• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Principal says students shouldn’t wear leggings unless they are a size 2 or smaller

SOUTH CAROLINA — A high school principal in South Carolina has prompted some controversy after saying female students shouldn’t wear leggings unless they are at least as small as a size 2.

WCBD News 2 reports that principal Heather Taylor made the comments during a discussion with ninth and 10th grade students about the school’s dress code.

She is heard in an audio recording saying: “I’ve told you this before, I’m going to tell you this now, unless you are a size zero or two and you wear something like that, even though you’re not fat, you look fat.”

TODAY requested comments from the principal and the school district, but had not received a response as of Friday morning.

According to the high school’s website, leggings, tights, yoga pants and spandex must be worn under clothing that cover to mid-thigh.

http://fox8.com/2017/08/25/principa...leggings-unless-they-are-a-size-2-or-smaller/

200w.gif

Alienous

Shouldn't that say 'Principal suggests students shouldn't wear leggings unless they are a size 2 or smaller'?

In any case, what a bizarre concern.

HotHamBoy

How do y'all feel about wearing leggings to school in general?

I'm personally of the belief that non-gender-specific uniforms are the best way to go because kids shit all over each other for what they wear, especially if they are poor.

Kthulhu

They didn't even let girls wear leggings at my school.

I'm personally of the belief that non-gender-specific uniforms are the best way to go because kids shit all over each other for what they wear, especially if they are poor.

I'd love to see what the consensus is amongst child psychologists about wether or not uniforms are good for kids.

Kinsei

Banned

Leggings are fine.

Uniforms suck.

lenovox1

That's stupid.
Size 5 is where it's at.

Odd number sizes, like 5 are a juniors size only intended for teenagers. A size 5 would fit a size 4 adults, for reference.

The high school principal is talking about adult women's sizes for some reason. I'm guessing she's familiar with Lululemon's sizing for whatever reason.

MIMIC

Banned

I teach. I don't like it.

I teach in two different districts: one with uniforms and one without. The kids look really nice in uniforms. The district without uniforms can get a little crazy.

TissueBox

Well, that's the dress code, I guess... at least for now. It's interesting to see the variation in some schools. I kind of get some restrictions but others make me laugh when I remember how carefully people treated the attire then (ie in high school).

I teach. I don't like it.

I teach in two different districts: one with uniforms and one without. The kids look really nice in uniforms. The district without uniforms can get a little crazy.

Don't uniforms also take quite the chunk out of a school's finances? I heard that's part of the reason why the US doesn't really impose them but then again that's not stopping other places on the globe.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Somebody does not like big butts..... and apparently she wasn't smart enough to lie.

Sir Mix A Lot should go there and school her

This is heartbreaking. Who gives a shit if some high school girls look fat? They're there to learn, not to look good.

That's stupid.
Size 5 is where it's at.

Fucking disgusting.

This makes sense in theory, but I went to catholic school and I was relentlessly bullied for years, and the uniform doesn't really do anything to fix bullying. Kids will find anything to bully you if you're an easy enough target.

Plus leggings are comfy and easy to put on and wear, which makes them perfect for school.

kirblar

Mandating that they're only ok as underwear is fine and a good policy.

Principal's comments are of course ridiculous.

lenovox1

Don't uniforms also take quite the chunk out of a school's finances? I heard that's part of the reason why the US doesn't really impose them but then again that's not stopping other places on the globe.

In US public school, a uniform is a strict clothing guideline or standard.

It enforces kids to wear a select color, style, and fit within a specific guideline. All clothes are provided by the child and their parents.

Top Bottom