answers Pikachu's tail is shaped like a volt tackle instead of a thunderbolt. Or he'll get hit by this crap again.

They should just cancel this and continue the Origin's story with Red, much better.

Good news! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMzwcIG8vgk

Mr-Joker

Banned
Out of curiosity where you watching the dub or the sub? I ask because it makes a big difference since the sub strips out a lot of the music ruining the mood.

I can see why people would be board by the average filler episode where barely anything happens. Team Ash does a thing, meets a new Pokemon of the day, fights off Team rocket, the end. I got board of those episodes long ago myself and skipped over most of them.

But the rest when it's actually focused on the plot was pretty good and the gym battles where amazing!

I watched the Sub and I just felt disconnected with the cast, the story and could very quickly that the whole Ash x Serena shipping that the writer were pushing wasn't going to amount to anything.

I bailed out around when he caught when his Fletchling evolved into Fletchinder and dipped in and out to see if it got better...it didn't.

They should just cancel this and continue the Origin's story with Red, much better.

Why? When the current animé is doing just fine to promote the game.

Reminder the animé is a marketing tool aim primary at kids, it is not aimed at grown adult who spend time posting on a forum board bitching about said show.

I'll tell you what happens. Ash loses. He always loses. He's forever subjected to losing until the end of time. That's it. The end. Play the games, you're better than Ash.

Again why do you care if people watch the animé and enjoy it?

I watched the Sinnoh animé and you know what? I enjoyed the Ash rivalry with Paul and how it developed over the show with it climaxing at the league.

Yeah it wasn't perfect and sure Ash lost at the league against a deus ex machina trainer but you know what? I actually enjoyed that fight, especially when Sceptile broke out of his sleep and finished off Darkrai with his Leaf Blade a feat that no trainers could do.

The most important question: Is Serena in this?

Doesn't look like it.

Not

Banned
It'd be cool if they made a female main character for one of these so they could turn the main male avatar into a character for once

NeonZ

It'd be cool if they made a female main character for one of these so they could turn the main male avatar into a character for once

They could easily have the new male trainer as the male traveling companion for a season, they just won't for the same arbitrary reason many other traditions of the anime exist.

Reminder the animé is a marketing tool aim primary at kids, it is not aimed at grown adult who spend time posting on a forum board bitching about said show
The anime isn't doing fine though. Its ratings and relative ranking compared to other anime have steadily dropped through Best Wishes and XY, and now it doesn't even rank in the top 10 ratings anymore unless multiple shows don't air. There's a reason this season has such a big visual and overall style change in the first place.

And, actually, the big issue with the anime is that it's not doing its job either. The higher ups on the production at least seem very attached to traditions that have no meaning to the children watching it nowadays or the overall Pokemon franchise outside of the anime itself, which is why it's becoming irrelevant in the first place. But, rather than changing it up to increase the marketing for the games by going with stronger synergy, it seems like they'll attempt once again to push an original package with some game elements and designs.

MaKTaiL

Reminder the animé is a marketing tool aim primary at kids, it is not aimed at grown adult who spend time posting on a forum board bitching about said show.

Because Pokemon Origins did a far better job promoting the game in 5 episodes than the original ever did in 800.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The anime isn't doing fine though. Its ratings and relative ranking compared to other anime have steadily dropped through Best Wishes and XY, and now it doesn't even rank in the top 10 ratings anymore unless multiple shows don't air. There's a reason this season has such a big visual and overall style change in the first place.

And, actually, the big issue with the anime is that it's not doing its job either. The higher ups on the production at least seem very attached to traditions that have no meaning to the children watching it nowadays or the overall Pokemon franchise outside of the anime itself, which is why it's becoming irrelevant in the first place. But, rather than changing it up to increase the marketing for the games by going with stronger synergy, it seems like they'll attempt once again to push an original package with some game elements and designs.

All animé in Japan have their rating dropping, plus outside of Japan the animé is doing fine.

Because Pokemon Origins did a far better job promoting the game in 5 episodes than the original ever did in 800.

In 800 episodes the animé have promoted;

-Pokémon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow,
-Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal,
-Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald,
-Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen
-Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
-Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
-Pokémon Black/White/Black 2/White 2
-Pokémon X/Y
-Pokémon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire

Plus they have also promoted;

Pokémon Rangers and Pokémon Snap select Pokémon who merchandise become popular such as Oshawott.

Origin promoted

-Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen, which wasn't in print at the time of its airing.
-Pokémon X/Y via Mega Charizard X in the final episode.

So no Pokémon Origin did not do a better job in promoting the series than the Animé and all it did was attract the older fan base back into the series as Origin was not aimed at the younger market.

So which starter do you think Ash will pick?

The one that is the most marketable and hopefully not Rowlet as I don't want see him with an all flyer team.

Relevant to this thread is a tweet by Ken Ootsuka, one of the top Japanese animators. He specializes in mecha animation, in shows such as Gundam Build Fighters and Concrete Revolutio, though he can do all kinds of animation well. He had this to say about the new Sun and Moon anime footage:

Its definitely very whimsical and softer than before but I feel like this would have been much better with a different protagonist. XYZ's art style is great, wish they kept it going.

Then again, Ash actually looks like a little kid now so I guess thats something.

Jeffrey

I hope ash looking more childish doesn't hurt his confidence and intelligence from last season.

Ash was great in xyz.

The fuck are you guys talking about.

The new art style looks fantastic and is a great facelift to a sterile art direction. A great fit for a laid-back tropical island arc.

I'm digging it a lot. The concept is at least novel, and Ash looks much more animated and goofy now, I like all the Alola characters being around. Team Rocket has my two favorite friccin Pokémon so that'll be amazing.

Color me optimistic for it!

Strimei

The most important question: Is Serena in this?

Doesn't look that way, as expected.

Honestly, anyone not expecting things to be reset like usual between regions were kidding themselves.

(Though I confess, I didn't expect things to be reset like this)

Jesus, that looks disgusting, terrible. It is as if they fired the whole drawing team and hired interns to do the same job. "Fuck it, let's not waste more money on this."

Bamboo 竹;216968187 said:
FB_IMG_1473940365720.jpg

Looks like The Pokémon Company hired the Dragon Ball Super animators.

Did you really just pick an in-between drawing amongst keyframes in a TV animation production to make a shitty point.

Gengahrrr

I see the PM version of hyperbole GAF have made their way into the thread.

One 30 second trailer and we've already decided the series is trash huh?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Looks great. Will watch clips on anitwitter.

-sdp

The show hasn't been doing great, they've been doing the badges thing for nearly 20 years and the upcoming game has a change in the formula. They're experimenting with something new, yeah the new animation doesn't seem as good and I don't like the new art style but that's likely to the show not doing well so a lower budget for animation and a change to see if they bring new viewers.

I'm up for it until we see it, we've seen the anime change things for better and worse so who knows and you know what? it may end up being like the normal show since I still remember rampant specualtion like how Dawn would be the main character and Ash would be her co-star or when everyone thought Brock would leave during D/P so we never realy know until it starts airing.

Top Bottom